PDA

View Full Version : Watkins Glen or Mid-Ohio

Breeze
15th March 2008, 14:34
I can go to one or the other and have never been to either. I'm hoping to get some recommendations on which has the better racing and spectating. Thanks in advance!

DavePI2
15th March 2008, 15:12
Well although I must be honest and say I have never been to the Glen , I have been too midohio many times and always have a great time. Many great places at midohio to watch the racing. Some people prefer the heyhole which is great, some prefer the carosel or thunder alley, both also fine locations. I myself prefer the esses. The exit from the bridge at turn one is also a great spot, you can catch them running up to the keyhole and then back down to the esses from there. Wherever you sit it is easy to switch from one spot to another when you are on the inside of the course. Of course access ot garage area isn't to be missed either. This year should be even better then last not only because of the merger but alms is going to have a great year also. Friday practice is my favorite day as you can watch the two series practice from around 9am to 9pm.
I won't say anything bad about the Glen, great history and a great course, but for me , nothing beats midohio.

David

Easy Drifter
15th March 2008, 16:34
I haven't been to either for quite a while. I would take Ohio. More good viewing spots and well kept. Reasonable food for a track.
The Glen is in wine country though. Some terrible, some very good. The view of the lake from the track is spectacular.
The Glen had a bad reputation as a rip off area with 2 prices in town. One for locals and one for spectators. That may have stopped. Track food at Glen usually pricey, small and poor quality in most but not all cases.
Very little accomadation at Glen.
At least Mansfield is fairly close at Ohio.
Just my outdated opinion.

Breeze
15th March 2008, 17:21
Thanks for the input. I can say the decision has been made on account of the Mid-Ohio race also having ALMS race on Saturday. So, a weekend I'll make of it. Plus, mac daddy tickets are only $90. Not too shabby.

garyshell
16th March 2008, 05:27
Mid Ohio is my "home" track so I have to concur with the recommendations above. One thing you MUST do while there, wait until a full course yellow then quickly make your way to one of the wooden floored walkover bridges. Then when the field goes green walk up onto the bridge and stand right over the middle of the track. My friend, if that does not put a smile on your face you better check for a pulse. It is my favorite thing to treat a new vistor at the track to. It is ALWAYS the hight point of theire weekend and they talk about it for YEARS!

You should try to go to the Glen, at least once. The history there is palpable. If you do go the motorsports library in town is UNFREAKINGBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary

Civic
16th March 2008, 08:29
Go to Mid-Ohio and sample the fine food at Buck's (down the street from the track) or Bob Evans (about 6 miles away at neighboring Mansfield). If you had to take a plane to Columbus and rented a car to drive up to Lexington, then on the way back you can stop by a White Castle.

nanders
16th March 2008, 14:50
"Buck's (down the street from the track) or" .. sounds interesting.

"Bob Evans (about 6 miles away at neighboring Mansfield)." There's one in every town.

"White Castle." Now you've lost all your credibility. That's just fried canned dog food.

;)

Easy Drifter
16th March 2008, 16:18
White Castle: Get a burger. Throw it out the window. (Warning: Seagulls may throw it back.) Eat the box.

garyshell
16th March 2008, 17:06
stop by a White Castle.

Now you've lost all your credibility. That's just fried canned dog food.

White Castle: Get a burger. Throw it out the window. (Warning: Seagulls may throw it back.) Eat the box.

Hey now, them's fightin' words bubba. Nothing better than a sack of sliders at 2:30 AM on the way home from your favorite watering hole!

Back to MidOhio cuisine, just off I-71 at the Lexington Ohio exit to the east about 1/4 mile or so is a "Amish" restaurant. It used to be called "Der Dutchman" or something similar and was always closed on Sunday. It now has a different name, and is open on Sunday. It has real honest to god home cooking. Lots of bus loads of gray haired old ladies and gents (yes kids my hair is VERY gray too....sigh) but the point is those folks KNOW where to find real home cooked food. Country ham, chicken and dumplings, roast beef with home made noodles and pies to die for. There is usually a half hour wait to get in the place. But the food is really good.

Whoever recommended Buck's YUCHHHHHHHH! The OLD bucks used to be a great place lots of memorabilia, atmosphere and always a handful of drivers and crews, but it burnt to the ground. The "new" Bucks's owners bought the name and little else. It is common ordinary bar food, no ambiance (a few racing things around gotta give 'em credit for trying), loud boring place. Give it a dozen years and MAYBE it might become something. Yes, yes, yes I am just nostalgic for the old Buck's.... so sue me.

Gary

nigelred5
18th March 2008, 17:40
Rent a camper somewhere locally in New York, plan a relaxing vacation to the fingerlakes for the 4th of july weekend and go to the Glen this year so you can say you got to see Indycars there.

It kills me to say it, but I just don't see them making it there for long. Mid-Ohio isn't as remote, and as long as Honda is involved in Indycars, I suspect they will stay at Mid-Ohio to reward their employees in Mansfield since M-O is essentially American Honda's home track.

champcarray
18th March 2008, 17:54
I loved going to The Glen for the F1 races back in the day, but the place just isn't up to snuff. Those guardrails are too close to the track and have disaster written all over them.

Civic
19th March 2008, 01:50
I guess the grass is greener on the other side. All the stuff I mentioned was stuff I experienced in 2004. For this Cali boy, all that stuff was good! Of course, I take In N Out burger for granted though all my friends who live in places without In N Out think I'm blessed for having one half a mile from where I live!