PDA

View Full Version : Boy I bet the owner of champcar.com wishes he sold it now...

JasonD
29th February 2008, 17:50
I often found this one weird. Never knowing if this guy was just holding out for more money or if GF/KK werent even bothering to offer anything.

Anyways its worthless now, and has been useless for years, last update was June 21, 2003.

Civic
29th February 2008, 17:53
It's not completely useless. I like taking a trip down memory lane through the galleries on the site.

bblocker68
29th February 2008, 17:56
Hey, that's Niles site!! It's done purely from a fan's perspective from what I know.

JasonD
29th February 2008, 18:01
Hey, that's Niles site!! It's done purely from a fan's perspective from what I know.

So his fan status stopped in June 2003? :rolleyes:

I give the guy credit for having a site but seriously nothing has happend there for 4 years. Sell it, update it, give it away, do something with it.

BenRoethig
29th February 2008, 18:10

I give the guy credit for having a site but seriously nothing has happend there for 4 years. Sell it, update it, give it away, do something with it.

CART was unfortunately dead by that point. Champ car might have risen from its ashes, but it was a completely different kind of series.

bblocker68
29th February 2008, 22:22

He is here all the time, but has had the flu the last few days. Give him (nanders) time, he'll have an answer for you.

JasonD
1st March 2008, 00:47
He is here all the time, but has had the flu the last few days. Give him (nanders) time, he'll have an answer for you.

Didnt realize it was nanders, sorry didnt mean to dis so much.

Pat Wiatrowski
1st March 2008, 15:51
Maybe he will sell it to the new Champcar. Here's hoping.

jarrambide
1st March 2008, 16:11
The story is quite interesting, I don´t know if he wants to retell it yet one more time, but if he does you will understand why he didn´t sell it.

DBell
1st March 2008, 16:34
If nanders doesn't mind retelling the story, I would like to hear it.

nanders
1st March 2008, 20:18
I often found this one weird. Never knowing if this guy was just holding out for more money or if GF/KK werent even bothering to offer anything.

Anyways its worthless now, and has been useless for years, last update was June 21, 2003.

Here's the abridged version.

I received request from 2 different groups. CART then CCWS.

CART wanted me to give it to them but were willing to listen to proposals how I could get paid.

Before the 2003 season I was invited and attended a meeting in Indianapolis with top CART brass. Before going to the meeting I had determined that they were not interested in paying so at that time with along with 2 former partners who were then highly placed mangers of sprintpcs.com, we tried to take over the operation of cart.com and re-badge it as champcar.com. This way they could have use of the name and we could get paid. They didn't except the offer then. However, in the waining days of 2003 I did receive a somewhat desperate call from top brass wanting to know if we would take over. By then our situations had changed and where no longer willing. Also no one knew what was going to happen after that season.

When the CCWS came knocking, they had the attorney who had just won the bankruptcy claim for them call and try to scare the domain out of me. After that I was never real motivated to try to work out one of their $0 profit deals.There were other contacts from lower level people wanting the name. I did initiate one call to Paul Gentilozzi myself because I wanted to go around the employees to see if I was getting the straight dope. Paul was straight forward and that's was the last substantive contact I had.

Also please let it be known that even though I own champcar.com the content of that site was totally done by Peter Burke. Peter worked incredible hours with a great amount of passion to create the "pre-digital" photography content. The amount of money Peter spent creating this content is beyond what anyone else of that time was willing to spend. It is a scary amount money. Combine that with the fact that there are thousands of links to this content I'm comfortable with hosting it at champcar.com for my foreseeable life. I did have a deal going with Peter where if I did sell the domain he would receive a percentage.

It would be hard to call yourself complete as an AOWR fan and not have spent an hour or two strolling though http://champcar.com

Dr. Krogshöj
1st March 2008, 21:38
Peter's photos are indeed some the most impressive racing photos I've ever seen. What does he do know? Is he still involved in racing with some agency?

nanders
1st March 2008, 22:54
Peter's photos are indeed some the most impressive racing photos I've ever seen. What does he do know? Is he still involved in racing with some agency?

He reached CART burnout in 2001 now he could care less. His last email had just a ray of hope. He's into the Baja 1000. He hopes to do it on a dirt bike. And not get run over by Robbie Gordon.

bblocker68
2nd March 2008, 00:15
Is he still sim racing Niles, at MNRL/CARS?

nanders
2nd March 2008, 00:25
Is he still sim racing Niles, at MNRL/CARS?

He was considering making a comeback .. he actually did some practice races but felt like he'd like to wait until the bugs were worked out of it a little better. And you know how buggy the CCWS mod has been. After this season I might be able to get him to give us a try.

nanders
2nd March 2008, 00:34
BY the way, Peter has told me, he has many unprocessed rolls. Like a whole seasons worth. If you guys want to come up with some donations maybe he would finish the work.

Mark
2nd March 2008, 18:19
I did ask them if they wanted to join in with the forums... but no reply.

Crapwagons4Ever
2nd March 2008, 21:52
interesting story.. I quite enjoy champcar.com. it is like a time capsule of CART from back in the day.. Wonder if more or less the same thing will happen to AR1?

jarrambide
2nd March 2008, 22:06
interesting story.. I quite enjoy champcar.com. it is like a time capsule of CART from back in the day.. Wonder if more or less the same thing will happen to AR1?

Mark C. has pretty much every article in AR1´s archives, even if he covers the new series for many years to come you will always have the chance to read about the past.

Civic
3rd March 2008, 03:46
Besides champcar.com the other site I miss is indyphoto.com (no longer exists).

nanders
3rd March 2008, 14:36
Besides champcar.com the other site I miss is indyphoto.com (no longer exists).

I actually tried to run that content down. That fellow passed away and I'm afraid the content was lost.

garyshell
3rd March 2008, 16:38
I actually tried to run that content down. That fellow passed away and I'm afraid the content was lost.

There is a little, and I do mean a LITTLE, on the internet archive.

Gary