PDA

View Full Version : What is the latest car count????

MAX_THRUST
14th March 2008, 12:23
After all the latest news on teams etc, does anyone know what the latest car count is???

Have we hit 26 yet?

NHL- Wilson Rahal
AGR - Kanaan, Mutoh, Patrick, Marco
TCG - Wheeldon, Dixon
Rahal Letterman - ?
HVM -
Conquest -
Penske - Helio, Briscoe
PKV - Oriel, Power

please fill in blanks for me..........

BobGarage
14th March 2008, 12:56
going on official confirmations i have 21 full time rides plus 4 part times confirmed:-

21 confirmed full time driver/team combinations
Foyt - manning
AGR - patrick, andretti, kanaan, mutoh
Ganassi - dixon, wheldon
Conquest - pererra
D&R - Bell/Duno (to share one seat)
KVRT - Power, Servia
NHL - Wilson, GRahal
Panther - meira
Rahal - Hunter-Reay
Roth - Roth, Howard
Penske - Helio, Briscoe
Vision, foytIV, carpenter

4 part time driver/team combinations
Beck - Yasukawa
Rubicon - papis
Fisher - Fisher
Luczo Dragon - Scheckter

other possibilities
- D&R - Buddy rice - has tested but not signed on for the season yet.
- 2nd conquest car
- 2 HVM cars
- alex lloyd either part time at ganassi or maybe shipped off to vision
- DCR 1 car
- PCM? been quiet from them so far

downtowndeco
14th March 2008, 15:18
Add Fisher to the "full season" list. She got a full time sponsor.

evo5_mat
14th March 2008, 15:34
from her website "Fisher Forms IndyCar Team 2/27: Fisher makes the announcement along with female pioneers Janet Guthrie and Lyn St. James; will compete at Indy 500 and select events on the 2008 IndyCar Series schedule"

That looks like part time to me, and also states her next race be indy 500 so presume other select races be after that ???

nanders
14th March 2008, 15:51
from her website "Fisher Forms IndyCar Team 2/27: Fisher makes the announcement along with female pioneers Janet Guthrie and Lyn St. James; will compete at Indy 500 and select events on the 2008 IndyCar Series schedule"

That looks like part time to me, and also states her next race be indy 500 so presume other select races be after that ???

Indianapolis, IN (February 27, 2008) – Sarah Fisher Racing (SFR) announced today the formation of an IndyCar Series team that will compete in the 92nd running of the Indianapolis 500 along with select events on the 2008 IndyCar Series schedule with a full-time debut planned for 2009.

evo5 I'm just adding the 2009 stuff quote.

BobGarage
14th March 2008, 15:51

her original announcement said she was also trying for texas, chicago and kentucky.

there nothing on indycar.com, yet, saying she'll run any more than that.

Brad Dill
14th March 2008, 19:17
There was a rumor that started a week ago that Sarah had full time sponsorship and was ready to make an announcement. But the announcement never came and they said they were only going to do a part time schedule.

Did they think they had a deal and it fell through or was it a bogus rumor, your guess is as good as anyone's. But she is still a part timer.

There is now someone claiming Cavin has Dale Coyne down for two drivers: Bruno and 1 for Moraes (r). He claims the manufacturer contract is signed, but no official announcement. I have yet to see anything from Cavin about this, but hopefully it is true.

Chamoo
14th March 2008, 19:31
There is now someone claiming Cavin has Dale Coyne down for two drivers: Bruno and 1 for Moraes (r). He claims the manufacturer contract is signed, but no official announcement. I have yet to see anything from Cavin about this, but hopefully it is true.

This rumour is quite strong actually, it seems everywhere I go it is somewhere. Also, don't expect much of an announcement from Coyne. He'll show up the friday before Homestead.

bblocker68
14th March 2008, 20:09
This rumour is quite strong actually, it seems everywhere I go it is somewhere. Also, don't expect much of an announcement from Coyne. He'll show up the friday before Homestead.

Like Clockwork! That is business as usual for DCR.

gofastandwynn
14th March 2008, 20:38

Cavin stated it last night on his radio show on 1070 The Fan, which you can podcast and listen to. Ballard also said it in today's Indy Star.

grungex
14th March 2008, 22:47
There was a rumor that started a week ago that Sarah had full time sponsorship and was ready to make an announcement. But the announcement never came and they said they were only going to do a part time schedule.

There is a poster on the Indystar forum with the username Sarah Fisher that posted that rumour. Seeing as the date for the alleged announcement has long passed, I think we can assume an imposter...

pitwall3
15th March 2008, 00:37
There is a poster on the Indystar forum with the username Sarah Fisher that posted that rumour. Seeing as the date for the alleged announcement has long passed, I think we can assume an imposter...

What say you? The poster is an impostor. Can that be possible?

grungex
15th March 2008, 02:03
:D

FormerFF
16th March 2008, 02:16
From Scott Atherton, quoted at Sebring:

"We have ChampCar teams in the house". What he was referring to non-ALMS teams visiting Sebring, ostensibly because they may be interested in competing.

IndyCar Garage
16th March 2008, 19:27
I heard the same rumor about Sarah Fisher last week - and not from an IndyStar forum. Haven't heard one way or the other at this time. My guess is that she runs the entire season, I think she can get the sponsors to do it. Guess we'll see...

-IndyCar Garage
http://www.indycargarage.com

Chamoo
17th March 2008, 01:23
Here's an update to the previous list of cars and drivers posted on here.

22 Confirmed Full Time Drivers
Foyt - Manning
AGR - Patrick, Andretti, Kanaan, Mutoh
Ganassi - Dixon, Wheldon
Conquest - Perera
D&R - Bell/Duno, Rice
KVRT - Power, Servia
NHLR - Wilson, Rahal
Panther - Meira
RLR - Hunter-Reay
Roth - Roth, Howard
Penske - Helio, Briscoe
Vision - Foyt IV, Carpenter

4 Part Time Drivers
Beck - Yasukawa (As of now, Japan only)
Rubicon - Papis (Indy only)
Sarah Fisher Racing - Fisher (Could turn into full time status)
Luczo Dragon - Scheckter

Other Possibilities
- 2nd Conquest Car (Seems like a lock after Conquest contacted Buddy Rice to drive their second car. Expect to see a second driver announced before Sebring Test)
- 1 HVM (Wiggins seems quite sure he will get this drive together with Viso behind the wheel)
- Alex Lloyd will be in the field atleast part of the year, it just isn't known for who yet.
- DCR will run atleast 1 car for Bruno Junqueira, and possibly a second for Mario Moraes
- PCM (Don't expect a lot from PCM as they will end up either doing the road courses only, or going to ALMS)
-Walker - Don't count him out yet. I would expect to see him enter half way through the year, and atleast go to Indy with the money Gore pays him for last season. He reportedly owes Walker 1.5 Million. That should be enough for Walker to go to Indy.

I'm counting a minimum 27 cars for the 2008 ICS season, with a possibility of 29 full time cars. Add to that the part time cars of Luczo Dragon and Sarah Fisher, some race could end up topping 30 cars (aside from the 500 of course).

icehammer97
17th March 2008, 05:25
Anyone else see a problem with this many cars? I know more cars the better but some tracks can't handle that many cars. I know Mid-Ohio can only do about 26 I think becasue of the number of garages. Will INDYCAR become NASCAR where there are some drivers that don't even get to race?

Phoenixent
17th March 2008, 07:38
Anyone else see a problem with this many cars? I know more cars the better but some tracks can't handle that many cars. I know Mid-Ohio can only do about 26 I think becasue of the number of garages. Will INDYCAR become NASCAR where there are some drivers that don't even get to race?

ice you and others keep re-hashing the same story.

Garages are not the issue it's pit stalls and that is not a big issue at this time. CART had 28 to 30 cars showing up to race and ran them 95 percent of the time. It would be great to have this problem of 30 cars fighting for 28 starting spots.

BobGarage
17th March 2008, 11:06
Here's an update to the previous list of cars and drivers posted on here.

D&R - Bell/Duno, Rice

when was rice confirmed at D&R?

Last we heard from them was this:-

Team co-owner Dennis Reinbold said details are coming together to field a second full-time car driven by 2004 Indianapolis 500 champion Buddy Rice, but nothing has yet been signed

theres been no news since on either indycar.com or D&R's website.

BobGarage
17th March 2008, 11:26
^^^

Ignore that, I hadn;t read Millers article at the time I posted. I stand corrected :)

SarahFan
17th March 2008, 15:10
Anyone else see a problem with this many cars? ?

NO!!!!!

considering the lack of cars and depth of field for both series the past 4 or 5 years even questioning mid 20's at this point is rediculous

Chamoo
18th March 2008, 17:28
23 Confirmed Full Time Drivers
Foyt - Manning
AGR - Patrick, Andretti, Kanaan, Mutoh
Ganassi - Dixon, Wheldon
Conquest - Perera, Bernoldi
D&R - Bell/Duno, Rice
KVRT - Power, Servia
NHLR - Wilson, Rahal
Panther - Meira
RLR - Hunter-Reay
Roth - Roth, Howard
Penske - Helio, Briscoe
Vision - Foyt IV, Carpenter

4 Part Time Drivers
Beck - Yasukawa (As of now, Japan only)
Rubicon - Papis (Indy only)
Sarah Fisher Racing - Fisher (Could turn into full time status)
Luczo Dragon - Scheckter

Other Possibilities
- 1 HVM (Wiggins seems quite sure he will get this drive together with Viso behind the wheel) (IRL states they expect them in the lineup at Homestead).
- Alex Lloyd will be in the field atleast part of the year, it just isn't known for who yet.
- DCR will run atleast 1 car for Bruno Junqueira, and possibly a second for Mario Moraes (IRL states they expect DCR at Homestead).
- PCM (Don't expect a lot from PCM as they will end up either doing the road courses only, or going to ALMS)
-Walker - Don't count him out yet. I would expect to see him enter half way through the year, and atleast go to Indy with the money Gore pays him for last season. He reportedly owes Walker 1.5 Million. That should be enough for Walker to go to Indy.

I'm counting a minimum 26 cars for the 2008 ICS season, with a possibility of 29 full time cars. Add to that the part time cars of Luczo Dragon and Sarah Fisher, some race could end up topping 30 cars (aside from the 500 of course).

CGormally
18th March 2008, 17:38
Enrique Bernoldi has been confirmed at Conquest Racing for 2008, according to indycar.com he will drive the no.36 car.

DazzlaF1
18th March 2008, 22:55
Are'nt HVM planning on running 2 cars?

Cos if thats the case, im counting 25 full time cars (30 if you include PCM and Dale Coyne running 2 cars each and also if Sarah Fisher decides to do a full season)

Should be a pretty packed grid come March 29th

Chamoo
19th March 2008, 16:14
Are'nt HVM planning on running 2 cars?

Cos if thats the case, im counting 25 full time cars (30 if you include PCM and Dale Coyne running 2 cars each and also if Sarah Fisher decides to do a full season)

Should be a pretty packed grid come March 29th

The HVM press release says they want 1 car. I'm sure they would run 2 if they could find the funds, but from the press release, I got the idea that they would run 1 car for the season.

As for car count, it seems DCR confirmed they would be in the IRL by showing up to and running the Sebring test today and tomorrow. That gets us up to 25. I'm also betting that Lloyd will get run by either Ganassi or Vision. Then I'll bet that atleast one of the following happens.

HVM runs 1 car.
Sarah Fisher runs the entire season.
Paul Tracy ends up entering with Vision or one of the IRL teams to form a three car team.

By the beginning of the season, we should see 26 full time drivers on the grid. On top of that, through part time drives (outside of Indy) it should bump the car count up to 27 or 28 for most of the year, especially at Ovals.

BenRoethig
19th March 2008, 18:50

Maybe, it depends on capacity. Either way, its a much better problem to be talking about having too many cars for the grid as opposed to not enough.

FIA
19th March 2008, 19:56
If only Forsythe and tracy were in it, looks good though.

Chamoo
19th March 2008, 22:28
Tracy will end up on the IRL grid somehow. TG realizes he is worth too much to let him sit out. He would pay Penske or Ganassi to run him if that's what it came down to.

iks
19th March 2008, 23:07
I thought Pablo Donoso was going to drive a second Foyt car? Did that fall through?

gofastandwynn
19th March 2008, 23:28
I thought Pablo Donoso was going to drive a second Foyt car? Did that fall through?

Foyt didn't have the man power to pull off a 2nd car on such short notice, and I think Brian Barnhart has enough oval rookies for Homestead, so Donoso will run the IPS race there with SWE racing. But rumor says he will be in a 2nd car starting at Indy.

Dr. Krogshöj
20th March 2008, 07:43
25 drivers entered for Homestead so far. I'll miss Tracy, Tagliani, Dominguez, Doornbos & Philippe.

RJL25
20th March 2008, 15:16
some people where suggesting earlier that we'd be lucky to see 6 entries from the champcar series on the grid this year, now we have atleast 10! NHL with two, KV racing with two, conquest with two, dale coyne with 2 and HVM with 2! Fantastic i think, plenty of cars for us champcar people to cheer for!

by my count thats ATLEAST 27 full time cars this season, with a few part time deals for certain events, most notably for indy. Surely thats gotta be a full grid? how many more cars can the series handle?

RJL25
20th March 2008, 15:18
Paul Tracy and Alex Tagliani are definetly a loss to the new series... but its not beyond the relms of possibility that both forsythe and walker racing may be back next year, or even later this year to give a ride to both tracy and tags

bblocker68
20th March 2008, 21:26
26 officially entered for the first race so far:

http://www.indycar.com/news/2008/homestead/2008_homestead_ics_entrylist.pdf?utm_source=indyca r&utm_medium=outsideLink&utm_content=http://www.indycar.com/news/2008/homestead/2008_homestead_ics_entrylist.pdf&utm_campaign=speedRead

BobGarage
20th March 2008, 22:08

http://www.indycar.com/news/2008/homestead/2008_homestead_ics_entrylist.pdf?utm_source=indyca r&utm_medium=outsideLink&utm_content=http://www.indycar.com/news/2008/homestead/2008_homestead_ics_entrylist.pdf&utm_campaign=speedRead

interesting. that names viso as HVM's driver.

DazzlaF1
20th March 2008, 23:10

So i presume out of the 27 thats everyone except Sarah Fisher, shame not to see Paul Tracy there

BobGarage
20th March 2008, 23:45
So i presume out of the 27 thats everyone except Sarah Fisher

sarah fisher was never planning on being at homestead. her season starts at Indy.

DazzlaF1
20th March 2008, 23:48
sarah fisher was never planning on being at homestead. her season starts at Indy.

I know that. But still, 26 cars, its still an impressive turnout, if it keeps up like this, could we be talking about an entry list of more than the grid of 33 for Indy?

Mark in Oshawa
21st March 2008, 02:30
It makes me laugh some people think too many cars is a problem. Boy oh boy do some people need a slap up side the head. For the last decade the numbers were mind numbing in 20 car fields if that. Listen, on ovals, you can run 43 cars. No where does the ICS run on an oval that NASCAR doesn't visit and NASCAR has 43 car fields for Nationwide and Cup races. On road/street courses, most if not all can easily handle 30 cars. If they cant, then maybe they should be dropped from the sched and told to expand their pit and paddock facilities. Heck, there is close to 40 v8 Supercars in Australia and they all find pits at Surfer's.

I like the field so far.....just wish PT and Tagliani found work there. Last I heard, Tags was shopping himself to run the NASCAR Nationwide Series or Craftsman Truck. Yet another OW guy who couldn't find a seat when the music stopped and is looking at NASCAR. That said...PT not in the ICS is a crime. He has more presence than any other OW drive save maybe Tony Kanaan.

bblocker68
21st March 2008, 19:14
It makes me laugh some people think too many cars is a problem. Boy oh boy do some people need a slap up side the head. For the last decade the numbers were mind numbing in 20 car fields if that. Listen, on ovals, you can run 43 cars. No where does the ICS run on an oval that NASCAR doesn't visit and NASCAR has 43 car fields for Nationwide and Cup races. On road/street courses, most if not all can easily handle 30 cars. If they cant, then maybe they should be dropped from the sched and told to expand their pit and paddock facilities. Heck, there is close to 40 v8 Supercars in Australia and they all find pits at Surfer's.

I like the field so far.....just wish PT and Tagliani found work there. Last I heard, Tags was shopping himself to run the NASCAR Nationwide Series or Craftsman Truck. Yet another OW guy who couldn't find a seat when the music stopped and is looking at NASCAR. That said...PT not in the ICS is a crime. He has more presence than any other OW drive save maybe Tony Kanaan.

Mark, I have a feeling some people haven't been on these boards for the last 5 years! The prospect of having TOO MANY cars makes me as giddy as a school girl. I've been a member here since 2002, but have never started posting frequently until the inevitable demise of Champcar was looming in the summer. I'd chip in here and there, but not much more than that. After all that has taken place, I can't help but to keep posting as I am monitoring AR1, SpeedTV, Indystar, IndyCar dot com and crash.net almost minute by minute to see what news is repoted. The best thing is that the news has been 80% positive (In my eyes) so far.

The arguements in here the past month have been a great change of pace, compared to what we have been suffering through since Champcar was born.

Do we remember how ticked off we all were when the DP-01 beared little to no fruit as far as new teams/interest to CC were concerned?? Man, I remember it vividly!!

This has given AOWR a new lease on life and I find that I haven't been keeping up on F1 half as much as I have been since 2002. It's all good!!

nanders
21st March 2008, 20:15
Mark, I have a feeling some people haven't been on these boards for the last 5 years! The prospect of having TOO MANY cars makes me as giddy as a school girl.

This has given AOWR a new lease on life and I find that I haven't been keeping up on F1 half as much as I have been since 2002. It's all good!!

I'm with you teamy.

bblocker68
21st March 2008, 20:31
Niles, were are the sole holders of the Chrome Horn for now! Our team is Chrome Horn Racing at our sim league.

BTW, are you going as fast as Norm is at WG?? I barely cracked the 1:19 barrier and I dont know how to squeeze out another second to match his 1:18's!