PDA

View Full Version : Vettel to Ferrari in '2008' as 3rd driver rumours

Giuseppe F1
15th March 2008, 12:27
If theres a hint of truth in this, would Vettel be wise to entertain this? Would Red Bull allow it? And what of BMW too?....

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080315082516.shtml

Vettel awaits Ferrari call-up
A rumoured role as third driver
------------------------------

Sebastian Vettel is so highly rated by Ferrari that the German youngster might get a chance to race for the famous Italian team this year.

The German magazine Sport Bild reveals that, due to Toro Rosso's engine deal with Ferrari, the Maranello-based team may have 20-year-old Vettel's name at the top of their list as potential reserve driver at Grand Prix.

Should Kimi Raikkonen or Felipe Massa need replacing at a Grand Prix in 2008, then, the situation would have the curious knock-on effect of requiring STR to also fall back on a reserve driver to substitute for the highly rated rookie.

Sport Bild also claims that BMW Sauber still has a contractual option on Vettel to bring him back into the Hinwil based team in 2010.

Vettel starts the Australian Grand Prix from ninth position on the grid.

E.A. © CAPSIS International
Source: GMM

Ranger
15th March 2008, 12:38
If

Summarises the whole story.

Sport Bild ain't exactly the beacon of factual F1 news, y'know. :p :

Giuseppe F1
15th March 2008, 14:02
Summarises the whole story.

Sport Bild ain't exactly the beacon of factual F1 news, y'know. :p :

Indeed :)

seppefan
15th March 2008, 15:00
Unless money changes hands he is at BMW in 2010. I do not think a German Company would pass on having him as their driver if his pace to date stays the same or improves with experince as I expect. If Ferrari want him I reckon Red Bull will be fighting that as I am sure he will replace DC for 09 while Alonso cannot be happy with the idea of him spending time at Ferrari.Then again maybe Red Bull would pass as having him for one year is not a good idea. Alonso for Red Bull in 09 ? If kimi stays at Ferrari then Alonso would be crazy to go there as Kimi would have all the advantages of third year, Champion maybe twice and Fernando would react badly if history is anything to go by.

and we have not even had the first race of 08 yet !

jens
15th March 2008, 17:20
:up:

At least good to know that the doors are open for Vettel in future terms. :p : Actually I don't imagine him at Ferrari before 2010. The first step should be getting to Red Bull... or BMW for 2009. And who knows, what happens after that. Too early to speculate even about the next year. :)

pino
15th March 2008, 20:30
True or not true, the guy is one of the biggest talent in today's F1, who ever signs him will garantee the Team a future Champion :up:

SGWilko
15th March 2008, 20:31
True or not true, the guy is one of the biggest talent in today's F1, who ever signs him will garantee the Team a future Champion :up:

The cream will always rise to the top........

PSfan
15th March 2008, 21:41
If theres a hint of truth in this, would Vettel be wise to entertain this? Would Red Bull allow it? And what of BMW too?....

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080315082516.shtml

Vettel awaits Ferrari call-up
A rumoured role as third driver
------------------------------

Sebastian Vettel is so highly rated by Ferrari that the German youngster might get a chance to race for the famous Italian team this year.

The German magazine Sport Bild reveals that, due to Toro Rosso's engine deal with Ferrari, the Maranello-based team may have 20-year-old Vettel's name at the top of their list as potential reserve driver at Grand Prix.

Should Kimi Raikkonen or Felipe Massa need replacing at a Grand Prix in 2008, then, the situation would have the curious knock-on effect of requiring STR to also fall back on a reserve driver to substitute for the highly rated rookie.

Sport Bild also claims that BMW Sauber still has a contractual option on Vettel to bring him back into the Hinwil based team in 2010.

Vettel starts the Australian Grand Prix from ninth position on the grid.

E.A. © CAPSIS International
Source: GMM

This makes alot of sense to me. Who actually expected Michael to actually fill in should Massa or Kimi shoes need filling?

CNR
15th March 2008, 22:16
could this have anything to do with the rumors last year that toro rosso would become Ferrari b team to match maclaren and prodrive.

truefan72
15th March 2008, 22:32
rumors, plain and simple

He'll probably be driving a BMW next year or at worst the RBR when DC retires at the end of this year.

gloomyDAY
15th March 2008, 22:34
rumors, plain and simple

He'll probably be driving a BMW next year or at worst the RBR when DC retires at the end of this year.Bingo!

I've always said that Vettel is being groomed for the A-team.

jso1985
15th March 2008, 22:40
That article gives to many "ifs"...

It's quite clear that Ferrari, as proved in 1999, won't give Badoer a racing chance in case of needing a new driver.

There isn't a single rumour about Ferrari dumping one of their drivers mid-season, and thinking one of them getting injured well... it's taking the "if" too far-

Roamy
15th March 2008, 23:11
Most who know me know I do not favor very young drivers moving into F1. I prefer to see at least 24 years old with fast car experience. I still support this idea. Now with that being said, Vettel has been very impressive in his beginning. Hopefully pressure to do well won't end in with unfavorable results.
I think if he maintains his current form and kicks the **** out of SB he will be on many wish lists. But then again many will say SB was just another mediocre CC driver failing in F!. I wish him well and he could be the next bright star!!

Placid
15th March 2008, 23:12
Make it happen. Ferrari needs youth.

Koz
16th March 2008, 16:54
There isn't a single rumour about Ferrari dumping one of their drivers mid-season, and thinking one of them getting injured well... it's taking the "if" too far-

If FM drives the silly way he drove today, its a possibility. Coupled with slow qualifyings, who knows...

ioan
16th March 2008, 17:11
If FM drives the silly way he drove today, its a possibility. Coupled with slow qualifyings, who knows...

Slow qualifyings aren't Massa's week point. Plus he has signed a contract till the end of 2010.

And no matter how much I would enjoy having Vettel drive for Ferrari (I believe he is the bet of the young drivers in F1 today, better than Hamilton) he is contracted to BMW and RedBull.

Koz
16th March 2008, 17:18
Slow qualifyings aren't Massa's week point. Plus he has signed a contract till the end of 2010.

Thats why I said slow qualifyings, because if he cant cope without TC, on both race day and qualifying, he will be slow. And I am sure his bosses wont be too happy about LH being on pole for too long, while Massa sits at lower than 5-6th.
Him having a contract means he WILL drive all races till the end of 2010 if he is fit, or does it just mean he gets paid till 2010?

maximilian
16th March 2008, 17:21
To me, there is no doubt that Michael Schumacher would fill in for an injured Ferrari driver - it makes way too much sense for everyone.

CNR
16th March 2008, 21:11
http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=79218
Team co-owner Gerhard Berger has played down reports that Toro Rosso might struggle to hang onto its highly rated German driver, Sebastian Vettel, in the future.
It is suggested that Ferrari and Mercedes-Benz already have eyes on the 20-year-old newcomer, amid speculation that BMW might even have an ongoing contractual relationship with him.

MAX_THRUST
17th March 2008, 12:26
If he goes he'll replace Massa.....

If not he's gonna replace DC at Redbull, or possibly be moved to Toyota instead of TRulli.

What ever he gets he has more then proved his abilitites.