PDA

View Full Version : The ridiculousness of Michael Schumacher not racing

18000rpm
26th February 2008, 02:40
As the pre-season testing has shown, Michael Schumacher is still one of the fastest drivers in the world. Besides raw speed, he is certainly the most experienced of all the front runners. It's such a waste that we don't see him race anymore.

Having a "tester" that is certainly faster than at least one of your drivers, and with far better race craft and experience is a ridiculous situation in my opinion. If there's no seat for him at Ferrari, have him race in another team.

woody2goody
26th February 2008, 03:59
He's definitely good enough to race, and it would be great for him to battle it out with Hamilton, Raikkonen, Alonso, Heidfeld, Coulthard etc.

ShiftingGears
26th February 2008, 04:41
As the pre-season testing has shown, Michael Schumacher is still one of the fastest drivers in the world. Besides raw speed, he is certainly the most experienced of all the front runners. It's such a waste that we don't see him race anymore.

Having a "tester" that is certainly faster than at least one of your drivers, and with far better race craft and experience is a ridiculous situation in my opinion. If there's no seat for him at Ferrari, have him race in another team.

He is not racing because being a modern F1 racing driver isn't as simple as turning up on grand prix weekends and driving at your best.

Besides "why did you retire?" is so much nicer than "why don't you retire?".

Ranger
26th February 2008, 04:42
Yes, but why would he race when he doesn't want to?

If he wanted to still be racing F1, then there's no doubt he would still be on the grid. But its his choice that he doesn't want to be.

I don't see any ridiculousness in that.

tsarcasm
26th February 2008, 05:46
very true, Schumi still has it but

he has nothing to prove and plenty of money, and he get's to see his family these days

F1boat
26th February 2008, 07:16
Yeah, better to retire while you are still one of the best, if not the best, than to fade and fade...

wmcot
26th February 2008, 07:21
I suspect that he sees racing as the hard work and long hours that it is while he can test a few days here and there and still get the thrill of driving. Add to that the fact that he is incredibly wealthy and what more would you want?

ArrowsFA1
26th February 2008, 08:39
I suspect that he sees racing as the hard work and long hours that it is while he can test a few days here and there and still get the thrill of driving.
I think that's it :up: and he can also show he's still "got it" and could beat the class of '08 if he wanted to, without having to prove it in race conditions.

Bottom line is the guy still loves driving F1 cars, and Ferrari allow him to do just that.

Big Ben
26th February 2008, 09:18
It would have been a great thing to see him this year at McLaren alongside Hamilton :laugh:

I'd love to see what he would do if they made him the 2nd driver :laugh:

only McLaren could do such a thing

Robinho
26th February 2008, 12:57
the most impressive thing for me, aside from not losing any of his speed, is his fitness, he must still be working incredibly hard to be able to turn up and run 80+ laps in testing without too much problem, and too keep that discipline when you are no longer in a proffessional sport isvery comendable, obviously he will want to saty fit, but fit enough to drive an F1 car flat out for 80+ laps is another thing altogether

fandango
26th February 2008, 17:33
As the pre-season testing has shown, Michael Schumacher is still one of the fastest drivers in the world. ....It's such a waste that we don't see him race anymore.

Ross Brawn is probably texting him that very message now...

CNR
26th February 2008, 21:05
one thing to remember is that he spent almost 1/2 his life in f1 (16 years)

jso1985
27th February 2008, 02:34
I don't see anything ridiculous. He wasn't sacked from any team, he retired cuz he wanted it and good for him! he was going to get slower someday, so better to retire when you're still on F1's top

Osella
28th February 2008, 23:07
the most impressive thing for me, aside from not losing any of his speed, is his fitness, he must still be working incredibly hard to be able to turn up and run 80+ laps in testing without too much problem, and too keep that discipline when you are no longer in a proffessional sport isvery comendable, obviously he will want to saty fit, but fit enough to drive an F1 car flat out for 80+ laps is another thing altogether

True enough, but then again the last time he wasn't an F1 driver (1991) he was still fitter than the F1 drivers were! It was Michael who really demonstrated what an advantage physical fitness could be in F1 and ushered in the era of controlled diets and personal trainers. (did Frentzen ever give up smoking...?)
So his physical fitness is not so surprising given that it is something he has always worked at, whether in F1 or not.

Garry Walker
29th February 2008, 14:18
He is retired and doesn`t want to be racing anymore. As he said, its fun when it is one-off, but he wouldn`t have the motivation to do a whole season.
Simple.

fandango
29th February 2008, 19:59
I, for one, wouldn't like to see him make a comeback. Time moves on, and it's better to have them asking for more than wondering when you'll go. He's an old man by F1 standards. What was that song by Kenny Rogers about poker...?

maximilian
1st March 2008, 01:00
What may be an interesting twist is, should Kimi or Rubens be sick or injured for one or more races, I would imagine Ferrari would ask Michael to take the wheel for the time being :D Surely they wouldn't give Badoer or Gene the nod? Nice to have a legend as backup driver! :cool:

markabilly
1st March 2008, 02:12
Who is Michael Schumacher?

f1rocks
1st March 2008, 03:16

He was a racing driver wannabe who dreamt of one day getting a ride to race in F1...My signature says the rest...

Tazio
1st March 2008, 14:32
http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=4272867&fSectionId=756&fSetId=381
This guy is golden! :)

Osella
1st March 2008, 19:37
What may be an interesting twist is, should Kimi or Rubens be sick or injured for one or more races, I would imagine Ferrari would ask Michael to take the wheel for the time being :D Surely they wouldn't give Badoer or Gene the nod? Nice to have a legend as backup driver! :cool:

See here:

http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123856

Big Ben
1st March 2008, 20:34
My signature says the rest...

yes indeed.... the very most extremely super hyper mega best ever never been

now let us thank HIM for he has brought so many blessings to us, poor immortals.

Roamy
2nd March 2008, 02:02
well they are slying comparing his times to Kimi. But to put the balls back on the table as his age may not be something he is keen on doing. Maybe if he knew he could start at the front. but row 3 and beyond may not be very enticing. It is ok at his age to move away from the edge. I think this is probably a gift of respect and a comparison on development abilities for the current two drivers..

Ghostwalker
2nd March 2008, 09:32
What was that song by Kenny Rogers about poker...?
The Gambler. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gambler_%28song%29)

As many aleady have said its better to quit while your on top then to do "a coulthard".

Ranger
2nd March 2008, 10:24
As many aleady have said its better to quit while your on top then to do "a coulthard".

Despite no longer being a race winner, Coulthard has kept face much better than others who have remained several years after their last win.

Fisichella, JV, (Rubens?), and Graham Hill being the obvious examples.

wmcot
3rd March 2008, 06:15

Jean Alesi's chauffeur! ;)