PDA

View Full Version : Talks are ongoing...

mikiec
18th February 2008, 14:02
According to this ESPN report...
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=1&id=3250729

"We continue to see advantages in a merger with the IRL," Kalkhoven said prior to his departure. "Equally, we are quite happy to go it alone. At the moment, we're going Champ Car racing."

"Things are progressing, but [the process is] delicate and complicated," George stated to ESPN.com in e-mail correspondence.

Here's the full text...

Constituents with a stake in American open-wheel racing are still waiting to see if the most advanced discussions to date between the Indy Racing League and the Champ Car World Series result in the two groups racing under one umbrella in 2008 and beyond.

High-level sources from both series confirmed to ESPN.com that negotiations continue. But with the IndyCar Series opener at Homestead-Miami Speedway only 41 days away, time is becoming a critical factor.

"If something is going to happen it will have to be soon," noted an emissary with inside knowledge of the talks.

Progress has been hampered by the fact that two of the key figures involved in the process have been or will be out of the country. IRL founder Tony George is expected to return to the U.S. Sunday from London, where he traveled to attend 2003 IndyCar Series champion Scott Dixon's wedding. Meanwhile, Champ Car co-principal Kevin Kalkhoven left for his own three-day trip to England on Sunday to attend a family function.

"We continue to see advantages in a merger with the IRL," Kalkhoven said prior to his departure. "Equally, we are quite happy to go it alone. At the moment, we're going Champ Car racing."

It is believed the two competing race series have reached an agreement in principle to work together and lawyers are toiling to hammer out the details for final approval. But several key issues, including the date for the IndyCar Series race at Twin Ring Motegi in Japan and the level of support that will be given to teams, remain unresolved.

"Things are progressing, but [the process is] delicate and complicated," George stated to ESPN.com in e-mail correspondence.

The nine teams that expected to compete in Champ Car this year are in limbo, awaiting information whether they will have to frantically gear up to race in the IndyCar Series. Champ Car's Panoz chassis and turbocharged Cosworth engines are not compatible with the IRL's single-seat formula, which utilizes a chassis made by Italian firm Dallara and normally aspirated Honda engines.

Meanwhile, existing IndyCar Series teams expressed mixed reactions about the possibility of Champ Car being merged into the IRL.

At Daytona International Speedway, leading team owner Roger Penske said he supported the proposed open-wheel unification and told the St. Petersburg Times he would go so far as to provide incoming Champ Car teams with "an extra car or pieces in order to get them going." Penske switched the open-wheel portion of his racing operation from the then CART-sanctioned Champ Car series to the IRL full-time in 2002.

However, A.J. Foyt, who has competed in the IRL since its 1996 start-up and has longstanding ties to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Hulman-George family, is vehemently opposed to Champ Car teams receiving assistance from the IRL in order to make the transition between series.

"I would throw a damned fit and would want to damned near pack up my bags if that was all true," Foyt fumed during a panel discussion with former Daytona 500 winners. "And I think a lot of people that have been loyal to [the IRL] would do the same thing because it just wouldn't be right for people who had to buy and spend a lot of money."

ChaimWitz
18th February 2008, 14:46
Wow, so this is all for real. Given what some have suggested here, I was tempted to believe it was all some grand plan to undermine the CCWS on the cusp of their third annual breakout season. There are two wonderful quotes in this:

And, this:

"I would throw a damned fit and would want to damned near pack up my bags if that was all true," Foyt fumed during a panel discussion with former Daytona 500 winners. "And I think a lot of people that have been loyal to [the IRL] would do the same thing because it just wouldn't be right for people who had to buy and spend a lot of money."

I can only shake my head an laugh these gems.

One Series is the only way forward and it will happen one way or another.

Sorry A.J. and good luck KK with that "Going Champ Car racing" thing.

Chaparral66
18th February 2008, 23:35
Wow, so this is all for real. Given what some have suggested here, I was tempted to believe it was all some grand plan to undermine the CCWS on the cusp of their third annual breakout season. There are two wonderful quotes in this:

And, this:

I can only shake my head an laugh these gems.

One Series is the only way forward and it will happen one way or another.

Sorry A.J. and good luck KK with that "Going Champ Car racing" thing.

So Tony George and Kevin Kalkhoven will be in England at the same time for a few days, away from the American media scrutiny? Hmmmmmm...

Gotta love AJ. You always know where he stands.

weeflyonthewall
18th February 2008, 23:44
Gotta love AJ. You always know where he stands.

Looking for a hand-out or boxing gloves for pit lane conflicts. He might put a bid in for Tony's hammer.

Brad Erman
19th February 2008, 00:01
So Tony George and Kevin Kalkhoven will be in England at the same time for a few days, away from the American media scrutiny? Hmmmmmm...

Weekend at Bernies?

mikiec
19th February 2008, 00:09
Progress has been hampered by the fact that two of the key figures involved in the process have been or will be out of the country. IRL founder Tony George is expected to return to the U.S. Sunday from London, where he traveled to attend 2003 IndyCar Series champion Scott Dixon's wedding. Meanwhile, Champ Car co-principal Kevin Kalkhoven left for his own three-day trip to England on Sunday to attend a family function.

No meeting in England, they probably passed each other over the Atlantic.

Interesting that Scott Dixon's a kiwi and KK's an Aussie, yet they both have family do's in England!?!?!?

Chaparral66
19th February 2008, 00:11
Think they are texting each other?

timshag
19th February 2008, 03:13
What a coincidence!

Amazing how they both got to England at the same time.

Cart750hp
19th February 2008, 07:33
What a coincidence!

Amazing how they both got to England at the same time.

Holding hands? Wow!

nigelred5
19th February 2008, 15:15
No meeting in England, they probably passed each other over the Atlantic.

Interesting that Scott Dixon's a kiwi and KK's an Aussie, yet they both have family do's in England!?!?!?

Yeah, KK's there to hand TG his family jewels. Representatives of Lloyd's probably wanted to witness the exchange in person. ;)

mikiec
20th February 2008, 09:55
Latest from Curt Calvin at the Indianapolis Star....

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080220/SPORTS01/802200527/1052/SPORTS01

The Indy Racing League continued to make progress Tuesday on unification talks with Champ Car, moving closer to a deal that would end open-wheel racing's divide, but the day passed without an agreement.

"We are still trading drafts of a (possible) agreement," said Fred Nation, spokesman for IRL founder Tony George. "We are whittling away at the issues, but they have not been eliminated. We're optimistic these things can be resolved, but . . . it's always possible that (someone) will decide they don't want to (unify)."
Nation said George, who is in Orlando, Fla., at a motor sports safety conference, is negotiating with Champ Car World Series owner Kevin Kalkhoven. Kalkhoven is working on behalf of fellow Champ Car owners Gerald Forsythe, Paul Gentilozzi and Dan Pettit.
Kalkhoven is in London attending to family business. Gentilozzi said late Tuesday that the group "is still tinkering" with documents sent by George.
David Higdon, Champ Car's executive vice president of strategic development, said the series is "in the same position (it) was last week. Discussions are being held, but nothing is done."
Nation said the emphasis in negotiations has shifted from the April 19-20 weekend, where both series have a race scheduled, to finances. He would not elaborate.
"That could be anything from cash (exchanged) to what pieces and parts are on a chassis," he said.
George has agreed to supply IRL cars to Champ Car teams that can show viability to participate in his league.
Nation said his staff is making preliminary plans for a news conference, but one could not be held before Thursday, when Kalkhoven is scheduled to return to the U.S.
The IRL has options regarding the April 19-20 weekend, including the possibility that two races are held -- one in Japan, and the other in Long Beach, Calif.
If a deal between the series is reached, the IRL would absorb Champ Car, taking a collection of its teams and up to three of its events for this season.
Besides Long Beach, races in Edmonton and Australia are of interest to the IRL for 2008. Other events have conflicts, Nation said. Nation said the IRL would take "a clean sheet" of paper regarding the 2009 schedule.
With signs Champ Car might not exist much longer, its team owners are making provisions.
Conquest Racing's Eric Bachelart said he will field a two-car IRL program if George accepts the plan to race in Australia.
Derrick Walker said his team will be a one-car IRL outfit if it can secure the necessary funding.
"Remember, it's a seller's market for the IRL teams," said Walker, referring to 60 Dallaras owned by IRL teams. "It's now a dog-eat-dog world out there, and all the (Champ Car) dogs are fighting over the same pieces of meat."
The IRL is expecting between six and 10 cars to migrate from Champ Car, which had 14 cars at its recent test at Sebring (Fla.) International Raceway. Gentilozzi said his Rocketsports team will not be among them.
"I can't make the (financial) numbers work," he said. "Plus, I have a Brazilian driver (Enrique Bernoldi) who has never been on ovals, and he's not very interested in doing that."
The IRL is scheduled to test next week at Homestead-Miami (Fla.) Speedway, but a later test at the track is being arranged for Champ Car teams that make the switch. The IRL's first race is March 29.