PDA

View Full Version : CMR2 WRC Mexico Recce Thread

tannat
18th February 2008, 18:48
Hello all,

This marks the beginning of the recce thread for Mexico (Kenya stages). The purpose of this thread is to help those interested improve their times.

Setup advice is good, but feel free to include advice on driving a stage, noteworthy obstacles, tricky corners, etc. This is meant to give in-depth advice.

Probably best not to mention stage times (actually, it may not be an issue as previous years’ times are available on the Yahoo Groups site), but I think it is okay to note your improvement.

Start running the stages, make notes on anything you think might be of assistance, and feel free to contribute to the thread.

Thanks,

Tannat

tannat
18th February 2008, 19:00
For stages 1 and 2 I find a gearbox setting of +2 rather than +3 the best. Although I bump the limiter a bit on both stages, at +3 it takes the engine too long to spool up and I lose a bit of time. The faster guys may disagree with me on this one.

-5 seems an ideal suspension setting. I hear audible bottoming out of the suspension at -3 ( although I haven't tried -4)

It's worth a bit of time to practice climbing the hill on SS2 after the extended top gear blast on the plain. It isn't straightforward, and you can lose huge amounts of time if you get it wrong.

JTLarsen
18th February 2008, 20:11
-5 seems an ideal suspension setting. I hear audible bottoming out of the suspension at -3 ( although I haven't tried -4)

Normally I would agree with you, but this last week I have been testing the new '07 Focus in Mexico, and have found good speed with the suspention at +4 or +5..

..and thereby also avoided the obligatory (for me at least) roll or two.

JTLarsen
18th February 2008, 20:41
Correction! suspention at +3 or +4

tannat
18th February 2008, 21:28
I get jounced about a bit on SS1 at -3. Trimmed 2 seconds off my time when I went to -5, but didn't try -4.

I rolled once at -5 on that sharp 3 right in the first sector of SS2, but drove it properly the next time with no worries :)

tannat
18th February 2008, 21:33
A note for newbies:

It can (and will) rain on these stages, so it's worth having a go during your recce time with the wet boots on. The stages get quite slippy when it rains...

tannat
19th February 2008, 12:52
It is worth noting that the predominant surface on stages 1-8 is gravel, while on 9-10 it is mud. Don't get caught out on day 1!

I am evil Homer
19th February 2008, 13:25
Suspension +4 JT!!!!!!????? Wow...not tried that at all.

I found that generally keeping it at default or -1 works fine although you could definitely stiffen the car up for the final mud-based stages as they don't have the big jumps. I tend to use +2 on these stages.

I also stiffen the car - normally +2 - for the later stages that have the twisty tarmac section to avoid excess roll and really get the hammer down through those sections. The car does bottom out in places on the dirt but TBH I can't see any effect on overall stage time or damage.

Yep that SS2 climb can make or break the stage time by as much as 5 seconds...mor if you hit the rocks.

tannat
19th February 2008, 14:32

I found that generally keeping it at default or -1 works fine although you could definitely stiffen the car up for the final mud-based stages as they don't have the big jumps. I tend to use +2 on these stages.

I also stiffen the car - normally +2 - for the later stages that have the twisty tarmac section to avoid excess roll and really get the hammer down through those sections. The car does bottom out in places on the dirt but TBH I can't see any effect on overall stage time or damage.

Yep that SS2 climb can make or break the stage time by as much as 5 seconds...mor if you hit the rocks.

I'm going to have a go with these settings-thanks Homer :up:

tannat
19th February 2008, 14:34
Like the hill with the rocks on SS2, be careful taking a tight line entering the bridge on SS5. There is a patch of mud that will send your car for a loop.

Take the big line around and you'll be safe :up:

JTLarsen
19th February 2008, 14:44

Yep, the suspention does not get damaged from it, any damage is from impacts to the side of the wheels.

tannat
19th February 2008, 16:06
Correction! suspention at +3 or +4

That's quite hard. I'll give it a whirl and see what it is about..

What sort of damage is incurred to the suspension and driveshafts?

JTLarsen
19th February 2008, 18:59
That's quite hard. I'll give it a whirl and see what it is about..

Yes it is, but in Mexico (Kenya) you will be taking some very high speed turns, going onto tarmac, and the wheels tend to dig in (turning you over) if you go too wide in the turns.

What sort of damage is incurred to the suspension and driveshafts?

What causes it? Rolls, wall banging, tapping rocks, fences, banks, poles.. impacts from the sides, regular driving doesn't seem to cause damage.

tannat
19th February 2008, 19:49
What causes it? Rolls, wall banging, tapping rocks, fences, banks, poles.. impacts from the sides, regular driving doesn't seem to cause damage.

Actually I was curious about the degree of damage. Do you experience a great deal of it?

JTLarsen
19th February 2008, 20:04
Actually I was curious about the degree of damage. Do you experience a great deal of it?

Just from hitting or gracing objects or banks, try doing the rally in novice mode, going fast but carefully in the turns, and you will go trough with no damage at all.

jso1985
19th February 2008, 21:58
I usually use 0 or -1 for suspension for stages 1-6, I like taking high speed turns sliding so with softer suspension, it will without a doubt end up in a rolling.

As for the gearbox, there's no +3 value Tannat :p

Magnus
19th February 2008, 22:42
Reports from Curtans Rallybase Motorsport tell us of unplanned safaris and escapes into unchartered territories. The first(?) driver Magnus is actually at this very moment reported missing somewhere on stage 2. If anyone encounters him please send him by DHL to Peugeot HQ in France. They want to teach him a thing or two abt mud, cornering and throttle positions, and also arrange for some new glasses for him.

Rat
20th February 2008, 11:40
Team Red Bull has been out in the country to check out the new stages. We have set some good unofficial times, but we will have to wait till the Rally to see if we are fast enough. We havent seen pawprint this week, hope he can make it to the Rally..
I generally set the car up -1 on the suspension, steering +3, brakes 0, and gearbox +1.

tannat
20th February 2008, 16:17
Marcel-if you have some free time I'd love to see a run on the night stage for Kenya :)

Juha
20th February 2008, 16:22
As for the gearbox, there's no +3 value Tannat :p Not on your car no, but on ours... :s mokin: :p :

I am evil Homer
20th February 2008, 16:40
Could this explain Suzuki's speed???!!!

tannat
20th February 2008, 16:47
Not on your car no, but on ours... :s mokin: :p :

Teammate-what suspension are you running in Mexico (Kenya)?

Ours is a friendly team :D

No Panizzi-Delecour, Sainz-McRae shenanigans about....

Juha
20th February 2008, 20:46
Haven't book my flight yet, too busy to get there early. Testing will probably take place the week before the rally. :(

Marcel Haenen
21st February 2008, 08:07
Marcel-if you have some free time I'd love to see a run on the night stage for Kenya :)

I'll see what I can do...I should have a little spare time this evening.

JTLarsen
22nd February 2008, 11:35
I need a few screenshots for the 3rd issue of the CMR2 Rally Magazine, so a couple of shots from your recceing in Mexico would be great!

Please contact me by PM if you'd like to contribute

tannat
22nd February 2008, 12:52
I need a few screenshots for the 3rd issue of the CMR2 Rally Magazine, so a couple of shots from your recceing in Mexico would be great!

Please contact me by PM if you'd like to contribute

I could get some, but as I play on a PS1 the would be digital camera shots-not so great quality....

JTLarsen
22nd February 2008, 12:57
I could get some, but as I play on a PS1 the would be digital camera shots-not so great quality....

I'll gladly take a look at them as they don't have to be all perfect!

Btw, when are your Pc game arriving?

tannat
22nd February 2008, 13:00
Did about 5 runs on SS6 this morning (3 with my little girl asleep on my chest).

In a comparo between suspensions at -5, -3 and +2: I got virtually identical times. There is a lot to be said for the directness of steering at +2, but it seemed unnatural. This is a really bouncy stage, but I can't say -5 or -3 helped sort out the bumps an better.

Good deal of mud on this stage. May evaluate use of mud tires on SS5 and SS6 to see if there is any benefit (service stop before and after these two stages).

The rocks after the first tarmac section seem to be magnetic. It's worth a strong tap on the brakes to hold the car close to the left to avoid them on the right.

After these rocks I believe the rest of the stage can be taken flat out-no lifting no braking, but be certain to have your steering together!

Hairpins at the beginning can be frustrating. On some you can cut REALLY early and reap some benefit. Others will completely bog you down. The most crucial one is the final one onto tarmac. Brake early, keep it tight and point straight down the road once onto tarmac to maximize your speed.

Marcel Haenen
22nd February 2008, 13:26
Hairpins at the beginning can be frustrating. On some you can cut REALLY early and reap some benefit. Others will completely bog you down. The most crucial one is the final one onto tarmac. Brake early, keep it tight and point straight down the road once onto tarmac to maximize your speed.
You mean you really cut them? As in driving through the bushes? I don't think that's allowed...

Frozzy
22nd February 2008, 14:43
looks like Frozz Motors Europe Lead driver Martin Frosdick is going to delay recce until later in this week after Buying a new Ex-Red Bull Skoda for the rest of the season we're currently waiting to get the car rebuilt and fully prepared in time for mexico

tannat
22nd February 2008, 15:21
You mean you really cut them? As in driving through the bushes? I don't think that's allowed...

I don't cut the bushes (the vertical structures), but I do across the grass strips.

I'll holler at jso for clarification. May be an error of definition here.

Whether I cut on the grass or stay on the dirt, a comparison of sector times shows no difference in times. No worries if I'm told I'm doing wrong....

Tannat

tannat
22nd February 2008, 17:41
I'll gladly take a look at them as they don't have to be all perfect!

Btw, when are your Pc game arriving?

Probably next week..... :(

I plan to do a top speed comparo using different gearings for a future issue (post mexico).

There is that lovely stretch tarmac on one of the Oz stages..

JTLarsen
22nd February 2008, 18:32
I plan to do a top speed comparo using different gearings for a future issue (post mexico)...

Great idea :D

jso1985
22nd February 2008, 22:07
I don't cut the bushes (the vertical structures), but I do across the grass strips.

I'll holler at jso for clarification. May be an error of definition here.

Whether I cut on the grass or stay on the dirt, a comparison of sector times shows no difference in times. No worries if I'm told I'm doing wrong....

Tannat

From the rules:
"A shortcut is defined as driving around a solid object so that is put between the car and the route of the stage on the inside of ANY corner. Solid objects are trees, straw bales, advertising boards, fences, marker tapes, sign posts, rocks and any other objects that you cannot drive over or through. Bushes are not included"

You can cut through the bushes or the grass strips, but be sure you don't cut leaving a tree between you and the road during the hairpins

tannat
22nd February 2008, 22:22
From the rules:
but be sure you don't cut leaving a tree between you and the road during the hairpins

Okay-I've been good.

You can easily "cut leaving a tree between you and the road" on this stage as there are many large gaps between the shrubs, trees, etc

Only thing between me and the road is more grass strip.

Marcel will probably go even faster now :D

UKOG~Will
23rd February 2008, 09:31
Loving these Kenya stages. Flat out through most! :D

Had some nice rolls too :p :D

tannat
25th February 2008, 12:27
SS9-It is worth the time to practice the first left-right on this stage multiple times until you've got it right. Miss your turn-in and you are certain to go off!

On the mud section keep the car on the middle of the road as much as possible. If you go to the left or right too much you'll hear an appreciable loss in revs.

There is a tricky 3 left on the mud section. Push too hard and you'll smack a bit%$, I mean bush :D

Also a 3 right-be certain to brake a bit.

At then end don't let the final turn intimidate you, Take it flat. Even f you go off behind the signage on the left you'll immediately restart directly before the finish line and lose maybe half a second.

tannat
25th February 2008, 12:32
For some reason the mud seems exceptionally slippy at night.....

Again, stay in the middle of the road as much as possible. Easy to cut deep at the beginning of this stage, but you'll lose revs if you go too deep.

There is a 5 left 4 left on the initial 'jungle' section of this stage. You can take it flat no lift, but be certain to have your line right, and stay close on the exit or the 5 left will catch you and you'll smack signage on the right.

The second jungle section seems more slippery than the first. Run it often, as an off will cost a lot of time, and cautio is a good watch word.

Be certain the mount mud tires at service for SS9 and SS10 ;)