PDA

View Full Version : No Toronto

newf66
26th February 2008, 21:18
Toronto is one of the street circuits that RM was referring to when he talked about future schedules. I agree with him that it's not the best - concrete walls, bumpy, etc. but, it's an event not to be missed. Being left off the '08 schedule is probably a good thing so that they can showcase the series for the year and then approach potential sponsors and market the heck out of it for '09.

Besides, every one I talk to still refers to it as the Molson Indy.

See you in '09 (I hope). Fingers crossed for Cleveland too, my other favorite.

woohoo331
27th February 2008, 18:20
I think you can kiss Toronto good-bye if there is no race this year then it will not happen again, the nimby crowd down by the Exhibition is very strong, and they will force this to not happen again. So the only Canadian race going forward will be Edmonton. If they think people in Toronto will meander over to Watkins Glen they are kidding themselves. Open-wheel in Toronto kiss it good-bye if they do not run this year.

Easy Drifter
27th February 2008, 19:05
Mosport could combine Indy with the ALMS and is now really part of the GTA. The 407 (multi lane toll) expansion to #35 is only a couple of miles away. Mind you it was planned in the 50's which is one reason Mosport was built where it is.

woohoo331
27th February 2008, 19:16
The issue with Mosport is no hotels, no restaurants, no activities outside of the track itself. The 407 expansion is still years away. Plus the Toronto media is very "if it isn't in the core, it didn't happen" ideals. Personally I love Mosport, but its needs to have more activities, more hotels, things to do, etc. at least in the downtown of Toronto ppl have ready access, those who do not drive will take transit to it, etc. Out at Mosport only the die hards will go and after a couple of years it will decline as well. Only real solution to this mess is move the date or pray the nimby's don't take over

Easy Drifter
27th February 2008, 21:22
Mosport draws for the ALMS. Bowmanville now has several hotels only 15 min. away. Oshawa is 30 min. That was race headquarters in F1 times. Peterborough and Lindsay 30 min. I usually stay in Lindsay. The 407 extension has been announced. I know it isn't downtown but it is a lot less remote than The Glen, Mid Ohio, St. Jovite or Elkhart and I have been to all (along with about 40 other tracks).

BobGarage
27th February 2008, 21:24
vancouver could return after the olympics.... thats the only reason they stopped it.