PDA

View Full Version : Scott Speed question

HoustonCartFan
28th February 2008, 23:23
"Red Bull Racing Team announces Scott Speed, driver of the No. 2 Red Bull Toyota in the ARCA RE/MAX Series"

Scott Speed...

Great American talent that needs to be put in IndyCar or product of Red Bull money?

BenRoethig
28th February 2008, 23:49
Up until a week ago he had no possibility for a future in open wheel racing. Depending on how things go, I wouldn't be surprised to see Red Bull Indy Car Program with Speed and Allmendinger in 2009.

Redracer
29th February 2008, 00:22
Makes too much sense

Chaparral66
29th February 2008, 01:13
Makes too much sense

Yeah, what were you thinking? You know we can't have any common sense around here... ;)

BenRoethig
29th February 2008, 01:18
Yeah, what were you thinking? You know we can't have any common sense around here... ;)

Hopefully all the stuff that doesn't make sense is behind us now.

DBell
29th February 2008, 01:57
That would be some fireworks. I've heard they don't get along going back to karting days. Maybe AJ and Scott come back to OW or maybe not. I'd be surprised to see Red Bull anytime soon. Maybe down the road if ratings go up and sponsorship value increases. Between 2 F1 teams and Nascar, I'm sure they are spending a lot of money. If your in those 2 series, why spend money on a series that has a long way to go to become respectable again?

BenRoethig
29th February 2008, 02:22
That would be some fireworks. I've heard they don't get along going back to karting days. Maybe AJ and Scott come back to OW or maybe not. I'd be surprised to see Red Bull anytime soon. Maybe down the road if ratings go up and sponsorship value increases. Between 2 F1 teams and Nascar, I'm sure they are spending a lot of money. If your in those 2 series, why spend money on a series that has a long way to go to become respectable again?

Indy. Its expensive, but much less expensive than the F1 or cup program, and Dietrich Mateschitz has some very deep pockets.

nigelred5
29th February 2008, 03:09
Mateschitz would sponsor submarine races if someone is watching that might buy RedBull. He's been in both series as a sponsor in the past and the US in a major market for RB. He's not making the field on any sort of a consistent basis in stock cars but he is essentially guaranteed a spot in the filed in Indycar racing. Now they just need to convince RB that people will actually be watching the IRL. Neither Speed or AJ are stock car drivers. I'm sure they could both get by their primadonna attitudes for a well paying ride in Indycars.

V12
29th February 2008, 12:05
Between 2 F1 teams and Nascar

And GP2, various F3 and other lower-rung series, DTM, Rallying, Paris-Dakar/whatever it is called next year etc. etc.

I think the money for an IndyCar assault would be a drop in the ocean for Mateschitz to be honest - whether he actually would want to though, whether he considers it value for money, is another matter altogether, but if he does, I would say it would be a formality, Red Bull are like the Marlboro of the 21st century, sponsor practically anything that moves...

HoustonCartFan
29th February 2008, 13:47
Up until a week ago he had no possibility for a future in open wheel racing. Depending on how things go, I wouldn't be surprised to see Red Bull Indy Car Program with Speed and Allmendinger in 2009.

I think that would be one heck of a team. Get all the newly laid off Forsythe people for the staff/mechanics/engineers and now your talking!

bblocker68
29th February 2008, 16:56
Speed and Allmendinger could be the new Andretti and Tracy if they came online with the same team. I dont know what you guys think of Scott Speed, but he was pretty easy to dislike when he was in F1.

HoustonCartFan
29th February 2008, 17:24
Speed and Allmendinger could be the new Andretti and Tracy if they came online with the same team. I dont know what you guys think of Scott Speed, but he was pretty easy to dislike when he was in F1.

Do you think he was truly unlikable or was it a "punk" image thing? (Straight billed baseball hat worn off center for example...)

BenRoethig
29th February 2008, 17:25

I honestly don't know much more than is printed in the papers. Anyway, he's lucky enough to have a near clean slate on this continent.

wheelsontires
29th February 2008, 17:59
interesting stuff.

DBell
29th February 2008, 18:12
I honestly don't know much more than is printed in the papers. Anyway, he's lucky enough to have a near clean slate on this continent.

I never know how much to believe in the gossip stuff. Probably some truth and some not. One thing that does strike me is that his former teammate Tonio Luizzi seems to like him. That's kind of rare it seems in F1.

HoustonCartFan
29th February 2008, 18:54
I never know how much to believe in the gossip stuff. Probably some truth and some not. One thing that does strike me is that his former teammate Tonio Luizzi seems to like him. That's kind of rare it seems in F1.

That is a very good point.

bblocker68
29th February 2008, 22:32
Do you think he was truly unlikable or was it a "punk" image thing? (Straight billed baseball hat worn off center for example...)

He's always rubbed me the wrong way since he started driving in GP2. I dont like sounding like a "hater", but he comes off as pretty arrogant sometimes.

Placid
1st March 2008, 03:49
He's always rubbed me the wrong way since he started driving in GP2. I dont like sounding like a "hater", but he comes off as pretty arrogant sometimes.

And that was the reason Tost kicked Speed out of his ride after Nurburgring last year. I will be surprised if Speed and AJ get a call from DM (The Red Bull King) and say: I am entering the IRL. But it will be up to him.

jimispeed
1st March 2008, 04:13
Well, one thing is for sure.

Now matter the situation, they both belong in open wheel!!

DBell
1st March 2008, 05:25
And that was the reason Tost kicked Speed out of his ride after Nurburgring last year. I will be surprised if Speed and AJ get a call from DM (The Red Bull King) and say: I am entering the IRL. But it will be up to him.

Whatever he said or his attitude at the Ring, Tost went way over the top when he punched and attacked Speed, on camera yet. Berger and Tost don't exactly have a lot of people giving them testimonials either. Luizzi doesn't have kind things to say about them or the STR situation. That's why I'm leery of believing everything the F1 press puts out about him. I agree he comes off badly sometimes, but I'd sure like to see what he could do in OW rather than Nascar.

I find it a little sad that both AJ and Scott went through the Red Bull driver search and one turned it down (AJ) and one took it and they both end up trying to make it in Nascar. Kind of speaks volumes about the state of OW. Losing older veterans like JPM and Dario is one thing, losing the young future talent may be crippling to future growth. It would be nice to see AJ and Scott going up against Marco and Graham.

jimispeed
1st March 2008, 05:50
It would be nice to see AJ and Scott going up against Marco and Graham.

Someone in Indycar should try to see that it happens!!

stmookeyj
1st March 2008, 13:38
Burned his bridges, so he can stay in the cabs.

nigelred5
1st March 2008, 16:54
Well, in all honesty, other than with the most diehard of the crappies, AJ really only burned them with GF, so apparenty that isn't so much of a problem anymore. Scott speeds problems were squarely with Berger and Tost 100%They wanted a driver that brought money last year because they were paying bills and Tost represents drivers. Speed stayed as long as he did solely because Didi said so. Both of them stirred the pot as briskly as they could to force a problem. It's not like Tonio was blindingly fast. He was simply the only Italian driver on an Italian team so he was an attraction and the Italian media would have called for Tost's head had he fired Tonio.

If AJ or SS had burned their bridges with Red Bull, Why are they both driving Redbull sponsored and/or OWNED rides in NASCAR and ARCA? Contracts don't don't meant THAT much. If anything it appears that GFand KK burned their bridges with RedBull. Obviously the two split a check from RedBull last year.
Remember, Redbull only owns just over 50% of STR now. Last year's deals were only a payoff for STR breaking the engine contract and ditching Cosworth's engines ahead of schedule.

We need to start with proving this consolidation will re-ignite fan and media interest and then maybe this would be a real posibility.

stmookeyj
2nd March 2008, 09:17
They never burned their bridges with RB, they burned their bridges with OW...

2nd March 2008, 09:57
Burned his bridges, so he can stay in the cabs.

Allmendinger 'burned his bridges' with a bloke who is no longer involved in running a series, is not involved in the IRL and has stopped running his team, didn't he?

No reason, then, not to be considered in the IndyCar series.

Rantanamo
2nd March 2008, 10:25
LOL @ some of these comments. The only true comment is that none of you really know what's going on. Burn bridges? This is business and money. If there's money to be made by someone, there's a bridge.

Jag_Warrior
2nd March 2008, 21:52
Hopefully all the stuff that doesn't make sense is behind us now.

I'm betting not. I bought a giant family pack of that butter flavored Orville Redenbacher... because I expect that the entertainment off the track will still be better than what's on the track.

While you guys are watching the timesheets, I believe I'll go back to tracking Nielsens and Joyce Julius data.

This marriage does not add to sponsor exposure value = lack of sponsors = lack of independently funded teams = lack of (paid) drivers. Other than as a fan sitting in the stands, I'm not expecting Scott Speed or Red Bull anytime soon. YMMV.

Popcorn!!! :D