PDA

View Full Version : IRL/CC Merger Power Structure ?

Rodster
20th February 2008, 02:23
It's been a long time since i've been on these forums so forgive me if this question has been asked before.

With the so-called merger what will the power structure look like? I know in the past CC owners wanted a say in the merger while TG wanted complete control. Has any of that changed this time around?

SoCalPVguy
20th February 2008, 02:33
It's been a long time since i've been on these forums so forgive me if this question has been asked before.

With the so-called merger what will the power structure look like? I know in the past CC owners wanted a say in the merger while TG wanted complete control. Has any of that changed this time around?

This is NOT a merger of equals - it is a surrender by the amigos after squandering very possible opportunity to succeed since buying the series in 2004.

As the SI article states " ...Now it appears Champ Car will agree to cease operations, which will allow its teams to accept George's offer of a free Dallara chassis and free Honda engines to make the transition to IndyCar. In addition, IndyCar is expected to get Champ Car's race dates for the Long Beach Grand Prix along with street races in Edmonton, Alberta; Surfer's Paradise Australia. Mexico City and Toronto could be added in 2009.

This would not be a merger of Champ Car and IndyCar because the IndyCar Series will be the only series in competition. And it is not technically an acquisition because IndyCar will not be acquiring all of the assets of Champ Car."

SoCalPVguy
20th February 2008, 02:36
sorry meant to add this part in from the SI article:

"...The proper term would be an "amalgamation" which means Champ Car closes up business and its teams join IndyCar...."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/racing/02/19/indycar.resolution/