PDA

View Full Version : Supertramp

pino
17th March 2008, 08:10
Yesterday wilst watching a football-video from a spanish web-site, I was very surprised and pleased to listen one of their best song : Child of Vision

What a great Band it was, any fans of them in here ? :D

Sleeper
17th March 2008, 14:20
That reminds me, I really must get Crime of the Century.

PuddleJumper
17th March 2008, 21:29
What a great Band it was, any fans of them in here ? :D
:wave: I bought 'Even in the quietest moments' last week. Superb!

And of course, I have the live in Paris album. ;)

pino
17th March 2008, 22:02
:wave: I bought 'Even in the quietest moments' last week. Superb!

And of course, I have the live in Paris album. ;)

Time for you to buy Breakfest in America, Crime of the Century and Crises ? what Crises ? ;)

LTalbot
18th March 2008, 00:35
I have loved Supertramp since the late 70s when I first heard them. I used to use School as my benchmark when testing speakers. A Soapbox Opera from Crisis what Crisis! is still one of my favorite songs.

edv
18th March 2008, 01:34
I really enjoyed listening to Supertramp when they hit it big with Crime of the Century. I recall seeing them on tour then (1974?) and the concert was quite decent, performing in a proper concert hall. (they even played Sister Moonshine, which they hoped would be featured on a future album!).

I saw them again five years later when they toured in support of Breakfast in America. It was a much bigger show.

One thing they always tried to do was to make their live show sound exactly like the studio work. So I was keen to watch how they would play the 7 simultaneous keyboard parts that can be heard in Child of Vision while they were on stage. To my dismay, they had to pipe in the parts that they couldn't reproduce live. From that moment on, I lost a bit of respect for them, although I still listen to their music once in a while.

Here is a little snippet of a bio of the band for those interested:

Once upon a time in 1969, a young Dutch millionaire by the name of Stanley August Miesegaes gave his acquaintance, vocalist and keyboardist Rick Davies, a "genuine opportunity" to form his own band; he could form the band of his dreams and Miesegaes would pay for it. After placing an ad in Melody Maker, Davies assembled Supertramp alongside co-founders Roger Hodgson (vocals, piano, guitar, cello), Richard Palmer (vocals, guitar, balalaika), and former stage actor Robert Millar (percussion, harmonica). Supertramp released two long-winded progressive rock albums before Miesegaes withdrew his support, and by early 1972, Davies and Hodgson were the only founding members remaining. The pair began an extensive search for replacements and soon pieced together the lineup that would be responsible for Supertramp's definitive sound, comprising new members Doug Thomson (bass), Bob Siebenberg (percussion), and John Helliwell (woodwinds, saxophone, keyboards).

With no money or fan base to speak of, the expanded Supertramp was forced to redesign their sound. Coming up with a more pop-oriented form of progressive rock, the band had a hit with their third album, Crime of the Century. Throughout the decade, Supertramp had a number of best-selling albums, culminating in their 1979 masterpiece Breakfast in America. Breakfast in America marked their first album that tipped the scale completely in the favor of pop songs; on the strength of the hit singles "Goodbye Stranger," "Logical Song," and "Take the Long Way Home," it sold over 18 million copies worldwide. After that album, Supertramp continued to develop a more R&B-flavored style; the change in direction was successful on 1982's Famous Last Words, but the band soon ran out of hits. Hodgson left in 1983 to mount a solo career, and Supertramp continued to sporadically record and tour into the 21st century.

pino
18th March 2008, 08:36
No doubt that their best album is Breakfast in America, and Soapbox Opera :up: is their best song but I love Babaji, Hide in Your Shell, From now on, Gone Hollywood, Lord is Mine, and Child of Vision too ofcourse :D

LTalbot
18th March 2008, 20:12
Agreed. I also really love Fool's Overture.

Holy Man, Rocker Man, Come on Queenie,
Joker Man, Spider Man, Blue Eyed Meanie"

"Live it up, rip it up, why so lazy?
Give it out, dish it out, let's go crazy,
Yeah!"

pino
19th March 2008, 06:23
Ups...had forgotten to mention I love the sax in "From now on" :s mokin:

Garry Walker
3rd April 2008, 19:12
What a great Band it was

Bloody well right!!!