PDA

View Full Version : Cameras cameras everywhere!

Drew
24th February 2008, 13:43
Speed cameras, red light cameras, bus lane cameras, congestion charge cameras along with CCTV cameras and who knows what else. Does the UK need more cameras to watch us?! or does the government need more money? Do we really need car sharing lanes and then cameras to police them?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7260225.stm

What are your thoughts on this?

Brown, Jon Brow
24th February 2008, 16:59
It's a little disconcerting knowing that we are being watched all the time but If you're not doing anything wrong you've nothing to worry about. :)

jim mcglinchey
24th February 2008, 20:39
but If you're not doing anything wrong you've nothing to worry about. :)

Try telling that to the Birmingham 6, Guilford 4, Maguire 7, Winston Silcott, James Hanratty, Stefan Kiszko, Cardiff 3, Bridgewater 4 etc, etc..

jim mcglinchey
25th February 2008, 20:11
..on the other hand tell it to the anyone involved in the Steve Wright case or the Bustop Stalker case who were both initially identified with CCTV.

Daniel
28th February 2008, 16:03
I've never seen the big deal with cameras in this country.

The nearest cameras to me are about 3 or 4 miles away and are on the entry to towns. What's the problem with that? Then there's another camera on the A5117 too where there are roadworks.

In my whole year and a half here I've not had my picture taken once despite the fact that I usually only obey speed limits on the way to breaking them. In Australia I think I got caught 2 or 3 times and for one reason. In Perth they use much smaller and less visible cameras and they hide them. This being an example.

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/1/3435972-Multanova_webpic-Bunbury.jpg

If you get caught by a fixed camera here it will usually be because you're an idiot and you're speeding in a residential area and wasn't paying attention and didn't see it or you ignored the fact that there are average speed cameras in roadworks and thought you could speed inbetween cameras. Here they warn you and give you a chance to slow down. In Western Australia and you're speeding you've probably just been caught.

If people here had things as badly as I had back in WA they'd have a genuine reason for complaining I would think.

GridGirl
28th February 2008, 18:09
You must be lucky Daniel to have your nearest camera 3 or 4 miles away. In the 10 miles I travel to my actual work place each day I will go past 7 cameras. If I only go to work and back i'll pass 14 cameras in a day which isn't including the cameras on almost every set of traffic lights.

I haven't ever been caught by one but thinking about how many cameras I do pass I'm not quite sure how they haven't got me on something or other yet. :s

Daniel
28th February 2008, 18:50
You must be lucky Daniel to have your nearest camera 3 or 4 miles away. In the 10 miles I travel to my actual work place each day I will go past 7 cameras. If I only go to work and back i'll pass 14 cameras in a day which isn't including the cameras on almost every set of traffic lights.

I haven't ever been caught by one but thinking about how many cameras I do pass I'm not quite sure how they haven't got me on something or other yet. :s
But you know they're there. In Perth you can drive to work and pass 2 or 3 and not even know.

Mark
29th February 2008, 17:43
I think most people dont have a problem with speed enfrocement in residential areas. it is when you get them on good quality rural roads that it wrankes somewhat

Daniel
29th February 2008, 19:18
I think most people dont have a problem with speed enfrocement in residential areas. it is when you get them on good quality rural roads that it wrankes somewhat
At the end of the day you're breaking the law PLUS the cameras are usually quite visible AND you have road markings. In Australia there are no road markings and the cameras are not particularly visible.

Drew
29th February 2008, 20:16
I hate speed cameras with a passion, but deep down I know in some places they are needed and as Danny boy has said, they are clearly marked and visible (most of the time).

What I hate is the complete overkill of surveilance in the UK, yes we need a few speed cameras, yes we need a few CCTV cameras but do we really need a congestion camera? Was it the Peugeot advert that said you're on cctv camera 300 times a day? I dunno if that's a true or accurate statistic, but it's incredible.

Daniel
29th February 2008, 20:29
I hate speed cameras with a passion, but deep down I know in some places they are needed and as Danny boy has said, they are clearly marked and visible (most of the time).

What I hate is the complete overkill of surveilance in the UK, yes we need a few speed cameras, yes we need a few CCTV cameras but do we really need a congestion camera? Was it the Peugeot advert that said you're on cctv camera 300 times a day? I dunno if that's a true or accurate statistic, but it's incredible.
Playing the devil's advocate but what harm does having a congestion camera do to you? :)

BDunnell
1st March 2008, 00:23

They are also often popular with local residents in areas where there is perceived to be a speed problem. It is a difficult conundrum, because for everyone who doesn't want a speed camera there is often someone (or more than one person) who thinks the opposite.

Drew
1st March 2008, 12:54
Playing the devil's advocate but what harm does having a congestion camera do to you? :)

Well, I don't agree with the principle, but that's not the point of this thread, but also it's just spying again. It's like when you hear when journalists and travel writers have gone to certain undemocratic countries and they had to have a government minder watch their every move. It's unlikely the journalist is going to do anything wrong, but they really don't want to be watched. I never do anything terribly wrong, but I still don't want to be watched when I'm doing things right. It's just like a government minder, but you can't really tell they're there.

They are also often popular with local residents in areas where there is perceived to be a speed problem. It is a difficult conundrum, because for everyone who doesn't want a speed camera there is often someone (or more than one person) who thinks the opposite.

In a residential area I support them, more so than speed bumps and traffic "calming" measures.

Garry Walker
2nd March 2008, 14:47
Well, I don't agree with the principle, but that's not the point of this thread, but also it's just spying again.
It is making sure that people obey the speed limit and don`t crash to death. That is not spying, that is protecting people from their own stupidity.

Drew
2nd March 2008, 19:42
It is making sure that people obey the speed limit and don`t crash to death. That is not spying, that is protecting people from their own stupidity.

I wasn't talking about speed cameras, I said I don't agree in principle with car sharing lane cameras.

jim mcglinchey
4th March 2008, 18:46
The latest application that Big Brother has thought of is parking cameras ie nailing people for parking for half a minute on a yellow line while they nip into the shop, when they would not have otherwise been caught. I can acceptwith that alot of CCTV is for the public good but this is ridiculous.

Mark
5th March 2008, 08:24
Oh there's better ones than that. Cases where someone has literally stopped for 15 seconds to drop someone off outside a station, one side of their car is a few centimetres into a parking bay and they get fined for not paying for the parking.

J4MIE
6th March 2008, 18:43
Fife police has a policy of no fixed cameras but they have a couple of them in the back of vans. They kindly publish whereabout these cameras will be so that you can slow down accordingly :)

Res Ipsa Loquitur
30th March 2008, 20:37
Problems with cameras? Check these sites.

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/

http://www.no2id.net/

Mark
31st March 2008, 07:34
The new thing now is the parking cameras. No longer do you have traffic wardens (or whatever they are called this week), instead you have CCTV cameras watching the parking spaces so if you stop for even a couple of seconds, that's a fine in the post!

schmenke
1st April 2008, 15:15
...In my whole year and a half here I've not had my picture taken ...

I would imagine that most Welsh are greatful for that...

:erm: :p :

Azumanga Davo
2nd April 2008, 14:19
I would imagine that most Welsh are greatful for that...

:erm: :p :

Schmenke, strangled with a biltong, in the games room.

Zico
9th April 2008, 16:53
I have mixed views on cameras.. a few thoughts I have..

Negatives- They cant make allowances for situations unlike a police orificer who can use his discretion. I dont like the fact that they generally seem to be used mainly as a money earner for local authorities under the "road safety" pretence. Take edinburgh for example.. perfect, high visability dual carraigeways all reduced to 50mph limits as their camera van fleet went operational.

Positives- They have nice brightly coloured chevrons painted on them now, so there really is no excuse for not noticing them... in fact if you get a ticket it should for driving with undue care and attention rather than speeding. ;)

The Specs system is allegedly flawed.. as lane changes are supposed to offer a loophole.. (if this is to be believed) http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23370879-details/Drivers+can+avoid+speeding+tickets...by+changing+l anes/article.do

Wouldnt like to try it out personally.

I dont have a problem with them in built up areas, near schools etc.. but on quality A-roads and motorways their main purpose is to make money. If they left it the way it is (here at least) right now, I'd be able to live with it. Fat chance!, soon we wont be able to fart without recieving a polution fine thru the door.