PDA

View Full Version : Did Team Kimi Choke:)

Tazio
15th March 2008, 12:23
I'm using the term loosely. But, I was the one on this forum that first used that term in connection to how Hamilton lost the wdc last season. So turnabout is fair play! Kimi and his support team watching telemetry in the pits knew when they lost the fire in the F2008, and where they were on the track. IYO do you think they should have been more reticent of this, and the inertia needed to roll safely to the pits. They never played any radio transmission during the broadcast. But it was evident that they had lost ignition in a top gear, and the onboard clearly indicated that Kimi downshifted through several gears (trying to get it to re-ignite) before dropping it into neutral and coasting! Hindsight is 20/20, but Kimi was already through to Q3,
and only needed to get back to the pit. Whether or not they could have solved this problem in time to get Kimi running in time for Q3 is another question (and another opportunity to choke :D ) Lads every point counts toward the final standing. Was this an event that should have been avoided. I wonder if a Jean Todt or Ross Brawn led Ferrari team would have let this unfortunate incident occur? :O

SGWilko
15th March 2008, 16:13
I'm using the term loosely. But, I was the one on this forum that first used that term in connection to how Hamilton lost the wdc last season. So turnabout is fair play! Kimi and his support team watching telemetry in the pits knew when they lost the fire in the F2008, and where they were on the track. IYO do you think they should have been more reticent of this, and the inertia needed to roll safely to the pits. They never played any radio transmission during the broadcast. But it was evident that they had lost ignition in a top gear, and the onboard clearly indicated that Kimi downshifted through several gears (trying to get it to re-ignite) before dropping it into neutral and coasting! Hindsight is 20/20, but Kimi was already through to Q3,
and only needed to get back to the pit. Whether or not they could have solved this problem in time to get Kimi running in time for Q3 is another question (and another opportunity to choke :D ) Lads every point counts toward the final standing. Was this an event that should have been avoided. I wonder if a Jean Todt or Ross Brawn led Ferrari team would have let this unfortunate incident occur? :O

Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing.....

Best get your bad luck out the way in the first race, not the last two.....

Kimi could be the one to watch tomorrow......

SGWilko
15th March 2008, 16:27

Just watching qually again with the trouble and strife, and kimi made AT LEAST three downshifts (probably four) - that is indeed a whole bunch of speed lost........

Of course, I could suggest (with tongue firmly in cheek) that perhaps, he might have pressed the wrong button on his steering wheel......

or is this the bug in the ECU?

Or due to McLaren being in the fifth pit?

or because Ron is still at the helm..........?

or cheap Kool Aid?

........... :laugh:

Kevincal
15th March 2008, 16:37
Since when do we say a driver choked when they had a mechanical problem? I'm sure Kimi didn't know exactly what was wrong when his car started to screw up. He was more focused on getting out of the way of the other drivers, as he should.

SGWilko
15th March 2008, 16:39
Since when do we say a driver choked when they had a mechanical problem?

I would imagine since Brazil '07? ;)

Tazio
15th March 2008, 16:57
Just watching qually again with the trouble and strife, and kimi made AT LEAST three downshifts (probably four) - that is indeed a whole bunch of speed lost........

Of course, I could suggest (with tongue firmly in cheek) that perhaps, he might have pressed the wrong button on his steering wheel......

or cheap Kool Aid?

There are other factors as well:

The circumference of the earth

The lunar phase

Being south of the equator

And the relative position of Betelgeuse

:D :D :D

SGWilko
15th March 2008, 17:00
There are other factors as well:
The lunar phase
:D :D :D

Rings round uranus??? :D :D

Kevincal
15th March 2008, 17:40
I would imagine since Brazil '07? ;)

Except in that case, Hamilton managed to accidentally hit his pit lane speed limiter, which took him a good 20 seconds to figure out. ;)

Tazio
15th March 2008, 17:42
Rings round uranus??? :D :D
Or yours!!!!!!! :D

SGWilko
15th March 2008, 17:52
Except in that case, Hamilton managed to accidentally hit his pit lane speed limiter, which took him a good 20 seconds to figure out. ;)

Nice try. You have to hold the button in for it to work,(evidenced by drivers who get pit speed penalty's and admit they let the button go too soon) and what also happens when you do this, but didn't happen to Lewis' car in Brazil?....clue - fuel flap.. :dozey:

So I think we can finally lay thay myth to rest can't we now...?

markabilly
15th March 2008, 18:43

or cheap Kool Aid?

Well, Kimi is reputed to be quite a drinker, and if someone slipped him a "Mickey" in this case composed of some hard core Kool Aid, it can affect even the toughest when ingested in sufficient quanitites.....he might even begin to think that MacCheats is really "Team Intergrity"

Just look at Wilko, True fan and others to see what happens when kool aid is consumed in suffcient amounts........As the good reverend Jimmie Jones said as he handed it out, "Drink up.... :beer:

SGWilko
15th March 2008, 18:50
"Drink up.... :beer:

Mind if I don't, we're not all sheep.......

markabilly
15th March 2008, 18:56
Mind if I don't, we're not all sheep.......
Come on now, one of the first signs of addiction is denial of a problem and demonstrating blind loyalty to team mac.....I would suggest drinking a little less kool aid and more beer in the morning....after you been off the aid, you go from being blind to seeing red.... :D

SGWilko
15th March 2008, 18:59
Come on now, one of the first signs of addiction is denial of a problem and demonstrating blind loyalty to team mac.....I would suggest drinking a little less kool aid and more beer in the morning....after you been off the aid, you go from being blind to seeing red.... :D

Isn't there something else that is supposed to make you go blind if done to excess? ;)

PS I'm over here fella.......

markabilly
15th March 2008, 19:06
Isn't there something else that is supposed to make you go blind if done to excess? ;)

PS I'm over here fella.......
Yeah well, I don't do that...............................as much as I deserve....

SGWilko
15th March 2008, 19:10
Yeah well, I don't do that...............................as much as I deserve....

No, not there, over here. Eye trouble? ;) :D :laugh:

markabilly
15th March 2008, 19:15
No, not there, over here. Eye trouble? ;) :D :laugh:
i was refferring to the first question. As to your personal needs, i say, every man for himself.........or smoke them if you got them

SGWilko
15th March 2008, 19:19
i was refferring to the first question. As to your personal needs, i say, every man for himself.........or smoke them if you got them

Not the sheep, please no, surely not? :eek:

markabilly
15th March 2008, 19:28
Not the sheep, please no, surely not? :eek:
Okay okay, I will leave your girlfriends alone. Don't worry, :D

PSfan
15th March 2008, 19:51
Well, steping aside what markabilly does or doesn't do in his spare time, and what SGWilko drinks or doesn't...

Was there anything preventing Kimi from getting out and pushing the car over the line himself? I do recall an incident where a driver pushed his car back into the pit after having trouble on the exit... Was this a matter of the Ferrari pit crew being a little to eager? or is there rules that prevented kimi from doing so?

of course, after seeing kimi's arms in the kiss pics I have my doubts if he could push the car any significant distance :p :

SGWilko
15th March 2008, 20:15
Okay okay, I will leave your girlfriends alone. Don't worry, :D

Darn it, secrets out now. Anyone got a use for a second hand pair of 'anti dag' keks? :rotflmao:

SGWilko
15th March 2008, 20:18
Well, steping aside what markabilly does or doesn't do in his spare time, and what SGWilko drinks or doesn't...

Was there anything preventing Kimi from getting out and pushing the car over the line himself? I do recall an incident where a driver pushed his car back into the pit after having trouble on the exit... Was this a matter of the Ferrari pit crew being a little to eager? or is there rules that prevented kimi from doing so?

of course, after seeing kimi's arms in the kiss pics I have my doubts if he could push the car any significant distance :p :

Hic! (I havn't had a **** honestly drinkstable)

I am sure there is a rule preventing it. I know Prost once pushed his car over the lines, as did 'our Nige', but I don't think that is permitted, car has to make it back to pit lane under it's own propulsion methinks.

Tazio
15th March 2008, 20:26
Hic! (I havn't had a **** honestly drinkstable)

I am sure there is a rule preventing it. I know Prost once pushed his car over the lines, as did 'our Nige', but I don't think that is permitted, car has to make it back to pit lane under it's own propulsion methinks.Steve Matchet, or one of those talking heads on speed said that in Qualifying,
if the car comes to a stop on what is designated as the track,a nd can not continue under it's own power,
it is game over!

SGWilko
15th March 2008, 20:29
Steve Matchet

Wasn't he a Ferrari employee? Or was he at Benetton? If the former, has he had much to say about Stepneygate?

PSfan
15th March 2008, 21:08
Wasn't he a Ferrari employee? Or was he at Benetton? If the former, has he had much to say about Stepneygate?

Matchet was a Benetton mechanic, think he was a tire changer during the "Verstappen" fire :p :

As for anything insitefull from him regarding stepneygate... nothing really come to mind...

Tazio
15th March 2008, 21:34
Wasn't he a Ferrari employee? Or was he at Benetton? If the former, has he had much to say about Stepneygate?Benaton! I met him at BMW PIT Lane Park!(he was the M.C.)
We spoke briefly but he didn't mention Stepneygate

PSfan
15th March 2008, 21:59
I do recall an incident where a driver pushed his car back into the pit after having trouble on the exit...

Grrrr, this is really starting to bug me... for some reason I'm pretty sure it happened last year, it involved Ralph Schumacher, and it was sometime after he had been told that He wasn't going to be driving for the team in 08... But I've tried all kinds of searches on google but haven't found squawt :(

But I'm also sure at the time that the mechanics where all waiting at a white line because they themselves weren't allowed on the circuit.

Despite Matchet "game over" statement, I'm pretty sure had Kimi gotten out and got the car across the line himself, he would have been allowed to continue into the 2nd round of qualifying. But I haven't seen how far from the line Kimi's car stopped so perhaps it was do great a distance to expect him to push...

Tazio
15th March 2008, 22:06
My last post was repetative to ps's
as I was trying to configure a photo
that this site would accept! At longlast here it is
SORRRRRRRRRRRRRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

truefan72
15th March 2008, 22:36
Steve Matchet is right,

if the car omes to a complete stop on what is considered the race track, then it is deamened to be finished for the session and subsequenty the Quali.

TMorel
15th March 2008, 23:25
but if Kimi hadn't of downshifted and lost that momentum and coasted across the line, how would that have stood in the rules?

Hawkmoon
16th March 2008, 00:23
I don't know about the rules concerning stopping on the track but the picture in the following article shows Kimi being pushed by the marshals.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65752

Kimi stopped before the line that marks the start of the pits and got pushed by the marshals over the line. The Ferrari mechanics must have taken him from there. He got outside assistance so it was game over straight away. If he made it that few extra metres the Ferrari mechanics would have been able to push him, I think, back to the garage and he would have been OK because he was technically in the pits.

I don't think the possibility that Kimi ran out of fuel can be discounted. Ferrari stuffed up the same way last season so they have some form in that regard. "Fuel pressure problem" sounds like an convenient excuse.

truefan72
16th March 2008, 00:29
I don't know about the rules concerning stopping on the track but the picture in the following article shows Kimi being pushed by the marshals.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65752

Kimi stopped before the line that marks the start of the pits and got pushed by the marshals over the line. The Ferrari mechanics must have taken him from there. He got outside assistance so it was game over straight away. If he made it that few extra metres the Ferrari mechanics would have been able to push him, I think, back to the garage and he would have been OK because he was technically in the pits.

I don't think the possibility that Kimi ran out of fuel can be discounted. Ferrari stuffed up the same way last season so they have some form in that regard. "Fuel pressure problem" sounds like an convenient excuse.

Interesting analysis, you just might be on the right track here.
I didn't even consider lack of fuel to be the issue.
But even with lack of fuel, the car wouldn't have cut off that quickly or sharply, would it?

Hawkmoon
16th March 2008, 00:36
Interesting analysis, you just might be on the right track here.
I didn't even consider lack of fuel to be the issue.
But even with lack of fuel, the car wouldn't have cut off that quickly or sharply, would it?

I'm not sure. Massa didn't even make it to the end of the pit lane in Hungary last year when Ferrari forgot to put gas in his tank so I think F1 cars don't run too well on fumes.

SGWilko
16th March 2008, 07:26
I'm not sure. Massa didn't even make it to the end of the pit lane in Hungary last year when Ferrari forgot to put gas in his tank so I think F1 cars don't run too well on fumes.

They used to....

'95 Canadian GP - Gerhard coast into the pits having just run out of juice. That's what you call running it fine...!!

Foggy
16th March 2008, 08:42
Nice try. You have to hold the button in for it to work,(evidenced by drivers who get pit speed penalty's and admit they let the button go too soon) and what also happens when you do this, but didn't happen to Lewis' car in Brazil?....clue - fuel flap.. :dozey:

So I think we can finally lay thay myth to rest can't we now...?

Interesting that his team mate is blaming that same button for his sudden loss of power today allowing Alonso back past.

SGWilko
16th March 2008, 08:53
Interesting that his team mate is blaming that same button for his sudden loss of power today allowing Alonso back past.

Indeed, but Heikki wasn't left with no drive for several corners, was he, just a momentary loss of power.

Azumanga Davo
16th March 2008, 13:44

As opposed to driver mistake, a "Fool Pressure Problem." :D

markabilly
16th March 2008, 13:53
I think the fuel flap pops out at a certain speed, not merely upon the pushing of the button....so the calim that hamilton did not push the same button.....welll....choking is choking!!

markabilly
16th March 2008, 13:55
As opposed to driver mistake, a "Fool Pressure Problem." :D
Best comment on Ferrari for this race :roll: I have seen :rotflmao:

Tazio
16th March 2008, 17:19
If you look beyond the wording of the title of this thread, the crux of my proposition was: Are Ferrari and Kimi prepared to make proper decisions for unexpected issues! Which includes communication from the team. It is apparent that with new leadership in the support team that they really are not!
It may take some time for Domi#$^&@#*&* to get the act together. I think he may be on a short leash for a while!

markabilly
16th March 2008, 17:38
If you look beyond the wording of the title of this thread, the crux of my proposition was: Are Ferrari and Kimi prepared to make proper decisions for unexpected issues! Which includes communication from the team. It is apparent that with new leadership in the support team that they really are not!
It may take some time for Domi#$^&@#*&* to get the act together. I think he may be on a short leash for a while!
but hopefully there is a long fuel hose to keep some gas in the cars....