PDA

View Full Version : Oil - Black Gold - Texas Tea

Roamy
10th March 2008, 13:24
well the price of oil is a concern. Also the fact that Exxon made 11 billion dollars last quarter and I don't see much evidence of money being invested by them in alternative energy, is also pissing me off. In the US diesel costs more that premium gasoline and this has to be a incredible rip off. Perhaps the pendulum has swung too far and is now hidden behind the "bush"

How much are you guys paying for fuel??
please say
country
diesel
gasoline

Magnus
10th March 2008, 13:29
I payed 12,54 sek yesterday, that is 1,34Euro or 2$ 5cents
I don´t drive that much nowadays though, so it does not hurt me that much (abt 15000 kms/years)

Spoonbender
10th March 2008, 13:35
England, Somerset:

Petrol standard unleaded £1.06.9 per litre
Diesel £1.09.9 per litre

Budget this week, Chancellor is threatening to put on another £0.02 per litre for the Government, what a tosser!

jim mcglinchey
10th March 2008, 13:36
Northern Ireland
Petrol £1.08/ litre
Diesel £1.12/ litre
Home heating oil 45 pence / litre

Rudy Tamasz
10th March 2008, 13:43
In Belarus premium gas is $1.13 per liter. Everybody thinks it's a rip-off. Diesel is cheaper at $0.79 per liter.

Mark
10th March 2008, 14:05
Usually petrol is 110p per litre now. To put than in a USA perspective that's approx US$8.35 per US gallon

SOD
10th March 2008, 15:10
€1.20 per litre of petrol
€1.19 per litre of diesel.

J4MIE
10th March 2008, 15:58
Unleaded is 102.1p here, what a bargain :s

Roamy
10th March 2008, 16:31
Holy Sh!t - we need to go to WAR !!!

edv
10th March 2008, 16:31
Fousto, I was in Frankfurt Germany the other night.
The gas station had Premium for the equiv of $2.35 Canadian per litre.
That works out to over $8 a gallon. You paying that much yet? I about crappped my pants!

Dave B
10th March 2008, 16:59
106.9 for unleaded here in Kent, and I've just used the last of my Tesco 5p off vouchers.

anthonyvop
10th March 2008, 17:37
well the price of oil is a concern. Also the fact that Exxon made 11 billion dollars last quarter and I don't see much evidence of money being invested by them in alternative energy, is also pissing me off.

Why?
They are a private company.
Exxon exists for one thing and one thing only......To make money.
If you owned Exxon stock you wouldn't be too upset now would you?
Other oil companies are investing heavily in "Alternative Energies" IF Exxon upsets you then take your business elsewhere.

In the US diesel costs more that premium gasoline and this has to be a incredible rip off.

Thanks to the treehuggers. The Federal mandated re-formulation of Diesel is the main-cause.
Add in the fact that the "feel good" brigade along with the ever lethal NIMBY's have prevented the construction of any new refineries for almost 30 years and you will not wonder why refinery production in the US is maxed out

SOD
10th March 2008, 18:05
Thanks to the treehuggers. The Federal mandated re-formulation of Diesel is the main-cause.
Add in the fact that the "feel good" brigade along with the ever lethal NIMBY's have prevented the construction of any new refineries for almost 30 years and you will not wonder why refinery production in the US is maxed out

same argument I saw elsewhere, is someone not thinking for themselves?

BTCC Fan#1
10th March 2008, 20:39
As long as your making $11bn profits why bother doing anything to change that by investing any time/money in currently uneconomical renewable energy? Sad but true, its not just Exxon that is doing this, none of the big oil companies have made any serious effort in this field.

That said, I recently spoke with a representative from an oil company who was keen that any potential employees ensure that they talk up their 'environmental credentials' at interviews. This is not an isolated case, many oil companies are increasingly keen to hire people who both actually care about the environment, and are concerned about the future of relying so heavily on a finite resource like oil. Its hard not to take the cynical view that this could be just to be seen to be doing something, but I like to think that by taking people like this on board there is some hope of these companies preparing for the inevitable in the future.

Magnus
10th March 2008, 21:20
OT BTCC fan#1: does your signature hint at the Hitchhikers Guide to the Glalaxy?

rah
10th March 2008, 22:55
Sydney - Aus
AUD$1.44 per L for ULP
Diesel is usually 10c more per L

The price is cheapest on Tuesday and most expensive on Thursday for some reason. Diesel is more expensive here because of higher taxes on diesel than standard ULP.

gadjo_dilo
11th March 2008, 07:42
Diesel:
Efix Euro - 4 4 lei/l = 1,17E
super Euro 5 - 4,26 lei/l = 1,14E

Gasoline:
Premium E 4 - 3,8 lei/l = 1,02E
Efix 95 - 3,78 lei/l =1,01 E
Euro Super 98 without Lead (Euro 4) - 4,38 lei/l. = 1,17 E

To complete the picture: Medium netto salary = 310 E. So only God may understand the increasing number of cars on the streets. :laugh:

11th March 2008, 08:21
hi I new user here plz infomed me Oil - Black Gold - Texas Tea

Mark
11th March 2008, 08:30
Hello :wave:
No idea what you just said..

leopard
11th March 2008, 10:02
Black gold might be euphemism associated with basic color of crude oil to simply call the oil. People use the same term consist of their color and expensive character to name something such as coal the black diamond, while the rest use black diamond also to name product of rubber.

Not sure for the Texas Tea, probably in Texas tea is an expensive commodity while they have color mainly black, if not green.

This might help ;)

Spoonbender
11th March 2008, 10:58
Not sure, but I think the Texas Tea is more cos Texas is a big oil producer?? Any hoo both of those oil type nicknames come from the original "Beverly Hill Billies" theme tune from the sixties. Lyrics as follows

"Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed
A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed,
Then one day he was shootin at some food,
And up through the ground came a bubblin crude.

Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.

Well the first thing you know ol Jed's a millionaire,
Kinfolk said "Jed move away from there"
Said "Californy is the place you ought to be"
So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly.

Hills, that is. Swimmin pools, movie stars.

Well now its time to say good by to Jed and all his kin.
And they would like to thank you folks fer kindly droppin in.
You're all invited back a gain to this locality
To have a heapin helpin of their hospitality

Hillybilly that is. Set a spell, Take your shoes off.

Y'all come back now, y'hear?."

Hope this helps.

UK people, what happened to ESSO

Mark
11th March 2008, 12:33
On a typical UK price of £1.05 per litre the actual price of the petrol itself is about 40p, the rest is tax.

Spoonbender
11th March 2008, 12:54
£45 Billion is raised each year from road tax, £10 Billion each year is spent on roads, £35 Billion missing, I'll help look for it :)
Wish I'd listened more at school and become a politician, voting on a huge pay rise every year :)

Drew
11th March 2008, 13:10
£45 Billion is raised each year from road tax, £10 Billion each year is spent on roads, £35 Billion missing, I'll help look for it :)
Wish I'd listened more at school and become a politician, voting on a huge pay rise every year :)

You're going to have to look far far away, to 2 countries in particular :p :

Roamy
11th March 2008, 16:38
[quote="anthonyvop"]Why?
Other oil companies are investing heavily in "Alternative Energies" IF Exxon upsets you then take your business elsewhere.

Well actually Tony, This is exactly what will give us Obama as the next president. Gasoline is a commodity and one really has no alternative to "take your business elsewhere" Gasoline prices are basically fixed like in price fixing. Also I hear one of the reasons oil is so high is that the futures market has invested billions in oil futures and are driving the price up. But the long and short of this is that over glutting the capitalistic opportunity in this country will lead to democrats ruling which you and I don't want. There is a old saying that the republicans need to heed. "A pig gets fatter and a hog gets slaughtered"

McCain has a real battle to keep the whitehouse and you will hear about Exxon profits daily.

rah
11th March 2008, 21:39
[quote="anthonyvop"]Why?
/quote]

Great advice, I did. I always try to avoid filling up at Mobil stations. I only do when I have no other choice.

schmenke
11th March 2008, 22:11
Canada (Alberta)
Diesel: No idea, but I suspect about $.90/litre (approx. $3.50/gallon)
Gasoline: $1.06/litre (approx. $4.00/gallon)

...and we moan :mark:

anthonyvop
12th March 2008, 02:48
Why?

Well actually Tony, This is exactly what will give us Obama as the next president. Gasoline is a commodity and one really has no alternative to "take your business elsewhere" Gasoline prices are basically fixed like in price fixing. Also I hear one of the reasons oil is so high is that the futures market has invested billions in oil futures and are driving the price up. But the long and short of this is that over glutting the capitalistic opportunity in this country will lead to democrats ruling which you and I don't want. There is a old saying that the republicans need to heed. "A pig gets fatter and a hog gets slaughtered"

McCain has a real battle to keep the whitehouse and you will hear about Exxon profits daily.

So we should compromise our principles to placate a uninformed voting block?

leopard
12th March 2008, 02:50
Not sure, but I think the Texas Tea is more cos Texas is a big oil producer?? Any hoo both of those oil type nicknames come from the original "Beverly Hill Billies" theme tune from the sixties. Lyrics as follows

I think the theme tune was made based on similarity of the color, I know exactly that Americans drink black tea.
Thanks it's helpful, I was without any hint on the song as it came in an ancient time. ;)

It sounds odd that in some country we have to pay lower grade of oil, diesel higher than premium. Normally diesel shouldn't exceed premium, except for industries which require constant big volume of diesel it'd be acceptable.

I don't know that there is any country sell the premium lower than here. We might have sufficient resource or the price was greatly subsidized, but surely we can work with whomever as long as both parties benefited from that partnership. It's been long time Exxon mobile operates their Arun, currently Iran is building their drilling installation in one of our province, while we are building different investment in Iran. ;)

Mark
12th March 2008, 07:54
It's expected that the chancellor won't put up fuel duty by 2p in todays budget as previously planned.

janneppi
12th March 2008, 08:27
Is that really the case? Or is that just a convenient mantra to the blame on environmentalists when the real reason could be as simple as new refineries not being profitable enough to justify the building cost?

I'm sure you haven't just copy pasted the same no new refineries for 30 years that every "feel bad" site and did a bit of your own research and found the refinery plans that were rejected. Right?

anthonyvop
12th March 2008, 12:45
Is that really the case? Or is that just a convenient mantra to the blame on environmentalists when the real reason could be as simple as new refineries not being profitable enough to justify the building cost?

I'm sure you haven't just copy pasted the same no new refineries for 30 years that every "feel bad" site and did a bit of your own research and found the refinery plans that were rejected. Right?
Yes I did. Did you?

Dave B
12th March 2008, 12:49
It's expected that the chancellor won't put up fuel duty by 2p in todays budget as previously planned.
The rise has been postponed until October.

My local petrol station has put unleaded up 2p since Saturday anyway :(

janneppi
12th March 2008, 13:11
Yes I did. Did you?
Could you post some information about it, most google links seem to be someone [add direction]winged blogs which are as reliable as next years weather forecast.
Only official bits I found told that Refinery production has steadily increased for the last ten years or so due to better management of old refineries.

L5->R5/CR
12th March 2008, 14:04

Oil prices are more stable then you might think.

Much of the recent price increases have been more due to the devaluation of the dollar than anything else. That isn't to say there isn't about $7-10.00 USD of positive price pressure from futures investment and people hedging in oil against a price crash from a full blown world wide recession.

Expect US gas prices to experience negative price pressure starting in April when ethanol supplies surge and experience a cyclical price drop.

Part of the reason that new refineries aren't likely to be profitable enough is due to regulations and taxation that was championed by environmentalists.

Most of the US refineries were built where they were built due to a series of tax and zoning incentives. The whole premise of new refineries bring new "good" jobs was justification enough to make some compromises on a municipal level. Politically now it is too costly to even re-zone unused industrial land to allow refineries to expand or new ones to be built around existing complexes.

One thing that most don't stop to think about is the fact that many of the major refining complexes in the US are surrounded by other developments. Here in the Denver area in Colorado we are a regional refining and distribution hub for something like 7 or 8 states. There is land for a new refinery to be built adjacent to all of the other major refining and distribution infrastructure but due to environmental pressures the city where all of the refineries and where the land is won't rezone it to be appropriate for refining due to the political mobilization of the environmentalists who have made it clear that any politician that supports the zoning change will lose their elected position.

That said, there are two additional refining sites that were considered but they were too far away from the rest of the complexes that the distribution from those facilities would be cost prohibitive. So it isn't that refining oil into gasoline or other products isn't profitable enough to justify the building of a refinery so much so that there exist enough externalities that absorb the profit there would be.

555-04Q2
13th March 2008, 10:41
South Africa

Petrol - ZAR 8.01 per liter
Diesel - ZAR 7.96 per liter