PDA

View Full Version : So who will win the ICS Championship in 2008?

!!WALDO!!
18th March 2008, 21:58
:)

DazzlaF1
18th March 2008, 22:59
Scott Dixon, he'll bounce back from last years final lap heartache :up:

ACTF_ZETT
18th March 2008, 23:27
Stupid question.

Your 2008 Indy Car Champion

Your 2008 Indianapolis 500 Champion

TONY

KANAAN!!!!!!!!

Alexamateo
18th March 2008, 23:58
Helio Castroneves!

IWUTitan90
19th March 2008, 01:55
How about deja vu all over again?

"Chicklets" Wheldon wins, then goes to NASCAR.

I will be secretly pulling for Ryan Hunter-Reay all season though. ;)

F1boat
19th March 2008, 05:39
Dan Wheldon!

jwhite9185
19th March 2008, 12:27
Kanaan or the Ganassi boys. Be nice to see Castroneves finally get a championship though.

MAX_THRUST
19th March 2008, 12:28
You could throw a dart at all the drivers faces on a dart board and have more chance of picking the winner!!!!

I really think anyone could win it and that is the biggest asset the IRL ever had, the fact that up until the last race there is normally a few guys in with a shout. This year wil be more competetive than ever before, once some of the new teams get up to speed.

With 26 cars on the grid you only have to qualify badly and your weekend is ruined, but then you could always do an Alex Zanardi and win from the back.

I hope I get to see the racing on UK tv. No I'm not paying for SKY, I hate football.

JSH
19th March 2008, 13:04
Scott Dixon, he'll bounce back from last years final lap heartache :up:

I'll second that.

Placid
20th March 2008, 03:34
I'll second that.

Third on that. Clincher at Belle Isle. Dixon.

RJL25
20th March 2008, 05:16
As an aussie, i'll be happy if Ryan Briscoe can be a genuine championship contender, ok there isn't alot of chance of him winning in his first year back in the series and only his second year overall, but if he can get in there and have a few wins i'll be a very happy aussie! The guy has the talent and driving a penske he also has the equipment to do the job!

I think he is also alot more mature then he was in 2005 with ganassi, you won't see him throwing the car off the road every time he is in a good position like he did in 05!

millencolin
20th March 2008, 06:59
I agree with RJL25, Briscoe is in with a real shot of winning it. Question i want to find out is, Can Ryan steal Will Power's thunder and win at Surfers Paradise? That is Will's race, he is the one driver that everyone at the event knows, he is the one driver everyone at Indy wants to win! If Will is going to be competiting for race wins, it will be at Surfers for sure, unfortuately I don't think he can mount a championship challenge like he did last year.

I say its the year of Ryan, but i'm just glad I have two fast, competitive Aussies in the field.

RJL25
20th March 2008, 10:30
I say its the year of Ryan, but i'm just glad I have two fast, competitive Aussies in the field.

bloody oath mate! Its been a LONG time since i have genuinely been looking forward to an american open wheel season! Its gonna be great! I wonder though who is televising it here in australia? Channel 7 ran with champcar last year mainly because they had to in order to televise the GC indy, so will they be doing the same again this year? Channel 10 ofcourse have the rights to the indy 500 so i wonder if there is gonna be a nasty conflict there? Or maybe foxtel is gonna show it for us? I know ESPN show'd the 500 last year as well as most other IRL races...

Marbles
20th March 2008, 11:45
(***SPOILER ALERT***)

Having just returned from the future I can safely inform you that not only will Justin Wilson win the championship, he will also win the Indy 500! Place your bets now!

Oh, and Gold will hit 1,200 an ounce after dipping down to 750. Stick with it.

(***END OF SPOILER ALERT***)

Chris R
20th March 2008, 11:54
Any of the following have a real shot at the title - I would say there is a 95% chance one of them will win - but I have not a clue which one....

Dixon
Wheldon
Kanaan (perhaps AGR should take a look at its drivers if only 1 of them is a real contender)
Castro-Neves
Briscoe

the real spoilers would potentially be Wilson and Power if their teams roll out more competitive than expected....

RJL25
20th March 2008, 12:27
although i have no doubt whatsoever that wilson and power will be the most competitive of the champcar boys, i honestly think their early season form coming to grips with the cars and the ovals will rule them out. Lets not forget that the only ovals these two have ever seen is milwaukee which ofcourse is a very different kind of oval compared to most of the other ovals on the calander.. there will definetly be an adjustment period for them.

i think they will start being competitive towards the end of the year though, they are both in very good teams

BobGarage
20th March 2008, 12:35
Lets not forget that the only ovals these two have ever seen is milwaukee

not quite true. Justin tested for Newman Hass at Homestead at the end of 2002 before he went to F1 and they signed Seebass. And he also drove at LVMS in '04 finishing 8th and '05 finishing 11th.

jwhite9185
20th March 2008, 12:51
although i have no doubt whatsoever that wilson and power will be the most competitive of the champcar boys, i honestly think their early season form coming to grips with the cars and the ovals will rule them out. Lets not forget that the only ovals these two have ever seen is milwaukee which ofcourse is a very different kind of oval compared to most of the other ovals on the calander.. there will definetly be an adjustment period for them.

i think they will start being competitive towards the end of the year though, they are both in very good teams

Fernandez was in a similar situation when he came over in 04. Seem to remember he had a pretty slow start but won 3 races in the end and finished 5th overall.

RJL25
20th March 2008, 15:08
Fernandez was in a similar situation when he came over in 04. Seem to remember he had a pretty slow start but won 3 races in the end and finished 5th overall.

yeah but it was a different situation. No disrespect to the founding IRL teams but the CART teams that came over where much much MUCH stronger in terms of resources and funding then the majority of the pre-existing IRL teams at the time. This is a different situation, the champcar teams coming over are generally weaker then the existing IRL teams with the possible exemption of NHL, so there is most definetly a certain amount of catching up to do, particularly for conquest, dale coyne racing and HVM. KV Racing and NHL will adapt no doubt, but it will take a while and they probably won't be truly competitive in outright championship terms untill the new package comes along

DanicaFan
21st March 2008, 18:48
Danica Patrick for sure. :)