PDA

View Full Version : Sad news: Jerry Karl killed in auto accident

Alexamateo
19th February 2008, 06:09
http://www.indianaopenwheel.com/vmessageboard/showthread.php?t=3637

I just saw the news that former USAC/CART Indycar driver Jerry Karl was killed in an auto accident in Maryland. According to his brother, the funeral is Thursday in Dover, PA.

The first major race my dad ever took me to was the 1981 Indy 500, and Jerry was part of that memory. You didn't have to look to know when he went by with that loud 350 Chevy motor drowning out the screaming Cosworths, and in his own modified Karl/McLaren chassis to boot. That day made me a racing fan for life, and Jerry Karl was part of it. :(

F1boat
19th February 2008, 09:02
RIO Mr. Jerry Karl and my sincere condolences :(

Alexamateo
19th February 2008, 12:54
(Jerry Karl),Gerald E. Karl, 66, died Saturday, February 16, 2008, in Baltimore County, Md., as the result of injuries sustained in an automobile accident. He was the loving husband of Linda L. (Loveland) Karl, with whom he celebrated 45 years of marriage April 18, 2007. He was born April 29, 1941, in Jamaica, N.Y., a son of the late Emil A. and Ruth (Burke) Karl.
Gerald was the former owner and operator of Karl Aviation at the Capital City Airport, New Cumberland. He was also a professional race car driver who drove in the Indianapolis 500 six times. He retired from driving in the mid 1980's, but continued in the business as a race car owner. Gerald was a member of the Elks Lodge in Stevensville, Md., Indianapolis 500 Oldtimers Club, and York County Racing Club. He was an avid fisherman and pilot. In addition to his wife, Gerald is survived by a daughter, Donna L. Krumm and her husband, Dave of Oregon, Ill.; a son, Scott E. Karl and his wife, Stacey of Wellsville; eight grandchildren, Elizabeth, Christine, Scotty, Tasha, Terra, James, Paul and Matthew; and a brother, James Karl of Valley Stream , N.Y. He was preceded in death by a son, James E. 'Jimmy' Karl. Relatives and friends are respectfully invited to attend the funeral 11 a.m. Friday and the visitations from 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday and from 10 to 11 a.m. Friday at Emig Funeral Home,
47 N. Queen St., Dover,Pa. Officiating will be the Rev. Larry Hale, pastor of Glenvale Church of God, Marysville. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Injured Drivers Fund of York County Racing Club, 568 Yale St., York, PA 17403. Published in the York Daily Record & York Dispatch on 2/19/2008

something a little more official.

Chris R
19th February 2008, 13:11
Sad news indeed, thanks for the heads up Alex.

indycool
19th February 2008, 13:51
Sad news.....one of the good "little guys"....remember him in Smokey Yunick's Oriente Express at Indy....RIP, Jerry.

http://ydr.inyork.com/ci_8299812?source=most_viewed

Phoenixent
19th February 2008, 18:21
Rest in Peace. :(
We will miss you. Race on with other Greats.

http://shutter09.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/17/001/2F/D7/EA/2B/ohjkmohIIFI8S63y870HX7pRVSbBxLKf0258.jpg
Jerry Karl at Indy 1980

dregsfan
20th February 2008, 02:47
R.I.P. Jerry. My memory of him is holding off Mario at Phoenix. He was driving a stock-block Chevy. Don't remember who Mario was driving for. Afterwards Mario complained about Karl pulling out on him on the straight and not moving over for him in turn 1. That's the day that Mario stopped being a race driver and started being a whiner.

!!WALDO!!
20th February 2008, 03:47
I first saw Jerry in the late 1960's driving the Bulldog Stables "terds" on the National Championship Trail.

Here are all of his 500 starters.http://www.indy500.com/photo/gallery.php?freeText=Jerry+Karl&searchType=freeText

Last of a kind and will be missed by all that knew him, including myself.

DougPANNEBAKER
20th February 2008, 23:01
I was stunned to hear that my old friend and old boss lost his life in a car accident.
To Linda, I am very sorry to hear of the loss.
Scotty, I think of you as my little brother, I am very sorry as well.
Donna, Even though we don't know each other very well, you left after the loss of Jimmy in 83.

My sincere condolences

Doug Pannebaker

Cheryl Trussell
5th May 2008, 21:23
I offer the sincere condolences of entire Walsh Family...I just recently heard the news of the loss from my brother, Frank. Although I haven't seen any of you in a very long time, you are in my thoughts. This is truly a great loss. I will always remember Jerry Karl, he was a great man. You were all like a family to me. I can just imagine what heaven has been like since Jerry Karl and Bill Walsh have been reunited...

With love and prayers for the entire family,

Cheryl (Cheri) Walsh Trussell