PDA

View Full Version : Williams Toyota

Norwegian Blue
17th March 2008, 11:28
Is anybody else loving seeing Williams near the top of the Constructors as much as I am! Great to see a proper pure racing team doing so well, lets make the most of it while they're still there... I really do hope they can stay in the fight near the top of the leaderboard!

Mark
17th March 2008, 11:44
One wonders why the Toyota works team carries on when Williams are clearly better!

pino
17th March 2008, 11:47
Wish Jarno was there insted of at Toyota :(

MAX_THRUST
17th March 2008, 12:12
Great job by Williams, and as a Williams I couldn't be happier....

Well done Young Nico...

Agree Toyota need to give it up and support Wiliams more with money into the team.

veeten
17th March 2008, 13:24
as I said in my thread, and this weekend's events have shown, Toyota is better as a supply & support than as a actual team. And while what happened to Glock was not the fault of the team, Jarno's exit was totally theirs with mechanical failure way too soon in the race.

Rosberg & Nakajima brought home points using the same engine as the 'house' team, while Toyota F1, using a Williams-designed transaxle, lets down Trulli.

Look familiar?... Williams is the F1 equivalent of what Gibbs Racing has done recently in NASCAR; independent engineering combined with manufacturer support = better results than the 'house' team has presented.

You all know my thoughts... sell to Williams and get better results.

aryan
17th March 2008, 13:53
I agree, it's time for Toyota to give up their works team. The writing has long been on the wall, they just don't see it.

Instead they should focus and support Williams, who has clearly shown that they deserve that support. Toyota will benefit much more from marketing a Toyota-engined championship-winning car, than marketting a lackluster midfield works car.

jens
17th March 2008, 17:18
We need Toyota's team in F1, because without them we would have less teams in F1. :p : They probably still haven't given up the hope of a breakthrough and actually looked quite competitive at Melbourne. Williams looked a fraction faster, but pace-wise nothing to be ashamed of for Toyota. Maybe sometimes the car is capable of getting to the finish line too. :p :

But indeed a Williams-Toyota factory team could be a potential title contender!

truefan72
17th March 2008, 17:25
We need Toyota's team in F1, because without them we would have less teams in F1. :p : They probably still haven't given up the hope of a breakthrough and actually looked quite competitive at Melbourne. Williams looked a fraction faster, but pace-wise nothing to be ashamed of for Toyota. Maybe sometimes the car is capable of getting to the finish line too. :p :

But indeed a Williams-Toyota factory team could be a potential title contender!

I sorta agree

But I think it would be a shame to loose an f1 team. perhaps they should sell the outfit to a consortium ready to step in and then focus on williams.

Also supply that new team with toyota engines as well.

That will be the only way I would accept their exit as a team from F1.
I was actually counting on seeing 24 cars this year and the prospect of loosing another team doesn't sit well with me.

aryan
18th March 2008, 01:54
Toyota is a well-equipped team with lots of advance technology such as wind tunnels. It is no Arrows to default and be left alone. If Toyota prices it right, I'm sure there are buyers.

They should focus on Williams, sell the current team, and supply both teams with Toyota engines to maximise their chances. That would be an honourable exit strategy to a dismal effort.

leopard
18th March 2008, 07:39
The problem of supporting someone else team is they can't free and easy to use the team to promote their own product and their general interest.
Team owner, in this case Williams, will take control and drive the team for any decisions made on the team. This could be one of reason why should BMW chose to divorce from Williams.

Valve Bounce
18th March 2008, 11:16
One wonders why the Toyota works team carries on when Williams are clearly better!

It's all about "Customer Satisfaction".

ArrowsFA1
18th March 2008, 11:28
Rosberg's podium was a great result for the team :up: Williams have been making steady progress recently and they're looking strong contenders. Having a great driver in Nico, and the support of Toyota seems to be working, although it's interesting to think what more they could be achieving if they were the Toyota 'works' team.

I've always thought that manufacturers are better served working with a team like Williams rather than trying to go it alone. Renault and Honda's previous successes as engine suppliers support this IMHO, and although Renault have won two titles recently that team is essentially the old Benetton team re-branded. I guess you could argue that the McLaren-Mercedes partnership hasn't produced many titles, but they have almost always been contenders, and it's hard to see Mercedes doing better alone, unless they 'did' a Benetton->Renault type of deal.

Valve Bounce
18th March 2008, 11:49
Rosberg's podium was a great result for the team :up: Williams have been making steady progress recently and they're looking strong contenders. Having a great driver in Nico, and the support of Toyota seems to be working, although it's interesting to think what more they could be achieving if they were the Toyota 'works' team.

I've always thought that manufacturers are better served working with a team like Williams rather than trying to go it alone. Renault and Honda's previous successes as engine suppliers support this IMHO, and although Renault have won two titles recently that team is essentially the old Benetton team re-branded. I guess you could argue that the McLaren-Mercedes partnership hasn't produced many titles, but they have almost always been contenders, and it's hard to see Mercedes doing better alone, unless they 'did' a Benetton->Renault type of deal.

You want Flav to run a Benneton-Renault-Mercedes team? That sounds like a great idea. WE could give the #1 driver a Mercedes engine, and the #2 driver a Renault engine.
Goodnight, I'm going to bed now - see you guys tomorrow.

Rudy Tamasz
18th March 2008, 12:23
You want Flav to run a Benneton-Renault-Mercedes team? That sounds like a great idea. WE could give the #1 driver a Mercedes engine, and the #2 driver a Renault engine.
Goodnight, I'm going to bed now - see you guys tomorrow.

I guess that wasn't impossible in the good old days of 1960s.

SGWilko
18th March 2008, 12:30
I've always thought that manufacturers are better served working with a team like Williams rather than trying to go it alone. Renault and Honda's previous successes as engine suppliers support this IMHO

Renault pulled out of F1 as engine supplier because the marketing results from their titles weren't being converted into car sales. They seemed to have fared little better however as team owbers outright.

Mercedes seem to do OK in this dept, as do Ferrari, who, ironically, started the road car division to fund the race team. The phenominal success of late for Ferrari has no doubt swelled their order books, you do see more prestige dealerships flogging Ferrari's these days.

tcsparky
18th March 2008, 16:46
Cheers to Frank, Patrick, Sam and Nico! I suppose it's too much to hope for a win, but I still will hope. A victory would be third place on the Constructor's Championship. As for Toyota, is beating Honda going to enough to keep the program going?