PDA

View Full Version : Forsthye Out?

DBell
28th February 2008, 18:32
Saw this posted at CCF by someone who's supposed to be a member of the press.

Statement from Neil Micklewright, VP of Operations for Forsythe Championship Racing Ltd., LLC:

“Forsythe Championship Racing is announcing today the cessation of its racing operations. After 13 years of competition in CART and the Champ Car World Series, the team has been unable to secure the necessary sponsorship to be able to compete in the Indy Racing League IndyCar Series in 2008. Forsythe Racing Inc., the parent company of FCR, will participate in the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, the Champ Car finale, with drivers to be announced.”

If true, not completely unexpected. Where does PT go?

gofastandwynn
28th February 2008, 18:35
Saw this posted at CCF by someone who's supposed to be a member of the press.

Statement from Neil Micklewright, VP of Operations for Forsythe Championship Racing Ltd., LLC:

“Forsythe Championship Racing is announcing today the cessation of its racing operations. After 13 years of competition in CART and the Champ Car World Series, the team has been unable to secure the necessary sponsorship to be able to compete in the Indy Racing League IndyCar Series in 2008. Forsythe Racing Inc., the parent company of FCR, will participate in the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, the Champ Car finale, with drivers to be announced.”

If true, not completely unexpected. Where does PT go?

Vision, Rahal, one of the other CC teams planning to run 2 cars w/o a 2nd driver announced?

mikiec
28th February 2008, 18:39
Nothing mentioned on the Forsythe website. No mention of Pettit in that 'statement'.

BobGarage
28th February 2008, 18:42
not sure i entirely belive it.

especially since Forsythe did put out this press release today...

INDIANAPOLIS (February 28, 2008) – Officials from Forsythe Racing Inc. confirmed today that popular Canadian racer James Hinchcliffe and Mexican rising star David Garza, who logged the fastest and second-fastest times, respectively, in a recent open test at Sebring International Raceway, will continue in the 2008 Cooper Tires Presents The Atlantic Championship Powered by Mazda.

The two-car team will participate in the upcoming open test at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca on March 10 and 11, as well as the full 12-race Atlantic season, which begins on April 18-20 at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach.

Hinchcliffe, a 21-year-old native of Toronto, is returning to the same operation with which he competed in his rookie Atlantic season in 2006. That season produced Hinchcliffe’s lone Atlantic victory to date at Portland, a pole position at Montreal and a total of three podium results, placing him 10th in the championship as part of a four-car operation. Last season, Hinchcliffe competed with Sierra Sierra Enterprises, improving greatly from his rookie campaign with three pole positions and five podiums en route to fourth in the championship.

The 19-year-old Garza, from Monterrey, Mexico, competed in his rookie Atlantic season in 2007 with US RaceTronics. He earned career-best results in each of his first six starts, topped by best finishes of eighth at Cleveland and the first race of the doubleheader at Edmonton. He finished 10th in the Rookie of the Year standings and 17th in the overall championship. As was the case in 2007, Garza’s car will carry sponsorship from Monterrey, Mexico-based Axtel, a leading carrier of communications services in Mexico.

Forsythe Racing Inc. owns a total of 27 victories and 27 pole positions in Atlantic competition and claimed the 1998 title with driver Lee Bentham, making it the most successful operation currently competing in the Atlantic Championship.

so Forsythe certainly isn't closing shop 100%. although it wouldn;t surprise me if he didn't switch to the merged series.

Indy500'79
28th February 2008, 18:45
That's disappointing. IndyCar has got to make sure Paul Tracy finds a good ride. TG even mentioned PT by name at the press conference when talking about how great it will be to have some of the guys from CC at the 500 this year.

DBell
28th February 2008, 18:47
AR1 is now also showing the press release I posted, saying in addition that they will continue Atlantic racing.

Hope PT ends up with a decent ride.

bblocker68
I think PT would look great in one of Paul Stoddard's cars. Rumor mill has him going to Dale Coyne???

gofastandwynn
not sure i entirely belive it.

especially since Forsythe did put out this press release today...

so Forsythe certainly isn't closing shop 100%. although it wouldn;t surprise me if he didn't switch to the merged series.

I am not that shocked, I didn't think Gerry would come along. Why fund 2 cars out of your own pocket again? You don't own the series anymore so there is no need for him to, nor do I think he looked for sponsorship at all. Monster Energy said they offered him 4 million last year and he turned it down, and he canceled PT trip for a seat fitting a few weeks ago.

But I do think this is a dick move on his part by doing it so late that it make it very hard for PT to find a ride this late.

DBell
28th February 2008, 18:51
I know there are some open spots out there, but are they going to be conditional on bringing sponsorship? If PT doesn't get something he feels can be competitive, maybe take the year off and either consider retirement or see if something decent comes up in 09.

BobGarage
28th February 2008, 18:52
or he could just set up his own team! ;)

Ruben Barrios
28th February 2008, 18:57
PT shafted by GF... now this is good daytime television!! I hope he finds a team soon...

So I guess PT will abide by his words... he won't be driving a crapwagon...

DBell
28th February 2008, 18:58
or he could just set up his own team! ;)

I'd like to see it, but Monster would have to come up with some "monster" cash I would think. I don't think PT would use his own money to do it. I sure wouldn't.

BobGarage
28th February 2008, 19:01
more from micklewright

“It simply comes down to finances,” said Neil Micklewright, VP of Operations for FCR. “We’ve been unable to find sponsorship, and so Forsythe Championship Racing is done. I’m going to try and keep a core group going so that we might try and run IndyCars in 2009 – I believe that is still a possibility. But again it’s dependent on sponsorship.

“We will be taking part in the Long Beach Grand Prix to fulfill our legal obligation to the track. We’ll have at least three cars, maybe more.”

Pat Wiatrowski
28th February 2008, 19:09
At least someone has enough **** to stand up to idiot George.

DBell
28th February 2008, 19:10
Interesting BobGarage. I hadn't seen that part yet. Sounds like GF is out for good and Neil is going to try to start his own team. Easier said than done in today's sponsor market. I wish him luck.

Rogelio
28th February 2008, 19:12
Hopefully PT gets a decent ride or any ride for that matter. Other than Bruno, I was really looking forward to PT being in the Indy 500 this year. It makes you wonder what Forsythe intentions were in December and now. He was planning on spending money to run two cars in Champ Car but not in the merged series?

mlj
28th February 2008, 19:27
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...es-operations/

JasonD
28th February 2008, 19:32
Couple things.
Notice it mentions FCR and nothing on Petit, that may mean nothing I guess we'll see.

Also remember a few months back with GF wanted to renegotiate PT's contract and that during the meeting it never came up? Well I think GF knew one of two things would happen, 1. this would be FCR's last year in CC or 2. there would be a merger and he go bow out then.

Adder
28th February 2008, 19:36
In some ways I don't think this is a terrible thing, I'm fairly sure we'll still see PT get a ride if he wants one.

If it's true that Forsythe is out I think that might help things as I certainly don't feel he's had his heart and soul in the team since Players departed.

Hope Neil Micklewright has some luck regrouping though and can put something together to rejoin the series in the future.

If Sarah Fisher can manage to put a budget together to run a fair chunk of the series I am sure that with Jerry out of the picture and some more inspired leadership that Neil's group will be back, so best of luck to him in doing that.

Ruben Barrios
28th February 2008, 19:37
Makes it clear how everything went down... GF decided to stop investing...

proof?

Anouncement stating intent to run only one car in 2007
Forcing Mario Dominguez to bring his own check
Not showing up to any races in 2007 (figure of speech)
Trying to renegotiate contract with PT

Unbelievable how some people are portraying this as an act of heroism... Leaving your team out to dry minutes before the start of the season...? What an idiot, ok it's his money and he can do whatever with it, but don't go around letting all fault lay on KK's shoulders is just cowardly!! My take is that KK didn't want to continue without GF...

Adder
28th February 2008, 19:41
Makes it clear how everything went down... GF decided to stop investing...

proof?

Anouncement stating intent to run only one car in 2007
Forcing Mario Dominguez to bring his own check
Not showing up to any races in 2007 (figure of speech)
Trying to renegotiate contract with PT

Unbelievable how some people are portraying this as an act of heroism... Leaving your team out to dry minutes before the start of the season...? What an idiot, ok it's his money and he can do whatever with it, but don't go around letting all fault lay on KK's shoulders is just cowardly!! My take is that KK didn't want to continue without GF...

This from the SPEED TV follow up makes the above even clearer:

Forsythe, who has spent an estimated $250 million on Champ Car racing during this decade, reportedly asked IRL founder Tony George for money to remain in play and was told the IRL would be happy to help with a sponsorship search.

So Forsythe was happy to take handouts from TG, but not to accept help to actually get a real sponsor!

Bearing in mind the number of teams likely to be in IndyCar this year TG has no reason to give any special handouts to anyone beyond the package already laid out.

Ruben Barrios
28th February 2008, 19:43
Well... the brainwashed brigade following the paperman will find a way to spin this into it's TG's fault, it's KK's fault... GF is a saint and has virtue and will not support this dangerous series...

Blinders!!!

Easy Drifter
28th February 2008, 20:00
If my feeble memory is right Neil and PT do not get along.

DBell
28th February 2008, 20:05

I believe your memory is not so feeble. ;)

JasonD
28th February 2008, 20:18

I think they did get along, well they did get along well enough to have some good races early on. This last season though was really bad between them from what was overheard on the radio and comments floating around.

fugariracing
28th February 2008, 20:57
GF spent a lot of his own dough propping up his over-saturated club series the last four years and now when the time has come for it to come together, he backs out. I have no sympathy. It's his money and he can do w/it what he so chooses, and to be honest seeing as apparently he was not at PC or at any of the CC races after Houston last year, wasn't in it for the long haul anymore.

Although it is a dick move to leave CC's only really popular if grizzled driver on the streets a month before the first race. Anyone else smelling a third Vision car and the ultimate irony of PT driving for TG?

gromit
28th February 2008, 21:11
GF spent a lot of his own dough propping up his over-saturated club series the last four years and now when the time has come for it to come together, he backs out. I have no sympathy. It's his money and he can do w/it what he so chooses, and to be honest seeing as apparently he was not at PC or at any of the CC races after Houston last year, wasn't in it for the long haul anymore.

Although it is a dick move to leave CC's only really popular if grizzled driver on the streets a month before the first race. Anyone else smelling a third Vision car and the ultimate irony of PT driving for TG?

That would be something see!

I think it is more likely he will wind up with Walker, Minardi, or Coyne. At a minimum, he will get a ride for the 500 with Monster sponsorship.

dataman1
28th February 2008, 22:08
Anyone else smelling a third Vision car and the ultimate irony of PT driving for TG?

Didn't TG make a statement during the press conference yesterday about how good it would be to have guys like PT back at Indy. Fugari, you might just have something here.

Osiris333
28th February 2008, 22:36
This is bad news. He took Tony's money and ran.

I guess he didn't see the value in throwing more money at a series he didn't have an ownership stake in.

Maybe TG should have made Gerry and KK minority owners. like 5% apiece or something.

Now it will be harder for Indycar to get a bump out of the unification.

nigelred5
28th February 2008, 22:46
Do we know that the amigos really got any money from TG at all?

weeflyonthewall
29th February 2008, 00:20
I am not that shocked, I didn't think Gerry would come along. Why fund 2 cars out of your own pocket again? You don't own the series anymore so there is no need for him to, nor do I think he looked for sponsorship at all. Monster Energy said they offered him 4 million last year and he turned it down, and he canceled PT trip for a seat fitting a few weeks ago.

But I do think this is a dick move on his part by doing it so late that it make it very hard for PT to find a ride this late.

BS. If Toronto and Houston had been addressed and kept on the 2008 calendar, things may be different. Indeck needs to justify their involvement. Imagine if GF decides to switch to ALMS. OMG!

gofastandwynn
29th February 2008, 00:41
BS. If Toronto and Houston had been addressed and kept on the 2008 calendar, things may be different. Indeck needs to justify their involvement. Imagine if GF decides to switch to ALMS. OMG!

What?

Do the fans in Toronto & Houston buy a lot of steam generators to "justify" his indeck involvement?
Oh, but then GF going to ALMS and running in Tooele, UT and Braselton, GA can "justify" his indeck money, right?

mantom
29th February 2008, 02:39
I'd pay to see Paul Tracy driving for Team Penske again. Chrome horn rises again!

Rogelio
29th February 2008, 16:50
I am sure there are many factors that influenced Forsythe's decision not to join the IRL. How far back do his roots go in CART? Is he that arrogant to take a "hand out"? Answers?

I am sure his decision was financial but after reading Michael Andretti's comment regarding Forsythe, in which he said he was not surprised by Forsythe "quitting," it makes you wonder what other factors influenced his decision. Was he so disgusted with Champ Car "losing" to the IRL, that he threw in the towel?

bblocker68
29th February 2008, 17:03
Where did you read the Andretti comment Rogelio? It seems like I'm on 12 websites a day since this all broke.

I'd love to see Monster sponsored Penske or NHL car for PT. One can hope, right?

JasonD
29th February 2008, 17:11
Where did you read the Andretti comment Rogelio? It seems like I'm on 12 websites a day since this all broke.

I'd love to see Monster sponsored Penske or NHL car for PT. One can hope, right?

Posted on Speed today (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/andretti-didnt-expect-proud-forsythe-to-join-irl/)

As for a monster car. Picture the McDonalds car livery from CC last year but black and the green M claw, sweet.

bblocker68
29th February 2008, 17:15
Thanks Jason!! Good to see how much Mikey still loves PT, lol.

garyshell
29th February 2008, 17:29
Can you imagine the fireworks in the pits if PT ran for AGR and Michael called for a "short fill" and PT ran out of fuel like last year? It would have made the Pearson/Yarborough fight look like a picnic in the park. It makse a certain current movie title come to mind, "There will be blood".

Gary

JasonD
29th February 2008, 17:42
Didnt PT and Mikey barry that hatchet years ago? I seam to recal a quote from PT stating he phoned him and they sorted things out. This is going back to before Mikey left CC and PT and him were on Team Green together.

I have no link to back this up I just seam to recall PT stating it in an interview.

SOD
29th February 2008, 18:17
funny watching the IRL fans believing that GF would gladly go the IRL

The IRL will still suck as bad as it ever did.

gofastandwynn
29th February 2008, 18:50
funny watching the IRL fans believing that GF would gladly go the IRL

The IRL will still suck as bad as it ever did.

I didn't think he was going to make the move.

And if you think it will suck so much, maybe you should post here... (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95) Aww, too soon? :rolleyes:

pits4me
29th February 2008, 18:57
Well... the brainwashed brigade following the paperman will find a way to spin this into it's TG's fault, it's KK's fault... GF is a saint and has virtue and will not support this dangerous series...

Blinders!!!

B I N G O.