PDA

View Full Version : Petrol to hit £1.50 a litre

Mark
22nd February 2008, 09:29
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/35741/Petrol-to-hit-1-50-a-litre

Motorists were last night warned to brace themselves for even higher petrol prices – with experts predicting fuel will hit £1.50 a litre by the end of the year.

Drivers are already feeling the strain after a record 20 per cent increase in pump prices over the past 12 months. But the sky-high cost of oil means the pain will only get worse in the months ahead.

The threat of the £6.82 gallon prompted fresh calls for the Treasury to scrap its planned rise in fuel duty.

The 2.35p a litre increase on April 1 will swell Government coffers but place further strain on stretched family finances. For every £1 we pay at the pumps, 70p goes to the Treasury in duty and VAT.

Even before this week’s surge in the cost of crude oil to a record 101 dollars a barrel, fuel prices had been rising at their fastest rate for a decade. Unleaded has soared from an average of 86p a litre this time last year to 104.3p. It means a typical driver is spending an extra £8.62 every time they fill up. Diesel has risen even further, to 109.3p a litre. To add to motorists’ misery, other costs of keeping a vehicle on the road have also gone up steeply.

Average insurance premiums have jumped by more than twice the rate of inflation, while drivers also have to pay extra for road tax, car servicing and garage repairs.

Brendan McLoughlin, managing director of the website Petrolprices.com, warned: “If these conditions in the crude oil market continue, we will hit £1.50 a litre this year.

“Chancellor Alistair Darling is planning two further fuel duty increases by October and, with such worldwide economic instability, oil prices are likely to rise in the future.

“The last time oil hit $100 a barrel it was artificially inflated by a rogue trader wanting to claim his place in history as the first to buy oil at such a landmark price.

“This time, the price has jumped as a result of speculation over conflict in Nigeria, a refinery explosion in Texas, market traders using commodities as a way to protect themselves against a weak dollar and fears that Opec (the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries) will cut production because oil reserves are drying up.”

Oil prices have climbed from under 50 dollars a barrel at the start of last year.

Experts warn the price will rise even higher on the back of huge demand and political uncertainties around the world.

Ray Holloway, director of the Petrol Retailers Association, predicted prices would hit $120 a barrel by the summer.

Oil prices dropped 10 per cent in January before peaking again this week.

However the dip has not been reflected on most garage forecourts.

The AA calculates the average driver is spending an extra £18.48 a month on fuel compared with a year ago.

President Edmund King, said: “If the average cost of petrol continues to rise the Chancellor will surely find it impossible to add 2.35p in duty and VAT at the start of April. The increase would simply backfire by fuelling inflation.”

A Treasury spokesman said: “The policy on fuel duty for the next three years was set out in the budget in March last year and remains as stated.”

Magnus
22nd February 2008, 09:49
Well, it´s an inevitable development; we will run out of gas...
For myself who sumertime also runs a gasstation for boats, the future looks gloomy :(

leopard
22nd February 2008, 10:11
I think as long as petrol stations still operate and sell fuel, it's still fairly good. :D

Iain
22nd February 2008, 11:17
They won't drop duty though will they, they'll keep on putting it up, trying to force people to use public transport. If only they'd realise not everyone can.

Daniel
22nd February 2008, 13:39
http://www.dailytech.com/Purdue+Develops+Alloy+For+Commercially+Viable+Hydr ogen+Production/article10805.htm we need this to become a reality :p Then the government will have alumina duty though :p

Abo
22nd February 2008, 14:12
http://www.dailytech.com/Purdue+Develops+Alloy+For+Commercially+Viable+Hydr ogen+Production/article10805.htm we need this to become a reality :p Then the government will have alumina duty though :p

Nah, they'll just introduce road pricing...

Daniel
22nd February 2008, 14:55
Nah, they'll just introduce road pricing...

Too difficult to implement.

GridGirl
22nd February 2008, 17:16
If fuel is going to get that expensive my workplace better give us all a increase in mileage expenses or there will be a mass revolt. I've already over 1000 work miles this month!

Hazell B
23rd February 2008, 18:46
I'm still wondering why prices haven't dropped after the barrel price fell these past few days - they put the price up by the minute when it rises!

It's 110.9p a litre in much of North Yorkshire at the moment, while I managed to pay 99.9p (105.9p plus discount) in North Lincs. That's for diesel.

Abo
23rd February 2008, 19:54
I'm running my 306 on commercially produced B100 Biodiesel at the moment. 93p/litre... :)

Allyc85
24th February 2008, 00:00
Reading this makes my blood boil, really does!!

They won't drop duty though will they, they'll keep on putting it up, trying to force people to use public transport. If only they'd realise not everyone can.

Exactly! Some people like myself work in places where public transport dosnt really get near and at times where it hasnt even begun. Its alright for the idiots in the goverment wo dont have an f'in clue what its like in the real world isnt it.

Abo
24th February 2008, 07:41

Despite what they say I'm sure the government has little desire to see us all on public transport. After all, what would they tax then, the air? Wouldn't surprise me...

maxu05
24th February 2008, 09:35
The price of fuel has gone up only a little here in China, but the price of food has gone up 300% due to the cold weather we experienced over the Chinese New Year period. I pay about 15RMB, (just under 2 pounds) to fill the tank on my little 50cc scooter from near empty, so I can't complain, as it lasts me about 2 weeks.

Robinho
24th February 2008, 12:09
well i'm not surprised, after all the oil companies are struggling for cash at the moment and aren't posting record profits at all, same with British gas, they obviously need to keep inflating prices as they've only just broken even again this year - haven't they? ;) :(

Drew
24th February 2008, 13:36
well i'm not surprised, after all the oil companies are struggling for cash at the moment and aren't posting record profits at all, same with British gas, they obviously need to keep inflating prices as they've only just broken even again this year - haven't they? ;) :(

As much as it pains me to say it, it's not their fault, it's the government's fault. There is a breakdown somewhere of the petrol price and what goes where. The government gets about 60% and as the price of the oil itself has been rising, so has the tax. Yet somehow they still want to put an extra 2p/ litre!

I tell you what, the government is lucky as hell the economy atm is in a pretty good shape

Mark
24th February 2008, 15:18
Yes on top of the duty they charge vat and the recent price rises have meant they are getting the tax they planned for duty.

AndyRAC
26th February 2008, 09:07
Tax, Tax, Tax, agh,.... not only are we paying tax on petrol, plus tax on the vat of petrol, we also have the road tax. It should be one or the other, not both. What do they do in the rest of Europe?? We really are taken for a ride here, something must be done, or it will just keep going up and up. Public transport, what a joke!! The MP's obviously never use it....

Hazell B
27th February 2008, 14:09
.... the price of the oil itself has been rising ....

And then going down again, but fuel hasn't dropped a penny!

When oil first hit $100, it was actually a single trader manipulating the price so he could claim to be the first to trade at that magic number - a simple ego boost for one idiot :mark:
It dropped within a day once traders realised the stupidity of it.

Now it's hit $100 again on it's own, yet in the mean time pump prices stayed high. No idea what it is now, but it has dropped a few percent twice in the past month, then gone back up. Pump prices haven't :(

Drew
27th February 2008, 22:25
And then going down again, but fuel hasn't dropped a penny!

When oil first hit $100, it was actually a single trader manipulating the price so he could claim to be the first to trade at that magic number - a simple ego boost for one idiot :mark:
It dropped within a day once traders realised the stupidity of it.

Now it's hit $100 again on it's own, yet in the mean time pump prices stayed high. No idea what it is now, but it has dropped a few percent twice in the past month, then gone back up. Pump prices haven't :(

See, this is what confuses me about the stock market. If a trader can manipulate the price to make it high, could one not also manipulate the price to make it low?

Mark
28th February 2008, 11:39
They can. There is just the question he that is going to be a profitable approach.