PDA

View Full Version : Oh I do like to be beside the ....

Hazell B
26th February 2008, 19:17
...seaside. I do like to be beside the sea!

When did you last walk on a beach?

Considering giving myself the day off on thursday as there's a nice auction in Bridlington, an east coast (mildly OAP-ised) resort with good beaches. I used to live near there, so might even visit some relatives after a stroll on the beach with the dogs.

I can almost smell the dead washed-up shellfish, fish and chips and salty air just thinking about it :p :

slinkster
26th February 2008, 20:21
I don't really like beaches all that much, more so crowded ones. (I guess really it's the people rather than the actual beach)... but I do like being by the sea... just not RIGHT by it, hehe. One of my favorite places is St Ives in Cornwall for it's seaside-y atmosphere. :)

allycat228
26th February 2008, 20:50
when i was in N.Ireland i loved going to the beach in the middle of winter with the dogs especially if you are the only person on it

Firstgear
26th February 2008, 21:22
When did you last walk on a beach?

I think it was about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Went to the cottage with the family for the weekend. Took a stroll to the jumping dock, from there we walked on the (frozen) lake over to Ant Island, and from the Island back to the beach near our cottage. Kids had a great time finding & licking the icicles hanging from the rocks along the shoreline. Had the beach all to ourselves too!

So let me ask you - When did you last walk on...water (frozen or otherwise)?

GridGirl
26th February 2008, 22:14
The last time I was at the seaside was at the begining of the month. I did a 8 mile circular walk in the Yorkshire Wolds in the snow from Muston to Flixton which is only a few miles away from Bridlington. My other half's grandma lives in Filey so we went back to her house for tea and cake. I don't think I even saw the sea.

The last time I did actaully walk along the beach would probably have been in January some time. Can't beat a long walk down Filey beach and along the Brig if the tides out before fish and chips from Inghams Fish Bar. :)

MrJan
26th February 2008, 22:54
Hhmmmm, not sure. The last time I can remember was back in August when I met up with some Uni buddies in Falmouth. Not really your standard British seaside idea more a quiet beach at night with a few beers :D

I'm convinved I must have been since then but can't think when.

As for walking on water that would have been when I went to Tornto in December and went skating. English people aren't really meant for ice, the same way that Canadians can't play football
:p :

schmenke
26th February 2008, 22:56
Gawd, I can't remember the last time I splashed around by the seaside :( . I currently live miles from a beach :mark:

However, it's not that long ago that I walked, well, skated, on a frozen section of the Bow river ;)

fandango
26th February 2008, 23:58
I'm ashamed to say that the last time I walked on a beach was last Summer. Unlike Schmenke, I'm about eight minutes walk from the sea, so I really have no excuse. The beaches in Barcelona are nicer in the Winter when there aren't many people... so in a way I'm helping to make the beach a nice place...

cosmicpanda
27th February 2008, 00:43
I last walked on a beach last Saturday, when I lived over the road from it.

Now I'm in student accomodation in the city and starting to miss my beach already...

gadjo_dilo
27th February 2008, 07:11
Last year in August. I love the sea, the holiday when I don't see the sea is a lost one.
And I don't understand the ones who go to the seaside and stay by a pool. I love to lay on the sand and to immerse into water and to feel the salt on my skin. In the warm days of summer I use to say: if the sea was nearby I'd throw myself in it with my clothes on.

Magnus
27th February 2008, 07:19
My house is situated two meteres from the sea on the eastside of a littel island. The other day when it was a record breaking tide (we do not have actual tide, but the water level was extremely high) it was a bit nervous... I was almost afraid my boat would come in and say hello...

leopard
27th February 2008, 08:01
I don't think tide is something you should be worried about unless global warming has its straight instant effect, ebb is on the other hand something you should be more careful, because tsunami must follow it couple minutes later to make permanently say hello ...

Hazell B
27th February 2008, 13:30
.... from Muston to Flixton .....

We used to exercise a relative's Hunters in that area each August when they started getting ready for the season. My pony once half jumped a style and got stuck with his front at one side and his back at the other, miles from the nearest help :mark: Still, it taught me to use gates rather than shortcuts :p :

NoahsGirl
27th February 2008, 19:35
It was 2 and a half years ago, had a stroll down Daytona Beach. Going back there in October - lovely!

Dave B
27th February 2008, 19:39
A couple of weeks back during the warm spell we took the dog to the beach. I say "beach", it was some gravel in Sheerness, but it ajoined the sea so I suppose that counts.

Drew
27th February 2008, 22:12
I currently live no more than 200 metres away from the sea, but there is a port not a beach :p :

stevie_gerrard
2nd March 2008, 00:44
It would be nearly 2 years ago now, but im going on holiday back to the coast over easter, so i'm sure the beach will be on the to do list, despite the freezing weather!

Breeze
5th March 2008, 20:38
Gotta say, this is a subject near and dear to my heart. Here's an aerial view of the little town I grew up in and a link to a site with some more shots. Barefoot in the sand.............yea...........
http://members.aol.com/ulfly/webvid.html

Breeze
5th March 2008, 20:47
These days we mostly drive down to Kitty Hawk, NC a couple/three times a year. Not as pretty as PCola beach, but it gets the job done.

Spoonbender
7th March 2008, 11:47
2 weeks ago on Sunday. Went to Dawlish (South Devon Coast) The sea was V choppy, not that it mattered as we spent the afternoon in the arcade pumping 2p's in to the waterfall type machines trying to win keyrings and tokens. Had chips as well mind, you can't go to the beach and not have chips, they were spot on too :)

J4MIE
7th March 2008, 12:11
Probably last summer on West Sands in St Andrews, regarded as one of the best beaches in Scotland! It's only about 12 miles or so from here but hardly ever go there :(

Breeze
7th March 2008, 17:22
Probably last summer on West Sands in St Andrews, regarded as one of the best beaches in Scotland! It's only about 12 miles or so from here but hardly ever go there :(

Well that is just CRIMINAL!! :eek: I hope you make every effort to change that this year. :s mokin:

J4MIE
7th March 2008, 18:57
Yep I was thinking about it this afternoon so if the weather is half decent tomorrow I might take a drive across.