PDA

View Full Version : long beach and 17 DP01'S

evo5_mat
25th February 2008, 23:45
just read something on a blog about Long beach races,

Now there expecting At least 17 Panoz DP01s for this race alone and Tony Cotman will be in charge of race control for that weekend also.

Also champcar medical will be there also, although from what i hear from other sources this be the last time with zero staff having been taken on to IRL books.

So wonder who be the drivers for the cars ?

heelntoe
26th February 2008, 01:53
just read something on a blog about Long beach races,

Now there expecting At least 17 Panoz DP01s for this race alone and Tony Cotman will be in charge of race control for that weekend also.

Also champcar medical will be there also, although from what i hear from other sources this be the last time with zero staff having been taken on to IRL books.

So wonder who be the drivers for the cars ?

PG with an enlarged seat and 16 petite blonds trailing their behinds...literally :)

MSG1
26th February 2008, 19:41
I am expecting Long Beach to be a total farce.... and I will be there (already paid for tickets, airfare. lodging).

The promoter and the IRL need to realize if this year's LBGP does not live up to past years', they will be alienating many of their longtime fans and supports.

Rogelio
26th February 2008, 19:51
I think it would be a mistake to place our Champ Car drivers behind those DP01s, since they have had or possibly no training in them. I guess we will find out tomorrow, but it is a shame that our "crown jewel" is being treated like the red-headed stepchild. Certainly, the merger is for the best, but Long Beach deserves better than this. Hopefully, we do not lose too many fans in the process.

I will not be attending the LB race for the second time in 18 years. Truthfully, I do not care that I am not going to be there, then again I will miss the Tecate girls and the Spring Bok and the Irish Pub...and so forth. The fans and the community deserve better than this; second class racing!

JasonD
26th February 2008, 19:58
I think it would be a mistake to place our Champ Car drivers behind those DP01s, since they have had or possibly no training in them.

What are you talking about? What do you think they drove last year?

dataman1
26th February 2008, 19:58
I am looking at Long Beach a little differently. After that race the DP01's are most likely show cars so I expect the drivers to tear up some chassis trying to score points for this season's championship.

This is also an opportunity for all the CCWS fans to come have one last big blow out of a party, gather information on each other so they can stay in tough, and we can all say some good byes. This might even be good therapeutically to celebrate the past and say hello to the future.

Lets all meet in Long Beach and have a pint of brew.

DBell
26th February 2008, 20:03
That's a place the IRL will have to win over. Having lived in SoCal. for 10 years until recently, it definitely was a Cart/CC fan base. The IRL never did come close to the best CART crowds at Fontana. It's a unique market and it's too bad that that it's getting off to such a rocky start.

bblocker68
26th February 2008, 20:14
It'll be okay. LB has embraced ALMS with open arms already. I hope people are well enough informed that they'll be lucky if they see 10 cars on Sunday, not 17.

I'm a native so I'll be there like every other year.

Rogelio
26th February 2008, 20:57
What are you talking about? What do you think they drove last year?

My mistake. I was confusing the DP01s with the IRL cars. Total complete momentary lapse of reason.

garyshell
26th February 2008, 21:05
I think it would be a mistake to place our Champ Car drivers behind those DP01s, since they have had or possibly no training in them. I guess we will find out tomorrow, but it is a shame that our "crown jewel" is being treated like the red-headed stepchild. Certainly, the merger is for the best, but Long Beach deserves better than this. Hopefully, we do not lose too many fans in the process.

My mistake. I was confusing the DP01s with the IRL cars. Total complete momentary lapse of reason.

Hello, when is this race relative to the start of the season? Hint: It is NOT the first race of the season anymore. And there are two three day test sessions scheduled prior to the REAL first race. If you are going to spew venom like this, at least get your facts straight first.

Gary

Rogelio
26th February 2008, 22:28
Hello, when is this race relative to the start of the season? Hint: It is NOT the first race of the season anymore. And there are two three day test sessions scheduled prior to the REAL first race. If you are going to spew venom like this, at least get your facts straight first.

Gary

Gary I "know" most of my facts. I guess I am the only one on this forum who has forgotten that our former series no longer begins in LB, but begins with the IRL schedule. I will do my best to knot spew "venom like this" ever again. Unlike, yourself, perfection is not my forte.

UDFlyer
27th February 2008, 05:31
Gary I "know" most of my facts. I guess I am the only one on this forum who has forgotten that our former series no longer begins in LB, but begins with the IRL schedule. I will do my best to knot spew "venom like this" ever again. Unlike, yourself, perfection is not my forte.

No, you're not the only one. Or at least not the only that is less than pleased with the new situation.

garyshell
27th February 2008, 06:22

I am not claiming perfection, but I am saying that to make claims that the drivers would have no time in the cars is simply ridiculous, if you haven't bothered to find out if they would have time in the cars or not. And if you HAD actually tried, you would have readily found out that there are two test sessions planned for all of the ChampCar guys to get accustomed to the Dallara.

I realize you are upset, but to this should not prevent you from trying to find out the facts before you make such ridiculous accusations. After all do you REALLY think that anyone would expect the guys to jump in the Dallara for a race with no training in them. That idea is preposterous at face value, and you very well know it.

Gary

Claus Hansen
27th February 2008, 11:30
Your kidding me, running Panoz in Long Beach, and Dallara's in Motegi, they should either cancel LBGP or Motegi, why would the incorperate LBGP in this years merged series, if they are not gonna run it... Well, pigs does still fly !

Yeah i know, dont slam me 2 hard on this, but i just think this is plain stupid !

pvtjoker
27th February 2008, 12:24
Throw in Frankie Muniz and Rafael Matos in one or two of the cars. Hell, why not Jason Preistley? Okay maybe not him, but Matos and other up in coming drivers in Atlantics/IPS (like Lloyd) wouldn't be bad) wouldn't be bad.

pvtjoker
27th February 2008, 12:25
Your kidding me, running Panoz in Long Beach, and Dallara's in Motegi, they should either cancel LBGP or Motegi, why would the incorperate LBGP in this years merged series, if they are not gonna run it... Well, pigs does still fly !

They've tried that. Darn contracts (and attorneys) get in the way.

BenRoethig
27th February 2008, 19:03
f'ing Honda. Its moronic to do it this way

JasonD
27th February 2008, 20:11
f'ing Honda. Its moronic to do it this way

Errr, you cant blame Honda on this one. They had a date set and couldnt move it because of FIA scheduling conflicts.

More like f*ng TG, KK & GF for completing this deal in February with only a few weeks before the season starts.

IMSA_Dude
27th February 2008, 20:18
f'ing Honda. Its moronic to do it this wayHonda... well, Acura... have 3 LM-P2 cars in the ALMS race at the LBGP. Believe it or not, there is actually a commitment there to a couple other race series, and yes, that silly celeb thing also.

It's a dumb solution, agreed, but the best one considering all the existing agreements. You can't fault anyone for sticking to the plans they had to make a long while back.

fugariracing
27th February 2008, 20:18
Ya this conflict might be a pisser but can't expect everything to go swimmingly at such a late time frame. Good thing the deal got done period, even if it is last minute.

Axel
27th February 2008, 22:20
Well we are all up in arms about drivers and teams, BUT what im hearing is that they will have the 17 cars on the grid in LB. Because of IRL rules that cars can be added to the back of the grid for non qualifing times. THE former CC drivers can dial in extra cars and former IRL drivers can fly over from Japan and jump in cars and still make warm ups on sunday to fill out the grid because of time difference. IF we are short drivers for the final race.

The only thing we need is 17 pit spots and crews and that is the only worry?

BobGarage
27th February 2008, 22:27
quote from Kalkhoven at the pressconference today...

we might even see a couple of drivers coming back from Motegi and jumping in a DP01.

Cart750hp
27th February 2008, 22:40
I was just thinking...who wants to be in Japan race, really, than Long Beach? Won't be surprised to see more cars in Long Beach than Japan.

BobGarage
27th February 2008, 22:42
as both are points paying races, surely it benefits the drivers to do both, could double their points for the weekend!

Hoss Ghoul
27th February 2008, 23:51
as both are points paying races, surely it benefits the drivers to do both, could double their points for the weekend!

That's the thing that doesn't quite make sense about KK's comments.

It doesn't seem reasonable to have any IRL drivers in that race, even if they are not allowed to score points they can still effect the outcome of the race.

Truly an odd situation, but it is a minor hurdle in the grand scheme of things, in 10 years the quirkiness of the situation will probably be remembered fondly.

Osiris333
28th February 2008, 00:55
I was just thinking...who wants to be in Japan race, really, than Long Beach? Won't be surprised to see more cars in Long Beach than Japan.

I bet TG is at Long Beach, also. He's got some fast talking and promotion to do.

994ever
28th February 2008, 00:58
He's got some fast talking...to do.

That will certainly be a...ummm....ahhh...hmm...uhhhh...change.

Rogelio
28th February 2008, 05:04
I really dislike KK's positive spin on the LB Grand Prix. Do the fans, other than those on this forum, really care about seeing the drivers race around in DPO1's for the last time? The DPO1's were around for only a year and it is not like we had a love affair with this "classic" car.

It is unfortuante that Montegi could not be rescheduled, so that all the teams could have participated in the race.

bblocker68
28th February 2008, 05:24
I don't see how driver's could be allowed double points. That doesn't sound right to me. Maybe if guys do both races, they can take the higher placing finish and drop the lower??

Cart750hp
28th February 2008, 06:14
That will certainly be a...ummm....ahhh...hmm...uhhhh...change.

Exactly what I was talking about.