PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Corona Rally Mexico - official thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Koppomsbo
21st February 2008, 17:41
Havnt seen any Official tread yet so here we go

Not long for the rally to start now, and lets hope for another round of exiting rally. Maybe we will have a third winner for the year :)
Some links that may be useful

Official site of the rally
http://www.rallymexico.com/

Entry list
http://www.rallymexico.com/pdf/EntriesMx08.pdf

Rally Radio
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/wrr_pop.jsp

Split Times
http://zone.ee/wrcmasters/index.php

News, photos etc...

http://www.wrc.com

http://www.ewrc.cz

And of course a link for the rally sponsor, ill think i will support them :D

http://www.corona.com

gloomyDAY
22nd February 2008, 02:33
Doesn't anyone care?

Screw it! I bought my airline ticket and am going to have a great time.

Petter better kick ass this year. I went in 2007 with faith in the evolution of the S12, but was severly let down when I saw Petter step out of his car and look over his malfunctioning engine. Come on SWRT. Make this one count.

turves
22nd February 2008, 09:30
I don't know why, and I'm probably wrong, but I've got a gut feeling that Atko might end up on top of the podium here. As I say, I don't know why, and there would have to be problems for a few drivers, but stranger things have happened...

leopard
22nd February 2008, 10:26
thanks, useful links.

GigiGalliNo1
22nd February 2008, 12:57
I don't know why, and I'm probably wrong, but I've got a gut feeling that Atko might end up on top of the podium here. As I say, I don't know why, and there would have to be problems for a few drivers, but stranger things have happened...

Since you say that,,,, i think so too! and Gigi... hrmm... strange thoughts!

grugsticles
22nd February 2008, 19:48
Its only early in the season, but is Chris' presence more felt this year? has he become a real contendor overnight or am I just in another day dream?
I too think hes a real shot as he seem to have more speed somehow?

Perhaps Mexico will be a shining light for him?

N.O.T
22nd February 2008, 19:55
am I just in another day dream?

Yes...

pettersolberg29
22nd February 2008, 22:08
If Atko has any chance of winning, he has to get past Loeb, Mikko, Latvala, Henning, Gigi and Petter.
And if the Subi can win rallies then Petter will win in Mexico, not Chris.

A.F.F.
22nd February 2008, 22:14
Subaru might be succesfull in Mexico but only resultwise. Timewise they will be lightyears away from the lead :mark:

tribefiend
22nd February 2008, 23:44
Oh man I would love to see a Subaru win in Mexico. It's been a loooong time.

cosmicpanda
23rd February 2008, 09:00
It's strange to remember that the 05 subaru won in Mexico.

SubaruNorway
23rd February 2008, 11:20
Petter is awaiting a call from the team if they will change the dampers ore not, all about politics he says.

alleskids
23rd February 2008, 18:33
It's strange to remember that the 05 subaru won in Mexico.

Mexico 2005 was Subaru's last real win. GB '05 was given to Solberg (who finished 2nd ?) from Loeb (after what happend with Beef).

Tomi
23rd February 2008, 18:41
Hirvonen predict some tactic by the top drivers what comes to starting positions on sunday.

pino
23rd February 2008, 20:54
Hirvonen predict some tactic by the top drivers what comes to starting positions on sunday.

Himself included ? :p :

N.O.T
23rd February 2008, 21:55
the rally will be long over before sunday.....no need for tactics.

COD
23rd February 2008, 22:05

No he said TOP drivers :D

Tomi
23rd February 2008, 22:27

propably he count him self in too, maybe Loeb, Latvala and Galli too.

gloomyDAY
24th February 2008, 02:32
HAHA! I have no place to stay on Saturday and Sunday.

Just found a hostile for part of my trip.

Anyway, I can't wait to be at the opening ceremonies!

tmx
24th February 2008, 08:59
Its only early in the season, but is Chris' presence more felt this year? has he become a real contendor overnight or am I just in another day dream?
I too think hes a real shot as he seem to have more speed somehow?

Perhaps Mexico will be a shining light for him?

maybe he is fed up with not having good result so he go for it more now, which is kind of a hint from his interviews.

Mexico 2005 was Subaru's last real win. GB '05 was given to Solberg (who finished 2nd ?) from Loeb (after what happend with Beef).

but petter won 4 other GBs, i think if he has the right car he will always be on the top there.

pino
24th February 2008, 09:22
propably he count him self in too, maybe Loeb, Latvala and Galli too.

Since when Gigi is a top driver in your book ? :eek:

alleskids
24th February 2008, 09:23
but petter won 4 other GBs, i think if he has the right car he will always be on the top there.

The point was that it is since Mexico 2005 that Subaru has won a World Championship rally. And that is a very long time, especially for a manufactuerer team, with such a load of experience and top drivers.

Tomi
24th February 2008, 09:40
Since when Gigi is a top driver in your book ? :eek:
Not so special driver in my book, but now he has good starting position, i think it's realistic for him to finish in top 4.

Viking
24th February 2008, 16:47

Hope they do :) then we will have a race on sunday for a change, and maybe 5 or 6 cars in the chase.
But I predict they dont, sunday is only 56 km ss and 4km sss.

DonJippo
24th February 2008, 18:14

And about 50% of it is on roads already used for stages either on Friday or Saturday

Buzz Lightyear
24th February 2008, 18:53
Petter is awaiting a call from the team if they will change the dampers ore not, all about politics he says. does petter need otsberg to tell him what dampers to use. this is nonsense. ford has been using these 'special dampers' for over a year.

pino
25th February 2008, 06:59
Hope they do :) then we will have a race on sunday for a change, and maybe 5 or 6 cars in the chase.

As long as we have this stupid point-system, sunday will always be a boring day...

DonJippo
25th February 2008, 10:28
Petter is awaiting a call from the team if they will change the dampers ore not, all about politics he says.

All about money I think....

jonas_mcrae
25th February 2008, 11:16
I really like suzuki and garde, but I predict only one or none of the suzukis will finish the rally (maybe under super rally...) I think they will break down on the first day (hope they prove wrong tough) On the other side PG won JWRC here in 2005(??) so maybe not so bad in the end. I think some people will crash so maybe some good surprises (Gigi, atko)

playmo
25th February 2008, 15:26
Gigi should be up to 3rd (or even higher?) benefitting from road position and he's done recce here for 2k6 and 2k7 (apart from contesting before), besides he's got nothing to loose.
Mikko's got too much pressure on, and seb's car don't seem that reliable nowdays.
First gravel event on no-mousse tyres, this will affect J-M, Sordo, and maybe Atcko (he'll be on top stage times often, but thanks to punctures that won't show on the general classification)
Can't wait.....

ProRally
25th February 2008, 15:46
All about money I think....

Or that Ford still has exclusivity as a FULL Manufacturer team...

No problem for private teams, or even Suzuki who used them in JWRC and now WRC, but for a direct competitor...

gloomyDAY
26th February 2008, 06:07
The only days that are going to be worth watching are Friday and part of Saturday. Sunday is just a filler! These tactics are a bunch of crap and only devalue this sport. I predict that I'll be in the mountains of Leon seeing the winner cross the last stage 2 minutes ahead of the next competitor.

Something ridiculous is bound to happen.

Also, the FIA needs to pull their head out of their ass and allow the WRC to flourish. These ****ing rules are atrocious.

turves
26th February 2008, 08:33
I don't think Sunday will be just a filler. From what I gather Sundays stages will have already been used once, from my view this is going to make it a lottery with punctures...

Finni
26th February 2008, 12:56
The only days that are going to be worth watching are Friday and part of Saturday. Sunday is just a filler! These tactics are a bunch of crap and only devalue this sport. I predict that I'll be in the mountains of Leon seeing the winner cross the last stage 2 minutes ahead of the next competitor.

That's definitely not gonna happen. Aren't you aware that leading driver will start first on the road in saturday and Sunday?

Raini
26th February 2008, 15:21
By the way, today is Loeb's birthday!!

jonkka
26th February 2008, 16:08

So is Jean Todt's... Another successful Frenchman...

gloomyDAY
26th February 2008, 16:31
I don't think Sunday will be just a filler. From what I gather Sundays stages will have already been used once, from my view this is going to make it a lottery with punctures...Good to know. Sometimes I'm as optimistic as my username.

That's definitely not gonna happen. Aren't you aware that leading driver will start first on the road in saturday and Sunday?I know that the lead driver is going to start first, but am upset by the rule change. I remember when it was first introduced many people on the board, including myself, shunned the idea of having the leader start first.

Alright, coin toss for Sunday in my opinion. I hope this trip turns out well and see you in Mexico. I'm off.........

pettersolberg29
26th February 2008, 18:18
What time English time (GMT) do the stages start?

Would it be early in the morning, or late at night because if its is too extreme it'll be hard to follow this rally because as a teenager with exams in a couple of weeks, I'm in bed by 10:3:( , and don't get up till 11 am!

Viking
26th February 2008, 18:30
I think it is GMT -6 hours

A.F.F.
26th February 2008, 18:48

Both successfull in terms of rallying, both short in lenght and both amazing gymnastics :p :

DonJippo
26th February 2008, 21:00

What a great day to have a birthday :D

pettersolberg29
26th February 2008, 22:35
Ah yes, I along with everyone else wishes you a very Happy Birthday DonJippo!
Hope you had a good day!

pejda
27th February 2008, 06:15
Some pictures from Mexiko are available here: http://www.ewrc.cz/ewrc/show.php?id=7832

DonJippo
27th February 2008, 08:51
Less than two days to go and wrc.com still missing timetable and entry list of the event on their webpages. And on overview page under title of Mexico 2005 Sola crash you get to see a clip of Sunday stage in NORF 2007... :rolleyes:

turves
27th February 2008, 09:33
Less than two days to go and wrc.com still missing timetable and entry list of the event on their webpages. And on overview page under title of Mexico 2005 Sola crash you get to see a clip of Sunday stage in NORF 2007... :rolleyes:

Did you not realise that WRC.com stands for We'reReallyCr@p.com... :laugh:

Tom206wrc
27th February 2008, 09:43

If Atkinson wins, then Wilson Jr finishes 2nd and Rautenbach 3rd overall :p :

jonas_mcrae
27th February 2008, 10:26
Some pictures from Mexiko are available here: http://www.ewrc.cz/ewrc/show.php?id=7832

oh yes good old mexico...

hope you guys there are having lots of fun.

for me its sunny england right now... :(

turves
27th February 2008, 11:30
If Atkinson wins, then Wilson Jr finishes 2nd and Rautenbach 3rd overall :p :

that would be worth a trip to the betting shop!

tmx
27th February 2008, 13:35
the title of this thread makes me thirsty for some corona.

N
27th February 2008, 14:50
ah, the first rally of this season that I won't be attending, :(

Koppomsbo
27th February 2008, 15:40
the title of this thread makes me thirsty for some corona.

The sponsorship starts paying off ;)

Alink2
27th February 2008, 15:55
Just to let everyone know

Rally Results magazine Issue 09 has 47 pages devoted to Rallye Monte Carlo available now from http://www.myrallyresults.com

Includes Entry List, timing, all the stage times, stage notes, retirements, penalties & exclusions, final classification, and loads of cracking photos.

Swedish Rally will also have about 47 pages, including all the above Available on March 11. Also includes 37 pages on Rallye Sunseeker (UK)

Cheers

Paul

DonJippo
27th February 2008, 20:27
Less than two days to go and wrc.com still missing timetable and entry list of the event on their webpages.

You can find these now from wrc.com :eek:

WRC1
28th February 2008, 06:40
hi, i am faster than wrc.com.....ok that is not difficult ;o))

in the calendar section of my page you can find a timetable in MEZ the starting list and the sheduled eurosport tv times of the corona rally mexico 2008

http://www.rallyepics.at/index.php/component/option,com_jcalpro/Itemid,27/extmode,view/extid,93/

regards

wrc1

Karbonyl
28th February 2008, 15:25
We just got hot news from shakedown - Loeb's engine is after Sweden gone again, the team is going to replace it with new engine.

http://www.autosport.cz/clanek.php?cl=6098

Roy
28th February 2008, 15:30
We just got hot news from shakedown - Loeb's engine is after Sweden gone again, the team is going to replace it with new engine.

http://www.autosport.cz/clanek.php?cl=6098

:eek: that new engine is good, huh? What now. Do he avoid a penalty. I don't understand these engine rules.

Karbonyl
28th February 2008, 15:36
I'm not sure, but I think, that the 5 mins penalty is connected only with the pairing rule, which wasn't broke this time...

PLuto
28th February 2008, 15:41
hi, i am faster than wrc.com.....ok that is not difficult ;o))

in the calendar section of my page you can find a timetable in MEZ the starting list and the sheduled eurosport tv times of the corona rally mexico 2008

http://www.rallyepics.at/index.php/component/option,com_jcalpro/Itemid,27/extmode,view/extid,93/

regards

wrc1

Timetable in "our time zone" you can find more than three weeks here: http://www.vysledky-rally.cz/

N.O.T
28th February 2008, 15:42
Citroens 2008 revised engine doesn't look promising......

Brother John
28th February 2008, 15:44
I'm not sure, but I think, that the 5 mins penalty is connected only with the pairing rule, which wasn't broke this time...

But the question is how many engines can a team use this year? :p :

N
28th February 2008, 15:52
Why would he still have the engine from Sweden at Mexico? Don't they rebuild the engines every two rallies (paired events)??

Roy
28th February 2008, 15:57
Why would he still have the engine from Sweden at Mexico? Don't they rebuild the engines every two rallies (paired events)??

No the seal may not be broken. Citroen paired Monte with Sweden and probably Mexico with Argentina.

No rebuild.

Mr Lopez
28th February 2008, 16:15
Loeb blew engine on shakedown. Will start with 5 minute penalty. Nothing to do with Swedish rally, his engine was sealed yesterday with no penalty as he retired from Sweden. However they will now have to change the engine again hence the penalty.

Karbonyl
28th February 2008, 16:24
Loeb had a new engine for Mexico, should be paired with Argentina. It's NOT the same engine like in Sweden. He shouldn't get the 5 minutes penalty, because at this moment the team is in the beginning of the pairing link and at this moment it IS ALLOWED to replace the engine without penalty.

pucky54
28th February 2008, 16:29
He already had selected the engine for the two rallies yesterday. If they change it now, he has to start with an other one. So there should be a penalty or am I wrong?

Otherwise they always could change the engine after the first events shakedown

jparker
28th February 2008, 16:40
It looks like Citroen is starting new link and Mexico is the first rally in that link. If it's not, they are going to get 5 min penalty for this engine replacement.
Normally Manu team will start new link with new engine, so I don't undarstand what Citroen are doing. I guess they put new engine and it failed.

jparker
28th February 2008, 16:44
Loeb blew engine on shakedown. Will start with 5 minute penalty. Nothing to do with Swedish rally, his engine was sealed yesterday with no penalty as he retired from Sweden. However they will now have to change the engine again hence the penalty.

Loeb had a new engine for Mexico, should be paired with Argentina. It's NOT the same engine like in Sweden. He shouldn't get the 5 minutes penalty, because at this moment the team is in the beginning of the pairing link and at this moment it IS ALLOWED to replace the engine without penalty.

Well, if Citroen linked Monte, Sweded, and Mexico, then Mr Lopez is correct, but I don't think that's the case.

If Citroen is starting new link in Mexico, then Karbonyl is correct.

dimviii
28th February 2008, 16:45
the engines are not sealed before shakedown?

if so he must be with 5min penalty

shakedown is part of rally mexico.

pucky54
28th February 2008, 16:47

thats my word

urabus-denoS2000
28th February 2008, 16:51
Is there going to be a live Super special on WRC.com???

DonJippo
28th February 2008, 17:05

Here is what the rule says:

20.3 Change of an engine
20.3.1 Between Scrutineering and starting park
For cars entered by a Manufacturer or a Manufacturer Team, in the case of engine failure between scrutineering and the start of the Rally, and only in
that case, it will be permitted to replace that engine with a spare engine.

If this engine change takes place during the first rally of a Link, no penalty will be applied. If it takes place during the second or third rally of a Link, a 5-minute penalty will be applied. Only one spare engine per rally and per Manufacturer is allowed. The identification numbers of the seals must be declared at scrutineering.

Assuming this is the first rally of the link, which I believe it is, there is not going to be any penalty for Seb.

jparker
28th February 2008, 17:12

The engines are not sealed on per rally base. They are sealed on per link base. It all depends on how each team have linked the events. Engines are sealed before the start of the first rally of a link, and must remain sealed to the last rally of a link.
In case Citroen starts new link, then the engine has been sealed BEFORE shakedown. Now it could be replaced with spare one, without penalty.

In case Citroen continues previouse link, then the engine should be sealed long before Mexico, and now it has to be replaced. If that's the case, Mexico is not the first event of a link, thereofre 5 min penalty will apply.

consti
28th February 2008, 17:12
nobody can understand the rules of the fia (at least not an average fan)
so how do they want to build a fanbase if it's way to complicated to find out if loeb has to start with a penalty?
nevertheless i hope he doesn't have to start with extra five minutes as i think he hassn't had the best luck these last rallys and it would really screw up my pickems again ;)

DonJippo
28th February 2008, 17:17
nobody can understand the rules of the fia (at least not an average fan)
so how do they want to build a fanbase if it's way to complicated to find out if loeb has to start with a penalty?

There is nothing wrong with the rules but FIA or teams should let people know how teams have linked events, then we would know straight away if there is going to be a penalty or not.

dimviii
28th February 2008, 17:20
so how can we know which rallies each manufacture has choose?

anybody with info?

wrc(We aRe Crap) has not mention about Loeb engine failure...really crap

Micke_VOC
28th February 2008, 17:33
Have anyone seen the shakedown times ???

urabus-denoS2000
28th February 2008, 18:59
It says that the Super Specials 1 starts at 16,33h and Super Special 2 16.38h?
Can anyone explain that and will it be live on the Internet.
BTW,if it will be on wrc.com, then tomorow the first Super special will be at 00,33 ,CET.

kakus
28th February 2008, 19:03
20.3 Change of an engine
20.3.1 Between Scrutineering and starting park
For cars entered by a Manufacturer or a Manufacturer Team, in the case of engine failure between scrutineering and the start of the Rally, and only in
that case, it will be permitted to replace that engine with a spare engine.

If this engine change takes place during the first rally of a Link, no penalty will be applied. If it takes place during the second or third rally of a Link, a 5-minute penalty will be applied. Only one spare engine per rally and per Manufacturer is allowed. The identification numbers of the seals must be declared at scrutineering.

On the run-out to the 5.13km test stage, Sébastien and Daniel felt a fall in power and the engine then began to fire on just three cylinders. They immediately called Citroën Sport and they were asked to perform a u-turn and drive back to service. On their return, the decision was taken to swap engines. "There was a doubt, so the team preferred to replace the engine," explained Sébastien. "Changing engines is permitted by the regulations and we shouldn’t take any penalties." Once the defending World Champions’ C4 WRC is running again, they will have to contest the shakedown stage at least once.

Citroën Sport

chryby
28th February 2008, 19:04
superspecial stage will be running at 23.33 CET (Czech Republic, Croatia...)
different between Mexico and Middle Europe is 7 hours ;)

urabus-denoS2000
28th February 2008, 19:42
OK,thanks
I just read it from the magazine, I didnt check it.

N
28th February 2008, 20:04
this is what it says on wrc.com

WRC manufacturer teams are limited to five engines per car for the 2008 season and the FIA stipulates five pairs of rallies which must use the same engine. Additionally, teams must submit their own list of rallies intended to be run with the same engine. This system effectively means that each engine is used for three ‘linked’ rallies.

Regulations permit engine changes in the case of failure between scrutineering and the start of a rally, but a five minute penalty is applied if this swap takes place during the second or third ‘linked’ event.

The engine that failed in Loeb’s car was a brand new unit; a replacement for the one which was damaged in his crash on the previous round in Sweden. Regulations state that engines may be swapped without penalty on the first linked rally.

Tomi
28th February 2008, 20:26

A.F.F.
28th February 2008, 20:41
Has Lady Fortuna changed her target ??? Loeb and time penalty in the same sentence doesn't rhime.

pejda
28th February 2008, 20:47
Shakedown times - http://www.ewrc.cz/ewrc/show.php?id=7841

Tom206wrc
28th February 2008, 20:56
Citroens 2008 revised engine doesn't look promising......

Clear :mark:

Larry_Japan
28th February 2008, 20:56
Petter's Shakedown times massively improved when they gave him the same damper settings as Atkinson. Before that, the car "didn't work".

jonkka
28th February 2008, 21:02
It says that the Super Specials 1 starts at 16,33h and Super Special 2 16.38h?
Can anyone explain that

Likely it's just change of lanes, each driver pair drives one complete loop and then they change lanes and drive another loop before next pair comes to do the same.

N.O.T
28th February 2008, 21:56
Any official word on Loebs penalty ??

N.O.T
28th February 2008, 21:58
rally.gr mentions there is no penalty since the mexico engine is a brand new unit.

J4MIE
28th February 2008, 22:14
Would assume that it is the start of a new "link" for Citroen, so they shouldn't get a penalty.

But now we will have to keep track how many engines are used per car for the season, as if I remember right there is a limit of 5?

But I agree that the linked events should be made available so everyone knows what's what.

Raini
28th February 2008, 22:27
loeb got penalty?

http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=481&desc=Five%20minute%20penalty%20for%20Loeb

miksu
28th February 2008, 22:33
seems like even FIA doesnt know how the rules are

ste898
28th February 2008, 22:40
Loeb deffo not having the luck at the moment......

SubaruNorway
28th February 2008, 22:43
haha this is hilarious "the Stewards decided that this rally is the third link nominated by Citroen and applied a five-minute penalty"

Who's is deciding what rallys are linked? :p

ZequeArgentina
28th February 2008, 23:02
This is embarrasing for the FIA, but things are starting to get more than difficult for Sebastian.
5 minutes!!! he would only be fighting for a 4th or 5th position with some good number of retirings.

And Citroen for the championship?????????? woow what a strabge thing all these sudden sorprises from Loeb-Citroen duo!!!

Mr Lopez
28th February 2008, 23:17

Listen to me people.....

Camelopard
28th February 2008, 23:28
Maybe Citroen have a greatly reduced budget compared to the amount of money that they have thrown at the WRC in previous years and it is starting to show.

Didn't someone say at the end of last year that the new MD/CEO of Citroen wasn't a motorsport fan and that they would be looking at reducing costs in that area?

Anyway, in my highly biased ( :p :) opinion it makes for a nice change for everything not to be going Seb's way!

I wonder if Marcus is having second thoughts about retiring :) !

Mr Lopez
28th February 2008, 23:34
7. Federico Villagra Munchis WRT Ford Focus WRC 07 2:55.2
8. Mikko Hirvonen BP Ford Abu Dhabi Ford Focus WRC 07 2:55.7
9. Sebastien Loeb Citroen Total WRT Citroen C4 WRC 2:56.0
10. Matthew Wilson Stobart Ford Ford Focus WRC 07 2:57.6

Go Federico !

gloomyDAY
28th February 2008, 23:56
Seb is not getting a penalty because the original engine was refitted.

I cannot wait to upload some footage of the Citroen guys on scooters!
Daniel Elena was riding around on Sebs mountain bike as well.

DonJippo
29th February 2008, 00:38
But now we will have to keep track how many engines are used per car for the season, as if I remember right there is a limit of 5?

You can always repair a broken engine don't think this limitation will become a problem until engine blocks starts to explode?

jparker
29th February 2008, 00:39
Listen to me people.....

Hold on Mr Lopez, you said "Sweden has nothing do do with it". From what we hear now Sweden and Mexico are in the same link.
It looks like the article in wrc.com is written by somebody that is not very clear with the rules. Using terminology like "third link nominated by Citroen" is simply incorrect, it should say "third rally of first link".

DonJippo
29th February 2008, 00:48
seems like even FIA doesnt know how the rules are

I think the problem is on the interpretation of the rule by Stewards of the meeting, who happen to be following gentlemen:

The stewards of the meeting are:
Chairman: Nazir Hoosein (IN)
Steward: Bo Swaner (S)
ASN Steward: Roberto Arnstein (MEX)Mr Hoosein has been involved in many controversial decisions in motorsport including the one in Silverstone 1998, more about him over here: http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/cref-hoonaz.html

JAM
29th February 2008, 01:27
Citroen decide to fit again the original engine.... no 5 min penalty :D

jparker
29th February 2008, 01:27
Base on the latest news from wrc.com
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=482&desc=Original%20engine%20re-fitted%20to%20Loeb’s%20car
here is what I think happened.
First, it appears that Citroen have linked Monte, Sweden, and Mexico.
After Sweden Citroen broke the seal and repaired the engine. According to regulations, they are allowed to do so. On Wednesday the engine was sealed again. Today that engine had problems and Citroen decided to replace it. Unfortunately since this is third rally in the link, they got 5 min penalty for that. In order to avoid 5 min penalty, Citroen decides to put back the original engine. Since that engine is still sealed, the 5 min penalty no longer applies.

tmx
29th February 2008, 03:01
Unfortunate, I was looking for the chance to see how Mikko has develop to fight with Loeb on gravel.

ShiftingGears
29th February 2008, 05:42
I think the problem is on the interpretation of the rule by Stewards of the meeting, who happen to be following gentlemen:

Mr Hoosein has been involved in many controversial decisions in motorsport including the one in Silverstone 1998, more about him over here: http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/cref-hoonaz.html

You think he would've learned but he kept making stupid calls in F1 and now the WRC is burdened by him.

GigiGalliNo1
29th February 2008, 05:52
wait wait wait which engine is going in Loeb C4? From what rallye?

Also.... that means he might retire in this rally? :D

Brother John
29th February 2008, 06:13
Peter Baert on 29/2/2008, This is a reliable source, Peter Baert has good direct contact with Sven Smeets (Team manager Citroën)!
http://www.pitstoptv.info/pitstop/?p=4148
Loeb will start rally Mexico with the "old" engine.
After Loeb had got 5 minutes sentence time because of engine exchanges on the shakedown, has Citroën decides to put previous engine back in the C4 for this way to escape the time sentence .
Citroën have carried out a breakdown service, repaired the fuel system of Loebs engine.
The team under the guidance of Sven Smeets now gambles that the engine will continue during the rally.
The engine was new and replaced after a head role damage in the rally of Sweden.
In any case the stewards have decided to scold the 5 minutes penalty time.

Mr Lopez
29th February 2008, 08:42
Hold on Mr Lopez, you said "Sweden has nothing do do with it". From what we hear now Sweden and Mexico are in the same link.
It looks like the article in wrc.com is written by somebody that is not very clear with the rules. Using terminology like "third link nominated by Citroen" is simply incorrect, it should say "third rally of first link".

Sweden has nothing to do with it. Once a team retires from a rally (ie no superally etc) then any links to other events are redundant

Tom206wrc
29th February 2008, 08:44
Pictures by our hungarian friends :p :

http://www.duen.hu/foto.php?o=foto_resz&id=1457

DonJippo
29th February 2008, 09:12
Sweden has nothing to do with it. Once a team retires from a rally (ie no superally etc) then any links to other events are redundant

Not exactly so. In case Mexico would have been first event of a link this engine change would not have caused any penalty but as it was not the case, meaning Sweden and Mexico are part of same link, Loeb was given a 5min penalty.

turves
29th February 2008, 09:16
Some pictures from shakedown can be found here

http://www.sutton-images.com/

jonas_mcrae
29th February 2008, 09:28
and some pics from ewrc.cz
have to love those guys...

http://www.ewrc.cz/ewrc/fotogalery.php?events=316&fotograf=2&all=1

Viking
29th February 2008, 09:46
Loeb will start rally Mexico with the "old" engine.
After Loeb had got 5 minutes sentence time because of engine exchanges on the shakedown, has Citroën decides to put previous engine back in the C4 for this way to escape the time sentence .
Citroën have carried out a breakdown service, repaired the fuel system of Loebs engine.

Do I understand this right? Citroën changed engine and drove shakedown then changed back to "old" engine? If this is the case can other teams also use different engines on SD and save the one they will use in the rally?
I smell protests :bandit:

N.O.T
29th February 2008, 09:56
This was a rsiky chopice by citroen...a 5 min penalty could mean that Loeb could achieve a podium by day 3....but now they risk retirememt.....

mdesign
29th February 2008, 10:05
This was a rsiky chopice by citroen...a 5 min penalty could mean that Loeb could achieve a podium by day 3....but now they risk retirememt.....
For what it seems they risk retirement anyway, the engines are unreliable.

airhead
29th February 2008, 10:20
Whether Loeb had a problem or not, Citroen entered the Corona Rally of Mexico with a new engine. Loeb’s engine was replaced AFTER Sweden so he is liable to a 5minute penalty.

The rules clearly state that:
If this engine change takes place DURING the first rally of a Link, no penalty will be applied.
If it takes place during the second or third rally of a Link, a 5-minute penalty will be applied.

And guys, you must remember that it takes THREE stewards for a decision to be made, not Mr. Hoosein alone.

Xsara Fan
29th February 2008, 10:21
Whether Loeb had a problem or not, Citroen entered the Corona Rally of Mexico with a new engine. Loeb’s engine was replaced AFTER Sweden so he is liable to a 5minute penalty.

The rules clearly state that:
If this engine change takes place DURING the first rally of a Link, no penalty will be applied.
If it takes place during the second or third rally of a Link, a 5-minute penalty will be applied.

And guys, you must remember that it takes THREE stewards for a decision to be made, not Mr. Hoosein alone.

Loeb has retired at Sweden.

DonJippo
29th February 2008, 10:39
Do I understand this right? Citroën changed engine and drove shakedown then changed back to "old" engine? If this is the case can other teams also use different engines on SD and save the one they will use in the rally?

Yes good point, why were they allowed to change the old engine back after SD? Surely this is something other teams may have difficult to digest.

Tomi
29th February 2008, 10:41

In theory yes, hoostein guy is the one who is in every rally, the mexican guy only at the home event, the swede propably cant make decitions if he cant "disskutera" first a week or 2.

N.O.T
29th February 2008, 10:43
the swede propably cant make decitions if he cant "disskutera" first a week or 2.

LOL

kleisj
29th February 2008, 11:03
Time please for the first ss to start?

Karbonyl
29th February 2008, 11:10
15:28 for central Europe, 16:28 for Greece I guess :)

Roy
29th February 2008, 11:22
Times are on WRC.com even a clock with local time on the site (left above).

kleisj
29th February 2008, 11:31
Thank you guys.

So Subaru will run the event with the new suspension package? Do we have any info if they found real improvement after the test session they had?

jonkka
29th February 2008, 11:32
If shakedown times are anything to go by, they did. I doubt those for usual reasons.

Roy
Thank you guys.

So Subaru will run the event with the new suspension package? Do we have any info if they found real improvement after the test session they had?

Reiger suspension or new settings with 'old' supplier?

Tomi
Thank you guys.

not anything relaiable anyway.

wrc_flipper
29th February 2008, 12:16
Weekend times in Mexico and GMT

Friday...
SS1 Alfaro 1 - 8:28:00 (GMT 14:28)
SS2 Ortega 1 - 9:51:00 (GMT 15:51)
SS3 El Cubilete 1 - 10:39:00 (GMT 16:39)
SS4 Alfaro 2 - 13:02:00 (GMT 19:02)
SS5 Ortega 2 - 14:25:00 (GMT 20:25)
SS6 El Cubilete 2 - 15:13:00 (GMT 21:13)
SS7 Super Special 1 - 16:33:00 (GMT 22:33)
SS8 Super Special 2 - 16:38:00 (GMT 22:38)

Saturday...
SS9 Ibarrilla 1 - 8:24:00 (GMT 14:24)
SS10 Duarte 1 - 9:47:00 (GMT 15:47)
SS11 Derramadero 1 - 10:38:00 (GMT 16:38)
SS12 Ibarrilla 2 - 13:12:00 (GMT 19:12)
SS13 Duarte 2 - 14:35:00 (GMT 20:35)
SS14 Derramadero 2 - 15:26:00 (GMT 21:26)
SS15 Super Special 3 - 16:41:00 (GMT 22:41)
SS16 Super Special 4 - 16:46:00 (GMT 22:46)

Sunday...
SS17 Leon - 8:28:00 (GMT 14:28)
SS18 Guanajuatito - 8:56:00 (GMT 14:56)
SS19 Comanjilla - 10:19:00 (GMT 16:19)
SS20 Super Special 5 - 11:34:00 (GMT 17:34)

World Rally Radio on air each day at 8:00am (GMT 14:00)

A.F.F.
29th February 2008, 12:21
Alright. Two hours time to do something... What? I just don't know.

wrc_flipper
29th February 2008, 13:07
Is there going to be a live Super special on WRC.com???

Nothing on wrc.com yet - but Rally Mexico website are showing the Supper specials - http://www.rallymexico.com/live/index.php

pino
29th February 2008, 13:29
Alright. Two hours time to do something... What? I just don't know.

How about some home-work for your lovely wife ? :p :

DonJippo
29th February 2008, 13:41
I've lost all my important links, splits, results, etc, so someone please?

DonJippo
29th February 2008, 13:42
How about some home-work for your lovely wife ? :p :

For or with :angel:

Roy
29th February 2008, 13:43
I've lost all my important links, splits, results, etc, so someone please?

page 1 of this thread?

DonJippo
29th February 2008, 13:49
page 1 of this thread?

Karbonyl
29th February 2008, 13:53
Hello people again! :)

I invite you to our results site http://www.vysledky-rally.cz/vysledky/?id=36 with driver's comments.

Enjoy!

Finni
29th February 2008, 14:25
I am probably dumb but i don't find split section from wrc.com..

Mauri A
29th February 2008, 14:27
In theory yes, hoostein guy is the one who is in every rally, the mexican guy only at the home event, the swede propably cant make decitions if he cant "disskutera" first a week or 2.
Know him as the assistant team manager of Saab factory team from 70s, wonder how you knew this!

DonJippo
29th February 2008, 14:29
I am probably dumb but i don't find split section from wrc.com..

Highly possible...but seriously when clicking splits on wrc.com I get this message: Firefox can't find the server at http://www.wrc.premiumtv.co.uk. :confused:

mdesign
29th February 2008, 14:30
find split section from wrc.com..
Try http://wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=405&season=2008&rally_id=MEX, and you'll have 'Split times' under 'Stage Times', 'Leg Times', 'Retirements', 'Penalties'

Mauri A
29th February 2008, 14:30
Hello people again! :)

I invite you to our results site http://www.vysledky-rally.cz/vysledky/?id=36 with driver's comments.

Enjoy!
Thanks!

Rally Hokkaido
29th February 2008, 14:32
Should SS1 have started by now?

jonkka
29th February 2008, 14:34
Yes, three minutes ago...

CABAIO E'LONA
29th February 2008, 14:34
No rally for Triviño?

Corny
29th February 2008, 14:35
Has the stage started already?

Mr Lopez
29th February 2008, 14:36
is anyone getting any splits anywhere??

Tomi
29th February 2008, 14:36
Know him as the assistant team manager of Saab factory team from 70s, wonder how you knew this!

Moi Mauri, sometimes its good to know who actually is behind stupid desitions.

Rally Hokkaido
29th February 2008, 14:37
No. And Rally Radio is playing nice music to sleep by!

Tom206wrc
29th February 2008, 14:39
SS1 started...not the split time services yet though :mark:

Tom206wrc
29th February 2008, 14:40
No rally for Triviño?

:confused:

Tom206wrc
29th February 2008, 14:42
Why didn't Edith Weiss started(she's not on the start list of WRC site) ?? :(

Rally Hokkaido
29th February 2008, 14:44
On RR Becks says,
Peter quickets
then J-M a.4S
Mikko +8 on J-M

Micke_VOC
Peter Solberg before Atkin on 1 split...

latvala before , loeb, hirovnen on split 2

jonkka
Why didn't Edith Weiss started(she's not on the start list of WRC site) ?? :(

I don't know. But I know that when she's on the entry list, the odds are nine to one that she won't start. That's a fact.

Micke_VOC
29th February 2008, 14:46
14km split
Petter
Latvala 1,4s
Hirvonen 7s

Rally Hokkaido
29th February 2008, 14:46
Petter -1.4
on J-M at 14km point

MikeD
29th February 2008, 14:47
I would really love if we all who listens to WRR would send mails with the text "Please - Less music, more rally talk"

bennizw
29th February 2008, 14:48
Anyone got splits? If so from where?

Mauri A
29th February 2008, 14:48
Petter -1.4
on J-M at 14km point
Looks like he´s driving without shockabsorbers!

jonkka
29th February 2008, 14:49
I would really love if we all who listens to WRR would send mails with the text "Please - Less music, more rally talk"

Emphasis on rally talk, instead of stoopid music discussions, football, latest fashion or whatever...

jonkka
29th February 2008, 14:52
1st one should be through now - or soon...

CABAIO E'LONA
29th February 2008, 14:52

Ricardo Trivino, he was going to drive a Peugeot 206 WRC in this rally...

jonkka
29th February 2008, 14:55
Latvala intends to win Mexico as well?? :eek:

Micke_VOC
29th February 2008, 14:56
Anyone got splits? If so from where?

The Rallyradio...between **** ing music )=

Mr Lopez
29th February 2008, 14:57
Mikko +9.8 to JM

Koppomsbo
http://www.vysledky-rally.cz/vysledky/?id=36 works now

Rally Hokkaido
Chris by 1.57 from J-M!

Micke_VOC
1. MLATVALA J.-M. / ANTTILA M.
FORD Focus RS WRC 07 A8 14:14.6 00:00.0
00:00.0
2. MATKINSON Ch. / PREVOT S.
SUBARU Impreza WRC 2006 A8 14:17.6 00:03.0
00:03.0
3. MGALLI G. / BERNACCHINI G.
FORD Focus RS WRC 07 A8 14:21.9 00:07.3
00:04.3
4. MLOEB S. / ELENA D.
CITROEN C4 WRC A8 14:22.0 00:07.4
00:00.1
5. MHIRVONEN M. / LEHTINEN J.
FORD Focus RS WRC 07 A8 14:24.4 00:09.8
00:02.4
6. MSOLBERG P. / MILLS P.
SUBARU Impreza WRC 2006 A8 14:26.0 00:11.4
00:01.6

consti
muaha latvala is again strong...

Mr Lopez
29th February 2008, 14:58
What happened Petter on last 10km?

CABAIO E'LONA
29th February 2008, 14:58

Ricardo Trivino, he was going to drive a Peugeot 206 WRC in this rally...

Rally Hokkaido
29th February 2008, 14:59
Chris by 1.57 from J-M!
Sorry, that's according to wrc.com

HaCo
29th February 2008, 15:00
Where is Sordo?

jonkka
29th February 2008, 15:02
Where is Sordo?

He's coming next EDIT: No, he's stopped in stage! :eek:

bennizw
29th February 2008, 15:03
Stopped.

Roy
The Rallyradio...between **** ing music )=

From wrc.com:
Not sure what to say this weekend, I'm not in charge anymore, Mikko Hirvonen is. Yes, you read that correctly, BP Ford Abu Dhabi driver Mikko Hirvonen is in charge of the station this weekend. He selects the music, interviews people and answers any questions you may have.
.... Becs

Finni
Loeb probably waits saturday before he starts pushing. He is just taking it easy and picking up good road position, I guess. Latvala pushes well but I am not so sure if it's smartest thing to take first place for Saturday.

Mk2_Escort_RS
I like the http://www.zone.ee site better.....

Rally Hokkaido
Sordo may have gone off

Koppomsbo
29th February 2008, 15:04
Where is Sordo?

off road

jonkka
Sordo is off, Petter hit donkey and lost brakes...

MikeD
Sordo has stopped and Petter has hit a dog. This could be a nightmare rally for Citroen.

Rally Hokkaido
Garde also stopped near Sordo, got going again lost 6 mins

Rally Hokkaido
29th February 2008, 15:05
Petter hit animal and has lost hydraulic fluid

bennizw
29th February 2008, 15:06
Loeb said he was going flat out, so maybe a lack of confidence?

Mirek
29th February 2008, 15:13
Or maybe he has lower power so as to reach finish with that engine?

jonkka
29th February 2008, 15:14
]Or maybe he has lower power so as to reach finish with that engine?

That would be logical, even more so now as Sordo is out

Mauri A
29th February 2008, 15:15
]Or maybe he has lower power so as to reach finish with that engine?
Good guess!

noel157
29th February 2008, 15:15
Loeb on 3 cylinders? Shouldn't be a big problem.....................

Koppomsbo
29th February 2008, 15:16
according to pgs homepage he saw sordo on stage but not the car

A.F.F.
29th February 2008, 15:17
What's wrong with Garde ?

Mr Lopez
29th February 2008, 15:18
rumour is that sordo hit a dog too then went off the road.....

Micke_VOC
29th February 2008, 15:18

Motorproblems according PG´s Homepage

Rally Hokkaido
29th February 2008, 15:19
Garde has throttle problem

DonJippo

Nothing wrong with Garde it's the car again...throttle not working..

N.O.T
Disaster after just 1 stage..Loeb will probably retire after a couple of stages....Sordo ditched it.....Solberg visited the zoo and gardes car blew.....

A.F.F.
29th February 2008, 15:22
Disaster after just 1 stage..Loeb will probably retire after a couple of stages....Sordo ditched it.....Solberg visited the zoo and gardes car blew.....

And if Latvala runs away too far after leg one, this'll be the repeat of Sweden.

Rallye_106
29th February 2008, 15:23
Hi everybody! What is the time difference? 6 h? What happened to Prokop, according to ewrc he stopped on stage?

EDIT: Off road, damaged front of the car

Tom206wrc
29th February 2008, 15:24
CRAZY time by Sébastien Ogier on SS1 JWRC !!!! :eek: :eek:

I knew he would impress everybody quickly !!! :D :p : :bounce:

Rally Hokkaido
According to RR Prokop had an off, but managed to reach the stage finish, with front end damage

Mirek
Prokop probably crashed. He is said to have damaged car. He lost a looot of time.

And Kopecky stopped too. Disaster for us :(

Rallye_106
29th February 2008, 15:26
]Prokop probably crashed. He is said to have damaged car. He lost a looot of time.

And Kopecky stopped too. Disaster for us :(

Ewrc says: Off road, damaged front of the car (Prokop)

Shame for Kopecky, I was looking forward seeing him in action. :mad:

Mr Lopez
29th February 2008, 15:28
CRAZY time by Sébastien Ogier on SS1 JWRC !!!! :eek: :eek:

I knew he would impress everybody quickly !!! :D :p : :bounce:

incredible time. whats his history Tom?

Tom206wrc
29th February 2008, 15:30
incredible time. whats his history Tom?

His history is the french Peugeot 206 Cup from 2005 to 2007 with lots of rallies won :D

Mirek
29th February 2008, 15:31
Rallye_106: They can't get that info from other source than radio I'm listening too... ;)

Mr Lopez
29th February 2008, 15:31
His history is the french Peugeot 206 Cup from 2005 to 2007 with lots of rallies won :D

is the 206 cup run on gravel?

Tom206wrc
29th February 2008, 15:36
is the 206 cup run on gravel?

Both, tarmac and gravel, and Ogier won rallies on both surfaces too, he's an allrounder like a certain Loeb ;)

ProRally
29th February 2008, 15:37
what a start to the rally ....

ZequeArgentina
29th February 2008, 15:39
Triviño is rightthere, just 1 second after Conrad Rautenbach.

Rally Hokkaido
29th February 2008, 15:40
Jari-Matti says he had a relaxed drive in SS1

Rally Hokkaido
29th February 2008, 15:42
Seb says couldn't go any faster, no problems with engine or handling

N.O.T
29th February 2008, 15:49
Hmmm.... Latvala is making the most of the road position then if Loeb and Hirvonen went as fast as they could....have to wait and see how the gap will end....interesting to see Latvala so fat nice o have a 3 way battle on the gravel rallies....Sordo is a dissapointment :(

Ogier surely turned some heads....good job.

Pity for the Czech guys :(

A.F.F.
29th February 2008, 15:49
Second stage should start in about two minutes.

jonkka
29th February 2008, 15:51
Seb's engine sounds interesting

jonkka
29th February 2008, 15:53
Hmmm.... Latvala is making the most of the road position then if Loeb and Hirvonen went as fast as they could

Road position? Mikko is 1st on the road, J-ML is 2nd and Loeb 3rd!

DonJippo
29th February 2008, 15:58
JML 1,2 sec faster than Mikko on split 1

Rallye_106
29th February 2008, 15:59
JML 1,2 sec faster than Mikko on split 1

Where do u get that?

DonJippo
29th February 2008, 16:00
Loeb .6 sec faster than JML on split 1

DonJippo
29th February 2008, 16:01
Where do u get that?

wrc.com

Mr Lopez
29th February 2008, 16:02
go gigi !

Mirek
29th February 2008, 16:03
It seems like Kopecky's Punto have broken piston rod which would mean probably the end of all Mexico rally :(

Micke_VOC
29th February 2008, 16:04
Split 2
Loeb
Latvala +1
Hirvonen +3.9

KKS
29th February 2008, 16:04
poor splits at wrc.com :(

+2min at every splits :D

DonJippo
29th February 2008, 16:05
Galli .2 sec behind Loeb on split2

Mr Lopez
29th February 2008, 16:07
JML losing some time to Mikko towards the end of the stage

MikeD
29th February 2008, 16:09
Order restored! Loeb is showing his speed again. Let's hope his engine will last the distance.

A.F.F.
29th February 2008, 16:10
And Loeb gaining a lot.

Mr Lopez
29th February 2008, 16:12
who starts behind Toni? They will catch his dust for sure

Tom206wrc
29th February 2008, 16:13
Galli has final time on SS2 but not Loeb ??? :confused:

pucky54
Unfortunately PG

KKS
Loeb?

jiipee64
29th February 2008, 16:14
no time for Loeb????????

turves
29th February 2008, 16:15
WRC.com showing Latvala, Hirvonen and Galli times...

No Loeb..?

Koppomsbo
Unfortunately PG

already past him

N.O.T
where do you see splits ??

turves
29th February 2008, 16:16
Order restored! Loeb is showing his speed again. Let's hope his engine will last the distance.

You may regret your words...

Tom206wrc
Solberg P. is here but still no Loeb :s

N.O.T
Loeb didn't finish the stage.....yet...

ProRally
]It seems like Kopecky's Punto have broken piston rod which would mean probably the end of all Mexico rally :(

the air if very thin in Leon due to altitude...

Mk2_Escort_RS
29th February 2008, 16:17
Still no Loeb...

jonkka
29th February 2008, 16:17
WRR claims Loeb is through but...

N.O.T
29th February 2008, 16:18
results stopped everywhere....

A.F.F.
29th February 2008, 16:18

http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=409&season=2008&rally_id=MEX

DonJippo
29th February 2008, 16:19

http://www.wrc.com

N.O.T
29th February 2008, 16:20
thanx....

Koppomsbo
henning stopped??

Mr Lopez
henning lost a lot

turves
29th February 2008, 16:23

WRC.com doesn't have the splits, but is showing the results in the Stage Times section.

jonkka
29th February 2008, 16:23
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=409&season=2008&rally_id=MEX

Firefox and IE7 give white screen running on Vista... :(