PDA

View Full Version : Bear convicted for theft of honey

gadjo_dilo
14th March 2008, 08:32
Continuing the long chain of these days odd stories:

The taste of honey was just too tempting for a bear in Macedonia, which repeatedly raided a beekeeper's hives.

Now it has a criminal record after a court found it guilty of theft and criminal damage.

But there was an empty dock in the court in the city of Bitola and no handcuffed bear, which was convicted in its absence.

The case was brought by the exasperated beekeeper after a year of trying vainly to protect his beehives.

For a while, he kept the animal away by buying a generator, lighting up the area, and playing thumping Serbian turbo-folk music.

But when the generator ran out of power and the music fell silent, the bear was back and the honey was gone once more.

"It attacked the beehives again," said beekeeper Zoran Kiseloski.

Because the animal had no owner and belonged to a protected species, the court ordered the state to pay for the damage to the hives - around $3,500 (£1,750; 2,238 euros).

The bear, meanwhile, remains at large - somewhere in Macedonia.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7295559.stm

Azumanga Davo
14th March 2008, 14:40
Serbian turbo-folk music?

Is that like DJ Hixxy, only faster?

Eki
14th March 2008, 18:46
The bear, meanwhile, remains at large - somewhere in Macedonia.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7295559.stm
And I wish they'll never catch him.

First the beekeeper enslaves the bees and steals their honey, and then he has the nerve to blame the bear for doing the same.

RaikkonenRules
14th March 2008, 19:47
How can you convict a bear :laugh: That's the dumbest court case I've ever heard. Did it have to swear to tell the truth, whole truth and nothing but the truth as well :p :

Firstgear
14th March 2008, 20:02
And I wish they'll never catch him.

First the beekeeper enslaves the bees and steals their honey, and then he has the nerve to blame the bear for doing the same.

Why all this anger? Did someone tell you that the beekeepers name is George Bush?

Eki
15th March 2008, 09:40
Why all this anger? Did someone tell you that the beekeepers name is George Bush?
Could have been. At least both the beekeeper and Bush gather wealth (honey or oil money) by making others work for them and sometimes lose their lives while defending the honey or the oil.

craig34
15th March 2008, 21:47
Sticky fingers or should I say stickypaws. That is one of the funniest stories I read today.

harsha
17th March 2008, 04:50
Yogi bear strikes again :D

veeten
17th March 2008, 11:16
Could have been. At least both the beekeeper and Bush gather wealth (honey or oil money) by making others work for them and sometimes lose their lives while defending the honey or the oil.

then again, the bear coul have been armed ;) , thus calling for an anti-bearrist task force to occupy the keeper's farm and keep the honey... err freedoms safe for americans to enjoy. :p

Yogi bear strikes again :D

Yea-hey hey, boo boo. I'm smaaaarrter than the average beekeper. :D

Eki
17th March 2008, 20:08
then again, the bear coul have been armed ;) , thus calling for an anti-bearrist task force to occupy the keeper's farm and keep the honey... err freedoms safe for americans to enjoy. :p

Everybody knows I'm in favor of the right to arm bears.

Camelopard
18th March 2008, 04:17
Everybody knows I'm in favor of the right to arm bears.

:) :) :) :)