PDA

View Full Version : Please say goodbye and pay last respects to a great racing fan... a great man.

Jag_Warrior
2nd March 2008, 04:06
In addition to other posters we've said goodbye to over the years (Fourrunner, Railbird, Speedbump and others), I got word last night that another long time racing fan and friend is now walking ahead of us on this journey. His screen name was Tall1. His real name was Bill Marsh. He was one of the people who welcomed me to the MSNBC racing forums and told me about 7th Gear. From there I found Motorsport Forum, and the other boards that have survived "The Great Split".

MSNBC was a unique place, with a unique group of people. It was truly a family board, where who you were mattered more than the series you followed. Bill Marsh was one of the fine people who made that place like a family. No disrespect meant to Motorsport Forum, but I doubt there will ever be another board like that. The MSNBC Racing forums are gone (as I knew them) and now Bill is gone.

I respectfully ask anyone here who knew Tall1 to think about the people you meet on these "chat forums", and remember that behind every screen name, and despite our quasi cartoon character personas, who you are should aways matter more than the series you follow.

Bill put up a valiant fight against cancer, and other health issues over the past few years. But he didn't lose any fights. In my opinion, he just decided it was time to walk ahead... to a more peaceful place.

You may pay your respects by signing the register at: www.HallerFuneralHome.com (http://www.HallerFuneralHome.com)

I'm sure that it would mean a lot to Bill's wife and family for his online friends and fellow racing fans to say one last goodbye.

Mark, if you could, please leave this up as a sticky for a few days. Bill's funeral is March 4th.

Griffon
2nd March 2008, 22:32
Bill will be missed by all of us who were on the old MSNBC board. I am lucky to have met him at a get together of the MSNBC F1 fans who attended the first F1 race at Indy. Godspeed, Bill.

indycool
2nd March 2008, 23:16
Wasn't on the boards at the time of the MSNBC forum, but excellent eulogy, Jag. RIP Bill.

Racebob
3rd March 2008, 23:28
Goodbye good friend and Godspeed. I have known Bill since the MSNBC days and I still hang with some of that crowd at another place. Bill's likes and dislikes when it came to racing mirrored mine. He was a true gentleman and a gentle person. I only wish that I had met his man in person, but that opportunity never arose. Now I am sorry that we didn't make arrangements to get together at maybe a place like Mid-Ohio for a race. Hey Bill...hoping that you are getting to drive one of them Vipers up there ! God Bless.

EagleEye
4th March 2008, 22:45
It has been a tough year.

Rudy Tamasz
6th March 2008, 14:10
RIP.

CGormally
9th March 2008, 21:44
RIP