PDA

View Full Version : PT hoping for Penske or Ganassi

JasonD
29th February 2008, 19:33
Linky Linky (http://tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story/?ID=230873&hubname=auto_racing)

Tracy's options limited in IRL

Paul Tracy

TSN.ca Staff
2/29/2008 11:35:58 AM
Paul Tracy has indicated a preference for joining either Penske Racing or Target Chip Ganassi in the IRL.

According to the Indianapolis Star, IRL founder Tony George wants to put the former Champ Car champion behind the wheel of one of his Vision Racing entries but the 39 year old is more interested in joining a championship-calibre team.

"He wants to drive for Penske or Ganassi, and he wants me to talk to them for him," George tells the newspaper.

Tracy learned he would be without a ride for 2008 when Forsythe Racing confirmed it would not be making the switch to the IRL due to a lack of sponsorship. The Canadian called his old friend Jimmy Vasser, who will campaign two cars as part of KV Racing this season. However, he wasn't too optimistic that an opening was there for him.

Andretti-Green Racing boss and former rival Michael Andretti looked to squash the rumors before they got started, saying there is no room on his four car team for the Canadian.

"Paul is great and all, but he doesn't have any experience in these cars and he's getting a little old," he tells SpeedTV.com. "We're looking at 19- and 20-year olds, and he's almost 40."

Andretti adds it would be a shame if Tracy were not part of a unified series, adding he should consider the Vision Racing option.

"That would be the best place for him to go," said Andretti.
"I hope somebody picks him up, because he's always good for a story. He's one of those guys you either love or hate, but he's going to get the series out there. He gets press."

George indicated that it might be possible to place Tracy with Ganassi, who is fielding cars for championship contenders Dan Wheldon and Scott Dixon. The two were also discussing plans to field a third car at Vision Racing for Indy Pro Series driver Alex Lloyd, who is under contract to Ganassi.

"Since Chip doesn't want to pay me to run Alex, maybe I'll just ask him to run Paul," the IRL boss tells the Star.

As for money, Tracy is said to be seeking a minimum $1-million in salary this year.

"(Oval racing) is pretty dangerous, and I'm not going to drive for hamburgers and hot dogs," said Tracy.

Is he worth $1 million a year? Damn right, with his personality alone.

!!WALDO!!
29th February 2008, 19:41
Linky Linky (http://tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story/?ID=230873&hubname=auto_racing)

Tracy's options limited in IRL

Paul Tracy

TSN.ca Staff
2/29/2008 11:35:58 AM
Paul Tracy has indicated a preference for joining either Penske Racing or Target Chip Ganassi in the IRL.

According to the Indianapolis Star, IRL founder Tony George wants to put the former Champ Car champion behind the wheel of one of his Vision Racing entries but the 39 year old is more interested in joining a championship-calibre team.

"He wants to drive for Penske or Ganassi, and he wants me to talk to them for him," George tells the newspaper.

Tracy learned he would be without a ride for 2008 when Forsythe Racing confirmed it would not be making the switch to the IRL due to a lack of sponsorship. The Canadian called his old friend Jimmy Vasser, who will campaign two cars as part of KV Racing this season. However, he wasn't too optimistic that an opening was there for him.

Andretti-Green Racing boss and former rival Michael Andretti looked to squash the rumors before they got started, saying there is no room on his four car team for the Canadian.

"Paul is great and all, but he doesn't have any experience in these cars and he's getting a little old," he tells SpeedTV.com. "We're looking at 19- and 20-year olds, and he's almost 40."

Andretti adds it would be a shame if Tracy were not part of a unified series, adding he should consider the Vision Racing option.

"That would be the best place for him to go," said Andretti.
"I hope somebody picks him up, because he's always good for a story. He's one of those guys you either love or hate, but he's going to get the series out there. He gets press."

George indicated that it might be possible to place Tracy with Ganassi, who is fielding cars for championship contenders Dan Wheldon and Scott Dixon. The two were also discussing plans to field a third car at Vision Racing for Indy Pro Series driver Alex Lloyd, who is under contract to Ganassi.

"Since Chip doesn't want to pay me to run Alex, maybe I'll just ask him to run Paul," the IRL boss tells the Star.

As for money, Tracy is said to be seeking a minimum $1-million in salary this year.

"(Oval racing) is pretty dangerous, and I'm not going to drive for hamburgers and hot dogs," said Tracy.

Is he worth $1 million a year? Damn right, with his personality alone.

Yup, Floyd will pay money since he is considered the "Cheapster" and RP has three drivers in NASCAR making money and Helio in the ICS with limited money coming in.

Wishful thinking but PT his hard on equipment and not willing to carry the car. A second Walker effort could be of value if he can bring sponsors to the car.

Rogelio
29th February 2008, 19:52
I can not see Penske or Ganassi giving PT a ride, although I wish it would happen. There is no mention of the Monster sponsorship, so that deal must be gone.

bravefish
29th February 2008, 20:07
Vision racing is not that bad a team, considering the current options that Tracy has. Tomas Scheckter was competitive in that car last year - especially at Indianapolis where he was having no problems running with the leaders... until he had another coming together with Hornish...

Its definitely a top 10 car, maybe more if Tracy has the goods to get it working - still has exactly the same engine, chassis and tyres as everybody else (yes I know it doesnt quite work like that but lets see what he's made of)

If, in fact the offer is on the table it might be worth a go before nothing is available - at 39 has he got the luxury of demanding top team seats? No - he hasnt. Quality driver no doubt, but there are better faster younger drivers out there already

PTCrash3
29th February 2008, 20:20
Its definitely a top 10 car, maybe more if Tracy has the goods to get it working - still has exactly the same engine, chassis and tyres as everybody else (yes I know it doesnt quite work like that but lets see what he's made of)

If, in fact the offer is on the table it might be worth a go before nothing is available - at 39 has he got the luxury of demanding top team seats? No - he hasnt. Quality driver no doubt, but there are better faster younger drivers out there already

Like who? Last year Forsythe put NOTHING in to the team, they were using setups they'd used on the old Lola's because they weren't allowed to test because of budget. PT :vader: is pelnty fast enough, especially in one of those Krapvagons.

db

bravefish
29th February 2008, 20:50
Like who? Last year Forsythe put NOTHING in to the team, they were using setups they'd used on the old Lola's because they weren't allowed to test because of budget. PT :vader: is pelnty fast enough, especially in one of those Krapvagons.

db

Like Wheldon, Dixon, Castroneves, Briscoe, Kanaan - who have the top rides already.

Just cant see Tracy muscling in on any of them and Andretti Green hasnt got room for him

If they decide to add another car then great, maybe he'll have a shot, but for now Vision might not be a bad option

bravefish
29th February 2008, 20:54
Maybe PT could somehow convince Kim Green to reform the COOL team - bring Dario back from the tin top series (and lets face it, he's getting a hiding over there).

There ya go - PT and Dario back in the green cars.

Sorted

JasonD
29th February 2008, 21:28
You mean KOOL right?

garyshell
29th February 2008, 21:31
You mean KOOL right?

Good luck with that. Given the current laws it will have to be redubbed "cool". :cool:

Gary

Osiris333
29th February 2008, 21:33
Like Wheldon, Dixon, Castroneves, Briscoe, Kanaan -

OMG that's the funniest thing I've heard this year! Wheldon is faster than Tracy? :vader: In what psychotropic parallel universe? The guy can barely stay ahead of Danica.

Opie and Kannan? They never did a thing in in CART except watch PT :vader: disappear into the distance...

And Briscoe... :p :

And as for Hello I canturnrightnevers.... please. He's so slow he couldn't even beat Hornish anymore.

Dude, lay off the Prozac.

Ruben Barrios
29th February 2008, 21:40
Last year PT proved he is barely faster than Montoya's grandmother...

garyshell
29th February 2008, 21:43

Or that the Fosythe team was clueless about the DP01 chassis.

Gary

Ruben Barrios
29th February 2008, 22:04
Or that the Fosythe team was clueless about the DP01 chassis.

Gary

Not if you consider that when Servia was driving the #3 car, he was outstanding...

bblocker68
29th February 2008, 22:12
What about NHL??? Did he burn bridges when he left to go back to Penske??

bravefish
29th February 2008, 23:22
OMG that's the funniest thing I've heard this year! Wheldon is faster than Tracy? :vader: In what psychotropic parallel universe? The guy can barely stay ahead of Danica.

Opie and Kannan? They never did a thing in in CART except watch PT :vader: disappear into the distance...

And Briscoe... :p :

And as for Hello I canturnrightnevers.... please. He's so slow he couldn't even beat Hornish anymore.

Dude, lay off the Prozac.

I'll maybe agree with one point you make and that Kanaan didnt do much in CART - but then again at the time Mo Nunns outfit wasnt as good as some.

Dont write Ryan Briscoe off to quickly - he will be there or thereabout come season end.

I would have loved to have seen Dixon vs Bourdais on road/street courses - PT is a poor 3rd if those guys are on the grid ...

Wheldon and Kanaan on their day are untouchable on ovals

But hey, we obviously have different opinions and thats cool. I just dont see PT as a top driver anymore.

To be quite honest I would think Danica would be a good match for PT on ovals too.

bblocker68
29th February 2008, 23:41
<<<<<To be quite honest I would think Danica would be a good match for PT on ovals too.>>>>

Danica does not have the ability to pass multiple cars on restarts like PT can. He could be 80 and still do that. Things like that are in your DNA.

bravefish
29th February 2008, 23:55
Thats relying on yellows too much for me - shes fast enough over the distance

Skid Marx
1st March 2008, 00:06
Thats relying on yellows too much for me - shes fast enough over the distance

And THAT'S relying on her weight advantage! If they'd really get rid of the weight advantage, like CART/CCWS and F1 did years ago, Danican't would be nowhere close.

JasonD
1st March 2008, 00:44
What about NHL??? Did he burn bridges when he left to go back to Penske??

PT was a loan to NH so it was fairly amicable.

PTCrash3
1st March 2008, 00:48

As previously stated, there was no budget, no testing, and no engineering support. Is there something you don't GET about that?

Did I SAY THAT LOUD ENOUGH for you to hear?

PTCrash3
1st March 2008, 00:50
<<<<<To be quite honest I would think Danica would be a good match for PT on ovals too.>>>>

Danica does not have the ability to pass multiple cars on restarts like PT can. He could be 80 and still do that. Things like that are in your DNA.

Danica will pee in her panties the first time PT :vader: comes up on her behind. That's assuming, of course, that Danica could ever get ahead of PT :vader: .

Then again I guess if he was lapping her...

!!WALDO!!
1st March 2008, 00:55
PT was a loan to NH so it was fairly amicable.

It is simple folks, without unlimited resources Paul is not going to drive for a front line team. Remember it is free Chassis and Engines and $1,250,000 over the season. How in gods name can any team pay Paul? Ganassi is going to put Lloyd into a car and Penske is already helping the son's effort with Scheckter in selected races.
Like CCWS fans, Paul is dreaming of something that will not happen. NHL has limited funding for the second car so how can a third car materialize?

His best effort is to take much less and bring dollars to the effort and take the second seat at Walker.

JasonD
1st March 2008, 01:03
His best effort is to take much less and bring dollars to the effort and take the second seat at Walker.

Sadly this might be the only place left, especially this late with only weeks to go before the first race.

ezhop7
1st March 2008, 03:52
I don't believe that Paul Tracy will answer the bell at Homestead. His best option is to work on a deal for Indy and afterwards. At 39 years old it is better to put together a competitive package with the right team and people. He did not leave Penske on good terms if anyone remembers!!! Maybe he can work with Walker Racing, Rahal or Panther Racing.

speeddurango
1st March 2008, 10:27
Not if you consider that when Servia was driving the #3 car, he was outstanding...

Wait a second, you are talking about team favorable boy theory here? Oh or did you not have any idea how bad a relationship PT has with his No. 3 car crew? I'm sorry but that was a patheric attempt.

And unlike some people out there, I'm actually optimistic about PT if he can find a good ride and a good group of mechanics, I mean, you just look at AJ Allmendinger's last CC season, he wasn't really anywhere at RuSport at the start of the year and very much apparently he had problems with his Rusport mechanics and then when he joined Forsythe, the chemistry was just right for him and he immediately started winning races.

nigelred5
1st March 2008, 17:05
I can not see Penske or Ganassi giving PT a ride, although I wish it would happen. There is no mention of the Monster sponsorship, so that deal must be gone.

The reports said That deal was there with Tracy last year was because Monster was entering the major Canadian markets last year. No major market Canadian races this year, no need for sponsoring a Candian driver in the IRL. They would be more likely to show up in the Nationwide series for Montreal if anywhere and they already have a relationship with Robby Gordon. I think Monster is sticking with bikes this year anyway.

It amazes me to see the amounts GF supposedly turned down from Monster last year. Wasn't PT's deal a personal sponsorship deal anyway?