PDA

View Full Version : Walker is out of ICS

grungex
9th March 2008, 23:20
I posted this in another thread earlier, now it's on his website:

http://www.walkerracing.com/media/display.php?id=417&lang=en

bblocker68
9th March 2008, 23:22
Yup, just saw this on the ticker on Speed Report :( Power is on his way to KV, right?

grungex
9th March 2008, 23:30
It sounds like Gore took Team Australia and Power to KV Racing...

mikiec
9th March 2008, 23:40
It sounds like Gore took Team Australia and Power to KV Racing...

That was the impression I got from recent stories. Also, Gore allegedly owes sponsorhip money to Walker Racing for 2007.

It's a shame, cos I've always liked Walker especially as they gave Darren Manning his first Champ Car season with the RAC car in 2003.

bblocker68
9th March 2008, 23:46
Too bad he couldn't do a 3rd car effort with Penske.

nigelred5
9th March 2008, 23:48
That's a shame. It's kinda ironic that Walker was also one of the first this off season to openly state they were likely going to the IRL. Why wouldn't stay at Walker? can't KK afford a team on his own?

FormerFF
10th March 2008, 01:09
I'm sorry to hear this. I always thought that Derrick did a lot with the resources he had available.

timshag
10th March 2008, 01:41
Walker is a class act.
Always in the mix.

This is what sucks about ChampCar.
Why would Gore pull out like this?

grungex
10th March 2008, 01:44
Rumour is that KK stole him...

Placid
10th March 2008, 01:47
And what about Simon Pagenaud?
Will he look for an IRL or head towards F3 or GP2?

fugariracing
10th March 2008, 01:55
And what about Simon Pagenaud?
Will he look for an IRL or head towards F3 or GP2?

He wasn't likely to come back to Walker/TA anyway because he had no funding to keep the second seat once the Atlantic money ran dry. Has tested in LMS in Europe and will probably go there now.

Another troubling thing in that PR was no mention of Walker's Atlantic program which had three confirmed seats for Mansell's two sons and Kevin Lacroix. If they bite the bullet, Atlantics will be sub-20 cars this season.

Rogelio
10th March 2008, 02:11
Walker not racing in the IRL is unfortuante for the drivers and team. Unfortuantely, the ill-timed decision for the Amigos to capitulate to the IRL has had catastrophic results for the Champ Car teams. Surely, Team Australia would have struggled answering the Champ Car bell had the season started, but the last minute "merger"/buyout certainly did not help the matter. Further, how is the bankrupt Champ Car even going to fill a field for Long Beach? I was angry with Forsythe not going to the IRL. Now, I am glad he is not going, although I feel bad for my favorite driver PT. Likewise, I am glad that Walker is not going.

As days go by I am becoming more disillusioned with the whole situation.

grungex
10th March 2008, 02:25
Another troubling thing in that PR was no mention of Walker's Atlantic program which had three confirmed seats for Mansell's two sons and Kevin Lacroix. If they bite the bullet, Atlantics will be sub-20 cars this season.

His Atlantics program is not related to the ICS program.

geek49203
10th March 2008, 02:27
Walker not racing in the IRL is unfortuante for the drivers and team. Unfortuantely, the ill-timed decision for the Amigos to capitulate to the IRL has had catastrophic results for the Champ Car teams. Surely, Team Australia would have struggled answering the Champ Car bell had the season started, but the last minute "merger"/buyout certainly did not help the matter. Further, how is the bankrupt Champ Car even going to fill a field for Long Beach? I was angry with Forsythe not going to the IRL. Now, I am glad he is not going, although I feel bad for my favorite driver PT. Likewise, I am glad that Walker is not going.

I've never seen a business go bankrupt in a pretty way. I've never seen a business end with everything in good order, with everyone happy. This is what happens when a business goes under - people lose all over the place.

AS for being "happy" with Forsythe and Walker not going to the IRL... isn't this your basic "lose-lose" attitude? I mean, if "you" (CCWS) loses you hope that the other guys lose too? What do you intend on watching for AOWR once they both die... Star Mazda?

When Paul Newman showed up at Indy last summer the entire press corp (mostly NASCAR but most with some idea of Indy racing) was shocked. I was in that press conference, and there was definitely some... energy... with NHL, akin to two former lovers meeting after 10 years of hating each other. Given the hatred of Paul Newman at the time of the split, and the grudges held by NHL for 13 years, I'm surprised to see them come back -- perhaps it is a sign that Mssrs. Newman and Haas are looking to retire?

Akin to NHL, I have to wonder if Forsythe just can't stomach the IRL, TG, the entire Indy scene. I'm not surprised to see them opt out of the new series, but still very sad.

Finally, I'm dismayed by Walker. However, as I recall, they were definitely squeezed for cash. Perhaps TG can help them find a sponsor that has markets both in Oz and the USA?

DBell
10th March 2008, 03:19
When Paul Newman showed up at Indy last summer the entire press corp (mostly NASCAR but most with some idea of Indy racing) was shocked. I was in that press conference, and there was definitely some... energy... with NHL, akin to two former lovers meeting after 10 years of hating each other. Given the hatred of Paul Newman at the time of the split, and the grudges held by NHL for 13 years, I'm surprised to see them come back -- perhaps it is a sign that Mssrs. Newman and Haas are looking to retire?

Couldn't have this been due to NHL trying to acquire Yates racing more than anything?

Walker said this about his Atlantic program.

Speaking from Laguna Seca, Calif. where his Atlantic team is testing tomorrow, Walker was meeting Nigel Mansell on Sunday night. Mansell’s two sons, Greg and Leo, are hoping to compete in Atlantics for Walker this season.
“It remains to be seen whether Nigel’s sons will continue with us because there’s a lot of uncertainty about the Atlantic series. We’re hoping to get some answers and my goal would be to run four Atlantic cars to keep as many people going as possible.

I don't think not having enough pit stalls is going to be an issue this year.

Skid Marx
10th March 2008, 03:20
Walker is a class act.
Always in the mix.

This is what sucks about ChampCar.
Why would Gore pull out like this?

I don't think you can pin this one on ChampCar. First of all, Walker had already been the first of the ChampCar owners to announce his intention to switch to the IRL, which for all we know may have been a driving factor in Gore jumping ship. Second, ChampCar doesn't exist anymore, hasn't for a couple weeks; this happened in the new, happy-happy-joy-joy IRL.

seppefan
10th March 2008, 08:32
I feel very sorry for Derrick Walker and his team of 40 people. Gore owes him $1.5m from 07 and leaves to go to KV racing. Thanks KK! Bet Vasser feels great about it. What a gentleman DW is. Not a mention of how Gore & KK have turned him over just the comment that Power wanted to stay. They even had an IRL car in Team Aussie colours ready. Well thinking about it, if Gore does not pay his bills maybe DW is best without him but it is a pity for the series.

Rudy Tamasz
10th March 2008, 08:37
Another truly heroic team bites the dust. Sad. :(

BobGarage
10th March 2008, 09:26
Gore owes him $1.5m from 07 and leaves to go to KV racing. Thanks KK!

i really don't see how its KK's fault???

The Walker/Aussie Vineyards deal was up at the end of 2007 so that left Gore free to go where ever he wants.

Gore chose not to renew with Walker.
Gore still owes Walker Money.
Yet somehow people are blaming KK for that???

seppefan
10th March 2008, 10:16

The Walker/Aussie Vineyards deal was up at the end of 2007 so that left Gore free to go where ever he wants.

I accept that it is not KK fault and that we live in a commercial capitalist world. It is just the nasty side to it that is all.

MAX_THRUST
10th March 2008, 12:07
Regardless of who did what when and where, this is terrible news for DW. The team was always approachable, proffesional, and will be a great loss to the IRL just when they thought they were getting some good new teams.

I'd like to wish all at Walker racing the very best for the future and lets hope some funding comes along for them all to remain employed.

BenRoethig
10th March 2008, 13:28
Another truly heroic team bites the dust. Sad. :(

Its just another example of how bad that 14 year ego dispute has weakened us. A couple of years ago a guy like Walker would have no problem making the switch. Makes you wonder with the lack of sponsorship had much of their own money these teams have had to spend. I'm hoping he keeps his team open in the Atlantics and we can see his cars back on the track in 2009.

bblocker68
10th March 2008, 15:25
Regardless of who did what when and where, this is terrible news for DW. The team was always approachable, proffesional, and will be a great loss to the IRL just when they thought they were getting some good new teams.

I'd like to wish all at Walker racing the very best for the future and lets hope some funding comes along for them all to remain employed.

Agreed.

Bumps in the road will happen. I didn't expect this transition to be all wine and roses. I still know this is the best thing to ensure Open Wheel's future. It is kind of a bummer that some of my favorite teams/drivers wont be making the trip.

CCFan
10th March 2008, 16:17

I don't know that KK is responsible for what Gore owes Walker, but I thought I read where KK/Forsythe also owe Walker from CC operations in 2007.

Sure seems to be a lot of welching going on.

SoCalPVguy
10th March 2008, 16:25
I like and respect Mr. Walker but the real reason he will not be able to continue in ICS is NOT the "merger" it is beacuse he was in business with a loise who didn't pay up what he owed (Gore)

dataman1
10th March 2008, 16:28
Mr. & Mrs. Walker were classy people who never forgot the people who worked for them or the series. It was common to see them both with their sleeves rolled up and pitching in whenever it was needed. My wife and I traveled many times on the same flights to and from Indy. They are good people. This had to be tough for them to do.

The team members were also top notched. Some of the best.

Sad to see them out of the running.

CGormally
10th March 2008, 17:27
Walker was a well respected team. He always tried his best with the equipment that he had available and he never complained.

It will be a huge loss for the new unified IndyCar Series.

!!WALDO!!
10th March 2008, 18:34
Walker was a well respected team. He always tried his best with the equipment that he had available and he never complained.

It will be a huge loss for the new unified IndyCar Series.

Derrick Walker has always been having problems since the Willy T. Ribbs days when he was buying Buicks on his and his wife's credit cards. He got ahead as time went on and things started going bad when the split took place. He had to run both races to keep sponsors happy and as time went on without going to Indy sponsors money became 30% of what it was. The deal he had with Sarah Fisher put more money into is operation than his Sponsorship in CART.

I always liked Derrick but it appears that he needs a good marketing person and a good lawyer to regroup some of those monies owed to him so he can close up clean.

grungex
10th March 2008, 18:37
Isn't this the perfect example of the type of team that the ICS was created for? So much for affordable racing...

!!WALDO!!
10th March 2008, 18:43
Isn't this the perfect example of the type of team that the ICS was created for? So much for affordable racing...

If Gore had paid him then he wouldn't have gone into debt in 2007. Thus he could have answered the bell in 2008.

It would have been doubtful if he would have made the CCWS season based on this. Is he going to LB?

BenRoethig
10th March 2008, 18:48
I like and respect Mr. Walker but the real reason he will not be able to continue in ICS is NOT the "merger" it is beacuse he was in business with a loise who didn't pay up what he owed (Gore)

If things weren't desperate, do you think he'd be doing business with people like Gore?

SoCalPVguy
10th March 2008, 20:19
If things weren't desperate, do you think he'd be doing business with people like Gore?

Ben, I think that the split caused a lot of weakness on both sides of the catch fence. It was hard to get sponsors and look how many flaky sponsors came and went through both IRL and CCWS the past five years...

Now that there is one series, it is expected that a lot of the weak sisters, teams that were just holding on or were subsidized, will drop out. Law of the jungle , weak drop out and the remaining get stronger, it is a necessary first step to a stronger series. "Addition by subtraction" .

I like Mr.Walker and I'll bet he gets back in at a future date after all the shake out occurs. As for Mr. Gore (Craig, not Al) pay your debts you bum !!!

Chaparral66
10th March 2008, 21:25
Any chance at all he could come back in 2009 or 2010?

Marbles
10th March 2008, 21:41
I don't think there's a race fan that can say anything bad about Walker. I've been an admirer of his for quite some time. The almost near upset at the '92 Indy with Goodyear and listening to the radio chatter as he tried to calm and soothe an absolutely apoplectic Robbie Gordon throughout the '95 Cleveland Grand Prix provided some very vivid racing moments for me.

I thought he may have had a bit more solid operation than he had in years past regardless of the Aussie Vineyard B.S. I guess not.

A real shame but I wouldn't count him out entirely. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back sooner than later. An appearance at Indy for some unfinished business would be great!

just been watching
11th March 2008, 00:39
No way to dislike Walker, irrespective of the news. I worked for the guy and got fired, but I still like the man. There was a reason why so many of his employees worked for him for so long.

geek49203
11th March 2008, 01:43
No way to dislike Walker, irrespective of the news. I worked for the guy and got fired, but I still like the man. There was a reason why so many of his employees worked for him for so long.

Isn't that the fate of all who work in motorsports -- getting fired? Kinda like computer geeks and journalists?

I'm looking carefully at the press releases, and wondering how a very wealthy person like Craig Gore can end up owing Mr. Walker that much money? Didn't Gore also pull out of Aussie Super V8? What's going on here?

BenRoethig
11th March 2008, 02:08
Any chance at all he could come back in 2009 or 2010?

I hope so.

CCWS77
11th March 2008, 02:27
Now that there is one series, it is expected that a lot of the weak sisters, teams that were just holding on or were subsidized, will drop out. Law of the jungle , weak drop out and the remaining get stronger, it is a necessary first step to a stronger series. "Addition by subtraction" .
!!!

That is some funny BS. :beer:

Cart750hp
11th March 2008, 02:34
Walker not racing in the IRL is unfortuante for the drivers and team. Unfortuantely, the ill-timed decision for the Amigos to capitulate to the IRL has had catastrophic results for the Champ Car teams.

I disagree. Think for a second that you own CC: 1) It would've cost you and other teams more money just to keep the series afloat 2) With the mess in teams like Walker/Gore, imagine that this split happens in CC. What would you do as an owner to keep Walker from shutting down? More $$$$$$$$ from your own pocket!!!

Surely, Team Australia would have struggled answering the Champ Car bell had the season started, but the last minute "merger"/buyout certainly did not help the matter.

Walker/Gore issue had nothing to do with the merger. GF/KK finally gave up on financial spendings for the series so they had to do it. While DW/CG agreed to split up due to financial issues of their own or "was" their own.

Further, how is the bankrupt Champ Car even going to fill a field for Long Beach? I was angry with Forsythe not going to the IRL. Now, I am glad he is not going, although I feel bad for my favorite driver PT. Likewise, I am glad that Walker is not going.

Money is hard to find nowadays. Everything is going up but salary or profit.

With Long Beach coming up, I believe TG is chipping in with this one.

This new series will take time to get things right. That's why I'm kinda like the idea of merger now or spend more for nothing. This year will probably suck and possibly even next year that's why I'm kinda enjoying NBA more and probably MLB and see bit by bit how the Indy races are doing.

weeflyonthewall
11th March 2008, 03:35
He wasn't likely to come back to Walker/TA anyway because he had no funding to keep the second seat once the Atlantic money ran dry. Has tested in LMS in Europe and will probably go there now.

The budget to run ICS is a lot more than people think. Atlantic's is the one place Derrick has fun without busting the piggy bank.

Pat Wiatrowski
11th March 2008, 15:12
The budget to run ICS is a lot more than people think. Atlantic's is the one place Derrick has fun without busting the piggy bank.

Walker is running 3 (THREE) cars at the LS tests, 2 with Nigs $ and 1 with ? $ so he has not closed up shop completely. I hear he will also run at LB is both classes, ie: CCA and CC.

garyshell
12th March 2008, 16:40
Don't count Walker out just yet!!!

I just saw this on Crashnet: http://www.crash.net/motorsport/indycar/news/160696-0/hope_for_walker.html

Despite having two IRL cars at its workshop, and having fettled one in readiness for the forthcoming tests being run specifically for Champ Car
converts, team boss Derrick Walker revealed at the weekend that he had been forced to pull the plug on his plans following the end of his business partnership with Australian Craig Gore.

“After the statement we made on Sunday regarding our IndyCar effort, we have had tremendous support and a number of inquiries that may produce some ability to compete in the IndyCar Series on some level, whether it be a full or half-season," the ex-pat Scot commented, "At least, it will give us the chance to compete at some capacity. We remain cautiously optimistic.”

mikiec
12th March 2008, 17:27
That's brilliant news! :D Hope they can get a deal done.

indycool
12th March 2008, 18:20
Beat me to it, Gary......when Walker needs money, he tells folks......sometimes he finds it that way.

garyshell
12th March 2008, 18:29
Beat me to it, Gary......when Walker needs money, he tells folks......sometimes he finds it that way.

No racing here. I am saving it up for the go cart track!!! <big ol' grin>

I am pulling for Walker. I sure hope that someone at Georgetown and 16th is as well. I am pretty sure there are some strings that they might tug on a bit to keep a guy like this in the series. At least a bootstrap, since it sounds like Gore sure screwed him.

Gary

pits4me
13th March 2008, 01:56
No racing here. I am saving it up for the go cart track!!! <big ol' grin>

I am pulling for Walker. I sure hope that someone at Georgetown and 16th is as well. I am pretty sure there are some strings that they might tug on a bit to keep a guy like this in the series. At least a bootstrap, since it sounds like Gore sure screwed him.

Gary

And a seat for PT. This could be an interesting combination if it proves out.

nigelred5
13th March 2008, 12:07
Being optomistic, maybe, just maybe some of this may already be evidence of fruit of a combined series. "People just don't know what Indy means" Maybe a few more know than we would care to admit ;)

MAX_THRUST
13th March 2008, 12:20
I hope he's in, like NHL and Dale Coyne, he was a CART team owner, and a merged series would be better with him in it. Whats Rahal doing this year with just one car? can't they become partners....this season has been the best so far and its not yet started.

gofastandwynn
13th March 2008, 15:54
Per Curt Cavin at the Indy Star:

We know, as we suspected the other day, that Derrick Walker isn't necessarily out of the game. He had to send out a press release saying he was severing ties with the Team Australia group because that sponsorship was headed to Kalkhoven's team with Will Power. But Walker is still in hot pursuit of a deal, and he hopes/plans to be in Homestead at the end of the month.

And this from the Walker Racing website:

Walker Racing will head back to Indianapolis and regroup on all fronts. "After the statement we made on Sunday regarding our IndyCar effort, we have had tremendous support and a number of inquiries that may produce some ability to compete in the IndyCar Series on some level whether it be a full or half season. At least it will give us the chance to compete at some capacity. We remain cautiously optimistic," continued Walker.

veeten
13th March 2008, 19:09
realistically, Walker, like Stoddart and others, are having a bit of a problem with funds to do a full season this year, and it's understandable that the combined grid will be a bit smaller after Long Beach/Motegi.

We'll just have to wait until after the mid-season for better news about where the teams stand for the '09 season.