PDA

View Full Version : Dallaras are slow.

anthonyvop
5th March 2008, 17:29
Have you seen the Sebring times?
And this is on the short course where HP isn't as much as an issue as grip.

Here are some interesting numbers after the IRL's 1st day of testing.

At one lap:
IRL Dallara: 53.561 sec
Champ Car Panoz: 49.806 sec(January 2008: Perera)

Difference = 3.755 sec (Dallara is 7.5% slower)

At 13 laps:
IRL Dallara = 696.293 sec
Champ Car Panoz = 647.478 sec

Difference = 48.815 sec

If a race between the two cars were held at this circuit (the 1.669 mi version said to be used by both), the Champ Car would lap the IRL car on the 14th lap.

Full Race:
If that race were a standard 200 miles long (typical for a road course) at this circuit, it would be a 120 lap race:

IRL Dallara = 107 min, 7.32 sec
Champ Car Panoz = 99min, 36.72 sec

The Champ Car would win by 7 mins, 30.6 sec.
It would finish 9 laps ahead of the IRL Dallara car.

And this is the Premier Open Wheel Series in North America?

seppefan
5th March 2008, 17:33
GP2 & A1GP will be pleased.

Hoop-98
5th March 2008, 17:47
So Anthony, you really think taking the first session of the Indy Car test, when only 1/2 the teams have been on the track and comparing it with the 6th session of the CC Test when all teams have been on the track is accurate? They did pick up .7 on the second session.

Ya know, they will be a couple seconds slower, about right for the HP diference on a 117 MPH track.

rh

5th March 2008, 18:00

The Champ Car would win by 7 mins, 30.6 sec.
It would finish 9 laps ahead of the IRL Dallara car.

You forgot to mention a vital piece of information.

The ChampCar hasn't got a race series to run in.

Which means it's relevant speed to the Dallara in the 'here and now' is as follows -

ChampCar Panoz - 0.000 sec.

Civic
5th March 2008, 18:01
You should compare the laptimes from Mid-Ohio.

garyshell
5th March 2008, 18:03
And this is on the short course where HP isn't as much as an issue as grip.

Here are some interesting numbers after the IRL's 1st day of testing.

At one lap:
Champ Car Panoz: 49.806 sec(January 2008: Perera)

Difference = 3.755 sec (Dallara is 7.5% slower)

So freakin' what? Does it matter which car is faster? Will they both EVER be competing side by side? Will anyone ever notice this difference in speed?

I'd love to see you perform this little experiment. Have one of the DP01's go out on the track and turn a few 49.806 or 54.562 laps (without you knowing which one) and then the following day have the same car on the same track turn the other time be it a 54.562 or 49.806 laps. Then you try to decide which lap was which. I am more than willing to bet that with a 24 hours gap between the two sets you would have no idea which is which.

I have been making this same argument for years with folks who contend that the cars HAVE to be faster and that slowing them down for any reason would be wrong. At these sorts of speeds, without the use of stop watches, it is impossible to discern these speed differences.

So who gives a flying f*** if the car is a bit slower? Will it change the wheel to wheel battle among the drivers? Or is that part of the racing not what you go to see. Do you go so you can watch the scoring tower to see what the fastest time of the day was? I could care less about the absolute time, I care much more about the DIFFERENCE in time from one driver to another. For me that is the ONLY measure that matters.

Gary

!!WALDO!!
5th March 2008, 18:08
No the issue here is the continued hatred for the IRL Formula. Ever think it is the 825 HP Cosworth compared to the 650 HP Honda? That is 21.21% less HP and since neither car would have any speed without an engine, the engine is the main factor not chassis.

So the Dallara being 7.5% slower with 21.21% less Horse Power actually makes them actually faster. So if a Dallara could be fitted with the Cosworth it would be 47.493. If the Elan/Panoz/DP01 could be fitted with a Honda then the be 1:09.214 so using real math, that is 31.67% faster.

If both use Cosworths the Dallara is 5.05% faster.
If both use Hondas the Dallara is 22.615% faster.

If both have no engine then the difference is 0.00%

So using your numbers plus my numbers and averaging it then the Dallara is 12.959% faster.

dataman1
5th March 2008, 18:16
You all have way too much time on your hands.

!!WALDO!!
5th March 2008, 18:18
You all have way too much time on your hands.

Actually took me 5 minutes. I timed it.

bblocker68
5th March 2008, 18:33
You forgot to mention a vital piece of information.

The ChampCar hasn't got a race series to run in.

Which means it's relevant speed to the Dallara in the 'here and now' is as follows -

ChampCar Panoz - 0.000 sec.

SEE!!!!! The Champcar is 53.561 seconds a lap faster!!! It kills the Crapwagon, WOOOOO!!!!!!

Sorry, coudn't resist. Thank God F1 is starting in less than 2 weeks. I think the news drought for the last couple of days is driving us all insane :P