PDA

View Full Version : IE 8

veeten
9th March 2008, 17:32
First betas have been released. Wouldn't recommend it to those looking to have it work in a side-by-side app with IE 7, it will become the primary browser.

A few improvements in security, and a few bugs as well. :s But then, it is a beta, so be forewarned. :)

Alfa Fan
9th March 2008, 17:55
*Counts down the seconds until a Daniel smart arse comment*

Mark
10th March 2008, 07:57
What's the main new features?

My comment: Tonnes of people are still using IE6 never mind IE8 :p

Azumanga Davo
10th March 2008, 09:03

Won't be long now...

Daniel
10th March 2008, 09:48

Well we've already had your dumbarse comment so perhaps an intelligent one (on top of Veeten's one of course) would be good :)

Will download it now. But tbh I fail to see the need as IE7 does everything I need it to do :)

Link in case anyone wants to try :)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/ie8/getitnow.mspx

Dave B
10th March 2008, 10:11
To be honest it's not worth bothering with - yet. It's still in the very first stages of Beta testing, more so that developers can play with building content for the new whizzy toys. In "IE7 emulation" mode it's fine, but that kinda defeats the object.

I'm sticking with IE7 / IE7Pro for the time being.

Daniel
10th March 2008, 10:24
Well it makes the forum look funny and Live Hotmail doesn't work either :D I like how it shows the host name for a site in black and greys the rest out and how when you type in a partial URL it displays your most popular ones at the top :) Other than that I really don't see the point. As people may know I do like Vista and I'll defend it but I'm really not all that bothered about browsers to be perfectly honest. It displays **** on the screen and that's about it for me. I don't care if I can install an extension to make it so the back button is slightly larger or I can block ads in pages. I'm really not all that bothered. I'd be happy enough if Microsoft could sue Adobe's arse into fixing flash for IE7. I'd pay money for that :)

veeten
10th March 2008, 11:09
as I said earlier, it's a beta. Use it at your own risk. :o

Best advice: Install on a unit that isn't used as a primary mode for important files. That way, you can examine and test the work in progress without the worry. :)

A couple of good ideas and improvements, some of which should rather be applied as upgrades to IE 7. The reason for all this is that Firefox 3 is further along in it's testing than IE 8, so Microsoft is playing catch-up.

Hopefully, this doesn't result in a new build that is buggy as all get out. :s

Valve Bounce
17th March 2008, 00:42
Good Grief!! I'm using IE8 and I didn't even know it :(
I recently reformatted my PC because of this bloody thing that hung my PC. Re-installed windows XP, upgraded it (for bloody hours0 of security and I don't know what.

Then I saw this thread and looked at the top of my browser and I find I have IE8.

I am having intremittent problems with Firefox - it seems to run hot and cold, fast sometimes and painfully slow to load up.

By the way, what is the website to check my internet speed?

Daniel
17th March 2008, 00:44
are you sure it's ie8? http://www.speedtest.com is a good site to check your speed.

cosmicpanda
17th March 2008, 01:37
Are you sure it's IE8 and not just the title of the thread being displayed?

It appears to me as "IE8 - RallyForum.com - Windows Internet Explorer". I have IE7.

Valve Bounce
17th March 2008, 03:12
Are you sure it's IE8 and not just the title of the thread being displayed?

It appears to me as "IE8 - RallyForum.com - Windows Internet Explorer". I have IE7.
It's IE7. I dont understand why IE8 {Motorsport Forum} appears at the top of the screen.

Valve Bounce
17th March 2008, 03:18
I am havining serious problems with my connection. Although I have broadband, the connection appears to be cutting out every few minutes and asks me if I want to connect. :(

veeten
17th March 2008, 11:21
It's IE7. I dont understand why IE8 {Motorsport Forum} appears at the top of the screen.

it's the title of the thread. :)

Valve Bounce
17th March 2008, 23:10
it's the title of the thread. :)

How quaint - especially for those who use Firefox.

14th August 2012, 05:17
are you sure it's ie8? www.speedtest.com (http://www.speedtest.com) is a good site to check your speed.

hi you can also check your internet speed at Scanmyspeed.com (http://www.scanmyspeed.com/) here they provide you good and standard results. It does not use Flash, Java or any external programs/add-ons to run these speed tests; it uses javascript, a component that always present on your browser to check your browsing speed.