PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open

wacked
16th January 2007, 17:55
who all here watch tennis and are following the Australian Open, Lleyton Hewitt had a close call today.. what a comeback, 2 sets down and to comeback winning the next 3 sets, great game..

who are your favourites for the Open..

Viv
16th January 2007, 18:02
Yep..was a close match. I thought Hewitt would go out in straight sets..but he did well to turn it around.
By favourites do u mean the ones we support or the one we think are most likely to win?
Anyways..my favourites
Safin and Hingis
Most likely
Federer and Clijsters

jso1985
16th January 2007, 19:23
Federer is the favourite and I really doubt someone can beat him right now.
In women is a bit more close, but I think the final will be Clijstesr vs Sharapova

Go Maria :cheese:

slinkster
16th January 2007, 19:25
I like watching tennis, but it's not covered all that well over here unless it's wimbledon. You'll have to let me know how Roddick gets on... ;)

Hazell B
16th January 2007, 20:13
I guess Andy Murray was playing this afternoon, as BBCi had it's interactive thingy flashing away for tennis.

Bias coverage is all we'll get :mark:

Viv
17th January 2007, 19:58
Good match by Gael Monfils today,plays Gasquet next..and it's Roddick against Safin in round 3..that one should be a cracker

raybak
17th January 2007, 20:09
I'm cheering for Wayne Arthurs, Dad is good friends with Wayne's dad so he will be there courtside watching.

Ray

wacked
17th January 2007, 20:10
I would like to see James Blake win.. he has been playing really well..

women i'm a big fan of dementieva, somehow she seems to mess up..
though i think Maria or Mauresmo is gonna win.. anyways lets see..

would like to see Hingis win though..

stevie_gerrard
18th January 2007, 15:02
I guess Andy Murray was playing this afternoon, as BBCi had it's interactive thingy flashing away for tennis.

Bias coverage is all we'll get :mark:

Yeh, they do like to show andy murray games a lot, but there are doing evening sessions via BBCi every morning from 830am, Rafael Nadal game just finished on there today, thrilling match, only just made it.

My favourites, personally i would like Andy to do well but i dont see him winning it, i can see him beating Nadal though, Nadals a quality player, but he struggled a bit when the opponent attacked at him, and played bigger shots (cant remember the guys name now, i think he was german, quite young, could be good talent in the future).

The winners, well, im following the mens draw more at the moment, so i reckon Federer will win it, as for the womens draw, i can see a shock happening there, just dont know which one of the seeds will win it though. too close to call at this early stage.

wacked
18th January 2007, 19:30
well the only Indian there Sania Mirza has lost.. hope she does better in the doubles..

wacked
18th January 2007, 19:35
well the only Indian there Sania Mirza has lost.. hope she does better in the doubles..

stevie_gerrard
20th January 2007, 15:54
Murray v Nadal in the fourth round :D Going to be a classic, both players were clinical today, fantastic stuff! :)

AndyRAC
20th January 2007, 16:32
I like watching tennis, but it's not covered all that well over here unless it's wimbledon. You'll have to let me know how Roddick gets on... ;)

The coverage is still too much for such a dull sport. Rallying would kill for that kind of coverage, and its covered well in the papers. Look today compare the Tennis and the Monte, no contest; hardly a jot about the Rally, it's the Monte Carlo Rally, the one even Joe Public has heard of, yet nothing.

Viv
21st January 2007, 11:43
Day of upsets but good match between Roddick and Ancic today. But if Roddick keeps having such tough matches..I'm afraid he'll be blown away by Federer again :(

wacked
21st January 2007, 20:03
im no a big fan of Roddick.. im cheering for Blake..

Erki
21st January 2007, 20:31
I just wanted to say that Mauresmo and that girl who beat her are both real eye candies!!

stevie_gerrard
22nd January 2007, 19:47
The girl who beat her was Safarova :p :

Nadal beats Murray- Match of the tournament so far, absolutely stunning, yeah Andy may not have won but he put in a world class performance, and it took Nadals world class winners to get him through. A real classic :up:

viper_man
22nd January 2007, 19:49
Great game but I was shouting at the tv in the latter stages, Murray bottled it in my opinion. He should definately have won, he had Nadal on the ropes.

Great game though

jso1985
22nd January 2007, 20:04
quite surprissed at Blake's poor performance agaisnt Gonzalez.
If he can't win on hard courts he's never gonna win anything important

Safarova :lips:

Erki
23rd January 2007, 09:53
May I also add that Martina Hingis looks also pretty delicious? :)

stevie_gerrard
24th January 2007, 12:59
too bad, shes out now :p :

So is Nadal, beaten by Gonzalez, who looks liek the complete player, he was destroying today like youve never seen it, though i havent seen Nadal beaten that heavily for a while.

Erki
24th January 2007, 13:34
too bad, shes out now :p :

Yep, and on the way to me! :)

janneppi
24th January 2007, 13:37
I just wanted to say that Mauresmo and that girl who beat her are both real eye candies!!
I disagree, "Mauri" is really a man womens clothes. :p :

Erki
24th January 2007, 13:41
I disagree, "Mauri" is really a man womens clothes. :p :

I don't understand what you disagree with. I didn't say "Mauri" was a man or a woman or a dog, I just told Mauri is a real eye candy.

IS IT THIS HARD TO UNDERSTAND?

edit: of course it is :p :

janneppi
24th January 2007, 13:56
Well, she'd make for an attractive male i'll give you that. Sort of looks like a skinny Fabio. :p :

harsha
24th January 2007, 14:59
Tommy Haas Vs Fernando Gonzalez should be a cracker......Federer and Tommy Haas seem to be very similar sort of players though...both are good with their forehands and their backhands

jso1985
24th January 2007, 20:28
Hingis has classic beauty :)

stupid Clijsters! :(
Gonzales really impressed me, he looks on his way to the final, still I think Federer will trash him there

Erki
25th January 2007, 06:08
stupid Clijsters! :(

I think she's a pretty one too. :)

Ranger
25th January 2007, 11:29
Williams beat Vaidisova, but that Watch thing was disheartening to see from the Williams camp. :down:

veeten
25th January 2007, 12:21
and now, the match we've all been waiting for...

Sharapova vs. Williams. :D

Erki
25th January 2007, 12:33
Williams is not pretty, Sharapova is..a bit.

May I ask, what are they doing there in Melbourne at all? :)

harsha
25th January 2007, 13:07
federer....wow,great performance by him,have to feel a bit sorry for andy roddick though,that must have been a torture chamber to him in there
6-4 6-0 6-2......

Viv
25th January 2007, 15:10
Wow!!That was too good. I was just thinking Roddick might take it to federer atleast this time ..he's been pretty good in this Openbut it's the same old story again :(

janneppi
25th January 2007, 17:26
R-Fed must have been pissed at loosing to Roddick couple of weeks back, decided now to show how to play. :)

jso1985
26th January 2007, 21:06
he didn't beat him, he kicked his ass big time! :eek:

stevie_gerrard
26th January 2007, 21:58
A Scottish winner at the Australian Open, and its not Andy Murray :p :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6301517.stm

janneppi
26th January 2007, 22:12
Yay Harri! :)

Viv
27th January 2007, 06:07
That was an absolute thrashing by Serena Williams..I was hoping it would go to 3 sets atleast :(

edv
27th January 2007, 06:23
Maria couldn't serve to save her life

harsha
27th January 2007, 15:06
but she sure can grunt though :p :

akv89
28th January 2007, 16:18
Amazing job by Federer (again) to win the Australian open. He didn't lose a single set in the process of doing so. Gonzalez put up a good fight too.

EuroTroll
28th January 2007, 16:25
Yes, Federer really looks to be shaping us as the Michael Schumacher of tennis, doesn't he. Except that he's likeable. :)

It'd be nice to see the 'Slam from him this year. :up:

janneppi
28th January 2007, 16:55
Yes, Federer really looks to be shaping us as the Michael Schumacher of tennis, doesn't he. Except that he's likeable. :)
:
And that he doesn't have a superior racket. :p :

jso1985
28th January 2007, 20:28
Oh oh just wait until the ATP rules out Nadal's racket as illegal in the eve of the French Open final :p : ;)

stevie_gerrard
28th January 2007, 23:19
Awesome federer again, its just tennis beauty, it really is. It's gonna take some stopping him i tell you, i think he is a serious shout for the French this year.