PDA

View Full Version : Future young guns

Fly
4th March 2008, 08:38
3 years after AFF created a theard about this subject, I was wondering if any of you had new names to follow in your country.
I don't think we have any future champion in Belgium except one wasted talent you all know.
I also found it funny to read the early 2005 posts about future stars... http://archive.motorsportforums.com/vb2/showthread.php?threadid=103580&highlight=future+young

dumb
4th March 2008, 09:23
Young guns?I think in Lithuania there are two for now.
Vilius Rožukas(23 y.o.).He is running in JWRC.
Dominykas Butvilas (18 y.o.).He is not very fast for now but he is running with Impreza.He will be fast in future.His best result is 4th place in Lithuania championship rally.

GigiGalliNo1
4th March 2008, 11:47
gigi galli :p

Sulland
4th March 2008, 14:05
Both Mads Østberg and Andreas Mikkelsen was mentioned - and they both look to be the next big guns from Norway.

Eivind Brynildsen are doing PWRC this year, is also very talented.

There are also a few others, that have a big talent, but not the money needed behind them (Tragic when talent is not enough !)

Andresen - 307 WRC
Bieltvedt - Subaru N4
Kjær - Subaru N4
Svenkerud - N3 Clio
Økseter - N3 Fiesta Flexifuel

The best driver in N4 is Martin Stenshorne, and he has been that for a few years, but not sure if he is thinking of an international career - he should !

So talent is not the problem, the problem is getting them €'s enough to get abroad !

Are the paying drivers in WRC destroying opportunities for raw talent ?

PS
Funny to read the old thread !!!

Karbonyl
4th March 2008, 15:08
In the Czech republic is very talented driver Jan Sykora. He drove A5 Skoda Felicia for two and a half seasons, last year he tried first rallies with Lancers Evo VII, VIII and IX. In 2008 he will get new Impreza STi 2008.

gravelman
4th March 2008, 16:49
Kris Meeke

pettersolberg29
4th March 2008, 17:05
Stefan Moore- don't know how old he is, but seemed good at Sunseeker.

White Sauron
4th March 2008, 17:15
Must be 17 years old Evgeniy Novikov from Russia, but I hope he will never compete on the highest level of rallying.

COD
4th March 2008, 17:26
Why is that White Sauron?

From Finland obviously Hänninen and maybe Ketomaa as wee (though he might be a bit old to make to absolute top)

Then Nikara from national level at least, maybe if Lindroos would get money he could be there as well.

sal
4th March 2008, 17:31
Could name quite a few from the UK but guess they will never get the backing to allow them to progress to the highest level such is the malaise surrounding the sport here at the moment.

feresc13
4th March 2008, 17:36
Andreas Mikkelsen

MJW
4th March 2008, 18:02
I rate Peter Zachrisson very highly, no money or sponsor though.

Elgin Man
4th March 2008, 18:17
Darren Gass from Ireland :)

feresc13
4th March 2008, 19:10
Ups! I forgot Loeb reloaded, also known as Sébastien Ogier

Tomi
4th March 2008, 20:46
maybe if Lindroos would get money he could be there as well.
i suggested him in a samekind of tread about 4 years back, from here it's very difficult to give sure names, the competition is so bloody tough and it comes new potential guys every year.

jonas_mcrae
4th March 2008, 21:30
in Mexico only Benito Guerra Jr.(22) hes been Mexican champion twice and now is planning to do some rounds Spanish gravel championship plus some rallies in central america
maybe some of u have seen the pics, but he drives N4 evo

VFTS
4th March 2008, 22:24
Both Mads Østberg and Andreas Mikkelsen was mentioned - and they both look to be the next big guns from Norway.

Eivind Brynildsen are doing PWRC this year, is also very talented.

There are also a few others, that have a big talent, but not the money needed behind them (Tragic when talent is not enough !)

Andresen - 307 WRC
Bieltvedt - Subaru N4
Kjær - Subaru N4
Svenkerud - N3 Clio
Økseter - N3 Fiesta Flexifuel

The best driver in N4 is Martin Stenshorne, and he has been that for a few years, but not sure if he is thinking of an international career - he should !

So talent is not the problem, the problem is getting them €'s enough to get abroad !

Are the paying drivers in WRC destroying opportunities for raw talent ?

PS
Funny to read the old thread !!!

Økseter is very fast and good driver, but he is 41 years old and not a young talent anymore.

pettersolberg29
4th March 2008, 22:29
Is Grondal young - he's going well in the NRC.

A.F.F.
4th March 2008, 22:37
How about Matti Rantanen, what do you guys think of him ?

Finni
4th March 2008, 22:39
My list about guys who could possibly do "Latvalas" instantly if they had right wrc-car:

a) Hänninen
b) Alen
c) Meeke
d) Ketomaa (wild card)

Guys who are probably little behind at the moment but who might have same potential:

a) Östberg
b) Mikkelsen
c) Jarkko Nikara (very promising young finn)
d) Novikov

Finni
4th March 2008, 22:41

Not as talented as Nikara.

pino
4th March 2008, 22:54
Rossetti
Scandola
Broccoli
A.Alen :D

My list about guys who could possibly do "Latvalas" instantly if they had right wrc-car:

b) Alen

He's from Italy :p :

Helstar
5th March 2008, 04:40
Rossetti
Scandola
Broccoli

Add Campedelli .... !

Grant_RSA
5th March 2008, 05:39
In South Africa we have 2.

Hergen Fekken Polo s2000
Mark Cronje Toyota S2000 (Former rotax max world karting champion)

Tomi
5th March 2008, 06:29

He's from Italy :p :

Lol, molto bene, :)

pino
5th March 2008, 06:39
Add Campedelli .... !

Indeed :up: how could I forget him :crazy: must have been that good wine :p :

Xsara Fan
5th March 2008, 08:21
Why is that White Sauron?

Cause 'White Sauron' is 6 years old child...

Viking
5th March 2008, 08:37
Is Grondal young - he's going well in the NRC.

Anders Grøndal had his 24th birthday yesterday (happy birthday Anders) I rate him highly but he has somewhat been overshadowed by (big budget boys) Mikkelsen and Østberg.
He will probably rule Norwegian championship when those two don’t bother do NRC no more (this may happen already next round regarding championship leader Mikkelsen).

Viking
5th March 2008, 09:08
Question to the Finns here, Timo Jouhki said in an interview after rally Sweden that Latvala was his last (and most expensive) project. Will someone take over his role in Finland?

Tomi
5th March 2008, 13:17
Question to the Finns here, Timo Jouhki said in an interview after rally Sweden that Latvala was his last (and most expensive) project. Will someone take over his role in Finland?

I dont think that in same scale, but I belive there will be other managers that now get more space after Timo stops, rally is still fortunatly about driving so if a guy can drive good enough he will find a seat for sure, but Jouhkis boys sure has been a breed f their own, everyone has won a WRC rally except Gardemeister + Juha and Tommi the absolute elite of rally sport alltime, only Carlos and Loeb can show a simular CV.

Doon
5th March 2008, 13:22
David Bogie! Definately got the talent, hope he has the cash to match....

Sulland
5th March 2008, 15:56
I dont think that in same scale, but I belive there will be other managers that now get more space after Timo stops, rally is still fortunatly about driving so if a guy can drive good enough he will find a seat for sure, but Jouhkis boys sure has been a breed f their own, everyone has won a WRC rally except Gardemeister + Juha and Tommi the absolute elite of rally sport alltime, only Carlos and Loeb can show a simular CV.

Makinen or Gronholm to take over as the Finnish Rally "godfather" maybe ?

Tomi
5th March 2008, 16:00
Makinen or Gronholm to take over as the Finnish Rally "godfather" maybe ?

Mäkinens hands are full with subaru i guess, Grönholm for sure will help young drivers but there is others too.

A.F.F.
5th March 2008, 19:11
I hope that Sami will spot this thread and share his view of today.

cal
5th March 2008, 19:41
I rate Peter Zachrisson very highly, no money or sponsor though.

I agree, he is a fast driver - nice that you know who he is.

Regarding Swedes I think Andreas Sjölander is a big talent, though he has had a bit of bad luck this winter and not been on the pace in the Fiesta Cup I still think he is the fastest junior in Sweden right now. Patrik Sandell also has made a big step forward after winning almost every stage in Sweden with the S2000 car against all the N4s.

Who is this Sebastién Ogier? I've never heard of him before Mexico, and I'm impressed with his performance there.

From Norway, the country otherwise coated in money ;) , I think Sveinung Bieltvedt is a talent. Don't think he has a big budget though, so I guess we'll never see him in Mikkelsens car. Trond Svenkerud is another Norwegian I rank high after seeing his results, he even led in front of Henning when he drove a Fiesta in a Norwegian event this winter.

And, as always, I'd like to see Kris Meeke in a factory car one day.

Wim_Impreza
5th March 2008, 21:43

He is good, but not that good as Anton Alén, Juho Hänninen and Jarkko Nikara.

From Norway, I think Mikkelsen and Østberg will be future stars. Mikkelsen for sure, money seems not a problem with his father. Stenshorne is very fast in Group N cars and Eyvind Brynildsen is a young talent.

Sébastien Ogier had an excellent performance in his first WRC rally and is good on tarmac, on gravel and not bad on snow/ice.

From Italy, Simone Campedelli and Alessandro Bettega are also talented. If they can get enough sponsors in the future, they will stars as well.

Guy Wilks and Kris Meeke are good, but they have money problems... Matthew Wilson is not so bad as last year it seems. Maybe he can take regular points this year, we will see.

The biggest talented young boy from Sweden is Patrik Flodin, I think. Andersson has a lot of potential, too.

I hope Jan Kopecký can show again his speed this year.

From Estonia, Egon Kaur is only 20 years and has done good until now in the Estonian championship.

A.F.F.
6th March 2008, 00:11
The biggest talented young boy from Sweden is Patrik Flodin, I think. Andersson has a lot of potential, too.

And Sandell.

N.O.T
6th March 2008, 01:03
The main problem with the swedish talents is that they always fell short when good oportunities arise....Carlson is a very good example...he literally tore the competiton apart in JWRC in an era were JWRC was very very strong and when he jumped in a wrc car he just wasn't there anymore....

Viking
6th March 2008, 07:48
Mäkinens hands are full with subaru i guess, Grönholm for sure will help young drivers but there is others too.

Grönholm said somewhere that he was happy being a mentor, helping young drivers with their driving and stuff, but he could not see himself as a manager. He was still “fed up” with sponsor hunting and such from back in his own early years.

Tomi
6th March 2008, 08:19
Grönholm said somewhere that he was happy being a mentor, helping young drivers with their driving and stuff, but he could not see himself as a manager. He was still “fed up” with sponsor hunting and such from back in his own early years.

much possible, but there is other things ex-driver with good connections can do too, there is many things people dont know about the finnish system to get drivers to the top, in many parts of those ex-champions are involved.

cal
6th March 2008, 13:23
There is many things people dont know about the finnish system to get drivers to the top, in many parts of those ex-champions are involved.

What kind of things? Share the secrets now Tomi... ;)

Tomi
6th March 2008, 13:43
What kind of things? Share the secrets now Tomi... ;)

There is no secrets, i mean drive coaching, introducing to right people, telling teams about the upcoming driver and other simular things.

OldF
6th March 2008, 14:22
How about Kalle Pinomäki.

Nowadays I think it’s not enough for the driver to be fast, he/she has also to be suitable. He/she has to be the right guy/girl for the job. What I mean, is that he/she can’t be a jerk with bad delivery because as I see it, the driver is also a member of the marketing team with all the promotions and taking part in the manufacturers, teams and sponsors customer relation happenings.

As Timo Jouhki said backing up a young driver need a commitment (and money) for several years.

cal
6th March 2008, 14:55
There is no secrets, i mean drive coaching, introducing to right people, telling teams about the upcoming driver and other simular things.

I know what you mean. Thought you might have known something the rest of us didn't. The Finnish ex-drivers seem good at dealing with the right connections and help talents in that way - they should teach their Swedish counterparts a thing or two.

Nowadays I think it’s not enough for the driver to be fast, he/she has also to be suitable. He/she has to be the right guy/girl for the job. What I mean, is that he/she can’t be a jerk with bad delivery because as I see it, the driver is also a member of the marketing team with all the promotions and taking part in the manufacturers, teams and sponsors customer relation happenings.I agree - you don't only have to drive better than the rest, you have to talk better too. Patrik Sandell is equally talented at this alongside his driving, he is a natural PR-man. Does Kalle Pinomäki still have Mad Croc as a sponsor? I noticed he had them last year, when he and Sandell drove for the same team - this year they're Sandell's new main partner.

DonJippo
6th March 2008, 16:16
I know what you mean. Thought you might have known something the rest of us didn't. The Finnish ex-drivers seem good at dealing with the right connections and help talents in that way - they should teach their Swedish counterparts a thing or two.

If the Swedish counterparts would not be so egocentric I'm sure there could be A Swede or two on top of the WRC.

cal
6th March 2008, 16:46
Yes.

julkki
6th March 2008, 18:07
Norway, definently Mads Østberg. Mikkelsen is of course a talent but in rally Sweden 2008 I think Østberg little outpaced Mikkelsen. But in Norwegian National Championship they've fighted quite even, if I'm right?

Finland, Juho Hänninen at top but think if Juha Salo would be five years younger :D He would be the MAN. Still, I don't think it's too late for Salo to try WRC. Alen's also very promising if one looks his career's lenght.

Sweden, Sandell definently. Is he driving full PWRC this year? I'm looking for his efforts in NORF if Finnish N-group top-names take part in it also.

UK, I don't really know who but I really hope from the bottom of my heart that there would come someone :D It would be a real stimulate for WRC if we could get a superb driver from UK back again to the top after Burns and Colin. R.I.P.

And Matthew Wilson isn't the driver.

France, Sébastien Ogier. Very impressive pace on Mexico but it's too early to say anything outstanding of him. Gotta wait for couple of more JWRC-events.

Finni
6th March 2008, 18:20
Patrick Sandell has been excellent in his home soil but I haven't find his overall speed that impressive. I also wouldn't yet hype Ogier too much because there is huge level gap at jwrc.

Flodin seemed good two years ago but he has took some backward steps and is miles away from Hänninen or Alen.

Tomi
6th March 2008, 18:57
Flodin seemed good two years ago but he has took some backward steps and is miles away from Hänninen or Alen.

yes, i expected more from him too, but now it looks that his development has stopped.

cal
7th March 2008, 01:19
Sweden, Sandell definently. Is he driving full PWRC this year? I'm looking for his efforts in NORF if Finnish N-group top-names take part in it also.

Yes, he's doing the full PWRC in Peugeot Sweden's 207 S2000 and he's also doing the full JRC in a Super 1600 Clio for Interspeed, a Serbian team. He did Mexico but had lots of trouble, though he posted a few fastest stage times. I rank him higher than Flodin, as I'm sure most of you do. I agree with Flodin having gone backwards in his development, he's had his share of bad luck but all in all I don't think he has the speed right now.

I'm looking forward to seeing Alén progress though.

pino
7th March 2008, 07:33

And none can do that better than the Finns, that's why you have so many drivers competing in Rallying ;)

Tomi
7th March 2008, 08:01
And none can do that better than the Finns, that's why you have so many drivers competing in Rallying ;)

But it's good to remember that the most important is a higly competitive national series on all levels, because witout skill there is really nothing to tell the teambosses about.

P.S. I remember a funny discussion with a Italian and an Aussie guy a few years back, on the way to Jyväskylä, their point was that Finnish rally is on the way down, if you look at signed workdrivers since then it does not look like that :)

pino
7th March 2008, 11:39
But it's good to remember that the most important is a higly competitive national series on all levels, because witout skill there is really nothing to tell the teambosses about.

Italian national series are second to none, unfortunately we don't have people like Timo Jouhki, you Finns should build a statue in his honor and put it in the center of Jyvaskyla :p : Still when Timo discover a talent he needs an italian Team ( Motoring at the moment ) to turn him into a title contender. Don't forget that both Hirvonen, Latvala (and now Ketomaa) almost started their career in Italy ;)

P.S. I remember a funny discussion with a Italian and an Aussie guy a few years back, on the way to Jyväskylä, their point was that Finnish rally is on the way down, if you look at signed workdrivers since then it does not look like that :)

If that italian happened to be myself, must have been because of those beers we had in the car :p :

Tomi
7th March 2008, 11:55
Italian national series are second to none, unfortunately we don't have people like Timo Jouhki, you Finns should build a statue in his honor and put it in the center of Jyvaskyla :p : Still when Timo discover a talent he needs an italian Team ( Motoring at the moment ) to turn him into a title contender. Don't forget that both Hirvonen, Latvala (and now Ketomaa) almost started their career in Italy ;)

If that italian happened to be myself, must have been because of those beers we had in the car :p :

We build every winter, but it melts when the summer comes. It's true they start their international carreer in Italy, and for that is a good reason too, the Italian motorpress is very good promotor for unknown drivers, and the series are easy enough to make good results.
Offcourse it was the beers, sorry I forgot :)

A.F.F.
7th March 2008, 15:10
Italian Motoring makes good money giving rides to finnish talents so it's not all too altruistic ;)

Daniel
7th March 2008, 16:10
Did I say that? :) Well you have to say that back in 2005 it wasn't looking as good as it does now. Before the used to be a seemingly unending supply of rally winning Finns and it seemed we only had one back then and who knows how much longer he was going to drive for. Perhaps it was all that beer I had :uhoh:

Tomi
7th March 2008, 16:45
Did I say that? :) Well you have to say that back in 2005 it wasn't looking as good as it does now. Before the used to be a seemingly unending supply of rally winning Finns and it seemed we only had one back then and who knows how much longer he was going to drive for. Perhaps it was all that beer I had :uhoh:

Yes propably the rootbeer :)

Daniel
7th March 2008, 17:04
Yes propably the rootbeer :)

Yeah that's the stuff :up: :beer:

Mitch555
9th March 2008, 11:21
Australia is currently a fantastic breeding ground for young talent but at the moment, due to the demise of factory teams from the ARC, its very hard for young drivers to get anywhere that is financially viable.

Brendan Reeves (19) - first full season of gravel in 2007, did one tarmac rally and impressed by coming second on debut. Second privateer in ARC 2007 and I think fourth overall.

Glen Raymond - He is very fast, up and coming driver who unfortunately had a lot of issues with his car. He was unbelievably fast in 2006 with a very old Subaru Legacy RS, upgraded to a 1995 Impreza but had reliability issues but showed glimpses of brilliance. Now has a Toyota Corolla Sportivo NP so we should see him feature in the 2008 results.

Steve Glenney - Might be late 20s now but he is talented, very fast on both tarmac and gravel, always considered a dangerman at any rally. In the latest tarmac rally in Australia, Rally Tasmania, he beat tarmac "master" Jim Richards (Porsche 997 GT2) in an Evo 9 by over a minute over 3 days. Not bad considering the power difference!

Eli Evans - much the same as Glenney but has a year in the APRC (2006) and sometimes crashes but also very fast!

Paul Batten
Molly Taylor

In NZ there is a bloke called Haydon Paddon who is very quick, as well as Emma Gilmour (Glenn MacNeall's girlfriend!)

OldF
9th March 2008, 13:11
Does Kalle Pinomäki still have Mad Croc as a sponsor? I noticed he had them last year, when he and Sandell drove for the same team - this year they're Sandell's new main partner.

Looking at their web site I think Mad Croc is still a sponsor. I was watching the third round of the Finnish championship today, but I didn’t notice any Mad Croc decal on his car.

http://www.setpromotion.com/www/index2.php?sivu=,,en_yritys

c4
9th March 2008, 17:26
Some Brits to look out for in the next few years when hopefully there will be a bit of a level playing field and more manufacturer seats available. Tom Cave 16 who is supported by the Junior Rallying initiative and doing the Lithuanian championship in a Fiesta this year. Adam Gould the Fiesta shoot out winner and Connor Flynn who is also doing events in Lithuania this year.

sindroms
10th March 2008, 07:59
Some Brits to look out for in the next few years when hopefully there will be a bit of a level playing field and more manufacturer seats available. Tom Cave 16 who is supported by the Junior Rallying initiative and doing the Lithuanian championship in a Fiesta this year. Adam Gould the Fiesta shoot out winner and Connor Flynn who is also doing events in Lithuania this year.

In fact Tom Cave is doing Latvian not a Lithuanian championship ;)
And the others british young guns is looking toward to Latvia too - http://www.crash.net/motorsport/rally_uk/news/158133-0/junior_rallying_scheme_to_be_launched_at_asi.html

c4
10th March 2008, 17:13
In fact Tom Cave is doing Latvian not a Lithuanian championship ;)
And the others british young guns is looking toward to Latvia too - http://www.crash.net/motorsport/rally_uk/news/158133-0/junior_rallying_scheme_to_be_launched_at_asi.html

You're right, should have said Cave's campaign was to commence on the Lukoil Winter Rally in Lithuania but the event was cancelled, then do the Latvian championship with Connor Flynn.

Lousada
10th March 2008, 21:32
From The Netherlands there is Kevin Abbring. He will compete (some?) rallies in the JWRC this year in a Renault Clio N3. He is only 19 years old. Last year he won the Mitsubishi Colt Cup in The Netherlands and before that he won the Ford RST cup twice. He gets a lot of backing from the junior program as sponsorship and for training. However, a rally driver from The Netherlands is just hard to imagine. It will be very tough for him to reach a high level.