PDA

View Full Version : What's your typical working day lunch??

Spoonbender
11th March 2008, 12:59
What's your typical working day lunch, and do you vary it??

I tend to go to the one stop next to work and buy a pastry slice (chicken and mushroom, cheese and bacon etc..) a bag of crisps and a mars bar.
If I meet the Mrs in town, then we go for a KFC hot spicy meal type thing in a box.
Feeling hungry now, just off to the one stop, anyone want anything while I'm there??

Mark
11th March 2008, 13:16
Usually a scone (with butter) a packet of crisps and a chocolate bar.
Largely responsible for my ever increasing waist line and I should put a stop to it :s

Unfortunately that's the only thing that's available locally, for anything else I have to walk into town and that's a fair walk.

gadjo_dilo
11th March 2008, 13:26
I ddon't have a proper lunch break which is rather good cos I hate fast food products, not to mention that I go home earlier. So each day I eat 2 sandwiches + a fruit. It means 4 slices of rye bread with cheese or dried salami or cacciocavallo. In the summer I eat the sandwiches with tomatoes or peppers.
Sometimes I also buy 1 or 2 pretzels.

Azumanga Davo
11th March 2008, 13:41
Chicken strip salad tub, which is really good value for what it is. Much healthier than the usual majority of things I have normally.

dime3
11th March 2008, 13:54
My lunch are typically as boring as you can get. Bread, butter, whatever filling happens to be lying about the house.

I might spice it up with a yoghurt or some crisps! :D

gloomyDAY
11th March 2008, 15:24
Everyone calls me a "health freak" but my diet isn't too difficult.

I usually eat a some chicken thighs, rice, an apple, and some water.

schmenke
11th March 2008, 19:34
The Mrs. usually scoops some of the previous evening's slop into a tupperware which I nuke the next day.
In the event of insufficient quantities (hungry kids :mark: ) she'll whip up a ham 'n cheese sandwich and throw it into a bag, along with an apple.

I rarely have time to go out for lunch :mark:

Breeze
11th March 2008, 20:43
Tin of soup, low fat low sodium variety along with a bit of bread. Some fruit, apple or banana. Occasionally yesterday's leftovers, but only when I cook, which isn't often.

I treat myself to Popeye's Fried Chicken with bisquit and red beans and rice on payday. Occasionally a monster burrito from Chipotle (they're awesome and serve as lunch and dinner!), or carry out from the local Vietnamese restaurant, Pho soup is killer stuff.

Then there's the Peruvian style rotisserie chicken with fried yucca down the road. That's a nice treat.

When all else fails I'll hit the hot food bar at the local grocery for whatever looks good.

I also like to mix in the occasional bowl of chili and baked potato from Wendy's.

GridGirl
11th March 2008, 21:18
I normally have a home made sandwich, a yoghurt, some grapes and a Dairylea baked chrips dunker for lunch. All washed down with orange juice, well that is unless I can get a client to take me out. :D I normally have a cuppa soup for breakfast when I get to work and drink a litre of flavoured water throughout the day.

fandango
11th March 2008, 22:12
With my current timetable:

Monday: I have 20-25 minutes for lunch, and it's usually in a bar near a class I teach in a law office. It consists of a salad, and then a toasted sandwich. It varies as to what type of salad and sandwich, but it's good considering I don't have much time. There are two guys working in the bar. One is Carles, the other Charlie.

Tuesday: Lunch is usuallywith some people I teach, a kind of work/lunch all in one. I bring food from home and heat it up in their office kitchen. It's usually something like pasta with bolognese or roast chicken with rice, then a yoghurt. When they make me a coffee they always overheat the milk in the microwave, which causes much cursing.

Wednesday: I have a whole hour for lunch between classes, so I usually go to an all-you-can-eat place, which has a good salad bar, then pizza or chick peas or fish or something. Over the years I've learned to hold back and not roll out of the place...

Thursday: I only have about 15-20 minutes, so I often go to a Shawarma place opposite my next class. They're Syrian and very chatty, which is nice when they're talking to you, not so good if they're taking their time with the person in front of you in the queue.

Friday: I often go to a bar I like for lunch in the centre of town, a salad first, then steak or fish. i often have time to relax and have a coffee.

This is the advantage of having a job where you move around. All over the city I have my little places to eat well and quickly. Things could be worse....

Rollo
11th March 2008, 22:27
4 sandwiches, 1 Banana, 1 Packet of Thick Cut crisps, 1 Tin of tuna (suitable for making one sandwich) and maybe either sausage roll or a pie.
Lunch begins at about 11am and doesn't finish until about 4pm.

Couple this with my daily trip to the bank which involves a 4 mile round trip. I could take a bus, but I figure that I'd rather be outside in the sunshine for an hour than cooped up in a bus.

BDunnell
11th March 2008, 22:29
Couple of nice rolls, some houmous and an orange and mango juice.

Camelopard
11th March 2008, 22:46
When I'm on dayshift and it's monday to friday I go to the work cafe/canteen, if I like the look of something I'll have that, otherwise it will be a sandwich and salad.
Nightshift can be something brought from home and nuked or I'll wander over to one of the restaurants nearby, last sunday night I had Singapore style noodles from a Laotian/Thai place. yum-o.
Now as I'm on days off I'm about to have a toasted cheese and tomato sandwich and a BIG cup of coffeeeeee.

Camelopard
11th March 2008, 22:49
4 sandwiches, 1 Banana, 1 Packet of Thick Cut crisps, 1 Tin of tuna (suitable for making one sandwich) and maybe either sausage roll or a pie.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Camelopard
11th March 2008, 22:52

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Rollo
11th March 2008, 23:32
What? I'm at football training two nights a week, usually there's a mid-week match as well and there's Saturday games to contend with. If I'm playing a game of football I can't eat a damn thing for about 3 hours beforehand or else it's going to the House of Vom all over the sideline.

It takes a lot to keep the fires going :s

BDunnell
11th March 2008, 23:34
The thought of tuna brings me to the House of Vom without even seeing, smelling or eating it.

(I did however eat some accidentally of late, and thought it was one of the best meals I'd had in recent times, but like a child finding out for the first time what giblets are I would have said 'no' to it had I known...)

Camelopard
12th March 2008, 00:17
What? I'm at football training two nights a week, usually there's a mid-week match as well and there's Saturday games to contend with. If I'm playing a game of football I can't eat a damn thing for about 3 hours beforehand or else it's going to the House of Vom all over the sideline.

It takes a lot to keep the fires going :s

It wasn't meant as a criticism, honest!

Most of the ex-footballers that I know continue to eat the same quantities after they have stopped playing with dire results for their waistline, not that mine is anything to be proud of, way too much red vino these days.

raybak
12th March 2008, 01:26
If I'm in the office i will grab a salad roll from Timbo's around the corner. when i'm out on the road I usually take a sandwich and some fruit, but if I'm going into a Fruit Fly free zone I don't take fruit. Also keep some muesli bars and water in the car for the longer trips.

Ray

maxu05
12th March 2008, 04:45
I guess I am quite lucky, as my wifes mother always has lunch ready when I come home. I work from 08:30 until 11:00, then don't go back to work until 15:00, so I will usually have a serve of Chinese Dumplings, maybe some home made noodles with steamed vegetables, and of course a beer. :facelick: Life is good here :D

leopard
12th March 2008, 05:49
Wouldn't it make stiflingly hot having a beer for lunch?. :)

My best pick would be smoked meat with unsteamed vegetables. I have whatever for my lunch, because on the way home in the afternoon I usually have meal and coffee. It gives me alternative to have the meal in the middle of crowd of city or using alternative pathway alongside the river.

A bowl of noodles and a cup of coffee would be nice choice :s mokin:

janneppi
12th March 2008, 06:52
Hmm, todays' menu at my Uni is:
-Grilled salmon
-meatballs and potatoes
-tomato feta pasta thingy
-kebab burger
-minced meat bacon pizza

After an arduous 30 minutes of negotiations, we'll most likely end up the burger. Good change for the almost every day chicken bits and rice we have here.

pino
12th March 2008, 07:31
Hmm, todays' menu at my Uni is:
-Grilled salmon
-meatballs and potatoes
-tomato feta pasta thingy
-kebab burger
-minced meat bacon pizza

After an arduous 30 minutes of negotiations, we'll most likely end up the burger. Good change for the almost every day chicken bits and rice we have here.

A burger when you can have a grilled salmon ? :crazy: :p :

Great Menu btw :eek:

Spoonbender
12th March 2008, 09:34
I find this fascinating to see what we all eat, as i presumed we all did the same :) (I don't mean all go to the one stop next to my work)
Only trouble is reading this thread is making me hungry and I've not long since had my breakfast......................which by the way was a cuppa-soup extra (with the noodles and croutons) and 4 rounds of toast with dairylea spread on (no butter, on a diet :) )

I'm meeting my son up town today to help him sort out a bank account, I expect we'll go for lunch and I know he favours Subway, so I will predict a sub-of -the-day for me today.

janneppi
12th March 2008, 09:50
A burger when you can have a grilled salmon ? :crazy: :p :

By Grilled the company that makes the food means it's heated in a steam pressure thingy and then left to dry so the surface get's slightly crispy. :)

Great Menu btw :eek:
Are looking to improve your own selection? :p :
Mind you, it sounds a lot better than it is.

Camelopard
12th March 2008, 10:06
-meatballs and potatoes

Ahhh, but are they Swedish meatballs or Italian meatballs :) .

janneppi
12th March 2008, 10:16
The actual name they are serving them is Frikadelli, I'm guessing it might bi Italian for too small meat ball as they are laughably small in size. :)

gadjo_dilo
12th March 2008, 10:47
Congrats guys as I've noticed after the food you're eating at work that all of you are good mannered.
I'm writing this because just at this moment a few colleagues ordered some hot food with a lot of garlic and onion and the office stincks like a canteen kitchen. How can some people who pretend to be gentlemen and ladies to be so thickskinned?

Storm
12th March 2008, 11:24
Crap lunch at the cafeteria :s

fandango
12th March 2008, 21:35
The actual name they are serving them is Frikadelli, I'm guessing it might bi Italian for too small meat ball as they are laughably small in size. :)

There's a Spanish joke about that, not very funny, but the punchline is "and the waiter said 'yes sir, I'm afraid today the bull, he win' "

veeten
13th March 2008, 18:27
fried chicken and biscuits (american style, that is) and iced tea. :lips: :)

leopard
14th March 2008, 04:43
Honestly my cafetaria offers the meatball quite often, everybody here love it too. But it sickens me.

I'd prefer american menu, fried chicken and iced tea or pepsi of McD or KFC .. :lips: :)

Woodeye
14th March 2008, 10:06
My employer is nice enough to provide employees in our office with lunch coupons that are worth 8 euros. We can use those in whatever restaurant only accept the coupons. This week my lunches were the flollowing ones:

Monday: Creamy pyttipannu (fried potatoes, bacon, pieces of sausage and onion) with fried egg, pickled cucumbers and pickled beet
Tuesday: Fresh salad with tomato pasta and dijon chicken
Wednesday: Fresh chicken salad
Thursday: Lasagne... :D

Today I'm a having a flu so it's going to be somekind of a soup or something...

slinkster
14th March 2008, 13:38
I vary mine. If I'm working my part time job, I usually take sarnies with me or occasionally I'll nip to Greggs and get a sausage roll, or pizza slice. There's a great little burger van round the corner too which does a great cheese burger, so that's hard to resist sometimes. The first Friday of each month we get a farmers market and the stall right outside sells Hog Roast sandwiches which are just beautiful. :)

veeten
21st March 2008, 15:37
well, since today is Good Friday, that means fish. :)