PDA

View Full Version : First race without traction control, brief review

paulcrazy
16th March 2008, 10:01
Before the season started a lot of people tried to predict which drivers would take advantage without TC and which would not. Now after the first race I would say Alonso would absolutely have no problem without TC since I saw the way he pushed his car and some amazing save in the same corner and he climbed from 11th to 4th. Massa was the one whom many peolpe though would have trouble but other than the first turn I didn't see him having too much trouble, actually no worse than how Kimi did. Bourdais was good as expected too from his champ Car experience.

Anyway I would say after watching the first race there are no certain drivers having a lot of advantage or trouble without TC.

TMorel
16th March 2008, 10:19
so what you're saying is, the best drivers are still the best?

What a crazy idea, but you might just be right...

Valve Bounce
16th March 2008, 12:41
Well, Junior had no trouble with it at all during the race. Neither did bunsen :rolleyes: nor ant :(

wedge
16th March 2008, 21:31
Absolutely fantastic!

It's good to have an even greater respect for the drivers.

Drivers punished for making mistakes, cars drifting! power-oversteer!

More please!

BDunnell
16th March 2008, 21:38
Absolutely fantastic!

It's good to have an even greater respect for the drivers.

Drivers punished for making mistakes, cars drifting! power-oversteer!

More please!

I agree.

I also think that no-one, apart from Massa at the first corner, was really caught out too badly by the lack of TC. This pleases me, as did the greater number of little mistakes, which spices things up no end. Watching drivers having to fight the cars a bit is very entertaining and, as you say, makes one appreciate their skills that bit more.

wedge
16th March 2008, 21:46
I agree.

I also think that no-one, apart from Massa at the first corner, was really caught out too badly by the lack of TC. This pleases me, as did the greater number of little mistakes, which spices things up no end. Watching drivers having to fight the cars a bit is very entertaining and, as you say, makes one appreciate their skills that bit more.

Really enjoyed watching Kimi today, especially battling with Rubens and nailing the throttle on used soft tyres & heavy fuel load!

BDunnell
16th March 2008, 22:02
Really enjoyed watching Kimi today, especially battling with Rubens and nailing the throttle on used soft tyres & heavy fuel load!

It was great. And, despite the later errors that affected his race, Barrichello deserves much praise. If that Honda doesn't handle well, you wouldn't have known it from his performance. A sign of Rubens' experience of non-TC-equipped cars, perhaps?

Brown, Jon Brow
16th March 2008, 22:10
I remember Eddie Irvine saying in Autosport a few years ago that TC allows drivers to be lazy in the race. We saw more mistakes today than we saw in the first half of last season.

But does anyone think that it may be harder to follow in a cars dirty air without traction control? Making overtaking even more difficult!

BDunnell
16th March 2008, 22:14
But does anyone think that it may be harder to follow in a cars dirty air without traction control? Making overtaking even more difficult!

If it is, other effects of the TC ban will surely make up for that.

Whether the problem Raikkonen had in passing Barrichello was down to what you say, I'm not sure.

wedge
16th March 2008, 22:44
It was great. And, despite the later errors that affected his race, Barrichello deserves much praise. If that Honda doesn't handle well, you wouldn't have known it from his performance. A sign of Rubens' experience of non-TC-equipped cars, perhaps?

I think Rubens likes this car more and it boosted his confidence.

If you look at Rubens performance last year, he was the better driver in first half but lost significant motivation in the second half.

Whereas Kimi made mistakes, he has a bad habit of losing concentration.

TC will aid overtaking - the car ahead could get wheelspin, the car behind could have a better run out of a corner.

Surely you meant engine braking? If a driver is having problems underbraking then they shouldn't be in F1!

Brown, Jon Brow
16th March 2008, 23:02
TC will aid overtaking - the car ahead could get wheelspin, the car behind could have a better run out of a corner.

Surely you meant engine braking? If a driver is having problems underbraking then they shouldn't be in F1!

I suppose at times no TC will help the chaser and at others it will help the defender.

But the driver ahead can always rely on his aero grip, the driver behind has to rely on mechanical grip more, and with no TC I would imagine this the more difficult. Take the last corner at Melbourne, it used to be flat with TC. The chasing driver could rely on the TC keeping them on the track and get close behind the gearbox of the car ahead and use the slipstream. Certainly from watching Kimi against Rubens, Kimi couldn't perform this move. He couldn't get a good exit as he was too busy fighting the car.

wedge
16th March 2008, 23:21
I suppose at times no TC will help the chaser and at others it will help the defender.

But the driver ahead can always rely on his aero grip, the driver behind has to rely on mechanical grip more, and with no TC I would imagine this the more difficult. Take the last corner at Melbourne, it used to be flat with TC. The chasing driver could rely on the TC keeping them on the track and get close behind the gearbox of the car ahead and use the slipstream. Certainly from watching Kimi against Rubens, Kimi couldn't perform this move. He couldn't get a good exit as he was too busy fighting the car.

Oh I see.

I'd disagree or you either used a bad example!

The last couple of corners at Adelaide is the slowest part of the track! You could be referring to the yo-yo effect. Rubens could easily modulate the throttle to disrupt Kimi's rhythm and get a better run out of the corner - which is what Alonso did to Schumi at Imola and Schumi returning the favour a year later!

Also, Kimi didn't have much of a problem keeping up with Rubens on the rest of the first sector of the circuit.

With dirty air, you suffer more from high speed corners and the effect of dirty air is understeer whereas TC eliminates power-oversteer.

Mark
17th March 2008, 08:19
It's fantastic! I've been wanting rid of the stupid TC from the start, especially getting rif of the launch control makes the starts much more exciting too.

I especially liked Hamiltons qualifying lap, he came out of the final corner and put down slightly too much power but magaged to keep the car going straight, brilliant stuff!

We just need the 2009 changes of reigning back the aerodynamics and putting on slicks!

Valve Bounce
17th March 2008, 08:48
Oh I see.

The last couple of corners at Adelaide is the slowest part of the track! You could be referring to the yo-yo effect. Rubens could easily modulate the throttle to disrupt Kimi's rhythm and get a better run out of the corner - which is what Alonso did to Schumi at Imola and Schumi returning the favour a year later!

My memory is not that good, but I don't remember Kimi ever racing Rubens in Adelaide.

I also take it that you are referring to James Allen's Xylophone effect.