PDA

View Full Version : Vauxhall Key problem

LiamM
22nd February 2008, 13:16
Wondering if anyone can help me here?

An elderly friend of mine owns an Vauxhall Astra 1.6 (model unknown) on a 96 'P' plate. The other day he broke his key, he got a replacement key from an ordinary key cutting shop, but now his car not start.

Would I be right in thinking that the engine has a key activated engine immobiliser fitted, and, as such, he needs to go to Vauxhall for a new key instead?

Thanks in advance

Mark
22nd February 2008, 13:22
Would I be right in thinking that the engine has a key activated engine immobiliser fitted

OOh, yesh.

and, as such, he needs to go to Vauxhall for a new key instead?
Quite so.

Depends on how the key broke. It may be possible to hold the old key beside the ignition and it might start that way.

There was a story about a person who's dog ate a Ford key and she was only able to start the car by putting the dog in the footwell :laugh:

MrJan
22nd February 2008, 13:30
An elderly friend of mine owns an Vauxhall

Oh yeah, a friend ;) You're with friends you can own up that it's really you who owns the Vauxhall :p : :laugh:

Seriously though I hate when companies do this and then probably charge 4 times as much to get it redone, there should be laws against that kind of underhanded sneakiness.

Daniel
22nd February 2008, 13:34
What Mark said should work if you hold the other key near the keybarrel and turn :)

My 406 key for example
http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Files/Key.jpg

Disassembled with immobiliser chip circled
http://members.iinet.net.au/~fenix1983/Files/Key2.jpg

Take the chip out and use the key and it won't start at all. Put it back in and starts like it should.

You can still go to a key cutters and as long as they have the equipment you can encode the new key as well :)

LiamM
22nd February 2008, 16:03
Oh yeah, a friend ;) You're with friends you can own up that it's really you who owns the Vauxhall :p : :laugh:

It was my friend? I have a Corsa, unfortunately