PDA

View Full Version : How strong is the BMW?

Valve Bounce
15th March 2008, 23:30
Kubica sure impressed with his pace and only lost out on pole by running wide on that last turn. McLaren expects BMW to be a force for wins this year (see Autosport). However, we'll only know what all this really means when the cars start coming in for that first pit stop. I also wonder whether Kubica will consistantly out perform Heidfeld this year. Interesting.

jso1985
15th March 2008, 23:40
I think they are faster than what they shown on winter but slower than what they shown at qualy yesterday.
Probably Kubica is really light on fuel so not much chances then.
BMW is probably closer to Ferrari and McLarern this year but I still don't think they will be able to win on "normal" situations

Rollo
15th March 2008, 23:46
BMW are running with the numbers 3 & 4 on their cars, so that means that last year they were starting to be something to take note of. Perhaps in 2008 they'll finally live up to their potential.
This story will play out to be quite fun.

truefan72
16th March 2008, 00:30
only the race will tell

Hawkmoon
16th March 2008, 00:30
I don't think Kubica will trouble the McLarens but I think both he and Heidfeld will be giving Massa problems all day. Without trouble, there's nothing stopping a McLaren 1-2. The BMWs are quick enough to trouble an out-of-sorts Ferrari but not an insync McLaren.

As the season progresses though, the Bravarians might spring the odd upset. The car looks very good over a lap. We'll see soon enough how good it is over 50+ laps.

markabilly
16th March 2008, 07:27
As the race showed, the Beemer drivers are good for solid finishes this year, but not going to be beating Kimi and Hamster with those drivers

Beemer has the car that someone like Freddie would drive to the WDC--too bad they blew it when Freddie went off to Flavio instead of Beemer

F1boat
16th March 2008, 07:42
Yeah, the BMW needs a superior car to win the race.

ShiftingGears
16th March 2008, 07:49
They could win a race or two with a little luck. I just can't see one staying in the lead and holding off a McLaren or a Ferrari for a whole race.

SGWilko
16th March 2008, 07:55
They could win a race or two with a little luck. I just can't see one staying in the lead and holding off a McLaren or a Ferrari for a whole race.

The BMW does seem to be heavy on the tyres, they didn't like the softer compound, neither did Renault mind you.

Ranger
16th March 2008, 07:59
If Hamilton stayed out for a lap or two longer before his final pitstop, then Heidfeld would have won the race.

But it's looking like the 3rd or second best car after this weekend. You'd have to compare them against Ferrari when they don't mess everything up to guage their true performance, however.

jens
16th March 2008, 08:19
So the assumptions were right that BMW is a bit better over one lap than over longer stints. But despite that I'd say that BMW is stronger than last year. It would be hard to win on merit, but it doesn't mean that they may not win a race. :p :

Valve Bounce
16th March 2008, 09:11
It's early days, and the track was very hot!! And Nick did come second you know!!