PDA

View Full Version : Webber: Ferrari are on their own, then McLaren, then BMW, then the rest.

SkyTom
3rd March 2008, 14:21
What do you reckon, is Mark going to be correct? I don't think it is that clear-cut to be honest, BMW haven't impressed me yet in testing. McLaren were faster than ferrari at the barcelona tests...I wonder if Webber's view will be the case or not...

Tazio
3rd March 2008, 14:49
What do you reckon, is Mark going to be correct? I don't think it is that clear-cut to be honest, BMW haven't impressed me yet in testing. McLaren were faster than ferrari at the barcelona tests...I wonder if Webber's view will be the case or not...
Actually Ferrari gave a glimpse of there pace with a lap at 120.5 at Barcelona
I think that is about .6 faster than what McLaren revealed at that track.
Its been suggested that Ferrari are also faster over full race distance.
I question the validity of that claim, because it suggests that Ferrari is kinder to its tires,
usually a McLaren strong point! The speculation ends in less than two weeks.

SGWilko
3rd March 2008, 14:54

The only real piece of info I have gleaned that more than one pundit seems to agree on is that both Ferrari & McLaren will be the teams to beat. What is also possibly true is that, in qualifying trim the McLaren has the speed, but over a stint, the Ferrari has the edge. (again, better use of the tyres - the McLaren is still using them too much)

So, if McLaren can qualify 1 & 2, do the Ferrari's have enough of a margin to pass on track, or can they carry more fuel and do their passing in the pits - yawn?

Quite which team is next in the pecking is less clear cut. If you believe Jarno, then Toyota should be there, but I just can't see it.

BMW have showed flashes of form, but is the car consistent enough to be as good as they were last year? At the moment I think they are still chasing their tails in terms of car consistency. In all possibility they could be sandbagging, but I am not sure they will be as good as 2007.

Williams look good, and they have never been a team to run light chasing money in the tests, plus, with Nakajima, they technically have free motors this year, and their sponsor portfolio isn't exactly sparce. They could well be the surprise team this year - gawd I hope so.

Red Bull. Hmmmm, are their drivers really up to the task? Mark Webber is a bit like Johnny Herbert if you ask me - always on the brink of something special, but it never materialises. David, well, he's old faithfull, but he'll never set the world on fire.

Renault - No way, not even with Fernando's magical 6 tenths - maybe next year boys!!!

The rest - no idea.

Tazio
3rd March 2008, 15:33
The only real piece of info I have gleaned that more than one pundit seems to agree on is that both Ferrari & McLaren will be the teams to beat. What is also possibly true is that, in qualifying trim the McLaren has the speed, but over a stint, the Ferrari has the edge. (again, better use of the tyres - the McLaren is still using them too much)

So, if McLaren can qualify 1 & 2, do the Ferrari's have enough of a margin to pass on track, or can they carry more fuel and do their passing in the pits - yawn?

Quite which team is next in the pecking is less clear cut. If you believe Jarno, then Toyota should be there, but I just can't see it.

BMW have showed flashes of form, but is the car consistent enough to be as good as they were last year? At the moment I think they are still chasing their tails in terms of car consistency. In all possibility they could be sandbagging, but I am not sure they will be as good as 2007.

Williams look good, and they have never been a team to run light chasing money in the tests, plus, with Nakajima, they technically have free motors this year, and their sponsor portfolio isn't exactly sparce. They could well be the surprise team this year - gawd I hope so.

Red Bull. Hmmmm, are their drivers really up to the task? Mark Webber is a bit like Johnny Herbert if you ask me - always on the brink of something special, but it never materialises. David, well, he's old faithfull, but he'll never set the world on fire.

Renault - No way, not even with Fernando's magical 6 tenths - maybe next year boys!!!

The rest - no idea.Good assessment 'Wil!
As reflected in my picks, I'm banking on BMW having the goods. I also like their drivers. A lot of factors to consider! But I believe RK is the real goods
Here's a fantasy! What if it is a three-horse fight, and both Ferrari and BMW loose a pilot! That scenario could possibly pit Mike against Klein!
I'm a big Ferrari Honk, as everyone on this forum knows. But, I might find myself pulling for CK over LH, and Mike! Like I said, it's a fantasy!

Nurburgring
4th March 2008, 04:10

The only reason Red Bull doesn't get anywhere near the podium is because they've been plagued by mechanical problems. If they were able to get over that then they'd be pretty competetive. Michael Schumacher himself said that Webber was a great driver and has the potential to win a WDC so Red Bull needs to pull its act together if they are serious about getting Webber to the podium. David was pretty good back in his day but his time has past.

Its time an Australian won the World Driver's Championship again.
Webber for 2008 WDC

Tazio
4th March 2008, 04:40
Its time an Australian won the World Driver's Championship again.
Webber for 2008 WDC
Krakatoa is also due! :o

Nurburgring
4th March 2008, 04:46
Krakatoa is also due!
Absolutely Krakatoa is long over due for a WDC but I want Webber to win one first
Webber for 2008
Krakatoa for 2009
Flying Spaghetti Monster for 2010

Tazio
4th March 2008, 06:06
Absolutely Krakatoa is long over due for a WDC but I want Webber to win one first
Webber for 2008
Krakatoa for 2009
Flying Spaghetti Monster for 2010 :)

555-04Q2
4th March 2008, 12:03
While I think the Ferrari's are the top of the pile, I think the Macs wont be far behind. Should be another cracking season :)

wedge
4th March 2008, 13:33

The rest - no idea.

Can't help but agree with you there.

Pretty much similar to last year but I think the battle for best-of-the-rest will be a lot closer this.

This year's BMW isn't quite the finished article (in terms of third place constructor) and they're still struggling to understand the car but no doubt I think they'll be firm third place finish - Theissen and the drivers have said there's so much potential but difficult to drive on the limit.

Not too sure of Renault catching up with the BMWs - historically they've made smaller gains compared to their closest rivals over the course of a season.