PDA

View Full Version : N/H/L pulls out of Sebring test.

bblocker68
18th March 2008, 20:07
INDYCAR: Newman/Haas/Lanigan Pulls Out of Sebring Test

Written by: RACER Staff http://www.racer.com 03/18/2008 - 03:48 PM
Lincolnshire, Ill.

Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing was among the first of the former Champ Car teams to confirm that it would be making the transition to the IndyCar Series following last month’s announcement that the two groups would run a unified schedule this season, but its drivers Justin Wilson and Graham Rahal will not be among the teams testing at Sebring International Raceway this week. The team, which has partnered with Rahal Letterman Racing during the transition period, took delivery of two IndyCar Series Dallara-Hondas on March 3, but now says a shortage of available parts will prevent it from running until next week’s open tests at Homestead-Miami Speedway on March 24-25.

“Despite the best efforts of Dallara and the IndyCar Series, we still don’t have all the parts necessary to be ready in time to test in Sebring,” said NHLR General Manager Brian Lisles. “It is a big disappointment for the team and an enormous setback, because we will be losing valuable track time that will be difficult to recover. The team continues to work hard to complete the cars in time for the Homestead test March 24-25.”

“Obviously I am disappointed that I won’t be testing at Sebring,” said Wilson. “I was looking forward to trying out the Dallara for the first time and making some progress on our 2008 season. The circumstances have come about that we won’t be able to make it and I know the team will use the extra time wisely. They said right from the start that they will not put out a car that is not up to their usual high standard of preparation. It is reassuring for me to know that I will have a reliable car especially given the commitment necessary to compete on some of these high-speed tracks.”

Commented teammate Graham Rahal, “It is disappointing to not be testing in Sebring this week but we all understand that this team has been used to sending the car out on the racetrack without any doubts in their mind that their preparation was 100-percent perfect. We have found ourselves in a position where this would not be the case and instead we felt that it would be best to focus our efforts on the Homestead test and race. This will give us more time to prepare for the busy upcoming schedule.”

DazzlaF1
18th March 2008, 20:16
You remember all that stuff Kalkohven and George were saying about wanting in the future to bring in extra manufacturers along with Dallara like Champ Car (nee CART) used to have in its heyday? Well in my opinion, this is evidence that it's needed

dataman1
18th March 2008, 20:49
Based upon NHL demands in selecting the DP01 fuel cell they installed, they are always looking for an edge. It would not surprise me to hear that they rejected parts due to tolerance measurements. In other words, I suspect the parts were available but did not pass their standards. IMO

EagleEye
18th March 2008, 21:08
Based upon NHL demands in selecting the DP01 fuel cell they installed, they are always looking for an edge. It would not surprise me to hear that they rejected parts due to tolerance measurements. In other words, I suspect the parts were available but did not pass their standards. IMO

Wrong...there was a shortage of suspension and gearbox parts. Some teams were able to get some things together, and some were not. Dallara and the IRL are doing their best to get things together, but there will be some short term issues.

BobGarage
18th March 2008, 21:12
Wrong...there was a shortage of suspension and gearbox parts. Some teams were able to get some things together, and some were not. Dallara and the IRL are doing their best to get things together, but there will be some short term issues.

how is there this shortage?

There is never trouble getting 33 cars going every year for the 500 so why are we having problems at the moment with the extra cars that take the grid up to 23???

nanders
18th March 2008, 21:13
how is there this shortage?

There is never trouble getting 33 cars going every year for the 500 so why are we having problems at the moment with the extra cars that take the grid up to 23???

Sounds like new road course parts.

Krazy_Knuck
18th March 2008, 21:20
Why doesn't Rahal Letterman Racing give them a back-up car for the drivers to at least get use to the car??????...This is getting ridiculous....

bblocker68
18th March 2008, 21:57
I wondered the same thing, but I fear that they're afraid of getting their car wrecked.

garyshell
18th March 2008, 21:59
Why doesn't Rahal Letterman Racing give them a back-up car for the drivers to at least get use to the car??????...This is getting ridiculous....

I wondered about this. But forget the backup car for a second. If the parts will be available by the Homestead race as was stated, why can't the existing teams just loan them to the ChampCar newcomers? The existing teams can't test until then anyway, so they will not need them. This all sounds a bit strange.

Gary

Krazy_Knuck
18th March 2008, 22:06
I wondered the same thing, but I fear that they're afraid of getting their car wrecked.

..... but's it's Rahal's own son!!! :)

garyshell
19th March 2008, 00:38
Guys N/H/L wasn't talking about needing a car. They said they were short on PARTS. The very same parts they said they would have in hand by Homestead. So why can't Rahal Letterman or some other existing team who can't test until Homestead just loan them the parts? I am baffled by this turn of events.

Gary

Hoop-98
19th March 2008, 01:01
Pulling off this bailout at all is a bit of a minor miracle. Let's, IMHO, get through this season and hope for pleasant surprises. A CCX win on an oval, or a RC, some good contests up front, and something to build on.

On the topic, there are way too many things that could be out of place to even begin second guessing, I am just going to watch and see.

I was gong to Homestead but our Longhorns may be playing in town for the Final 4 so maybe I'll catch St. Pete. In 2004 I was at LB when they unloaded the first time, to see who was going to show up. They were assembling Del Monte's car from spare HVM parts.

It will definitely be different (in a good way?) to be in an IRL paddock for the first time with the CCXers.

Quit the grinning and drop the linen (green flag of course).

rh

IWUTitan90
19th March 2008, 02:03
Guys N/H/L wasn't talking about needing a car. They said they were short on PARTS. The very same parts they said they would have in hand by Homestead. So why can't Rahal Letterman or some other existing team who can't test until Homestead just loan them the parts? I am baffled by this turn of events.

Gary

Exactly what I was thinking Gary. When you take into account how many times in their interviews, Graham and Justin stated how difficult it was going to be with getting a "late start", one would think the team would use whatever means available to get at least one car on track. Beg, borrow or steal, so to say.

nigelred5
19th March 2008, 02:08
The IRL could always allow the teams time on the roadcourse when they get to Homestead. The test doesn't have to be strictly the oval. My understanding was various tests by the IRL at homestead have utilized both tracks in the past.

IWUTitan90
19th March 2008, 02:17
The IRL could always allow the teams time on the roadcourse when they get to Homestead. The test doesn't have to be strictly the oval. My understanding was various tests by the IRL at homestead have utilized both tracks in the past.

Maybe they will if circumstances warrant it. But I've got to believe there is more to this.

NHL was really never in question as to running in the ICS, yet they don't have parts while other teams do. Perhaps I'm wrong and maybe Bachelart or some other team is in the same boat, and we just haven't heard of it yet.

nigelred5
19th March 2008, 11:46
I suspect the issue with NHL would be more the quality of the available parts than the actual availability. NHL isn't going to put a car on track with junk or used parts. What was the highest number of cars on roadcourses last season, 20? Aren't most of them still in business? 33 cars built for Indy isn't the same as 33 cars in a road course configuration.

namarow
19th March 2008, 15:16
great merger

bblocker68
19th March 2008, 15:41
It'll be interesting to see who will be on track today! I'm hoping for the best.

jimispeed
19th March 2008, 15:46
great merger

Ruben Barrios
19th March 2008, 17:50
Never a merger Namarow... it was only called a merger to let the principals at CCWS save face... It was a surrender...

gofastandwynn
19th March 2008, 19:20
Guys N/H/L wasn't talking about needing a car. They said they were short on PARTS. The very same parts they said they would have in hand by Homestead?

Gary

Not quite. There are a number of changes made to the Indy cars between the road course and oval configurations .

For the suspension, they will run different wishbones on the front of the car and uprights on the left side of the car. They will also run a limited-slip differential for the road courses and not for the ovals.

The steering racks are completely different from the oval & road courses, as are the breaking packages. The cars run carbon rotors & 4 piston calipers on the oval, with steel rotors & 6 piston calipers on the road course. There are also a number of changes that have to be made to the oil & fuel pickups on the car, IIRC.

So you see, there are a number of differences between the internals that could prevent NHL from running if they had one and not the other.

Pat Wiatrowski
19th March 2008, 19:30
Time to forget about who won/lost/merged etc. and move on, don't ya think?

No! Never forget! Great Sell-out.

weeflyonthewall
19th March 2008, 19:54

Like converting from an oval set-up to street set-up is just a small thing? Maybe Eagle Eye can fill in the blanks. Last I heard you can easily burn a few hours getting the stagger realigned.

nigelred5
19th March 2008, 23:36
Like converting from an oval set-up to street set-up is just a small thing? Maybe Eagle Eye can fill in the blanks. Last I heard you can easily burn a few hours getting the stagger realigned.

Never said anything of the sort, but it has to my knowledge, been done in the past. It doesn't have to be a one day test, NHL and the series has the scratch to light the place up and test all night if they want or need to. They can always set up one chassis for oval and one for road course. They need all the data and track time they can get, though I suppose oval data is much more important right now than roadcourse, and they will learn some general things about the chassis regardless of which setup they are running. the first race is basically a write-off anyway at this stage in the game and they do have at minimum the baseline info from RLR to hit the track in St Pete. I'm sure when they finally hit a roadcourse again in July, they will have learned enough to be fairly competetive.

pits4me
21st March 2008, 05:58

What about all the parts that had stress fractures and cross threads, etc. A certain team member noted Carl felt insulted by the crap TG sent them. Considering how hard the IRL has been trying to get NHR over you have thought he would have been treated to at least one reliable chassis and drive train. In hindsight the CC owners do have a higher quality standard for driver safety.

gofastandwynn
21st March 2008, 11:38
According to the Indy Star, the IRL has offered to find NHL track time at Sebring during the scheduled Pro Series open test on March 31 and April 1.

bblocker68
21st March 2008, 15:42
It sounded to me like they didn't get enough time with the engine, since it was only delivered last Tuesday (?). Did all the CC teams receive their engines at the same time?

I hope they'll be ready for Monday.

garyshell
21st March 2008, 16:29
It sounded to me like they didn't get enough time with the engine, since it was only delivered last Tuesday (?). Did all the CC teams receive their engines at the same time?

I hope they'll be ready for Monday.

I am hearing it was more than that. It was "clearly defective" parts. But I admit I am getting that third or fourth hand, so take it as you wish.

Gary

cartpix
21st March 2008, 17:13
I am hearing it was more than that. It was "clearly defective" parts. But I admit I am getting that third or fourth hand, so take it as you wish.

Gary
It could also be a case of sour grapes. As the saying goes, some would complain if you hung them with a new rope. Not hearing first hand or knowing the personalities involved, I am, of course speculating. But weren't the teams supposed to get a new chassis? How is it there is stress cracks & cross threaded bolts, on a a new chassis. I could see that, on the used chassis, they were supposed to receive, along with the new one. I wouldn't expect the used chassis to be someones pristine one race tub or an unused spare.

Jeff

garyshell
21st March 2008, 17:29
It could also be a case of sour grapes. As the saying goes, some would complain if you hung them with a new rope. Not hearing first hand or knowing the personalities involved, I am, of course speculating. But weren't the teams supposed to get a new chassis? How is it there is stress cracks & cross threaded bolts, on a a new chassis. I could see that, on the used chassis, they were supposed to receive, along with the new one. I wouldn't expect the used chassis to be someones pristine one race tub or an unused spare.

Jeff

The thread was INITIALLY about NHLR not being in Sebring, and I would hardly categorize them as the "sour grapes" type. But to go a step further it was not about the new chassis, it was about the spare parts they received which they would have needed to take to Sebring along with the new chassis. But like I said, all I have is I heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy etc. etc. and we all know that sort of info is sketchy at best.

Gary

cartpix
21st March 2008, 18:09
The thread was INITIALLY about NHLR not being in Sebring, and I would hardly categorize them as the "sour grapes" type. But to go a step further it was not about the new chassis, it was about the spare parts they received which they would have needed to take to Sebring along with the new chassis. But like I said, all I have is I heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy etc. etc. and we all know that sort of info is sketchy at best.

Gary

Sour grapes was a bad choice of words. What I meant was some people are very negative and complain about everything. Maybe not the team member but the guy who heard it from the guy that heard it is the negative one. Maybe that guy is a regular over at that other site & is part of the F-Troop. Say he hears that one bolt was stripped & maybe a control arm had a cosmetic flaw and it was said they weren't as nice as the stuff they used to get, from Lola. That negative person blows it out of proportion into EVERYTHING they got was junk.

Like you said, you heard it 3rd or 4th hand & I heard it from you. ;-)

Jeff

IWUTitan90
21st March 2008, 19:56

Jeff

I have seen this term used in a couple different places, "unused spare". Wouldn't an unused spare be, literally, a new chassis? Do teams keep a chassis for nothing other than wind tunnel or shaker rig testing? Maybe I am taking "unused" to mean "never used at all", when it means "never used in a race, but has a gazillion test miles on it".
IIRC, one other place I saw this term used, was when Jon Herb sold the Racing Professionals cars back to the league. I believe it said he sold "the Dallara used at Indy and Chicagoland, as well as an unused spare, to be used as "pool cars" for the incoming CC teams".

pits4me
21st March 2008, 21:58
Right