PDA

View Full Version : Changes to the schedule.

gloomyDAY
15th March 2008, 23:36
I've noticed that rallying allows for very little time to develop a car, so why not make a few changes to the schedule?

Since there are going to be fewer rallies it would be simpler to start the WRC season later in the year. Maybe beginning in late April or even until May. Having 12 rallies for the coming year would mean that the rallies would be well spread out and eliminate the summer break. Then the season could end in December. That would allow 4-5 months for teams to develop their new cars for the coming season.

I'm not a fan of sitting on my hands for an entire month waiting for the action to recommence in the summer. The show should go on and never lose momentum during the season. I also don't understand why teams should be developing their cars during the season when they should be competitive from the start. Maybe placing more pressure on teams to succeed in the off-season will make for a season filled with a lot more fun.

Yeah, I'm coming from a naive point of view since there would be logistical nightmares trying to change venues, dates, et cetera. Now before you guys start tearing this apart and poking holes in all of my rhetoric check out how I think the coming seasons should be planned.

For example, take the year 2012.

1) Finland
May 24-27

2) Argentina
June 7-10

3) Mexico
June 28-July 1

4) Jordan
July 19-24

5) Greece
August 2-5

6) Germany
August 30-September 2

7) Italy
September 20-23

8) Japan
October 4-7

9) New Zealand
October 18-21

10) Ireland
November 1-4

11) Sweden
November 22-25

12) GB
December 13-16

SubaruNorway
16th March 2008, 00:00
You can't run Sweden in November though, think it's difficult in December to even if the move it further north.

AndyRAC
16th March 2008, 00:03
That's an interesting calendar,......

.....don't give the F1A any ideas.

jso1985
16th March 2008, 00:11
thing is that if GB is not on late november or early december is not the same(as sawn on 04 and 05)
Let alone Monte who would turno into just another tarmac rally and Sweden who would be "Finland part 2" on any other time of the year.
Those rallyes need to be held at those dates to keep to still be unique

gloomyDAY
16th March 2008, 00:12
You can't run Sweden in November though, think it's difficult in December to even if the move it further north.Is it too warm to run Sweden in December? The reason I left it until the end was because I thought there would be snow at the end of the year. What about Norway or a different snow rally?

gloomyDAY
16th March 2008, 00:16
thing is that if GB is not on late november or early december is not the same(as sawn on 04 and 05)
Let alone Monte who would turno into just another tarmac rally and Sweden who would be "Finland part 2" on any other time of the year.
Those rallyes need to be held at those dates to keep to still be uniqueMonte Carlo is not on my list, but I'll take your other points into consideration. Of course, the reason I made this up was to get some other people's inputs and ideas.

Just adding some freshness to the sport would not hurt.

SubaruNorway
16th March 2008, 00:30
Is it too warm to run Sweden in December? The reason I left it until the end was because I thought there would be snow at the end of the year. What about Norway or a different snow rally?

Not to warm maybe, but the ice would not get thick enaugh by then and very little snow. Norway could probably be ran from start of january until end of february, depending on if they still keep the southern stages around Kongsvinger.

jso1985
16th March 2008, 00:31
Sweden can only be run on January or early Febraury to have big chances of getting snow, in December the chances are somehow 50/50

bowler
16th March 2008, 02:45
not possible to physically move stuff in that time frame.

Looks good on paper, but just doesn't work.

Argentina too late, too much fog
Finland too early
NZ wrong season
Sweden too early
GB too late

Not enough time between

1-->2
2 --> 3
3 -->4
7 --> 8
8 -->9
9-->10

setting the calendar to take recognition of all of the various countries needs is a huge job

cosmicpanda
16th March 2008, 07:20
New Zealand can run in any season, really, it's just a question of how much rain you want.

N
16th March 2008, 07:48
Well, you can't exactly predict how much rain is gonna fall in NZ on a certain weekend, :) But yes, you can run it at any time of the year. I would just leave it as it is, the team develops the car while the rallies are ongoing. I think with the schedule they had in 2006 was ok with a 2 month break in summer.