PDA

View Full Version : Aussie's PM apologised

Erki
12th February 2008, 22:37
I just happened to read that Aussie's PM had finally said "sorry" Aborigines. :)

I'm waiting for Daniel's comments now. :)

Daniel
12th February 2008, 23:47
And Aborigines all around immediately get jobs, stop with the domestic abuse, aren't overweight or malnourished, don't have widespread alcohol abuse problems and so one.

What a man you are mr PM. P.S I hope he doesn't solve any real problems in his time in office! Would hate to see him actually make a REAL difference to the Aborigines :rolleyes: These people don't need words or sympathy......

Valve Bounce
13th February 2008, 00:31
And Aborigines all around immediately get jobs, stop with the domestic abuse, aren't overweight or malnourished, don't have widespread alcohol abuse problems and so one.

What a man you are mr PM. P.S I hope he doesn't solve any real problems in his time in office! Would hate to see him actually make a REAL difference to the Aborigines :rolleyes: These people don't need words or sympathy......

I agree; and I think the accent is on words

In a couple of days, we will start to see what all this is about.

Ranger
13th February 2008, 01:21

What this has got to do with the apology I do not know.

The apology was about saying sorry (which are indeed only words, as highlighted in both speeches by Rudd and Nelson) to those who were dislocated from their families because of the assimilation policy. This is fair enough.

No one said it will cure any issues common to Aboriginal people, so I really don't see why you are sarcastically implying that it will.

Daniel
13th February 2008, 01:47

The apology was about saying sorry (which are indeed only words, as highlighted in both speeches by Rudd and Nelson) to those who were dislocated from their families because of the assimilation policy. This is fair enough.

No one said it will cure any issues common to Aboriginal people, so I really don't see why you are sarcastically implying that it will.
My point is there are bigger problems for the Aboriginal people other than the sense that they've been hard done by in this way.

Ranger
13th February 2008, 01:53
My point is there are bigger problems for the Aboriginal people other than the sense that they've been hard done by in this way.

I thought that went without saying... No one said that those issues were now transparent because of an apology towards Aborigines about an entirely separate matter.

raybak
13th February 2008, 03:48
I would like to say "Sorry" for the PM saying "Sorry"

I think it's a total load of crap, parliament have better things to do like running the country and doing something about interest rates that seem to keep rising.

Ray

ShiftingGears
13th February 2008, 04:01
I would like to say "Sorry" for the PM saying "Sorry"

I think it's a total load of crap, parliament have better things to do like running the country and doing something about interest rates that seem to keep rising.

Ray

The presentation took less than one hour.

maxu05
13th February 2008, 04:17
There are those that are not happy with it, and those that approve. It may not solve all the problems for the Aboriginal people, but at least it is a start.

Valve Bounce
13th February 2008, 05:09

There was one indigenous fellow who was briefly intreviewed on TV last night, and he said that the Intervention should be stopped. The intervention includes, among other things, the separation of children who are abused, to be taken away from the environment where they are not looked after. He claimed that Aboriginals don't need the Intervention which is giving them a bad name.

So, in the middle of the euphoria surrounding the Lost Generation, why are we still seperating children from their families right now? Are we missing something here?

ShiftingGears
13th February 2008, 05:15
There was one indigenous fellow who was briefly intreviewed on TV last night, and he said that the Intervention should be stopped. The intervention includes, among other things, the separation of children who are abused, to be taken away from the environment where they are not looked after. He claimed that Aboriginals don't need the Intervention which is giving them a bad name.

So, in the middle of the euphoria surrounding the Lost Generation, why are we still seperating children from their families right now? Are we missing something here?

Everyone knew that - Dr Nelson was defending it in his speech today. It doesn't make it acceptible, but remember today is the first parliament sitting since the election of the Rudd government.

leopard
13th February 2008, 05:17
I didn't know exactly the problem, Nippon asked forgiveness to countries they have occupied during WW 2 for all rudeness, and give substantial donation to the said countries. I don't see anything harm from saying sorry, it's decorous.

maxu05
13th February 2008, 05:19
My sisters little girl was removed from her home due to my sisters boyfriend beating my sister up (several times). Now, my sister has epilepsy, so she is on quite a bit of medication, and does not always think rationally. Now, my sister is not indigenous, but I can see why some children are removed from possible danger and violent situations in this way. Should Aboriginal children be any different. What happens today is not what used to happen in the past. If a small childs parents are getting smashed every night, (wether it be alchohol, drugs, petrol, glue or whatever), then it is the duty of the authorities to step in and protect that child. If that means the child must be removed from this situation, and it is justified, I have no problem with it.

Rollo
13th February 2008, 05:33
Isn't it funny how instantly certain Aboriginal groups are saying that "the wording opens the door for compensation" This is not about sorry even for the Aborigines.

This is about how much coin can be extracted out of the government (and by inference screwed out of the taxpayer).
I agree with the principle but ATSIC and ATSIS comprehensively proved that throwing money at the problem isn't going to help.

I would suggest something along the lines of the "Principles of Waitangi" document adopted by the New Zealand Labour Government in 1990 in repsonse the the Māori wish for solidification on the 1840 Treaty of Waitangi.

Ranger
13th February 2008, 05:43

Because cases of individuals being removed from their parents because of social welfare purposes is different to masses of individuals being removed from their parents for the purpose of assimilation.

Apart from that, the fact that it is happening is no secret. Somewhat curiously, Brendan Nelson defended it in his sorry speech today.

Isn't it funny how instantly certain Aboriginal groups are saying that "the wording opens the door for compensation" This is not about sorry even for the Aborigines.

This is about how much coin can be extracted out of the government (and by inference screwed out of the taxpayer).
I agree with the principle but ATSIC and ATSIS comprehensively proved that throwing money at the problem isn't going to help.

That's why compensation has been ruled out by both parties, and rightly so IMO. Sorry may be the first step, but money sure isn't the second.

malscar
13th February 2008, 08:02
That's why compensation has been ruled out by both parties, and rightly so IMO. Sorry may be the first step, but money sure isn't the second.

It may have been said, but in reality it will be up to the court system to rule on the compensation side of things. Rudd has now 'officially' acknowledged that the Government (at the time) did wrong and as a consequence, disadvantaged the family members. Time will tell, and I hope to hell I am wrong, but believe this will cost us dearly in a monetary sense.

rah
13th February 2008, 10:02
Thought it was a good speach. Didn't like Nelson's though. Not the right time or place for it.

Bout time we said sorry. I doubt anyone who really grasps what happened could say it was a bad thing.

maxu05
13th February 2008, 13:46
I think his speech was very well recieved, and I feel that from hearing this speech, that he will lead a government more open to public opinion, and more transparent.

Daniel
13th February 2008, 15:28
Bout time we said sorry. I doubt anyone who really grasps what happened could say it was a bad thing.

I don't think it's a bad thing. I just don't think that in a practical sense it helps the people who need help now.

rah
13th February 2008, 22:12
I don't think it's a bad thing. I just don't think that in a practical sense it helps the people who need help now.

Your right, it will not help people in a practical way. But it needed to be said to help in an emotional sense. Now we will have to wait to see what practical ideas they come up with. I like the idea of a bi-partisan approach, as long as it is productive.

Valve Bounce
13th February 2008, 23:09
I didn't know exactly the problem, Nippon asked forgiveness to countries they have occupied during WW 2 for all rudeness, and give substantial donation to the said countries. I don't see anything harm from saying sorry, it's decorous.

First of all, the Japanese have deleted a lot of WWII from their history books. Secondly, those ba$tards murdered a helluva lot of civilians for the sake of it. If you are not familiar with the Rape of Nanjing, or some of the executions of males in the canal in Causeway Bay in Hong Kong, then you should learn aboutit. But what the Japanese did has nothing to do with this Apology for the Stolen Generation.

I hope this clears up one big misunderstanding for you.

Valve Bounce
13th February 2008, 23:14

You are right here. I just hope that better resources are made available to provide better schooling and housing for indigenous people, and that the benefits get to the ordinary people and not in the form of 4WD's for the Fat Cats like Clarke and Sugar Ray.

anthonyvop
14th February 2008, 00:42
Every Race, Color, Creed & Ethnicity has been dumped on at one time or another.
The ones that move on are the ones that get ahead.

Roamy
14th February 2008, 06:23
what a putz - he should have blackened up bought them all surfboards and took them for a weekend to the Gold Coast

Hawkmoon
18th February 2008, 00:15
The thing about apologies is that they are meaningless unless they are accepted.

Has the apology been accepted? If so, then that should be the end of the "Stolen Generation" issue and the focus should be turned to helping Aboriginal people help themselves.

If it hasn't been accepted then all that Rudd has done is set the stage for more acrimony that will be largely carried out in the courts at great cost to everybody.

Garry Walker
18th February 2008, 22:02
Embarrassing decision, guided by the stupidity of political correctness and lefty views.
I will quote a friend of mine from Australia who said this

The stolen generation does exist, however it was not exclusive to the Aboriginals communities as the media likes to portray it, similar to the holocaust with the Jews. There were many other children taken from their parents without reason, kids from immgrants (white or otherwise), young women, kids born out of wedlock, etc.

And as Brendan Nelson said in his speech, some of these cases were justfied. Ironicially enough, kids are still being taken from Aboriginal families today! Not because they are abo but because they are **** parents. A major difference the aboriginal community and most of the media refuse to acknowledge.

There are good intentions in saying sorry but not in the absolute way Rudd did. Putting all aboriginal cases in one basket and not acknowledge the others was not right.

Unfortunately, as with most Aboriginal finances, whatever compo claims that are lodged, the money will mainly go to the Aboriginal Elite. Those who live quite well thank you very much on all the money the government gives them to help Aboriginal communities but just spend it on themselves. Which is why a lot of these communities are still in a ****ing mess.

The aboriginal community itself seems to be painted in some heavenly light in the media which is downright dangerous. Sure there are many good aboriginal families but then there are others who are not. Those who rape kids (typically blood related), those babies they suspect as having birth defects being killed, cases of being thrown on fires (seriously that happens, and the defect maybe as simple as different hair colour), the drunken rampages, destroying property and ****ting on it as a calling sign, stealing, squatting in people's homes and using the floorboard as firewood, whatever. It happens. Being 'misunderstood' should only take you so far.

Rollo
18th February 2008, 22:52

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23216136-661,00.html

Maybe the "Stolen Generation" won't attack the Federal Government, but legal proceedings have started against the states; I think we're on a very slippery slope myself.

rah
19th February 2008, 12:09
Embarrassing decision, guided by the stupidity of political correctness and lefty views.

Right wing views have done nothing but stuff the country up. Your time is over, and a good thing too. But hey, if you do not like it, run for parliment,

Daniel
19th February 2008, 12:14
Your friend is an idiot and if he's Australian I am greatly embarassed.

fandango
19th February 2008, 17:45

I'm not familiar with the situation, but could it be that the Government's statement could actually save time and money in compensation cases, by taking away the necessity for certain parts of the case to be proven and/or disputed?

That would be the practical, administrative side to a symbolic gesture like this, I imagine.

Azumanga Davo
20th February 2008, 12:10
Hmmm, wonder where the apology for them breaking into our Yaris early this morning to steal the rather valuable $3 worth of change in a bowls bag?

Curiously, my dad's CDs were left on the driver's seat, so make of that what you will... ;)

rah
20th February 2008, 12:53
Hmmm, wonder where the apology for them breaking into our Yaris early this morning to steal the rather valuable $3 worth of change in a bowls bag?

Curiously, my dad's CDs were left on the driver's seat, so make of that what you will... ;)

So you know for sure that the person who broke in was Aboriginal?

Was it Aboriginal policy to break into your Yaris?

Keep in mind that the government has not apologized for other things that were done before the Stolen Generation. Or maybe that should be the British government.

Daniel
20th February 2008, 13:00
So you know for sure that the person who broke in was Aboriginal?

Was it Aboriginal policy to break into your Yaris?

:laugh: Rather....

I once had some petrol stolen out of my Peugeot when it was parked in a fairly dodgey area of Perth which has lots of Aboriginals living there. I would hazard a guess that it was aboriginals but at the end of the day it doesn't matter and you only end up causing more problems in the bigger scheme of things if you go round blaming everything on a particular group of people without proof.

Daniel
20th February 2008, 13:01

Perhaps they didn't like your dads taste in music? :mark:

Garry Walker
20th February 2008, 14:50
Right wing views have done nothing but stuff the country up. Your time is over, and a good thing too. But hey, if you do not like it, run for parliment,

Right wing views did Australia more good than bad. You want to see a weak country, look no further than left-run UK.

Your friend is an idiot and if he's Australian I am greatly embarassed.

what was wrong with his views? Didn`t bend over enough to crazy lefty lies?

Oh and yes, he is an australian, one with a uni degree to actually.

Are you from australia?

Daniel
20th February 2008, 14:52
LOL university degree. I take back everything I said. He must be infinitely wise if he has a university degree.....

How is the UK weak? Weak in that they're fairly stable where as your right wing run country is economically screwed? Don't make me laugh.

Garry Walker
20th February 2008, 20:30
LOL university degree. I take back everything I said. He must be infinitely wise if he has a university degree.....

How is the UK weak? Weak in that they're fairly stable where as your right wing run country is economically screwed? Don't make me laugh.

Again, you have given me no answers. Why did you consider his views stupid and embarrassing?

To your knowledge, I am not an ozzie nor am I living there. Nor are you. So I will trust my friends words over some forum nobody, especially as that forum nobody has so far given nothing credible, only insults.

How is the UK weak? Are you trying to make me laugh? Because you made a good job of it.

Magnus
20th February 2008, 20:47
I have not fully grasped the mistreatment towards the aborigines. All I know is that there have been a debate arrund it, and since there now is an apology, there where probably some fire somewhere.

Regarding what certain people say on forums about the situation in their country, it natuarlly tells us nothing, since you may find just about any opinion on different forums, and since there is no definite view or truth in questions like this.

I must say though, that arguing that some are idiots and some are blind leftwingers or that there are crazy left lies, are beautifuly effective means of destroying a discussion. I marvel at it all the time. Why not try to stick the basic rules of every discussion: to talk about and judge opinions, not people who votes in a certain way or argues on this forum in a certain way. Nothing good has ever come from that.

I guess I wont live to se that go away though :(

Daniel
20th February 2008, 21:44
Again, you have given me no answers. Why did you consider his views stupid and embarrassing?

To your knowledge, I am not an ozzie nor am I living there. Nor are you. So I will trust my friends words over some forum nobody, especially as that forum nobody has so far given nothing credible, only insults.

How is the UK weak? Are you trying to make me laugh? Because you made a good job of it.

I bow to your superior intelect :) I am in fact Australian and I do in fact live in the UK (no really I'm not being sarcastic.... I am actually Australian)

What makes me laugh is that you think Right Wing views have helped Australia. The last time I heard of right wing views in Australia they were mixed in with names such as Jack van Tongren and Pauline Hanson. John Howard is in no ways Right Wing at all. He's marginally right of centre at the very best. You know nothing of Australia and neither does your University educated friend. Quit talking about things you have no knowledge of.

Garry Walker
20th February 2008, 22:12
I bow to your superior intelect :) I am in fact Australian and I do in fact live in the UK (no really I'm not being sarcastic.... I am actually Australian)

What makes me laugh is that you think Right Wing views have helped Australia. The last time I heard of right wing views in Australia they were mixed in with names such as Jack van Tongren and Pauline Hanson. John Howard is in no ways Right Wing at all. He's marginally right of centre at the very best. You know nothing of Australia and neither does your University educated friend. Quit talking about things you have no knowledge of.

Again, you have given no arguments as to why you called my friend an idiot. I expect you back what you said. So far you have given no arguments as to why you said that.

do you have some arguments or is it as I am guessing how it is, as in, you know absolutely nothing about australia at all?

So far you have only managed to spit out unwitty insults and have not refuted even one point I gave in my post.

Daniel
20th February 2008, 22:44
Again, you have given no arguments as to why you called my friend an idiot. I expect you back what you said. So far you have given no arguments as to why you said that.

do you have some arguments or is it as I am guessing how it is, as in, you know absolutely nothing about australia at all?

So far you have only managed to spit out unwitty insults and have not refuted even one point I gave in my post.

I have as much need to provide evidence against your friends idiotic claims as you have need to provide evidence to the contrary if I was to say George W Bush is actually a woman who wears mens clothes by day and turns into a werewolf by night and his poos are purple. I'd be plain wrong to say that and your friend is plain wrong in his blanket statements on a whole race of people. The fact that you think Right Wing politics has ever had a positive impact in Australia shows you are as misguided as your friend. Story as in end of.

P.S Have you put those two names into Google yet? :rolleyes:

Garry Walker
20th February 2008, 22:54
I have as much need to provide evidence against your friends idiotic claims as you have need to provide evidence to the contrary if I was to say George W Bush is actually a woman who wears mens clothes by day and turns into a werewolf by night and his poos are purple. I'd be plain wrong to say that and your friend is plain wrong in his blanket statements on a whole race of people. The fact that you think Right Wing politics has ever had a positive impact in Australia shows you are as misguided as your friend. Story as in end of.

P.S Have you put those two names into Google yet? :rolleyes:

Again you have shown your have no arguments.
Let me talk to you slowly and go step by step, so that you would possibly, maybe, understand.

Here is what my friend said

The stolen generation does exist, however it was not exclusive to the Aboriginals communities as the media likes to portray it, similar to the holocaust with the Jews. There were many other children taken from their parents without reason, kids from immgrants (white or otherwise), young women, kids born out of wedlock, etc.

And as Brendan Nelson said in his speech, some of these cases were justfied. Ironicially enough, kids are still being taken from Aboriginal families today! Not because they are abo but because they are **** parents. A major difference the aboriginal community and most of the media refuse to acknowledge.

There are good intentions in saying sorry but not in the absolute way Rudd did. Putting all aboriginal cases in one basket and not acknowledge the others was not right.

Unfortunately, as with most Aboriginal finances, whatever compo claims that are lodged, the money will mainly go to the Aboriginal Elite. Those who live quite well thank you very much on all the money the government gives them to help Aboriginal communities but just spend it on themselves. Which is why a lot of these communities are still in a ****ing mess.

The aboriginal community itself seems to be painted in some heavenly light in the media which is downright dangerous. Sure there are many good aboriginal families but then there are others who are not. Those who rape kids (typically blood related), those babies they suspect as having birth defects being killed, cases of being thrown on fires (seriously that happens, and the defect maybe as simple as different hair colour), the drunken rampages, destroying property and ****ting on it as a calling sign, stealing, squatting in people's homes and using the floorboard as firewood, whatever. It happens. Being 'misunderstood' should only take you so far.

You have not refuted anything. Nothing at all. I consider what my friend said as very reasonable.
Your claims that you have "loads of evidence" against what he said just doesn`t cut it. You either provide evidence, or you look stupid.
Let me give you an example. Let`s assume I call someone a thief. He asks me for proof. I say I have loads of it, but don`t disclose any. Guess who looks stupid? Exactly. Now adjust that situation to this topic.

So you either give evidence that destroys my friends views (in which case we can have rational debate, at the moment it is not possible due to your desire not to give any proof for your case, except insults :( ), or apologize in public for your comments.

The funny thing is that I am very much right-winged and my friend is as as left-winged as possible in most cases, except this :D

Camelopard
21st February 2008, 01:30
Or maybe that should be the British government.

The British government won't even apologise to the civilians (both white and black) and servicemen that were treated to nuclear fallout as an experiment in the 1950s.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/05/11/1052280486255.html

As if Nagasaki and Hiroshima didn't teach anybody anything :mad: .

Camelopard
21st February 2008, 01:34
Perhaps they didn't like your dads taste in music? :mark:

Damn pesky Aboriginals, mine wife's car was broken into at her work place and she complained to me, 'they didn't even take my CDs!'. Hardly suprising given her taste in music thought I! :p :

Camelopard
21st February 2008, 01:36

:) :) :) School of Open Learning, perhaps!!!!

Sign in a toilet cubicle under the toilet paper, 'ANU Arts Degree, please take two!'

Camelopard
21st February 2008, 01:55
Again you have shown your have no arguments.
The funny thing is that I am very much right-winged and my friend is as as left-winged as possible in most cases, except this

Mr Walker, you obviously have no idea about Australia, nor for that matter Daniel's political views. You trot out the old "'lefty, bad', 'Right wing, good' mantra" everytime there is an argument/discussion, regarding politics.

If you bothered you could find out that Daniel's views on things political in Australia are right of centre. It does not mean they are right nor wrong and doesn't mean I have to agree with him all the time.
For you to sprout the crap you continue to do about your friend's opinions without bothering to do any of your own research tells me a lot about you.....
Also as a matter of fact, as Daniel said, whilst he may not presently live in Australia, he is still an Australian, which is something you don't seem capable of believing.
Rather than give us your friend's second hand opinions, why not check out a few things yourself.

I was talking to a friend yesterday and he said to me 'all Porsche Cayenne drivers are idiots'. This is his opinion, not mine, just because I have repeated it here does that mean it's right?

Garry Walker
29th February 2008, 15:30
For you to sprout the crap you continue to do about your friend's opinions without bothering to do any of your own research tells me a lot about you.....
My time is limited. In any case I know quite a few ozzies and they all share similar views. Just this one was ready to actually write them down.
Funnily, Daniel has not been able to refute even one thing I stated there.

Also as a matter of fact, as Daniel said, whilst he may not presently live in Australia, he is still an Australian, which is something you don't seem capable of believing. And my friend actually lives in Australia, so I would say he has a better understanding of the issues there than Daniel.

Rather than give us your friend's second hand opinions, why not check out a few things yourself. Again, point the silly me to the right direction. Refute what was said, prove it wrong.
So far you have done nothing besides rabbited on about how wrong and stupid my friend is and how wrong I am. But haven`t actually proven anything.

I was talking to a friend yesterday and he said to me 'all Porsche Cayenne drivers are idiots'. This is his opinion, not mine, just because I have repeated it here does that mean it's right? For you to make such a comparison, speaks volumes about your intelligence.

Anyway, I did some research of my own into it for my own pleasure and here are a few links to give :D .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/26/waborigin126.xml

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2008/02/20/3404_ntnews.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6756515.stm

Camelopard
29th February 2008, 15:49
For you to make such a comparison, speaks volumes about your intelligence.

It's called sarcasm, something you right wingers should be well and truely used to.

Camelopard
29th February 2008, 15:56
For you to make such a comparison, speaks volumes about your intelligence.

Anyway, I did some research of my own into it for my own pleasure and here are a few links to give.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/26/waborigin126.xml

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2008/02/20/3404_ntnews.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6756515.stm

It's called sarcasm, and lo and behold you do have the time to do some of your own research :p :.

Garry Walker
29th February 2008, 15:59
It's called sarcasm, and lo and behold you do have the time to do some of your own research :p :.

Seems my friends opinion + with 2 minutes of research from me have proven you guys wrong then :D

Daniel
29th February 2008, 16:17
Yes. You have with 2 minutes reseatch changed what I learnt and experienced in 23 years of living in Australia.

No one denys that those things happen. Doesn't mean the stolen generation doesn't exist.

Give me some time and I could probably find stories of being down in the South of your country doing similar things anyway.

Camelopard
29th February 2008, 16:27
I do not believe the article in the Telegraph, it has not been reported in the Australian media at all. In fact the only reference I can find in a quick search is just the Telegraph article, now spreading like wildfire around the internet.

As I thought I made myself clear earlier on just because it is reported on the web, or for that matter in a newspaper doesn't mean it's true.

Given time I'm damned certain that I could dig up similar stories about the indigenous peoples of where you live.

Garry Walker
29th February 2008, 16:28
Yes. You have with 2 minutes reseatch changed what I learnt and experienced in 23 years of living in Australia.
Exactly. Actually, todays education is largely ruled by "white guilt", so issues have been made much greater than they actually were.

No one denys that those things happen. Doesn't mean the stolen generation doesn't exist. It was never denied that the stolen generation exists, but abos were not the only one who had children taken from them. The media and others seem to forget that.

Give me some time and I could probably find stories of being down in the South of your country doing similar things anyway.
Where do you think I live? America? UK? You are mistaken :D

In anycase, these links (2 of them that is) weren`t about single cases, they were about widespread abuse. More so than what you will find in any southern state in America.

Garry Walker
29th February 2008, 16:34
I do not believe the article in the Telegraph, it has not been reported in the Australian media at all. In fact the only reference I can find in a quick search is just the Telegraph article, now spreading like wildfire around the internet.

As I thought I made myself clear earlier on just because it is reported on the web, or for that matter in a newspaper doesn't mean it's true.

Given time I'm damned certain that I could dig up similar stories about the indigenous peoples of where you live.

Of course, the article has been made up. Totally. Telegraph has it in for abos, they are right-wing racists :rotflmao:

Has australian media ever dared to report something bad about abos, or is it all too racist?

You have as much time as you want :D

Daniel
29th February 2008, 16:35
Exactly. Actually, todays education is largely ruled by "white guilt", so issues have been made much greater than they actually were.

It was never denied that the stolen generation exists, but abos were not the only one who had children taken from them. The media and others seem to forget that.

Where do you think I live? America? UK? You are mistaken :D

In anycase, these links (2 of them that is) weren`t about single cases, they were about widespread abuse. More so than what you will find in any southern state in America.
Can you stop referring to Aboriginals as "abo's"? That's an offensive term. Much like in the USA if you were to call a black person a coon or something. It's just not done.

If you keep on acting the way you're acting I'll keep on assuming you're one of these stereotypical yokel Americans.

Daniel
29th February 2008, 16:38
Of course, the article has been made up. Totally. Telegraph has it in for abos, they are right-wing racists :rotflmao:

Has australian media ever dared to report something bad about abos, or is it all too racist?

You have as much time as you want :D

Man. Stop using racist language and people will stop thinking you're a right wing racist loony.

Garry Walker
29th February 2008, 16:51
Can you stop referring to Aboriginals as "abo's"? That's an offensive term. Much like in the USA if you were to call a black person a coon or something. It's just not done.

If you keep on acting the way you're acting I'll keep on assuming you're one of these stereotypical yokel Americans.

As I said, I am not an american and I have no idea what "yokel" means. But if you want to assume that, keep doing it, I don`t care.

Were you offended when I referred to aborginal people as "abos?"

Man. Stop using racist language and people will stop thinking you're a right wing racist loony.

Again, I don`t care the slightest what people like you think of me.

Nor did I use racist language anywhere anyway, abo is just much easier to type than aboriginal :D

Garry Walker
29th February 2008, 16:55
I looked up the meaning of the word "yokel."

What a hypocrite you are for having a go at me for saying the word "abo" and then using a "racist" term yourself.

:D

Daniel
29th February 2008, 16:58
Yokel is not racist.

What you typed was racist and I provided evidence of this in my report.

Garry Walker
29th February 2008, 17:03
Yokel is not racist.

What you typed was racist and I provided evidence of this in my report.

I have found that whenever a liberal starts accusing someone of being racist, it happens when he knows he has no arguments left.

MrJan
29th February 2008, 17:03
I looked up the meaning of the word "yokel."

What a hypocrite you are for having a go at me for saying the word "abo" and then using a "racist" term yourself.

:D

I find it quite amusing that you call everyone stupid but still have to look up the term 'yokel'

MrJan
29th February 2008, 17:04
I was talking to a friend yesterday and he said to me 'all Porsche Cayenne drivers are idiots'. This is his opinion, not mine, just because I have repeated it here does that mean it's right?

:D ;)

Camelopard
29th February 2008, 17:05
'Abo' is considered racist language in Australia which once again shows your ignorance. I'm sure you know what a yokel is, you know country bumpkin, there are lots of them in Canada.

I'm guessing you are Canadian and I would think that the term 'Abo' is classed as racist or derogatory, hence you would know what you are saying is not something used in polite society.

"Sadly, our history with respect to the treatment of Aboriginal people is not something in which we can take pride. Attitudes of racial and cultural superiority led to a suppression of Aboriginal culture and values. As a country, we are burdened by past actions that resulted in weakening the identity of Aboriginal peoples, suppressing their languages and cultures, and outlawing spiritual practices. We must recognize the impact of these actions on the once self-sustaining nations that were disaggregated, disrupted, limited or even destroyed by the dispossession of traditional territory, by the relocation of Aboriginal people, and by some provisions of the Indian Act. We must acknowledge that the result of these actions was the erosion of the political, economic and social systems of Aboriginal people and nations.

Guess which country the above quote is about? Nope not Australia but Canada:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/AILR/2000/10.html

Seems that Canada apologised:

"Against the backdrop of these historical legacies, it is a remarkable tribute to the strength and endurance of Aboriginal people that they have maintained their historic diversity and identity. The Government of Canada today formally expresses to all Aboriginal people in Canada our profound regret for past actions of the federal government which have contributed to these difficult pages in the history of our relationship together."

Wow doesn't this sound familiar? "
One aspect of our relationship with Aboriginal people over this period that requires particular attention is the Residential School system. This system separated many children from their families and communities and prevented them from speaking their own languages and from learning about their heritage and cultures. In the worst cases, it left legacies of personal pain and distress that continue to reverberate in Aboriginal communities to this day. Tragically, some children were the victims of physical and sexual abuse."

I won't quote any more but it makes for very enlightened reading.

Garry Walker
29th February 2008, 17:10
Abo is considered racist language in Australia

I don`t know australian slang or what is considered racist there, nor should I.
If not knowing the slang of every country makes me ignorant, great :D

which once again shows your ignorance. I'm sure you know what a yokel is, you know country bumpkin,
there are lots of them in Canada.
:rotflmao: Are you trying one country after another now? I am not from Canada either :D .

I am quite enjoying this one :D

MrJan
29th February 2008, 17:12
As far I am aware 'Abo' is considered racist in pretty much every country.

Camelopard
29th February 2008, 17:12
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22940766-2703,00.html

"
In 1998, Canada's former Indian affairs minister Jane Stewart officially apologised for the removal practices, acknowledging widespread physical and sexual abuse.
The apology unleashed a wave of lawsuits that provided the impetus for a negotiated settlement between Ottawa and First Nations representatives. "

Garry Walker
29th February 2008, 17:15
As far I am aware 'Abo' is considered racist in pretty much every country.

Not here.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22940766-2703,00.html

"
In 1998, Canada's former Indian affairs minister Jane Stewart officially apologised for the removal practices, acknowledging widespread physical and sexual abuse.
The apology unleashed a wave of lawsuits that provided the impetus for a negotiated settlement between Ottawa and First Nations representatives. "

Why are you going off-topic?

Firstgear
29th February 2008, 17:39
[quote="Camelopard"]

"The Government of Canada today formally expresses to all Aboriginal people in Canada our profound REGRET...[quote]

A day or two after the Aussie apology, I heard an interview on the radio with the Grand Chief of the First Nations People here in Canada.

He said he was impressed with the Aussie PM's apology, but said that the Canadian one a few years ago wasn't acceptable. Apparently when you use the word 'regret' instead of 'apologize' their isn't as much of a legal ($$$$) value to it.

On another note, I've never heard the term 'abo' but would assume it has certain conotations. Over here Indian and Aboriginal could both be taken as negative. Now they they call themselves "First Nations" and it is getting similar conotations. Another few years, and it may be time for another name change.

Daniel
29th February 2008, 20:27
I find it quite amusing that you call everyone stupid but still have to look up the term 'yokel'

Rather!

I have found that whenever a liberal starts accusing someone of being racist, it happens when he knows he has no arguments left.

What makes you think I'm a liberal? :confused:

Daniel
29th February 2008, 20:30
"The Government of Canada today formally expresses to all Aboriginal people in Canada our profound REGRET...

A day or two after the Aussie apology, I heard an interview on the radio with the Grand Chief of the First Nations People here in Canada.

He said he was impressed with the Aussie PM's apology, but said that the Canadian one a few years ago wasn't acceptable. Apparently when you use the word 'regret' instead of 'apologize' their isn't as much of a legal ($$$$) value to it.

On another note, I've never heard the term 'abo' but would assume it has certain conotations. Over here Indian and Aboriginal could both be taken as negative. Now they they call themselves "First Nations" and it is getting similar conotations. Another few years, and it may be time for another name change.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=abbo If you ever wondered what Abbo meant!

Firstgear
29th February 2008, 20:40
Yes, I pretty much figured out what it means, I'm just saying I've never heard the term before. Lots of other negative terms for the Indigenous/Aboriginal people of NA, but not that.

ShiftingGears
29th February 2008, 23:03
I've always found Abo short for Aboriginal.

And urbandictionary is a very entertaining site. :D

BDunnell
29th February 2008, 23:28
Not here.

Where are you? Bhutan? Austria? The Democratic Republic of Congo?

pino
1st March 2008, 06:05
Thread almost cleaned and let's keep it that way. Garry, please loose the "Abo" from now on...thank you !

Camelopard
10th June 2008, 04:51
Good to see that Canada is finally following Australia's lead and apologising:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23840769-23109,00.html