PDA

View Full Version : OFCOM (UK) gets tough with phone in quiz shows

Mark
16th January 2007, 14:23
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2548833,00.html

"Name some items you'd find in a womens handbag" ... "Rawplugs?" wtf?

It's interesting that the article suggests that phone in quiz shows or phone in segments of other programming be treated as advertising, with all the restrictions (notably airtime) which are imposed therein.

Dave B
16th January 2007, 14:30
I'm torn.

Part of me thinks that if anybody is stupid enough to call these shows then they deserve everything they (don't) get; part of me believes that the call costs and odds of winning or even getting through to the studio should be clearly displayed at all times.

At least with the Lottery, or at the bookies, you know what the odds are before you part with your money. The drunk and the gullible watch this drivel and spend half an hour hitting re-dial :s

viper_man
16th January 2007, 14:48
Those shows shouldnt exist.

BDunnell
16th January 2007, 16:11
I think that, sometimes, action is required to stop stupid people having the opportunity to do stupid things, rather than merely saying that they should face the consequences. This is one such thing, and I'm generally in favour of banning them. The trouble is, the broadcasters will then find another way of making money that somehow gets round the ban.

inimitablestoo
16th January 2007, 17:21
Quizmania's already finished, which is a shame as it was a cut above the rest. That was mainly down to Greg Scott though, a man who would do a good job on a proper quiz show somewhere.

Hazell B
16th January 2007, 19:51
At least with the Lottery, or at the bookies, you know what the odds are before you part with your money.

Ah, but the draw of most gambling is thinking you can beat the odds - thus odds mean nothing to those daft enough to play.

No idea which one Quizmania is, but I happily watch some of these shows for ten minutes each night before bed. They make me shake my head and laugh at times with their stretched answers (red food - raspberry sorbet? It's pink ... :mark: ) and drunken callers. The average person never calls them and probably does what I do when they watch. The morons are the callers. So long as it says how much it costs to call, I have no problem with them wasting their cash.

The worst case of stretching an answer was Top Ten Sexy Men - answers did not include five of the usual suspects (even Schmenke wasn't listed :dozey: ) but did include Jack Black! In who's universe, they didn't explain :rolleyes:

viper_man
16th January 2007, 21:55
Plus the lottery is fixed anyway

Drew
17th January 2007, 01:44
Ah I love watching those programmes at stupid o'clock in the morning.

The lottery is fixed? Run that one past me again...

Daniel
17th January 2007, 08:51
Ah, but the draw of most gambling is thinking you can beat the odds - thus odds mean nothing to those daft enough to play.

No idea which one Quizmania is, but I happily watch some of these shows for ten minutes each night before bed. They make me shake my head and laugh at times with their stretched answers (red food - raspberry sorbet? It's pink ... :mark: ) and drunken callers. The average person never calls them and probably does what I do when they watch. The morons are the callers. So long as it says how much it costs to call, I have no problem with them wasting their cash.

The worst case of stretching an answer was Top Ten Sexy Men - answers did not include five of the usual suspects (even Schmenke wasn't listed :dozey: ) but did include Jack Black! In who's universe, they didn't explain :rolleyes:
:laugh: So true.

But I still love the programs. You get people regularly calling up and giving the most stupid of answers. Quite funny :laugh:

Gannex
17th January 2007, 14:18
I think shows like that should be banned. So should the so-called "competitions" that are run on British TV, where you have to answer a very difficult question, like:

Who Is Prime Minister of Britain?
A Tony Blair
B Kylie Minogue
C Henry VIII

Text your answer to XXXXXX. Calls cost 50p.

What purpose do these shows and competitions serve, except to part people from their hard-earned cash? Ban 'em all.

Dave B
17th January 2007, 15:08
Kylie, isn't it? :confused:

</jade>

Andrewmcm
17th January 2007, 17:30
I think shows like that should be banned. So should the so-called "competitions" that are run on British TV, where you have to answer a very difficult question, like:

A Tony Blair
B Kylie Minogue
C Henry VIII

What purpose do these shows and competitions serve, except to part people from their hard-earned cash? Ban 'em all.

Those stupid questions are required by law I'm afraid. Contests on TV shows in the UK need to have a qualifying question, otherwise just phoning up and entering without one is classed as a game of chance rather than "skill", and the TV companies would need to obtain a license to allow them to run what would effectively be a lottery.

Hazell B
17th January 2007, 23:50
I'd love to know how the lottery is fixed :laugh:

speedy king
18th January 2007, 00:26
I'm watching this extremely hot brunette female species on TMF this very second, and mind numbingly catchy background music that plays on and on and on.....sorry but i'm addicted to these programs :s Never ring in though, don't fancie the parents seeing any 090 number on the bill at 1am :p :

Daniel
18th January 2007, 00:30
She's not that hot! Your sister's better looking :p

Hazell B
18th January 2007, 00:34
He doesn't get to look at his sister in quite that same light, though :p :

Hell, I don't fancy women and I'd say she's hot!

Daniel
18th January 2007, 00:36
He doesn't get to look at his sister in quite that same light, though :p :

Hell, I don't fancy women and I'd say she's hot!

True :p

She just looks a bit weird to me :p

Hazell B
18th January 2007, 00:41
Hang on, am I thinking of the right person even? :confused:

The Pop the Q one that has real tenuous answers like Jack Black being sexy and Dolly Parton as an actress, is that the one? Big teeth and low cut tops?

speedy king
18th January 2007, 00:45
Yep thats her :D

speedy king
18th January 2007, 00:45
....Hazell you really lost the moment when you gave her such a 'flattering' description :p :

Hazell B
18th January 2007, 00:52
She ain't got no small chompers ;)

Hot yes, but for sure breaking some new teeth in for a horse :p :

speedy king
18th January 2007, 00:54
.....someones been studying her mouth more than me :eek: :s :p : I'll get my coat.... :erm:

Hazell B
18th January 2007, 01:16
Good point, I'll stop now! :p :

Drew
19th January 2007, 16:01
This thread is useless without pictures :p :

Unless she's the same one on ITV :p :

Dave B
19th January 2007, 18:43
Is this her?

http://www.acad.carleton.edu/curricular/BIOL/classes/bio302/Pages/horseTeeth.jpg

:p

Hazell B
21st January 2007, 18:57
No Dave, she's older (thus longer in the tooth) than that :laugh:

Mark
22nd January 2007, 08:21
Those stupid questions are required by law I'm afraid. Contests on TV shows in the UK need to have a qualifying question, otherwise just phoning up and entering without one is classed as a game of chance rather than "skill", and the TV companies would need to obtain a license to allow them to run what would effectively be a lottery.

So what about the Deal or No Deal phone in game?

Hazell B
22nd January 2007, 09:43
There's a difference between the games of skill and chance. Deal or No Deal is a game of chance and has totally different rules.

Dave B
22nd January 2007, 11:38
The phone in DOND game (as opposed to the actual show) clearly states verbally and on screen that "not all calls will be successful but all calls will be charged".

If people still want to phone in after that warning, even though web entry is free, then more fool them.

Mark
22nd January 2007, 11:58
Perhaps in the case of DOND the fact that they have a 'no purchase necessary' route probably gets them out of the regs?

BDunnell
22nd January 2007, 13:22

A Tony Blair
B Kylie Minogue
C Henry VIII

Ones like that have been reprimanded in the past. Remember the 'Midday Money' quiz on This Morning? I don't know whether they do it any more, but it was certainly given a bo**ocking by the ITC a few years ago for giving away money too easily.

(When Tony Blair had a go, though, he found it extremely difficult, by which I was worried.)

Knock-on
22nd January 2007, 14:14
I'm torn.

Part of me thinks that if anybody is stupid enough to call these shows then they deserve everything they (don't) get; part of me believes that the call costs and odds of winning or even getting through to the studio should be clearly displayed at all times.

I disagree.

I look at it as a lifestyle selection tool. The people that use these lines are not the people I want to associate with. If these people waste all their money on this rubbish, then it keeps them out of the places I like to frequent.

I say have more of these things :D

BDunnell
22nd January 2007, 17:14
I disagree.

I look at it as a lifestyle selection tool. The people that use these lines are not the people I want to associate with. If these people waste all their money on this rubbish, then it keeps them out of the places I like to frequent.

I say have more of these things :D

More snobbishness would be a great thing for Britain. It would really sort the wheat from the chaff.

inimitablestoo
22nd January 2007, 17:26
It was one of the saddest moments of last year to find Emily "Bouff" Booth (formerly of Channel 4's kick-posterior computer games show, whatever it was called - no not Gamesmaster, the one with three girls presenting) reduced to presenting one of these "call and lose" ( (C) http://www.ukgameshows.com) shows on ftn :( The only thing sadder was realising I was watching ftn at that time of night...

Hazell B
22nd January 2007, 19:23
Perhaps in the case of DOND the fact that they have a 'no purchase necessary' route probably gets them out of the regs?

Yes, it does. Any game of skill can't go the free entry route, but games of chance can offer a free entry (most crisp/sweets/supermarket promos do it, too) to avoid some sort of reg that I can't even remember the point of. I think it's something to do with the competitor's age, but can't be sure.

Fifth Gear charge for their net entry on games of skill (answering a simple question) and the one time I bothered looking at the page it was more costly! Bet that wasn't popular :p :

Dave B
22nd January 2007, 20:05
[quote="Hazell B"]...games of chance can offer a free entry (most crisp/sweets/supermarket promos do it, too)].../QUOTE]
I remember a Tango promotion a few years back, with the cans proudly boasting: "No purchase necessary. Simply send a stamped-addressed envelope to 'I'm too tight to buy a can of Tango, PO Box...'"

:p

Hazell B
22nd January 2007, 20:22
I've got too much taste to buy a can of Tango, so can I have a free go? :p :

Knock-on
23rd January 2007, 12:48
More snobbishness would be a great thing for Britain. It would really sort the wheat from the chaff.

Too right. We're in agreement for once :D

Or was that this "sarcasm" thing I was once told about :p :

Mark
23rd January 2007, 13:06
I remember a pointless feature on Watchdog where when Polo's were having a competition and they said the usual, send a SAE to this address and we'll open a packet for you and see if you have won.

So Watchdog thought it would be hillarious to send them a few thousand entries. The makers were a bit perplexed but complied with the requirements.

BDunnell
23rd January 2007, 14:11
Companies have learned that they need to be very careful about these things, following the Hoover free flights debacle of the early 1990s and the incident involving Pepsi when they said they'd give a Harrier jump jet to someone if they collected an absurd number of tokens, higher than they had expected anyone would ever do. But they did.

Mark
23rd January 2007, 14:14
Did the person get their harrier jump jet?

One of those must be worth tens of millions.

BDunnell
23rd January 2007, 14:18
I think compensation was paid, because as far as I know, Pepsi didn't have a Harrier to give away.

Tens of millions is a bit much, by the way. Don't ask me what the actual market value is, but you could get a static display-only example pretty cheaply and stick it in your garden.

Daniel
23rd January 2007, 14:26
You mean the wheat from the Chav ;)

Hazell B
24th January 2007, 18:25
Tens of millions is a bit much, by the way. Don't ask me what the actual market value is, but you could get a static display-only example pretty cheaply and stick it in your garden.

I know somebody who bought a tank for the garden. It cost more to have delivered than to buy :rolleyes:
Jeremy Clarkson bought an old RAF plane to annoy the gnome-loving neighbours at one point, too. Wonder what his donkey thought of it :p :

BDunnell
25th January 2007, 13:22
Jeremy Clarkson bought an old RAF plane to annoy the gnome-loving neighbours at one point, too. Wonder what his donkey thought of it :p :

He didn't actually buy it. It was just put there for a TV series (I forget which of his oeuvre it was, though).