PDA

View Full Version : Desmosedici owner hijacked at gunpoint from visordown.com

Roby44
15th February 2008, 09:53
Owner loses £40,000 bike less than week after taking delivery

A CALIFORNIAN man lost his brand new Ducati Desmosedici when a lone hijacker robbed the nightclub owner of his machine at gunpoint.
Dan Travers, 42, was riding home from a friend's house in Santa Monica aboard his £40,000 steed when a lone gunman approached Travers while he was sat waiting at a set of traffic lights.

"The guy appeared from behind me while I was waiting at a stop light," said Travers. "He told me to get off the bike and keep walking or he'd shoot. I couldn't see his face as he was wearing a helmet and dark visor. There was no one else around."

Travers was one of the first customers to take delivery of the new Desmosedici in California.

"I'm heartbroken," said Travers on losing his MotoGP replica. "I've been waiting for over a year for it to arrive and I've lost it in less than a week."

It's unknown whether the thief targetted Travers or just got lucky.

Let's just hope he's not turned it into a streetfighter.

Roby44
15th February 2008, 09:54
Do you think it might have been Valentino Rossi!! :p :

Nick@S
15th February 2008, 10:14
Lol Roby!

Unlucky fella - what a crap view he must have of the world just now.
Probably not much chance of getting a replacement one, if he did indeed want one.

maxu05
15th February 2008, 13:24
I wonder how much it was insured for though ?

MrJan
15th February 2008, 13:46
Yup, sounds like a bit of a scam. Me I'd have just opened the throttle and be gone, reckon it could outrun a speeding bullet? :D

16th February 2008, 21:43
Possible measures for reducing likelihood of being bikejacked.
Leave bike in gear.
If you elect not to risk the consequences of taking off, get off the bike and let go of the clutch thus dropping the bike.
If it's not in gear, get off on the opposite side to the perp and make sure the bike drops, preferably on him.
Alternatively, reduce you chances of this happening by moving here to Australia.

Roby44
17th February 2008, 00:44
Possible measures for reducing likelihood of being bikejacked.
Leave bike in gear.
If you elect not to risk the consequences of taking off, get off the bike and let go of the clutch thus dropping the bike.
If it's not in gear, get off on the opposite side to the perp and make sure the bike drops, preferably on him.
Alternatively, reduce you chances of this happening by moving here to Australia.

You think no one would do this here?? Where you live.. :eek:

maxu05
17th February 2008, 01:49
You think no one would do this here?? Where you live.. :eek:

The difference between the USA and Australia. In the USA, the highjacker used a gun, in Australia the highjacker will have a stick :laugh:

Roby44
17th February 2008, 04:46
I have since read that the whole story could be a porky pie.. :rolleyes:

maxu05
17th February 2008, 06:51
Figures, someone just needed attention I would imagine.

MrJan
17th February 2008, 12:10
in Australia the highjacker will have a stick :laugh:

Sounds a bit high tech and fancy :laugh:

maxu05
17th February 2008, 12:38
Well, we are talking about upmarket thugs here.

The Phantom
17th February 2008, 14:13
Hell, that bike is enough to encourage me to steal one... ;)

Not that I would, and anyway, the biker credo simply doesn't allow such things.

maxu05
18th February 2008, 02:14
What ? Sticks ? :laugh:

Roby44
19th February 2008, 10:25
Sounds a bit high tech and fancy :laugh:

Well, we are talking about upmarket thugs here.

Not just your average everyday thug / mugger / robber here in Oz!! :p

SEAN-B.
22nd February 2008, 00:55
Hell, that bike is enough to encourage me to steal one... ;)

Not that I would, and anyway, the biker credo simply doesn't allow such things.

"Biker Credo"? What jackass daring enough to steal the damn thing is really thinking about that?-Don't take offense Mr. Phantom,but seriously if this is a for real incident,then it almost does sound like the guy was cased for the jack.I would hate to think that some petty thief SOB got that lucky.Besides, think of how hard it would be to sell the damn thing to anybody else without going unoticed to somebody who know's anything about bikes unless the idiot is willing to take that chance of getting caught?