PDA

View Full Version : #27 shuts down

RaikkonenRules
10th March 2008, 22:02
Slugger Labbe, crew chief of the #27 Toyota for Bill Davis Racing says that the team has suspended operations due to lack of funding. The #27 may run Talladega but sponsorship money is needed to keep this team afloat.

jayski.com

RaceFanStan
12th March 2008, 11:10
I noticed that Johnny Benson Jr had been withdrawn from the Bristol entry list ...
I thought Bill Davis Racing might scale back the #27 but I didn't expect them to shut down ... :s
the sponsorship dollars are more important to the teams than ever before ...
sadly the mid-pack & back teams will continue to have sponsorship woes ...
any team not in the the top 35 in owners points could have problems getting sponsorship. :s

Gasman
12th March 2008, 20:28
any team not in the the top 35 in owners points could have problems getting sponsorship. :s

So maybe its time to give some serious thought to NASCAR franchising starting places to teams. Then a car is guaranteed to get into the race and the sponsor gets the exposure they need to justify their expenditure.

I know that this is controversial, but it does make very good business sense and could be the future model for NASCAR...

Lee Roy
12th March 2008, 20:51
So maybe its time to give some serious thought to NASCAR franchising starting places to teams. Then a car is guaranteed to get into the race and the sponsor gets the exposure they need to justify their expenditure.

I know that this is controversial, but it does make very good business sense and could be the future model for NASCAR...

That's what Formula One does. It does offer value for the team owners, but it's a shame that it exclueds anyone not in the "club".

nigelred5
13th March 2008, 00:36
Pesonally I'm not fond of anything but the fastest 43 cars in the field. No provisionals, period. The way it should be. Many of the smaller teams would get in week to week on speed alone, but the top 35 and provisionals knock them out. Last seasoon, how often were the toyotas well in on speed but knocked out py a provisional. That's a wrong as it gets in racing.

RaceFanStan
13th March 2008, 01:56
So you mean that a guy can win over 10 CUP races or be a previous CUP champion
but have engine failure on his qualifying lap & he has to go home ??? :eek:
Whether you like them or not, provisionals are needed !!! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Lee Roy
13th March 2008, 11:46
Whether you like them or not, provisionals are needed !!! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Bingo.

Without some kind of provisional system, you would need to have some kind of a qualifying system that would give everyone 2 or 3 chances to qualify.

Hey, engine failure? It could be something as simple as a leaking tire.

There's no other major racing series that I know of that doesn't have either some kind of guarantee to make the field (provisionals) or multiple qualifying attempts.

colinspooky
13th March 2008, 11:58
yep - I agree with that too.

Talk about shaking up the field. I am amazed at this provisional thing. Weird rule - I can understand it because the 'crowd' want to see the stars, but how do the future stars emerge if they are routinely sent home every week.

And surely the crowd want to see the best cars out there rather than the best names, no?

RaceFanStan
13th March 2008, 12:40
As they say, "the cream will rise to the top" ...
if future stars have the talent & have a competitve car/team, they will make the race on speed* ...
however any driver with a non-competitive car/team will soon drop out of the top 35 in owners points.

Making the race doesn't assure making a large number of points,
accumulating good points requires consistant good finishes,
just making the top 35 in owners points doesn't keep them there,
the driver/car/team have to perform or else they will drop out of the top 35 in owners points. :eek:

speed* = the 7 fastest qualifiers will earn their way into the race. :D

Lee Roy
13th March 2008, 13:59
yep - I agree with that too.

Talk about shaking up the field. I am amazed at this provisional thing. Weird rule - I can understand it because the 'crowd' want to see the stars, but how do the future stars emerge if they are routinely sent home every week.

And surely the crowd want to see the best cars out there rather than the best names, no?

At least in NASCAR, they get a chance. NASCAR walks a fine line between protecting the guys who make the sport and giving others a chance.

In Formula One, how do they get a chance if they are not part of the exclusive club. How can they get a chance at the biggest race in the world, the 24 Hours of LeMans, when it is by invitation only?

PSfan
19th March 2008, 06:32
And now Slugger walks away:

__________________________________________________ _______________
Labbe leaves No. 27 BDR race team

TSN.ca Staff
3/18/2008 8:59:36 AM

Labbe has parted ways with the NASCAR team after BDR parked the No. 27 car last weekend in Bristol due to a lack of sponsorship.

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story/?ID=232301&hubname=auto_racing
__________________________________________________ _______________

And just to touch base with the current qualifying discussion, I've been meaning to ask, had Daytona's qualifying been base on the speed runs for pole, and not the twin duels (Apologies if I don't have the nascar jargen down, haven't had alot of interest since the early 90s) where how would the #27 had done if it was conventional nascar qualifying?

I also think its retarded the fastest dodge in the daytona qualifying (not the duels... I bring that up because a dodge won the daytona) missed the race thanks to the duels, and as a result missed the following race thanks to the rain, and as a result had a snowballs chance in a very warm place of making top 35 after 5 races, especially after a 2nd race's qualifying was washed out due to rain.

Abo
19th March 2008, 07:45

Yeah. Tough but that's how it should be. It sure beats the F1 boys club system...

RaceFanStan
19th March 2008, 12:55
I expect to see ALL of the big names on the track ! :bulb:

Just because a driver blows a tire or loses an engine in qualifying ...
is NOT an acceptable reason for me to not to get to see them compete ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif

I want ALL of the best drivers ON the track racing !!! http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/smilies/bomb.gif

I repeat : PROVISIONALS ARE NEEDED !!! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Lee Roy
19th March 2008, 13:16
I expect to see ALL of the big names on the track ! :bulb:

Just because a driver blows a tire or loses an engine in qualifying ...
is NOT an acceptable reason for me to not to get to see them compete ! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif

I want ALL of the best drivers ON the track racing !!! http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/smilies/bomb.gif

I repeat : PROVISIONALS ARE NEEDED !!! http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

I agree. Big difference in priorities between being a trackowner, teamowner, big-buck sponsor, and an internet poster.

If NASCAR were to go to a one-shot-only-to-qualify-pass-or-fail without any other way to make the field, they would be the ONLY, and I repeat ONLY, professional racing series to have this kind of system. Yet, I NEVER read any beotching about provisionals/guaranteed starting spots/multiple qualifying attempts for other racing series.

I guess after a while you have to get used to the "everything NASCAR is doing is bad" attitude.

muggle not
19th March 2008, 15:47
Well, I am one that likes the current system as is, no changes period. I feel sorry for Bill Davis Racing and hate to see the little guys shut down, but something went wrong somewhere along the line with his team.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
20th March 2008, 10:30
Well, I am one that likes the current system as is, no changes period. I feel sorry for Bill Davis Racing and hate to see the little guys shut down, but something went wrong somewhere along the line with his team.

I agree. In a series where 50 cars turn up for 43 spots each week someones gonna go home. Im glad we have a system where teams can turn up and at least try to get in, you wont see that anywhere else.

2nd June 2008, 01:26
Bill Davis Trucking was not forced into Bankruptcy. He filed for Bankruptcy to get out of paying the Hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills he owes, due to a Severe Injury accident causing massive and multiple injuries back in April of 2006.

This California has suffered greatly, not to mention permanently disabled from the injuries and in Bankruptcy themselves.This is not a frivolous lawsuit....

Bill Davis was not forced into Bankruptcy, he in fact is hiding behind the law. Bill Davis PR states that Bill Davis Trucking and Bill Davis racing are two separate entities when in fact they are NOT, he has transferred monies (in the seven digits) between each company to avoid paying his dues.

He is willing to put all his employees out of work so he can worm his way out of paying his bills........ the legal system is so unjust

This man has no ethics or conscious