PDA

View Full Version : Forsythe to Close, PT to NHL?

dataman1
20th February 2008, 14:30
This was a post on off camber forum this morning. Anyone know anything about this?

BobGarage
20th February 2008, 14:47
throw **** at the wall...see what sticks.

Fangio
20th February 2008, 15:17
Maybe Gerry and Paulie can run a season with celebrities, Atlantics drivers and 200 groupies from the fanatics site.
Yeah, that`s it.

nanders
20th February 2008, 15:36
Maybe Gerry and Paulie can run a season with celebrities, Atlantics drivers and 200 groupies from the fanatics site.
Yeah, that`s it.

"and 200 groupies from the fanatics site"

I'm thinking it's about 400 ....

Paulie can barely afford to run the season or a second car but now he's trying to take over the series?

I can see why these guys want to save some races that could go idle but I don't think all the money in the world could save CCWS. Atlantic's might be savable.

F1boat
20th February 2008, 16:35
Yeah, that`s it.

:rofl:

nigelred5
20th February 2008, 18:17
"and 200 groupies from the fanatics site"

I can see why these guys want to save some races that could go idle but I don't think all the money in the world could save CCWS. Atlantic's might be savable.

I think there may be some merit to that as I speculated in another post. Where does this leave Toronto, Cleveland, Mexico City, Road America and Portland, not to mention the contracts they undoubtedly have with the three races in Europe. Lanigan has spent a lot of money in Houston as well. Surfers can make a go with A1GP but I doubt anyone wants that to happen. I suspect many of the teams sponsorship deals hang on these races. Question is, do thay have the cash?
I also don't see why Atlantics can't return to it's original place at the first step in a development ladder below IPS in a merged series. They used t orun all three series. Atlantics is healthy and the sponsorship they can pull seems to be adequate.

Run both series with some merged races under a combined banner this year, then merge the scheduled NEXT year and either weed out the dead events or schedule them so we have a 20-24 event calendar. The healthier teams can manage both to cover the shortcomings of both fields. I want to see the big boys square off again.

Has it been Forsythe blocking any kind of reconciliation all along?? He has had a somewhat tumultuous history with his teams throughout the CART years and the only championship he has won was with PT when the big boys bolted for the IRL.

Rogelio
20th February 2008, 18:27
I think there may be some merit to that as I speculated in another post. Where does this leave Toronto, Cleveland, Mexico City, Road America and Portland, not to mention the contracts they undoubtedly have with the three races in Europe. Lanigan has spent a lot of money in Houston as well. Surfers can make a go with A1GP but I doubt anyone wants that to happen. I suspect many of the teams sponsorship deals hang on these races. Question is, do thay have the cash?
I also don't see why Atlantics can't return to it's original place at the first step in a development ladder below IPS in a merged series. They used t orun all three series. Atlantics is healthy and the sponsorship they can pull seems to be adequate.

Run both series with some merged races under a combined banner this year, then merge the scheduled NEXT year and either weed out the dead events or schedule them so we have a 20-24 event calendar. The healthier teams can manage both to cover the shortcomings of both fields. I want to see the big boys square off again.

I agree. Champ Car has some good venues that should not be ignored. A merged series needs a combination of street, road and oval courses. The Canadian races are a tremedous success and the owner/s should figure out how to keep those races. Mexico City is a great market, not to mention Adrian Fernandez (still an owner in IRL) could easily turn the race around.

Over the years I really have not watched many IRL races, other than the Indy 500. However, races that I have watched the stands have been virtually empty. I like ovals and it makes for good racing, especially for the television audience. However, we need to strengthen the state of AOWR and we should avoid markets where NASCAR dominates. Perhaps, in 5 years we will be able to compete with NASCAR, but in the mean time we should look elsewhere.

Of course, like most of us on this forum, I favor our race schedule. Let us just hope they do a get job of picking and choosing.

nanders
20th February 2008, 22:56
The Canadian races are a tremedous success and the owner/s should figure out how to keep those races. Mexico City is a great market, not to mention Adrian Fernandez (still an owner in IRL) could easily turn the race around.

I was under the impression the Canadian races were all losing money. I don't think they are a tremendous success unless you consider just having the series run there would be considered a tremendous success.

If they let some of these things go now. Then maybe the few that can really afford a sanctioning fee can then come back a request a race date. This will then be the race(s) they should save.

nigelred5
20th February 2008, 23:29
As enjoyable as Mt Tremblant was to watch, It's so remote I doubt it has a chance to return short term. Toronto has the well publicized title sponsor problems. Maybe a combined series can bring a sponsor and a possible retrn to Montreal. Edmonton has had huge crowds and a unique market where they are essentially the only game in town. The latest says 20 races. '09 could make room for a few more CCWS tracks to return in place of a couple of the less successful IRL events. A combined series may also make some events more enticing. I'm already thinking about going to the Glen.

994ever
21st February 2008, 00:00
I was under the impression the Canadian races were all losing money. I don't think they are a tremendous success unless you consider just having the series run there would be considered a tremendous success.

Mt. Tremblant has no business hosting Champcars (though the slow-moving Dallaras would be a better fit). Edmonton and Toronto are markets in which a unified series would pretty easily find a host sponsor which would solve any real or imagined "losing money" problems.

Now, a few years down the road when it's clear the product is still a loser, that's another story.

millencolin
21st February 2008, 00:15
Surfers can make a go with A1GP but I doubt anyone wants that to happen.

sorry to get off topic... but why do people still think Surfers will become an A1gp event!!!

A1 is staying in Sydney. I have heard nothing from within the Gold Coast Indy that states they are looking at A1. Thier alternative would be the IRL. I guarentee the organisers are watching and waiting, just like we all are, to see the outcome of this merger. But Surfers will remain an Indy-based event, not A1!

nigelred5
21st February 2008, 03:51
sorry to get off topic... but why do people still think Surfers will become an A1gp event!!!

A1 is staying in Sydney. I have heard nothing from within the Gold Coast Indy that states they are looking at A1. Thier alternative would be the IRL. I guarentee the organisers are watching and waiting, just like we all are, to see the outcome of this merger. But Surfers will remain an Indy-based event, not A1!

I have to dig up the links, but that is exactly what I've read in the Aussie press over the last week.

dataman1
28th February 2008, 21:59
I guess the rumor was at least partially true.

ASCAR24/7/365.5
28th February 2008, 22:06
its the end of an era....sad news indeed

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65366