PDA

View Full Version : Roof boxes

Mark
15th March 2008, 22:45
So Karen had the bright idea that we should have a roof box on the car so we could bring back lots of wine from France. The first shock was just how expensive they are and that the fittings cost almost as much as the box itself!! Plus all the ones I have seen can't be put onto my fiesta unless I remove the radio mast... but then the radio will not work!

Anyone got experince of these things as right now I am proper confused!

Dave B
16th March 2008, 04:03
Last beer run we did, we hired a Renault Scenic. You'll get more beer in that than a Fiesta with a roofbox! :D :beer:

KILOHMUNNS
16th March 2008, 10:41
Roof boxes are great for creating extra space and it is amazing how much you can fit in one, but I wouldn't recommend it for a beer run though. Firstly you have to think about the weight distribution and it can carry only a certain weight. (they are designed for large but lighter item like buggies, carry cots etc). Secondly you have to think that you have to get the boxes of wine/beer into and out of the box, which isn't easy because of the large lip around the box, while probably having to stand on a wheel/door/seat to put it in at the same time balancing so you don't drop it (and then again to get it out). Also don't some ferry's charge more for roof boxes?

I agree with Dave, hire a bigger car.

GridGirl
16th March 2008, 11:31
Well it's pretty straight forward if you already have roofbars on your car. :p

I wouldn't be that keen on putting the weight of wine on the roof of my little Fiesta. It would be more expensive but it would be far more easier to get a tow bar and a trailor. :)

Daniel
16th March 2008, 19:42
Question you need to ask is will the savings on wine offset the cost of the roof box + the extra fuel in taking said box and wine back up to Geordieland :) Perhaps if you're going to do it more than once it might be worth it. Might work for people like Dave who live close to France but I can't see it being a cheap trip with it being a 350 odd mile journey home for you.

Drew
16th March 2008, 21:05
Question you need to ask is will the savings on wine offset the cost of the roof box + the extra fuel in taking said box and wine back up to Geordieland :) Perhaps if you're going to do it more than once it might be worth it. Might work for people like Dave who live close to France but I can't see it being a cheap trip with it being a 350 odd mile journey home for you.

Or you could rent a people carrier or a Volvo or something for the holiday, you'll get more wine in and then you'll also not have to deal with the roof rack :p :

Mark
17th March 2008, 08:22

Almost certainly no. As you say it might be worth it if we plan to do it on a regular basis, but the most we can say is that we might go back at some point. That and the extra cost on fuel due to drag and the sheer hassle of getting the thing and fitting it means I've ruled it out for this trip.

It would indeed be cheaper just to buy some wine at our local Sainsbury's when we get back :s

J4MIE
17th March 2008, 11:18
I dunno Mark, how much wine do you both drink and can Sainsbury's do a bottle for €0.70? :D

schmenke
17th March 2008, 20:22
...my fiesta ...

Therein lies your first problem :p :

schmenke
17th March 2008, 20:23
... get a tow bar and a trailor. :)

See post #9 :p :

18th March 2008, 11:45
file:///C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/moz-screenshot-4.jpg

18th March 2008, 11:46
Roof boxes are great for creating extra space??????

Mark
18th March 2008, 11:47
Roof boxes are great for creating extra space??????

Yes. And your point is?

Rollo
18th March 2008, 23:44
I dunno Mark, how much wine do you both drink and can Sainsbury's do a bottle for €0.70? :D

At that price you're probably better off making chandys from Tennants Super and 3L Strongbow :mark:

The Fiesta comes with those little slidy anchor points on the roof does it not? Is it worth a trip to Halfords and finding a 3rd Party part for the car?

leopard
19th March 2008, 05:19
We might not put the long bottles of wine vertically on the roof box, it might spilled out easily. :D

Mark
19th March 2008, 07:53
At that price you're probably better off making chandys from Tennants Super and 3L Strongbow :mark:

The Fiesta comes with those little slidy anchor points on the roof does it not? Is it worth a trip to Halfords and finding a 3rd Party part for the car?

No, I've looked at my roof and appears not.