PDA

View Full Version : In search of a book to read.

janneppi
13th February 2008, 17:33
Lately I've been spending too many hours watching tv, I'd like to get back reading books, and not the mystery scifi crap or books where christmas gnomes carry a magical thingymajigs and fight dragons on their way to some place no-one can pronounce.

I need good, straigtforward books where good men are shot dead with machine guns and explosions maim the unfortunate. :)

I did like the early Tom Clancy's before the writer began preaching his own political opinions too much, I've read the McLean's Higginses, Sven Hassells to name a few.

Help me. :)

tannat
13th February 2008, 17:52
I did like the early Tom Clancy's before the writer began preaching his own political opinions too much, I've read the McLean's Higginses, Sven Hassells to name a few.

Two words-Ian Fleming.

I recommend "On Her Majety's Secret Service". Forget the movie if you saw it.

You'll be thanking me once you've finished.

Tannat

Woodeye
13th February 2008, 18:47
Try anything from Erlend Loe. Sometimes it good to be a little insane.

If you wanna laugh "101 Reykjavik" from Halgrimur Helgason will do the trick.

One of the best that I've red lately is "Shadow of the wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It's simply a great book. :up:

rah
13th February 2008, 22:21
Lately I've been spending too many hours watching tv, I'd like to get back reading books, and not the mystery scifi crap or books where christmas gnomes carry a magical thingymajigs and fight dragons on their way to some place no-one can pronounce.

I need good, straigtforward books where good men are shot dead with machine guns and explosions maim the unfortunate. :)

Mate I know what you are saying. I also like it when the good guy is not a super human that can do no wrong. Try Chris Ryan or Any McNab. Definately great reads. There are more I could name, but my memory is terrible.

Magnus
13th February 2008, 22:35
Wow, Sven Hassel: De fördömdas legion, or what it was called. It was banned from swedish bibliotecs before.
I am not that much in to the action style, I more like writers like Frans G Bengtsson (Röde Orm - hilarious!), Vilhelm Moberg (Utvandrarna etc), Noam chomsky (Hilarious, or something ;) ), Stephen Hawking: A brief history of time, Forgot his name: The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, Schopenhauer: die welt als wille und vorstellung (just kidding...it´s hopeless, I didn´t understand anything), Robert k massie: Peter the Great (extremely interesting even if you keep you interest in history at a distant), The history of Cosworth: In search of power, well there are so many so i´d beter stop...

maxu05
13th February 2008, 23:34
Try reading any of Wilbur Smiths books. Once you pick up his books and start reading, it's hard to stop, they are simply brilliant.

Magnus
14th February 2008, 07:16
Some Wilbur Smit is alright, but he have some books with very stupid stories aswell which tends to annoy, atleast me.

malscar
14th February 2008, 09:33
Or try Robert Ludlum or some of the old Douglas Reeman bboks

cosmicpanda
14th February 2008, 09:46
Clive Cussler's good.

And for a bit of a laugh, try Terry Pratchet. No machine guns, but definitely explosions. There are magical gnomes and things but it's all spoofed.

jim mcglinchey
14th February 2008, 10:31
where good men are shot dead with machine guns and explosions maim the unfortunate. :)

Black Hawk Down, even if you've seen the film. The book is the most exciting shoot em up you'll ever read. No fannying about setting the scene either, page 1 and theyre jumping out of ther choppers and the action doesnt stop until the last page.

ShiftingGears
14th February 2008, 10:52

I really liked the Jurassic Park novel - straightforward, suspenseful, although less guns and more Velociraptors.

Daniel
14th February 2008, 11:11
"Where's Wally" is a good read :)

ShiftingGears
14th February 2008, 11:20
"Where's Wally" is a good read :)

:up: Trying to find Wally in the land of Wallys always made me distraught. :p :

janneppi
14th February 2008, 11:22
Mate I know what you are saying. I also like it when the good guy is not a super human that can do no wrong. Try Chris Ryan or Any McNab. Definately great reads. There are more I could name, but my memory is terrible.I think I've read McNab book or two, at least I haven't found any more in the library.

Or try Robert Ludlum or some of the old Douglas Reeman bboksBeen there, done those. ;)

Clive Cussler's good.

And for a bit of a laugh, try Terry Pratchet. No machine guns, but definitely explosions. There are magical gnomes and things but it's all spoofed.I think I read a Cussler or two few years ago, wasn't that impressed though, Pratchet it out of the question. ;)

Black Hawk Down, even if you've seen the film. The book is the most exciting shoot em up you'll ever read. No fannying about setting the scene either, page 1 and theyre jumping out of ther choppers and the action doesnt stop until the last page.
It's a good book, better than the movie for sure.

Daniel
14th February 2008, 11:31
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chronicles-Trilogy-Paperback-Collectors-Dragonlance/dp/0880386525/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1202988614&sr=8-3

Dragonlance Chronicles are good :p

fandango
14th February 2008, 19:50
James Ellroy. If you saw that film LA Confidential and you liked it you'll love Ellroy's books.

Henning Mankell. Now there's a hero (Kurt Wallander) who isn't superhuman, although I suspect you already know more about him than I would.

Haruki Murakami. A great mix of reality with very strange while still being easy to read.

Paul Auster. Good stories.

Arturo Pérez-Reverte......

janneppi
15th February 2008, 06:32
James Ellroy. If you saw that film LA Confidential and you liked it you'll love Ellroy's books.

Henning Mankell. Now there's a hero (Kurt Wallander) who isn't superhuman, although I suspect you already know more about him than I would.

I think I've read that particular Ellroy book, but didn't find it that interesting so I haven't look further.
I tried to read a Wallander book few months ago, but left it half way done, it didn't strike as anything special to me. They've shown some Wallander movies here the past few months, haven't seen them either. ;)

Rudy Tamasz
15th February 2008, 07:14
Try Jean-Patric Manchette. He's never been soft on good guys in his books.

555-04Q2
15th February 2008, 12:07

Author: Bernard Cornwell

Book(s): The Warlord Chronicles (there are 3 books in the series) first book is "The Winter King", cant remember the title of the second book and the third book is called "Excalibur"

Best series of books I have ever read and I have read a lot of books!!!.

Tomi
15th February 2008, 22:52
I'm reading now Jan Guilluo's Tjuvarnas marknad, the last one was Arto Paasilinna's Ukkosen jumalan poika (The son of the thundergod) a bloody funny book. I like also Henning Mankell's books a lot.

Valve Bounce
16th February 2008, 11:25
The Kite Runner: http://us.penguingroup.com/static/rguides/us/kite_runner.html

The most compelling book I've read in the last two years.

Glen 320
16th February 2008, 15:27
Lee Child writes cracking books,if you like a good thriller he's well worth a read.

gloomyDAY
18th February 2008, 03:35
The Game - Neil Strauss

Robinho
18th February 2008, 12:27
best things i've read recently include

Relentless - Simon Kernick - great thriller, fast paced and quite clever

Sign of the Cross - one of the many religious/historical artefact type thrillers but very good

A Thousand Suns - WW2 "what if" type thriller, excellent read, very believable

Sam Bourne's 2 books (i forget their names, but they are gripping and spectaculalry written, incredibly absorbing)

and also try "we need to talk about Kevin", quite dark and emotional, and quite hard work, but compelling at the same time

janneppi
21st February 2008, 18:29
I succumbed, I borrowed the latest Clancy from the library, The teeth of the tiger, wasn't really that good, not at all.
Tried to find some names mentioned here that I haven't read but didn't find any, might have to take a trip to the bigger library in the city.

Took me two days to read the 500 page book, I must be getting old. :(

PuddleJumper
22nd February 2008, 10:37
Lee Child writes cracking books,if you like a good thriller he's well worth a read.
Definitely. I recently read the first of his novels (luckily, I didn't know there was a whole series of Jack Reacher books!) and thought it was really good. I have book number 2 lined up for when I finish my current read, "More Twisted" by Jeffery Deaver (my favourite author, and highly recommended).

thompp
22nd February 2008, 10:37
John le Carre (most famous for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Smiley's People) - still writes spy books, but he is a best selling author who can actually write - in other words, his books can be classified as proper literature. His plotting, characterisation and character psychology, as well as geenral writing, is secoind to none. A word of caution though - sometimes his books can be heavy going, but it is always worth it.