PDA

View Full Version : Foie Gras....thoughts?

SarahFan
25th February 2008, 03:16
anyone have any?

Magnus
25th February 2008, 06:30
I have never tasted it though my girlfriend says she loves it. I do not know if she says that in ordr to underline her god taste or if she really likes it. Since I know that the feeding of the animals is somewhat out of line I guess I will not taste it either...

Mark
25th February 2008, 07:33
It looks disgusting until you realise what it is and how it is made then it looks even more disgusting.

leopard
25th February 2008, 08:16
Yeah I think fried chicken and there are a lot of choice better than it.

gadjo_dilo
25th February 2008, 08:19
Fatality!!!!! Yesterday I was in a crowded tube and thought about this and even thought of a topic on the forum.
In the past it was a very popular dish. We use to call it "pâté of liver" and it was generally made of pork liver. In the communist period it was a sort of "poor's dish", cans of pâté were very cheap and filled along with the vietnamese shrimps the shelves of alimentary shops. A party without the pâté sandwiches was like a wedding without fiddlers. :laugh: I like it only from cans and mixed with butter, mustard, pepper and small pieces of bell-peppers.
These days the product has lost popularity, it's considered too ordinary. I think I stll have a few cans in the storeroom.

Remember that when I was a kid my mum was doing it at home, directly from liver but I never ate that. It's a long story related to some gypsies.

Azumanga Davo
25th February 2008, 08:30
Pease Pudding, anyone? :p : Yummy...

leopard
25th February 2008, 08:43
Wildlife even avoid such thing, I think such ruthless only happened in ancient life of BCE :p

gadjo_dilo
25th February 2008, 11:28
Lol guys. See that none of you want this delicatessen. And I laugh in my beard thinking of a dish that is on high price in the balkanic kitchen: the belly soup. It's made of cow's stomach and legs and it's ideal in case of hangover.
I confess I can't even stay in a restaurant where they serve it but people simply enjoy it.

Azumanga Davo
25th February 2008, 12:01
Could be a lot worse, y'know. They have Spaniel and Chips over in the Far East... :eek:

MrJan
25th February 2008, 12:58
Pease Pudding, anyone? :p : Yummy...

Cheesey Pease? Or my favourite, New Squeezey Cheesey Pease. If you like cheese and pease then you'll love Cheesey Pease ;)

SOD
25th February 2008, 13:33
anyone have any?

you'll save on cooking oil because you wont need any to cook it.

no idea what it tastes like though.

Azumanga Davo
25th February 2008, 14:52
Cheesey Pease? Or my favourite, New Squeezey Cheesey Pease. If you like cheese and pease then you'll love Cheesey Pease ;)

They really should have got onto that and marketed the stuff. But deitely none of the strawberry variety for me ta. ;)

SarahFan
25th February 2008, 16:07
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/223634_chou11.html

Breeze
25th February 2008, 16:20
Love the stuff, myself. Straight up sauteed or in pate form, en terrine, just about any way its served its delicious.

SarahFan
25th February 2008, 17:07
anyone have a thoughts or opinions on hows it produced?...and the legality/morality of it being served in restaurants?

Drew
25th February 2008, 17:29
It's probably a bit out of my price range :p :

schmenke
25th February 2008, 19:17
Love the stuff, myself. Straight up sauteed or in pate form, en terrine, just about any way its served its delicious.

:up: :facelick:

But as per Drew's comment, it's not something we have every day.

donKey jote
25th February 2008, 19:54

But as per Drew's comment, it's not something we have every day.

Part of the Xmas classics, together with loads of very young lamb.

:donks:

anthonyvop
25th February 2008, 20:09
The stuff is delicious. Especially when it is used as a side dish with some nice tender veal!

leopard
26th February 2008, 03:52
liver produced from free range chicken waay tasteful if had to eat it.

gadjo_dilo
26th February 2008, 08:49
anyone have a thoughts or opinions on hows it produced?...and the legality/morality of it being served in restaurants?
I know but it's hard to translate. Basically the liver is fried not too hard in a pan + bacon + onions+ spices. . Then it's minced a few times and even get through a strainer. Then add salt, pepper and butter mixing with a wooden spoon.
It's served cold decorated with boiled eggs.

Drew
26th February 2008, 12:37
The stuff is delicious. Especially when it is used as a side dish with some nice tender veal!

I personally find it goes down better with baby seal clubbed by the lowest payed migrants

MrJan
26th February 2008, 13:13
I personally find it goes down better with baby seal clubbed by the lowest payed migrants

I much prefer farmed seal. The costs saved on the farming allow higher paid migrants (the ones on about 10p an hour) who club the seal with much more experience. ;)

gadjo_dilo
26th February 2008, 13:43
I've almost forgotten. It may also take the form of a sausage and is called "Leberwurst".

Hazell B
26th February 2008, 18:53
My thoughts on foie gras?

Pretty much unprintable :(

Those of you who eat it should at least find out it's true production methods and then be utterly ashamed of yourselves ;)

One thing about it does make me laugh, though. Those who eat it more than monthly are, oddly, more liable to develop serious liver disease than those who do not.
It's probably down to the general diet being overly rich and not just the cruel liver pate, but all the same it's damned funny :laugh:

anthonyvop
26th February 2008, 19:32

Those of you who eat it should at least find out it's true production methods and then be utterly ashamed of yourselves ;)

One thing about it does make me laugh, though. Those who eat it more than monthly are, oddly, more liable to develop serious liver disease than those who do not.
It's probably down to the general diet being overly rich and not just the cruel liver pate, but all the same it's damned funny :laugh:

Fully aware of how it is produced. At least the Goose has a chance(A slim one true.)
It is you salad eaters that tick me off. Those poor heads of lettuce. Roots in ground only to be violently yanked from their life sustaining earth then to endure a agonizingly slow death until they are eaten alive.

Ever notice that the more the food suffers the better it tastes?

donKey jote
26th February 2008, 23:05
We got foie gras - allegedly - as an entree for dinner tonight at our hotel :D
Unfortunately it came as a very very fine layer disguised amongst some sort of potato pasty thingy :(

If it keeps raining like it is at the moment we might even get snails tomorrow - or frogs :)

fandango
26th February 2008, 23:48
Why is this a thread? What's the big deal here?

I like it (and foie, too).

SarahFan
27th February 2008, 05:23

have you ever seen a chicken farm...or a hog farm...or been to a beef slaughter house...

these ducks are living fat and happy

leopard
27th February 2008, 05:39
They are living fat and happy because of something they don't know that they are placebo on efficacy of an experiment. :)

Btw, it's fairly right such foods kill more than tobacco :o :)

SarahFan
27th February 2008, 05:45
Why is this a thread? What's the big deal here?

I like it (and foie, too).

I'll tell you why....I wanted to solicit some thoughts before I explained my situation...

I own and am the acting chef of two restaurants.....at one I serve a pan-seared filet of beef with a seared filet of Foie Gras finished with a madiera reduction.....

I was recently (saturday evening) contacted by a national hate group letting me know that I was next on there list for boycott and protest.....the most recent Recent restaurant in my area endured 5 months of protest....including broken windows, broken gas lines....guests were harrassed entering and leaving the restaurant....it escalated to a employee being physically attacked.....the owner finnally took it off the menu.....

for the past three days I have been attempting to gather as much information.....and opinions as I could

I have been in contact of course with my attorney and insurance agent....as well as the local police, city goverment, city attorney.....and the FBI...

it's interesting...i live in a fairly 'sheltered' area....the locals seem to think it's all going to pass..that the kooks will show up for a few days then quietly go away.....the only authorities taking it serios is the FBI.....in fact they are actively looking for some of these kooks....i have also been in contact with USDA and the national vetenarian society...

Folks who buy into the negative propaganda forget one singular important factor.....Farmers have a vested interest in safe healthy animals in that they earn more at market....period!

for those that have simply heard the horror stories....I say do some honest open eyed research and you will find that the 2 farms produceing Foie in the US are producing healthier animals than any of the mass producing chicken or pork farms in the country....

My biggest problem with the whole thing is when and where does it end.....now it's Foie....tomorrow it will be veal or lamb or whatever the head kook decides is the issue of the day......and then what...well hell let's just burn some books...

bottom line is these folks are singular in thought.....if you dont think and believe like they do...then by golly your wrong PERIOD end of discussion

I'm not forcing anyone to eat something there not interested in......the solution is simple....JUST DON"T EAT IN MY RESAURANT

leopard
27th February 2008, 06:32
Can we have full menu the restaurant offers? We may use it for our lunch menu :)

gadjo_dilo
27th February 2008, 06:49

I know the production methods as my mother used to cook it. Nothing wrong with it. Eating caviar is more disgustful if you think you eat spawn. However it's a luxury dish. :laugh:

Azumanga Davo
27th February 2008, 08:29
I'll tell you why....I wanted to solicit some thoughts before I explained my situation...

I own and am the acting chef of two restaurants.....at one I serve a pan-seared filet of beef with a seared filet of Foie Gras finished with a madiera reduction.....

I was recently (saturday evening) contacted by a national hate group letting me know that I was next on there list for boycott and protest.....the most recent Recent restaurant in my area endured 5 months of protest....including broken windows, broken gas lines....guests were harrassed entering and leaving the restaurant....it escalated to a employee being physically attacked.....the owner finnally took it off the menu.....

for the past three days I have been attempting to gather as much information.....and opinions as I could

I have been in contact of course with my attorney and insurance agent....as well as the local police, city goverment, city attorney.....and the FBI...

it's interesting...i live in a fairly 'sheltered' area....the locals seem to think it's all going to pass..that the kooks will show up for a few days then quietly go away.....the only authorities taking it serios is the FBI.....in fact they are actively looking for some of these kooks....i have also been in contact with USDA and the national vetenarian society...

Folks who buy into the negative propaganda forget one singular important factor.....Farmers have a vested interest in safe healthy animals in that they earn more at market....period!

for those that have simply heard the horror stories....I say do some honest open eyed research and you will find that the 2 farms produceing Foie in the US are producing healthier animals than any of the mass producing chicken or pork farms in the country....

My biggest problem with the whole thing is when and where does it end.....now it's Foie....tomorrow it will be veal or lamb or whatever the head kook decides is the issue of the day......and then what...well hell let's just burn some books...

bottom line is these folks are singular in thought.....if you dont think and believe like they do...then by golly your wrong PERIOD end of discussion

I'm not forcing anyone to eat something there not interested in......the solution is simple....JUST DON"T EAT IN MY RESAURANT

If you start selling Cheesey Peas, then who knows... :D

Hazell B
27th February 2008, 13:44
It is you salad eaters that tick me off.

Stop being so childish :mark:

I didn't have a go at what anyone else eats, I simply said learning about your impact on the food you eat is the very least it deserves. Pate production is banned in many countries due to it's cruelty, so it isn't exactly pleasant in many people's view. I happen to agree.

I'm not a salad eater, either. In fact roast boar is on the menu tonight, cooked in last night's lamb fat.

Whilst I don't agree at all with violent protest, I do think that simply stopping the inclusion of Fois Gras in the menu wouldn't make a difference to the diners, but would stop the protests. As I personally wouldn't eat at your place with it on the menu, you may also find more customers will turn up too. Especially if the chef appeared on local TV mentioning the stuff had been removed from the menu and gaining some nice publicity in the meantime :) You never know, trade might go up without it more than with it - it's worked in this country in some top London places :up:

gadjo_dilo
27th February 2008, 14:37
Stop being so childish :mark:
. Pate production is banned in many countries due to it's cruelty, so it isn't exactly pleasant in many people's view. I happen to agree.

What cruelty? It's not like slaughtering animals/birds only for liver. If you sacrifice a pork or a goose what's wrong to cook the liver?

Hazell B
27th February 2008, 15:28
What cruelty?

You've already said that you know about it's production, yet it's obvious you do not :rolleyes:

They don't farm the geese and ducks (mainly ducks as they're easier to handle) for any body part other than the liver in foie gras production.

A young bird, say 12 weeks old, begins a period of intense force feeding via a tube to the stomach about two to four times each day. This food is liquid FAT (foie gras is about 85% pure fat when we eat it) and chipped or kibbled maize. The liver soon begins to swell as the diet is nutrient poor, far too fatty for the species and quantities forced in make huge demands on the body. Many animals die before they're ready to 'harvest' through damaged throats, stomach linings and basically a blown-up liver. Those who gain the correct weight of liver are killed for pate production - at about six to twelve times normal liver size. That's why it's costly to make - large numbers of animals are wasted throughout the process.

Imagine the pain of living with a massive, swollen liver and diet that would make you sick after every meal. With no ability to vomit (most animals cannot vomit like we do) the ducks are feeling deeply ill all of their lives once they arrive in foie gras production, plus too ill to move properly. Conditions on the farms are also generally very poor, dirty and disease-ridden.

It's production is banned in most countries.
It's sale is banned in some UK council areas, too.

No idea where you'd find details to check out what I've said here, but perhaps starting at RSPCA.org would work as I know they did some work on the subject are are pretty fair in their information.

Hazell B
27th February 2008, 15:31
By the way, I have no objection at all to normal pate production (from normally fed animals) and in fact buy it sometimes. It's a very, very different thing to foie gras.

SarahFan
27th February 2008, 16:21
You've already said that you know about it's production, yet it's obvious you do not :rolleyes:

They don't farm the geese and ducks (mainly ducks as they're easier to handle) for any body part other than the liver in foie gras production.

A young bird, say 12 weeks old, begins a period of intense force feeding via a tube to the stomach about two to four times each day. This food is liquid FAT (foie gras is about 85% pure fat when we eat it) and chipped or kibbled maize. The liver soon begins to swell as the diet is nutrient poor, far too fatty for the species and quantities forced in make huge demands on the body. Many animals die before they're ready to 'harvest' through damaged throats, stomach linings and basically a blown-up liver. Those who gain the correct weight of liver are killed for pate production - at about six to twelve times normal liver size. That's why it's costly to make - large numbers of animals are wasted throughout the process.

Imagine the pain of living with a massive, swollen liver and diet that would make you sick after every meal. With no ability to vomit (most animals cannot vomit like we do) the ducks are feeling deeply ill all of their lives once they arrive in foie gras production, plus too ill to move properly. Conditions on the farms are also generally very poor, dirty and disease-ridden.

It's production is banned in most countries.
It's sale is banned in some UK council areas, too.

No idea where you'd find details to check out what I've said here, but perhaps starting at RSPCA.org would work as I know they did some work on the subject are are pretty fair in their information.

that post is full if lies....sorry H..but your misinformed

in fact the entire birds useable parts are used...specifically it's breast and thigh meat...and bones (stock etc.)

the age of the bird is irrellivant....all livestock born and bred for humane consumption is slaughtered at a realitively young age...

the diet is in fact nutrient rich...which of course results in nice fat animals

your use of "Many" and "large numbers" is simply false

Ill?.....again Farmers have a vested interest in healthy animals as the fetch more money.....again your just flat out wrong...

the two US farms producing Foie are visited daily by the USDA....and routinely rank amongst the cleanest and most well maintained in this country..

and your use of 'too ill to move properly' simply doesn't wash.....the ducks at both farms are housed in a area roughly four times the size of any Chicken being mass produced for consumption in this country...

SarahFan
27th February 2008, 17:00
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rpbtBgLfl90&feature=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ABeWlY0KFv8

^ some won't eat Foie because it's cruel....yet Chicken is factory farmed in the double digit BILLIONS annually

Hazell B
27th February 2008, 19:03
that post is full if lies....sorry H..but your misinformed

Please don't call me a liar - I can easily back up EVERYTHING said in my post.
While we're at it, your English is dire :mark: Your means yours, you're means you are. Jeez, you call me liar yet can't even speak the language.

in fact the entire birds useable parts are used...specifically it's breast and thigh meat...and bones (stock etc.)

Perhaps in US production whole birds are used (but I very much doubt it - on that diet it would taste rather bland. In the vast majority of production, from Europe, only the liver is fed to humans, the rest is sent for fertilizer, animal feeds and so on.

the age of the bird is irrellivant....all livestock born and bred for humane consumption is slaughtered at a realitively young age...

I know the age doesn't matter and that most animals are eaten young. I'm not stupid. However, I was simply describing a way of rearing and the age was mentioned. Lambs I helped bring into the world in late November have reached slaughter weight this week and are being killed tomorrow, after today's sales, so trust me when I say I know about ages ;)

the diet is in fact nutrient rich...which of course results in nice fat animals

Rubbish. Corn and fat are not nutrient rich. The animals aren't fat at slaughter, they are liver fat. Even if they were fat, it wouldn't add to the muscle, the bit we eat, would it? Fat on geese and ducks adds taste I'll grant you, but them being fat isn't actually desirable. Anyway, fat does not equal healthy!

your use of "Many" and "large numbers" is simply false

Prove me wrong, then. Bet you can't.

Ill?.....again Farmers have a vested interest in healthy animals as the fetch more money.....again your just flat out wrong...

No, dead, edible animals fetch in money. Ill, as I meant it, means the animal feels unwell and wouldn't be classed as healthy in normal use. Ducks for foie gras are not in any way healthy with their livers bloated to six times (at least) what nature intended, are they? How can they be?

the two US farms producing Foie are visited daily by the USDA....and routinely rank amongst the cleanest and most well maintained in this country..

Bully for the US farms. Doesn't mean they produce all the foie gras used in the US though. Most European farms for the stuff aren't even legally farms - it's mainly produced as a cottage industry with beggar all tests and checks. Honey, for example is produced the same way here - no healthy checks on the animals, just on the kitchens used in preparation.

and your use of 'too ill to move properly' simply doesn't wash.....the ducks at both farms are housed in a area roughly four times the size of any Chicken being mass produced for consumption in this country...

I didn't say they were short of room. I said they couldn't move properly. You wouldn't either, with liver problems like theirs.

You asked about foie gras, not chicken farms. So why the chicken rubbish? Seriously, next you'll be saying it's okay to beat dogs to death for food since fish get a bash on the head before being chucked in the frying pan :rolleyes:
Chicken farming has NOTHING to do with the subject you asked us about.

I dislike foie gras and disagree with it's production. Live with it. I'm in the majority, you're (that's English, that is ;) ) not.

MrJan
27th February 2008, 19:23
Yeah, go Hazell!! :up: :D

Don't really care about the argument but that there's fighting talk :up:

Hazell B
27th February 2008, 21:49
Why thankyou :D

I aim to please ;)

SarahFan
27th February 2008, 22:31
Please don't call me a liar - I can easily back up EVERYTHING said in my post.
While we're at it, your English is dire :mark: Your means yours, you're means you are. Jeez, you call me liar yet can't even speak the language.

I dislike foie gras and disagree with it's production. Live with it. I'm in the majority, you're (that's English, that is ;) ) not.

Ah..typical internet chat behavior....'I can back ebverything up'...i wont, instead I'll point the conversation elsewhere...like 'context'...typical weak sauce...

but in the end we do get some where....your antiFoie...i can live with it...

the real question is can you?...or the fanatics that are assaulting employees of restaurants, or fire bombing farms etc...

the question comes down to choice....you choose to not eat foie or support busineses that serve it...but do restaurants have the right ot serve it? and diners the right to consume it?

and yes im sure you can find a dozen or more spelling and gramamtical errors....i could care less....this isnt the spelling forum is it?

Camelopard
27th February 2008, 22:35
Ah..typical internet chat behavior....'I can back ebverything up'...i wont, instead I'll point the conversation elsewhere...like 'context'...typical weak sauce...

the real question is can you?...or the fanatics that are assaulting employees of restaurants, or fire bombing farms etc...

the question comes down to choice....you choose to not eat foie or support busineses that serve it...but do restaurants have the right ot serve it? and diners the right to consume it?

and yes im sure you can find a dozen or more spelling and gramamtical errors....i could care less....this isnt the spelling forum is it?

If this is an indication of your attitude to customer service, I'm glad that I'll never have the opportunity to eat at your restaurant....

SarahFan
27th February 2008, 22:49
If this is an indication of your attitude to customer service, I'm glad that I'll never have the opportunity to eat at your restaurant....

what does my post have to do with customer service?

Camelopard
27th February 2008, 23:00
what does my post have to do with customer service?
Well you get a "feel" for people from what they write and how they react to criticism. Your over the top reaction to Hazell's post makes me think that you would probably be like that in real life.

SarahFan
27th February 2008, 23:09
http://legalfoiegras.blogspot.com/

^some interesting reading....especially down towards the bottom when they discuss animal rights vs animal welfare...

leopard
28th February 2008, 04:17
It's because we can't eat food from restaurant trough internet. I guess every restaurant owner is a warm person in fact. They are here only to look for justification on menu they offer :D

ShiftingGears
28th February 2008, 05:35
If its anything like Mardi Gras I'm not interested.

gadjo_dilo
28th February 2008, 07:55
You've already said that you know about it's production, yet it's obvious you do not :rolleyes: .

Hmm.....I reckon english is not my strong point. So in my narrow mind " production " is "the act of producing; creation; manufacture". When my mother cook a meal she doesn't kill an animal and doesn't use vegetables from our garden, she use to buy these stuff. I briefly described the process of making this product in a kitchen and it's common stuff for any housewife. Also in my narrow mind I suppose that restaurants don't feed and kill gees themselves but also buy the liver.
The cruelty you talked about may be applied to any meat/organ product but I thought that most of you are disgusted by this product because it's made of liver. In my case I don't eat any dish made of brains, kidneys, liver, tongue, hearts, lungs, etc or of any bird meat.

SarahFan
29th February 2008, 00:00
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MAs-zOWp-b0&feature=related

Azumanga Davo
29th February 2008, 07:39
If its anything like Mardi Gras I'm not interested.

Glad I don't have to pay to see that one... :p :

More like UghSquirrel... ;)

*groan*

Hazell B
29th February 2008, 14:12

To be fair, you've backed nothing up either ;)
Simply, nobody's going to bother reading from a list of pro and anti, so I didn't bother listing any sites for more information. And as you'd taken some of what I said way out of context, I feel fully justified in correcting you.

Of course I can live with it. I'm alive, aren't I? :rolleyes:
Who's fire bombing farms, exactly? Who's a fanatic? I'm certainly neither - as already stated I am against such action.

do restaurants have the right ot serve it?

I wish they didn't, nor stores to sell it, but they do. I won't and haven't tried to stop that. Doesn't stop me being allowed an oponion though.

No, it's not a spelling forum. It just makes you look stupid, that's all. :laugh:

Now, the difference between animal rights and welfare is interesting, and almsot well put in the site you linked to. Thing is, I happily eat animals and keep animals for my own pleasure. I have had animals killed when they are at the end of their lives and brought new ones in to the world knowing full well they will be eaten in a few weeks. So I am not one of the silly people who scream blue murder whenever any animal is used by humans.

I'm against animals being treated in an inhumane way, that's all. Foie gras is inhumane in it's European production, which by the way isn't ANYTHING like the way described by the site linked to. That's why it's banned here. Bearing in mind how many years it took our government to ban hunting with dogs, I think we can rest assured European foie gras was indeed cruel in it's production if it was banned at all!

At the end of the day, be honest and tell me a resaurant will suffer if it stops using foie gras. It can easily use an equally fatty normal liver pate and the average person wouldn't even notice unless they read the menu.

gadjo, the fact that it's liver doesn't bother me. I make the best liver gravy I've ever tasted, actually. It's the fact that it's cruelly made that bothers me.
A similar example of my personal choices in animal wefare would be that I use wool from only non-mulsed sheep. No objection to sheep being farmed, but I dislike mulsing. Being friends with quite a few sheep farmers, they are against it too. It's an embarrassment to their industry, which luckily doesn't happen in the UK anyway.

gadjo_dilo
29th February 2008, 14:29
gadjo, the fact that it's liver doesn't bother me. I make the best liver gravy I've ever tasted, actually. It's the fact that it's cruelly made that bothers me.
A similar example of my personal choices in animal wefare would be that I use wool from only non-mulsed sheep. No objection to sheep being farmed, but I dislike mulsing. Being friends with quite a few sheep farmers, they are against it too. It's an embarrassment to their industry, which luckily doesn't happen in the UK anyway.

You're ...killing me softly....with your posts. :laugh:
Following your reasoning an ordinary killer is less guilty than the one who tortures his victim before the final cut.
Next Christmas I'll invite you to Romania to see the peasant traditional way to kill the pig. Who's also got fatter for sacrifice.

BTW, what is mulsing?

gadjo_dilo
29th February 2008, 14:35
I have had animals killed when they are at the end of their lives and brought new ones in to the world knowing full well they will be eaten in a few weeks. So I am not one of the silly people who scream blue murder whenever any animal is used by humans..

Unfortunately I'm a silly who thinks that's really cruel. Killing the animals you've fed and brought up....

fandango
29th February 2008, 19:32
To Hazell and Ken: Your posts are both interesting and educational, and have contributed to making a thread that's worth reading, so please don't get all bitchy with each other. I'd rather read this than stuff about TV shows I'll never watch or what's my favourite consumer item of the day. Some people do look at the links, you know...

BDunnell
1st March 2008, 00:20
Foie gras is one of those foodstuffs like caviar that I don't quite understand the fuss about, taste and enjoyment-wise, when one bears in mind the literal and figurative cost, but each to their own.

Hazell B
1st March 2008, 19:22
Following your reasoning an ordinary killer is less guilty than the one who tortures his victim before the final cut.

No, you've got me wrong there. If an animal is raised with it's welfare in ,mind and has a short but comfortable life, I'm more than happy to eat it. However, one who is treated badly in life won't be on my plate. It's about treating animals who'll be eaten as well as they can be without going madly overboard in either direction.

Geese in fields, grazing as they would in the wild, are perfectly fine to eat as far as I'm concerned. Yet geese kept in sheds and force fed (the word force means something here ;) ) an un-natural diet is just plain wrong in my opinion.

By the way, one of you murderers is guilty of murder, the other torture and murder - each carrying different jail terms and charges, here. So one would be more guilty than the other, as it happens!

BTW, what is mulsing?

Sorry, I missed an 'e' out of it :rolleyes:

Rather than appear a total animal rights freak, I'll ask you look it up yourself. Mulesing is banned in most countries, but about 80% of Aussie sheep suffer it without any pain relief or post op care. Mulesed wool isn't used by many designers, retailers who commision wool content clothes or knitwear makers here. I just happen to dislike it so don't buy anything that contains it. No idea where you'd find out about it on the web in an unbiased way, but Marks and Spencers stores have stopped using it so maybe they can offer a fair site to start at which won't be over the top animal rights garbage or farming publicity stories.

gadjo_dilo
3rd March 2008, 08:43
No, you've got me wrong there. If an animal is raised with it's welfare in ,mind and has a short but comfortable life, I'm more than happy to eat it. .
I find this rather cynical... I can't be happy when eating meat anyway. I know it's weird but I can't eat meat from a peasant knowing he did kill a pig or a veal, etc. I never buy cheeese from peasants although it's far better than the one in the shops and I avoid to eat eggs from country side.

Sorry, I missed an 'e' out of it :rolleyes:

Rather than appear a total animal rights freak, I'll ask you look it up yourself. Mulesing is banned in most countries, but about 80% of Aussie sheep suffer it without any pain relief or post op care. Mulesed wool isn't used by many designers, retailers who commision wool content clothes or knitwear makers here. I just happen to dislike it so don't buy anything that contains it. No idea where you'd find out about it on the web in an unbiased way, but Marks and Spencers stores have stopped using it so maybe they can offer a fair site to start at which won't be over the top animal rights garbage or farming publicity stories.

I looked up but I still don't understand. Instead of this long tirade it would have been easier to say "mulesing is...". Otherwise I'll understand that a respectable member of our forum may have an affair with a horse. :laugh:

Azumanga Davo
3rd March 2008, 09:12
I looked up but I still don't understand. Instead of this long tirade it would have been easier to say "mulesing is...". Otherwise I'll understand that a respectable member of our forum may have an affair with a horse. :laugh:

Now there's a novelty...

leopard
4th March 2008, 07:40
Now there's a novelty...
How can you say this is a novelty there are small number of people have the same opinion, I will give mine but afraid Daniel will not understand (again). ;)

Breeze
5th March 2008, 20:18
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulesing

Who knew? Learn somthing every day on this forum I do.

BDunnell
5th March 2008, 23:31
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulesing

Who knew? Learn somthing every day on this forum I do.

This reminds me of the time, some years ago, that I was told what mole ploughing was. I've been fascinated ever since.

http://www.moleplow.co.uk/

Azumanga Davo
6th March 2008, 14:06
How can you say this is a novelty there are small number of people have the same opinion, I will give mine but afraid Daniel will not understand (again). ;)

You get used to that eventually...

Hazell B
6th March 2008, 19:55
I can't be happy when eating meat anyway. I know it's weird but I can't eat meat from a peasant knowing he did kill a pig or a veal, etc. I never buy cheeese from peasants although it's far better than the one in the shops and I avoid to eat eggs from country side.

Allowing for you not having English as a first language, I'll forgive the 'peasant' comment. You understand meat comes from the countryside? Cheese and eggs too. There isn't any other type :laugh:

You cannot just say what it is as simply as that, plus I'll omly be moaned at about being bias in my words. So, no you won't draw me on that one.

Horses and mules are different. I have affairs with neither.
I also resent that remark :(

gadjo_dilo
7th March 2008, 08:42
Allowing for you not having English as a first language, I'll forgive the 'peasant' comment. You understand meat comes from the countryside? Cheese and eggs too. There isn't any other type :laugh: :
You understand that I live in another part of the world? Peasants are still peasants not farmers. They sell their products in front of their door or on peasants market and their products are ( or it used to be cos now they know the tricks ) natural. The supermarkets, hypermarkets and shops in general don't buy from them but from combined units of raising animals and the food they use is a bit different from the natural one used by the peasant. The result : yolk of a peasant's eggs ( sorry for that but it's just a joke ) is orange, the yolk of the others is pale yellow.

Horses and mules are different. I have affairs with neither.
I also resent that remark :(

You have no reason as it was a joke and wasn't addressed to you.
I was looking for mulesing on dictionary.com
I thought it's a form of a verb and serched for mules and the result was " The sterile hybrid offspring of a male donkey and a female horse, characterized by long ears and a short mane ". Then I remembered we have a Donkey on the forum and thought he'll be offended......