PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for new teams

Nurburgring
4th March 2008, 23:23
If you ask me I'm getting sick of just seeing the same old finishing results for a race. Ferrari, McLaren and Renault in the top three.

I thinks its time we thought of teams that could stick it to these big three. Like what if Pagini or Lamboughini or even Bugatti entered a team. I mean there are not enough competetive teams in F1. We need more American and German teams who actually pose a threat to Ferrari, McLaren and Renault. I also selected Pagini because I think those cars are awesome.

But seriously am I the only one out there who wants to see newer competetive teams or is there anyone else who agrees with me?

woody2goody
4th March 2008, 23:26
But did you take into account Williams (GB), BMW (Germany), Red Bull (GB/Aut) who do pose a threat to those teams as it is.

I agree that maybe Porsche/Lambo/Aston should think about it, but Renault were only a top three team for three years if you discount the fact that by default they finished third last year.

The more teams the better. Why not bring back 30 car grids if there are enough competitive teams capable of a decent level of performance.

DazzlaF1
4th March 2008, 23:32
But did you take into account Williams (GB), BMW (Germany), Red Bull (GB/Aut) who do pose a threat to those teams as it is.

I agree that maybe Porsche/Lambo/Aston should think about it, but Renault were only a top three team for three years if you discount the fact that by default they finished third last year.

The more teams the better. Why not bring back 30 car grids if there are enough competitive teams capable of a decent level of performance.

Aye especially Williams who've looked good in winter testing, fancy them to nick a few podiums

Nurburgring
5th March 2008, 04:06
Aye especially Williams who've looked good in winter testing, fancy them to nick a few podiums

Well looking at last season there were only two competetive teams Ferrari and McLaren so I don't care how Williams looked in testing I won't believe that they have a chance of winning a WDC until I see it without a doubt.

The main things is that more competetive teams joinso that we can get rid of the weaker ones. What about Nissan? I mean if toyota can form a team i am sure that nissan could as well. Pescarolo Sport is another good idea for a team i mean they've had plenty of success in LeMans why don't they move into the F1 scene they make a huge impact if you ask me

Cozzie
5th March 2008, 04:39
It surprises me that VW have never entered F1, surely Audi, Bentley or Bugatti have something to gain from winning Grands Prix.

wmcot
5th March 2008, 06:33
It's the old cost vs. benefits argument for most manufacturers. If F1 could provide a good return on the massive amount of money required to operate a team, manufacturers would jump in with both feet. Having said that, look at Toyota and Honda - are they getting a return for their money?

SGWilko
5th March 2008, 09:28
It's the old cost vs. benefits argument for most manufacturers. If F1 could provide a good return on the massive amount of money required to operate a team, manufacturers would jump in with both feet. Having said that, look at Toyota and Honda - are they getting a return for their money?

Ding, ding, ding. Nail on head there.

If you want to end up with £20M in F1, your best bet is start off with £200M!!!!!

I imagine the VW's of this world have an CFO that actually has a brain.

Skoda would be a good entry, if the car breaks down they can just rely on a very long list of jokes!!! ;)

ioan
5th March 2008, 09:34
If you ask me I'm getting sick of just seeing the same old finishing results for a race. Ferrari, McLaren and Renault in the top three.

What do you have against BMW?! Cause they were the ones in the top 3 last season, not Renault!

ShiftingGears
5th March 2008, 10:53

I thinks its time we thought of teams that could stick it to these big three. Like what if Pagini or Lamboughini or even Bugatti entered a team. I mean there are not enough competetive teams in F1. We need more American and German teams who actually pose a threat to Ferrari, McLaren and Renault. I also selected Pagini because I think those cars are awesome.

But seriously am I the only one out there who wants to see newer competetive teams or is there anyone else who agrees with me?

Lamborghini supplied the engines to the Lola team about 20 years ago...the thing went like a tractor. Ha. The speed and quality of a manufacturers road cars is completely unrelated to how good they will be in F1.

More teams, however, would be very nice. It is a pity that the hope of a 24 car grid has been taken away from us for another few years.

wroom
5th March 2008, 11:37
The main things is that more competetive teams joinso that we can get rid of the weaker ones. What about Nissan? I mean if toyota can form a team i am sure that nissan could as well.

Since Nissan is in bed with Renault, this is highly unlikely as long as Renault is in F1. And the poor performance of both Honda and Toyota probably won't encourage other Japanese manufacturers to join the circus.

Who knows, maybe we'll see a Chinese manufacturer buy up an small team in the next 5 to 10 years. If they intend to sell their cars in the West, they need an image in addition to a small price-tag.

SGWilko
5th March 2008, 12:09
Lamborghini supplied the engines to the Lola team about 20 years ago...the thing went like a tractor.

In fainess, this was before the engine manufacturers realised that size and weight were key, as simply huge power would reap rewards. The lambo was a V12 and prone to blowing up, plus the lola chassis was at best woeful.

Yamaha managed to produce a decent V12 for one season, but where are they now?

With rules as they are now, they are almost anti new engine manufacturers - imagine the hoo ha from the existing manufacturers if a newly developed engine was eneterd.....

Nope, the powers that be have screwed their own sport beyond recognition IMO.

Rusty Spanner
5th March 2008, 12:38

I don't care if they are new or old teams, just as long as they are competetive. Unfortunately I suspect F1 is about to get less competetive when the rules all change at the end of the year. Rule changes always spread the field out. Stability rules create competition over the long haul.

F1 at the moment can't find 12 teams for 24 car let alone 30. The disadvantage of more teams is it spreads prize and TV money out thinner. With the way its distributed at the moment it will be the existing smaller teams that would be hurt most by the addition of more teams.

Pescarolo Sport is another good idea for a team i mean they've had plenty of success in LeMans why don't they move into the F1 scene they make a huge impact if you ask me

Yes they were very successful at Le Mans considering the resources they have. But they didn't have the money or resources to compete with the likes of Audi for overall victory. Why would F1 be any different?

Who knows, maybe we'll see a Chinese manufacturer buy up an small team in the next 5 to 10 years. If they intend to sell their cars in the West, they need an image in addition to a small price-tag.

I'd guess this is probably this most likely source of any new F1 team. But since China doesn't have (at the moment) a motorsport industry and all the supporting small companies and infrastructure that goes with it my guess would be the team and engineering would actually be elsewhere. And if you are going to do that you'd be better off starting from an existing team.

maxu05
5th March 2008, 13:48
I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the Korean manufacturers in F1 in the future. China would not be in it until way after that.

Tazio
5th March 2008, 14:06
Ding, ding, ding. Nail on head there.

If you want to end up with £20M in F1, your best bet is start off with £200M!!!!!

I imagine the VW's of this world have an CFO that actually has a brain.

Skoda would be a good entry, if the car breaks down they can just rely on a very long list of jokes!!! ;) Well put!
I think cooler heads of these corporations view entering F1
at this point in time as an exercise in masochism!

jens
5th March 2008, 17:43
BMW has a lot of potential, but they are clearly proving, how hard it is to become a title contender in F1. I would be excited to see new factory teams joining F1, who have a lot of potential (like Audi), but nothing suggests that it's gonna be easy for them. Like I recently said in one thread - only five teams have won more than one race in the last 20 years!

Someone mentioned Nissan. I'm afraid that they'll have a similar syndrome and methods as other Japanese works teams... :\

About Korean manufacturer... Well, not long ago there have been rumours that Hyundai might join, but haven't heard about them recently. And to be honest, I would be a bit sceptical about Hyundai's F1 breakthrough too. They struggled even in WRC, where at least Toyota was successful.

At the moment we have six so-called factory teams, which is a lot. Everyone wants to see more top teams, but reality proves that it's not gonna happen easily.

Nurburgring
6th March 2008, 04:05
Ok here is an idea why don't F1 do what championship series' like DTM, V8 Supercars and NASCAR do and have more teams that run on the same engine. I mean DTM run on Audi and Mercedes etc. and V8 Supercars run on Holden and Ford.

It would probably even the entire field out if instead of three or four good factory teams we had three or four teams each running on Ferrari, McLaren/Mercedes and BMW engines etc. This would result in 9 to 12 competetive private teams instead of 4 competetive factory teams. If anyone has a reason as to why this shouldn't happen I'd like to know and don't use money as an excuse.

maxu05
6th March 2008, 05:40
I think it would be difficult to get this started as, Ferrari and Mac for starters, would be reluctant to give up their monopoly. BMW, Williams may win the odd race here or there, but to dominate like the Red or Silver teams would be difficult in the near future at least. I like your idea in theory, it would be great, but on the other hand, it would stop other engine manufacturers from participating. I don't like single tyre series, or single engine series, as it limits involvement by manufacturers from getting involved in motorsport, therefore, limiting sponsorship. But, that is just my opinion.

Ranger
6th March 2008, 06:20
Like I recently said in one thread - only five teams have won more than one race in the last 20 years!
That's an interesting statistic! And funnily enough, Jordan is one of those teams. :\

Someone mentioned Nissan. I'm afraid that they'll have a similar syndrome and methods as other Japanese works teams... :\

Nissan is a subsidiary of Renault. Therefore Nissan won't enter and therefore that won't be a problem.

About Korean manufacturer... Well, not long ago there have been rumours that Hyundai might join, but haven't heard about them recently. And to be honest, I would be a bit sceptical about Hyundai's F1 breakthrough too. They struggled even in WRC, where at least Toyota was successful.
Toyota was successful with a truckload of money, which I don't think Hyundai spent... given that they ripped off a few of their sponsors.

At the moment we have six so-called factory teams, which is a lot. Everyone wants to see more top teams, but reality proves that it's not gonna happen easily.
Or you could just have a season like 1982... where 7 different teams won races. Although nowadays that chaos would have to be engineered, rather than being accidental!

leopard
6th March 2008, 06:58
Actually rather than running customer car of teams already in F1, STR, Force1, and Super Aguri can open the talk with new manufacturers to take participating in the competition. Redbull and Williams might be exempted as they have the same chance to use the same car or only a level behind factory team.

A fact to encourage other Asian manufacturers other than currently exsisting is competition among midfield runners. In the event there are strong partner available interested in F1 in a row with disseminating market of the cars, possibility of manufacturers like Mitsubishi, Hyundai or Proton in F1 still open, irrespective of Proton share ownership in association with Lotus.
Petronas will deprive their support from sponsoring car from somewhere else. :)

ioan
6th March 2008, 10:31
Ok here is an idea why don't F1 do what championship series' like DTM, V8 Supercars and NASCAR do and have more teams that run on the same engine. I mean DTM run on Audi and Mercedes etc. and V8 Supercars run on Holden and Ford.

It would probably even the entire field out if instead of three or four good factory teams we had three or four teams each running on Ferrari, McLaren/Mercedes and BMW engines etc. This would result in 9 to 12 competetive private teams instead of 4 competetive factory teams. If anyone has a reason as to why this shouldn't happen I'd like to know and don't use money as an excuse.

The engine is not the most important factor in F1 these days, not with rpm restrictions and the engine freeze we have now.
Chassis and aerodynamics are the most important factors to decide how good a F1 contender is!

Plus we do not want another Indy, GP2 or DTM series.

Big Ben
6th March 2008, 10:58
Dacia

SGWilko
6th March 2008, 12:59
Plus we do not want another Indy, GP2 or DTM series.

Indeed not. How nice would it be to see a return to different configurations of engine in F1, screaming v12's (I wander just how high they could rev with todays technology), all round performing V10's and frugal v8's.

Trouble is, in order to be competetive, you'd need to spend gazillions and that just isn't on any more.......

jens
6th March 2008, 17:36
Or you could just have a season like 1982... where 7 different teams won races. Although nowadays that chaos would have to be engineered, rather than being accidental!

Yeah. I'm afraid that with current regulations such competition is not possible as in early 80's. Then we had 'looser' rules, which enabled different cars to shine on different circuits. Turbos shined on fast circuits and non-turbos on slow circuits. Also cars differed aerodynamically more.

At the moment with all those 'equalizing' rules (engines, electronics, tyres) car performances differ from circuit to circuit a lot less. Plus of course (un)reliability factor. Now a good car is good everywhere... and usually reliable - last year Räikkönen had two car failures and folks moaned that it was a lot. But once it was a sign of a very reliable car. ;) Yes, there are a few fluctuations in performances on different circuits or in quali/race performance, but these have become really small by now. Last year Ferrari had problems over one lap and therefore were a couple of tenths less competitive compared to McLaren in qualifying trim. Oh, compared to that how much I like that 1983 Long Beach example. McLaren was struggling to warm up the tyres over one lap, but performed fine over the full race distance - result: Q 22nd and 23rd, R - 1st and 2nd. :p :

McLaren and Ferrari were the two fastest cars on every circuit last year (maybe in Canada Ferrari was 3rd best). Literally the cars are now 'too perfect', which is a result of a long development process. Back in the 80's it was usual to see blistered tyres and bigger fluctuations in race pace, but now the cars are so stable that they have a very constant pace throughout the race. Also the handling and behaviour of modern F1 cars enable drivers to make very constant laptimes. Back then there were more small mistakes (I don't mean here spins or something like that, but a small mistake - for example wrong gear selection in manual gearbox, which costs a bit). As we are going to witness the first race of 2008 soon, then recall the first race of 1982 - the South African Grand Prix at fast Kyalami circuit. After the start the six turbo-powered cars just disappeared into the distance, but... later some of them blew up and by the end of the season two non-turbos were in front. If at Melbourne Ferrari, McLaren fly away from others, it would be probably an impossible thought that by the end of the year none of them would be World Champ... Times have changed so greatly.

In terms of laptimes at the moment the field is closer to each other than ever before (all the teams within 2-3 seconds), so that's a positive sign and a sign of competition getting tighter, but... as everything now is much closer to perfect, then the results vary a lot less. Decades ago if someone qualified on pole by an advantage of a full second that didn't automatically mean that he was going to dominate and win the race! Nor did it mean that he was going to be so quick in the next weekends. Then an advantage of a second couldn't mean domination. Now a team could dominate even with a 0,2-second advantage. What is a domination? It's not needed to lap the rest of the field to accomplish that. It's just needed to be fast enough that no-one can trouble the leader with any possible strategial variant and for that even a 10-second advantage over a race distance is enough. And if such advantage can be found every weekend, then it's a domination. Having written about the consistency from lap-to-lap and from race-to-race nowadays, one may well dominate the season with 0,2-second per lap advantage. Let's see, what will be Ferrari's advantage in Melbourne.

So in conclusion. To see a title battle between five teams like we witnessed in 1981-1983, then in modern regulations it would be probably needed that at least five teams and therefore ten cars would be within 0,1-0,2 seconds. In terms of laptimes it has never been even close to something like that, so hard to imagine? Back in golden days (as I call them :) ) one race title contender could have lapped his main rival, but it could have been the reverse in the next race...

cy bais
6th March 2008, 21:06
I'd like to see Hyundai (South Korea) enter F1. :)

Valve Bounce
6th March 2008, 22:10

We have at least two teams which are in desperate need of funds to just stay in F1. So who would be stupid enough to flush gazillions down the toilet to take their place?

And for your info., the only way any new team can beat the likes of Ferrari, McLaren or Renault is ...............

..............well actually there isn't!!

Madmonk
7th March 2008, 03:26
Jordan
Minardi
Prodrive
Carlin
ART

Nurburgring
7th March 2008, 03:58
And for your info., the only way any new team can beat the likes of Ferrari, McLaren or Renault is ...............

..............well actually there isn't!!

There is no way any new team can beat Ferrari and McLaren?
What if the new team had a faster car and a better driver than those two teams.

Geez doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out a way for a new team to beat Ferrari and McLaren. Get a faster car for God's sake.

ShiftingGears
7th March 2008, 05:36

Geez doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out a way for a new team to beat Ferrari and McLaren. Get a faster car for God's sake.

...Have you considered working for Honda?

wmcot
7th March 2008, 07:01

I think you're onto something there...wait, make that I think you're on something! ;)

ioan
7th March 2008, 09:36

No it "doesn't a rocket scientist to figure out a way for a new team to beat Ferrari and McLaren" it takes more than a dozen! :p :

SGWilko
7th March 2008, 09:55

Perfectly possible in theory, almost completely impossible in practice. How does a new (novice) team come out of nowhere, design, test model and build a new car from scratch, that is not only reliable but quick, within the same rules, then put together a new bunch of guys for pit stops, strategy etc and realistically expect to beat the cream of the crop?

Nikki Katz
7th March 2008, 10:17
I think that there are too many works teams as there are. With the grid currently as it is I'm a little concerned that some (in particular Honda and Toyota, perhaps even Renault) could pull out in a few years if they don't get the results (not everyone can win) and leave the grid rather empty. Also, won't the anti-chassis-sharing rules coming in make Toro Rosso and Super Aguri illegal?
I don't like the chassis sharing idea and am sort-of glad that that didn't work for the sake of Williams and Spyker, but something needs to be done. F1 does need to keep its identity as a series where everyone makes their own chassis. Perhaps some base, crap chassis which the little teams could amend would be a better solution. Not like gifting a McLaren to Prodrive. I don't particularly want to go back down to 20 cars, and certainly not lower.

I still think it's really cheeky that the FIA kept Prodrive's considerable deposit for not showing up as the only reason they didn't turn up is that the FIA promised chassis sharing which never materialised.

Valve Bounce
7th March 2008, 12:31
No it "doesn't a rocket scientist to figure out a way for a new team to beat Ferrari and McLaren" it takes more than a dozen! :p :

I don't think rocket power is within the current F1 regulations. :confused:

ioan
7th March 2008, 15:24
I don't think rocket power is within the current F1 regulations. :confused:

It was about rocket aerodynamics I was talking about! :p :

jens
7th March 2008, 16:01

BAR back in 1999 thought as simplistically and expected to win their first F1 race. ;)

Actually, I also think that the 'equalizing' regulations have benefitted more experienced teams (besides the Top2 also for example Williams), who are equally strong in every area what comes to constructing an F1 car. In the past a car with a powerful engine could shine on a fast circuit, now it's not the case any more. For example I think that the new rules have hindered BMW's progress to the top. I guess that with 2006 rules (free engine development + electronics) BMW could be a title contender already this year. I'm afraid that 2009 aero rules might be another obstruction for BMW. At the moment, as you can see, BMW has taken pretty much maximum out of the current aero regulations, but yet another trump card will be taken away from them for 2009. The basis of a car - chassis - becomes even more important in the future and it looks like this is the area, where it's the hardest for new teams to catch the "oldies".

I think in this thread we really should talk about two teams (McLaren and Ferrari). After the end of their special relationship with Michelin Renault is not the same team any more, although the key persons of the World Championship winning team are still there (like Symonds and Bell). Renault now has to prove that they can make it back to the top without "tyre advantage" and it's not gonna be easy. Maybe last year looked like it was one 'slip' for such a successful team (like 04 for McLaren or 05 for Ferrari), but two similar seasons in a row are more likely an indication that this is their real level now.

Tazio
8th March 2008, 10:02
Yeah. I'm afraid that with current regulations such competition is not possible as in early 80's. Then we had 'looser' rules, which enabled different cars to shine on different circuits. Turbos shined on fast circuits and non-turbos on slow circuits. Also cars differed aerodynamically more.

At the moment with all those 'equalizing' rules (engines, electronics, tyres) car performances differ from circuit to circuit a lot less. Plus of course (un)reliability factor. Now a good car is good everywhere... and usually reliable - last year Räikkönen had two car failures and folks moaned that it was a lot. But once it was a sign of a very reliable car. ;) Yes, there are a few fluctuations in performances on different circuits or in quali/race performance, but these have become really small by now. Last year Ferrari had problems over one lap and therefore were a couple of tenths less competitive compared to McLaren in qualifying trim. Oh, compared to that how much I like that 1983 Long Beach example. McLaren was struggling to warm up the tyres over one lap, but performed fine over the full race distance - result: Q 22nd and 23rd, R - 1st and 2nd. :p :

McLaren and Ferrari were the two fastest cars on every circuit last year (maybe in Canada Ferrari was 3rd best). Literally the cars are now 'too perfect', which is a result of a long development process. Back in the 80's it was usual to see blistered tyres and bigger fluctuations in race pace, but now the cars are so stable that they have a very constant pace throughout the race. Also the handling and behaviour of modern F1 cars enable drivers to make very constant laptimes. Back then there were more small mistakes (I don't mean here spins or something like that, but a small mistake - for example wrong gear selection in manual gearbox, which costs a bit). As we are going to witness the first race of 2008 soon, then recall the first race of 1982 - the South African Grand Prix at fast Kyalami circuit. After the start the six turbo-powered cars just disappeared into the distance, but... later some of them blew up and by the end of the season two non-turbos were in front. If at Melbourne Ferrari, McLaren fly away from others, it would be probably an impossible thought that by the end of the year none of them would be World Champ... Times have changed so greatly.

In terms of laptimes at the moment the field is closer to each other than ever before (all the teams within 2-3 seconds), so that's a positive sign and a sign of competition getting tighter, but... as everything now is much closer to perfect, then the results vary a lot less. Decades ago if someone qualified on pole by an advantage of a full second that didn't automatically mean that he was going to dominate and win the race! Nor did it mean that he was going to be so quick in the next weekends. Then an advantage of a second couldn't mean domination. Now a team could dominate even with a 0,2-second advantage. What is a domination? It's not needed to lap the rest of the field to accomplish that. It's just needed to be fast enough that no-one can trouble the leader with any possible strategial variant and for that even a 10-second advantage over a race distance is enough. And if such advantage can be found every weekend, then it's a domination. Having written about the consistency from lap-to-lap and from race-to-race nowadays, one may well dominate the season with 0,2-second per lap advantage. Let's see, what will be Ferrari's advantage in Melbourne.

So in conclusion. To see a title battle between five teams like we witnessed in 1981-1983, then in modern regulations it would be probably needed that at least five teams and therefore ten cars would be within 0,1-0,2 seconds. In terms of laptimes it has never been even close to something like that, so hard to imagine? Back in golden days (as I call them :) ) one race title contender could have lapped his main rival, but it could have been the reverse in thewinning margin of 4 minutes
next race...
Would it be fair to say that we will never see another winning margin of over 4 minutes,
that JYS pulled off in 1968 at the old Nordschleife? ;)

ShiftingGears
8th March 2008, 10:48
Would it be fair to say that we will never see another winning margin of over 4 minutes,
that JYS pulled off in 1968 at the old Nordschleife? ;)

Jim Clark and Stirling Moss pulled off victories of 5 minutes! (8 and 7 miles respectively!!)

And yes, with modern regulations and circuits that is a fair assertion!

SGWilko
8th March 2008, 21:14
After the end of their special relationship with Michelin Renault is not the same team any more.

That's an interesting point. If, IF Michelin were the sole supplier as opposed to Bridgestone, do you think Renault would have run away with the 2007 championships?

Also, would Ferrari find themselves in similar circumstances (obviously, to a lesser extent such is their expertise) as Renault are now?

Perhaps, the FIA, in hindsight, should have sidled with Bernies buddies at Pirelli for the sole supplier, that way no one, bar BCE's pockets, had an advantage......

What say?

jens
8th March 2008, 21:40
That's an interesting point. If, IF Michelin were the sole supplier as opposed to Bridgestone, do you think Renault would have run away with the 2007 championships?

Hard to say of course, but I think they could have been clearly more competitive with Michelins in '07. When in the first races it turned out that Renault was not as good as expected, then the main reason that was brought out immediately, were the tyres. A year ago the tyre-problem was not highlighted that much as Alonso had left and many thought Renault was weaker just because they had lost their leader. But now this year another reasoning has to be found.

Also, Renault already somewhere in late Spring in 2007 said that they knew, what the problems were and started preparing for 2008. And also after they got Alonso, most people thought it was almost certain that Renault would be more competitive in 2008. Of course, there hasn't been a single race so far this year and final conclusions can't be made, but nothing in testing suggests that anything has changed in the Renault camp. That makes suspicious if such formerly victorious team is unable to find the way back to winning.

Of course, in hindsight it's quite interesting to think that Michelin favoured Renault. It's interesting that time changes views and assessments of past events. When we had tyre wars, then rarely anybody thought that Renault had an advantage over other M-teams. Then it was thought that only Bridgestone favoured "their team" (Ferrari) and that's why all the other top teams switched to Michelins.

I also think that a third tyre manufacturer should have been the choice by FIA, but didn't happen so.

ioan
9th March 2008, 13:51
For many seasons (since Renault took over the Benetton team) Renault developed their suspensions in direct collaboration with Michelin.
However it was always Ferrari who were always blamed for their closer (although not even remotely as close as Renault's) relationship with their tire supplier.