PDA

View Full Version : Rookies .... ???

ChicagocrewIRL
26th February 2008, 13:47
In the new combined series.... who qualifies for rookie status ??? I know of only 2 for sure; Hideki Mutoh and Jay Howard .

What criteria do they use to determine rookie status? Anyone know ?

BobGarage
26th February 2008, 13:58
In the new combined series.... who qualifies for rookie status ??? I know of only 2 for sure; Hideki Mutoh and Jay Howard .

surely Franck Perera does as well. He's not raced in either series before.

I think anyone with more than about 6 races under their belts in either series should not be counted as a rookie.

Dr. Krogshöj
26th February 2008, 14:10
Statistics will be an interesting feature this year. I think the official statistics should include every IndyCar / Champ Car race sanctioned by AAA, USAC, CART, IRL and CCWS in the past one hundred years.

This would mean that Champ Car drivers who are yet to start an IRL event will not be classified as rookies. I'm not sure about the IRL, but in Champ Car drivers with less than three previous starts were counted as rookies. So if, say, David Martinez makes the grid, he won't be a rookie.

ChicagocrewIRL
26th February 2008, 14:12
So that's 3. We may actually have a Rookie of the Year race that actually means something and not that farce we had last year with Milka Duno. It was fortunate that Ryan Hunter-Reay showed up and kept her from winning it last year. WHEW !!!!

Alexamateo
26th February 2008, 15:11
Statistics will be an interesting feature this year. I think the official statistics should include every IndyCar / Champ Car race sanctioned by AAA, USAC, CART, IRL and CCWS in the past one hundred years.

The guy that runs this site does include them all. Heck, he even includes Nascar's Speedway division that ran in the 50's, and the USAC Gold Crown dirt races of 1982-84.

Champcarstats.com (http://www.champcarstats.com)

Toni Calderon
26th February 2008, 21:40
Actually in Champ Car this is the guideline to be a rookie:

The definition of a rookie driver is one who has not participated in more than two events in any one season and no more than 5 events in his career.

So David Martinez would be a rookie this year.

cartpix
26th February 2008, 23:54
This would mean that Champ Car drivers who are yet to start an IRL event will not be classified as rookies.

This has already proven to be fact. When Patrick Carpentier went to the IRL, he scored 10 more points, than Danika, yet she won Rookie of the Year.

Jeff

ChicagocrewIRL
27th February 2008, 00:44
If Patrick Carpentier wasn't a rookie why was Ryan Hunter-Reay classified as a rookie ???

pvtjoker
27th February 2008, 12:30

Perera and perhaps, Lloyd (supposedly being farmed by Ganassi to Vision in 3rd car).

jwhite9185
27th February 2008, 12:47
If Patrick Carpentier wasn't a rookie why was Ryan Hunter-Reay classified as a rookie ???

Good point!

Infact, i seem to remember a similar situation in 2003 - seemed like half of the people coming from CART were rookies and the others weren't?

cartpix
27th February 2008, 23:55

Because Danica wasn't a rookie, the year RHR was. ;-)

Jeff

gofastandwynn
28th February 2008, 00:13

In the past, you raced in either the cart or f1 then you were not considered a "rookie". So, when the CART guys jumped in 03 they were not considered "rookies" in the IRL.

Now, all of the CC guys will be considered rookies at the Indy 500 this year if they have never raced in it before, so they will all be up for the 500 ROY award. (side fact: you have to qualify for the race to become a 500 veteran, not just show up, so technically Memo Gidley is a 500 rookie because he DNQ'ed 2 times.)

As far as RYR goes, I think they just didn't want to give it to Milka Duno by default ala Howdy Holmes, so they just made him a rookie so Milka wouldn't be the ROY.

RaikkonenRules
28th February 2008, 19:07
Alex Llyod should be a rookie and has Bernoldi run champcar before?

BobGarage
28th February 2008, 19:11
lloyds only doing selected races (unless he's farmed off to vision).

bernoldi/rocketsports are not confirmed yet. PG said bernoldi and his sponsors were not interested in running ovals.... we shall see...

DBell
28th February 2008, 19:17
has Bernoldi run champcar before?

I couldn't see anywhere that listed CC on his resume.

gofastandwynn
28th February 2008, 21:47
Alex Llyod should be a rookie and has Bernoldi run champcar before?

Dosen't matter, Bernoldi has run F1 (I think) so he would not be considered to be a rookie in the IRL

ChicagocrewIRL
28th February 2008, 22:04
so the list of SERIES rookies so far are.....

for sure ....
Alex Lloyd
Jay Howard
Hideki Mutoh
Franck Perera

??????
Graham Rahal
Alex Figge
Justin Wilson

V12
29th February 2008, 11:26
Complete guess -- but something to do with oval experience perhaps? I don't think RHR would have raced many during his time in CC, whereas Carpentier would have raced loads during his long time in the series.

BobGarage
29th February 2008, 12:03
Complete guess -- but something to do with oval experience perhaps? I don't think RHR would have raced many during his time in CC, whereas Carpentier would have raced loads during his long time in the series.

one of RHR's two wins in Champ Car was on an oval!

V12
29th February 2008, 12:40
Haha ok, maybe the Danica conspiracy theory does make more sense there then :p :

Or perhaps they just changed the rules at some point between 2005 and 2007?

ChicagocrewIRL
29th February 2008, 16:00
I asked Cavin on the IndyStar IRL blog but he hasn't answered my question.

Who is a rookie ????

DBell
29th February 2008, 16:36
so the list of SERIES rookies so far are.....

for sure ....
Alex Lloyd
Jay Howard
Hideki Mutoh
Franck Perera

??????
Graham Rahal
Alex Figge
Justin Wilson

It seems to me that if you've run in IRL,CC or F1 you shouldn't be looked at as a rookie. Rahal, Figge have run a full season with CC. Wilson has several CC seasons plus drove for Jaguar in F1, so he's definitely not a rookie. Bernoldi's been mentioned and while he has no CC or IRL experience, he drove for Arrows in F1 in 01 and 02.

BobGarage
29th February 2008, 16:43
It seems to me that if you've run in IRL,CC or F1 you shouldn't be looked at as a rookie. Rahal, Figge have run a full season with CC. Wilson has several CC seasons plus drove for Jaguar in F1, so he's definitely not a rookie. Bernoldi's been mentioned and while he has no CC or IRL experience, he drove for Arrows in F1 in 01 and 02.

Wasn't mansell rookie of the year in 93? now don't quote me on this, but i'm fairly sure he'd had a Formula 1 race or two under his belt before coming to CART. ;) And justin wilson was a rookie in 2004 having just finished a season with Minardi and jaguar in Formula 1.

I'd leave F1 out of the equation.

But if they had run CCWS, CART or IRL before then they are not a rookie. However I think there should be a race limit. For arguments sake lets say 3. If a driver has run more than three races in total in any of the former series then he does not qualify for rookie status.

DBell
29th February 2008, 17:54
Wasn't mansell rookie of the year in 93? now don't quote me on this, but i'm fairly sure he'd had a Formula 1 race or two under his belt before coming to CART. ;) And justin wilson was a rookie in 2004 having just finished a season with Minardi and jaguar in Formula 1.

I'd leave F1 out of the equation.

But if they had run CCWS, CART or IRL before then they are not a rookie. However I think there should be a race limit. For arguments sake lets say 3. If a driver has run more than three races in total in any of the former series then he does not qualify for rookie status.

Yeah, ol' Nige was ROY in 93 and I thought that was the most ridiculous thing. :p A WDC a rookie in an OW series. I guess when I posted how I thought a rookie should be defined, it was from here on out. I agree with a race limit and 3-5 seem like the right range. If F1 is left out of the equation, no big deal. I think experience in the largest OW series in the world should count, but precedent says it doesn't.

gofastandwynn
28th March 2008, 18:17
It was just announced who will be rookies:

Jay Howard
Hideki Mutoh
Justin Wilson
Enrique Bernoldi
Franck Perara
Will Power
Ernesto Viso
Mario Moraes
Graham Rahal

They said that they would be doing this after watching the drivers around homestead and determined by Barnhart & Cottman.

ChicagocrewIRL
28th March 2008, 21:36
It's a bummer Graham will be one race down in the Rookie of the Year standings.

Other than that, it looks like the rookie of the year competition will be as exciting as the series championship battle.

( I HATE HATE HATE that IndyCar.com keeps calling the ICS championship race as "the chase" )

Leave the "chase" moniker and **** to NASCAR.