PDA

View Full Version : Good one Gordon Kirby!!

CCFanatic
12th February 2008, 21:38
The Way It Is/ More open-wheel blues

by Gordon Kirby

Everyone wanted to know this past week whether IRL and Champ Car really are trying to find a way to come together and bring an end to the bitterly divisive, thirteen-year civil war that has ruined American open-wheel racing. We all hoped it would happen of course, but I'm afraid too much damage has been done and there are too many important details to be resolved, particularly at this late stage with less than two months before the season begins. Then at the end of last week Champ Car issued a brief statement saying the latest talks had failed again.

If Tony George, Honda, Kevin Kalkhoven and Jerry Forsythe had been able to work out an eleventh-hour deal to make a merger happen there would have been a large number of seriously injured entities from spurned Champ Car tracks to drivers whose personal sponsorship deals were based on foreign races. There would also have been a tremendous amount of disgruntlement from the small Champ Car teams who would have had little time or resources to properly prepare themselves to go racing with a new car/engine package and from the smaller IRL teams who would have found themselves blown off by the better Champ Car teams and reduced to roles as even more marginal players. And too, a merger may also have presaged the ultimate destruction of Cosworth, one of racing's most historic and accomplished engine builders--although that sad occurence may yet happen.

In fact, the past few weeks' desperate attempts to bring to the two series together underlines the complete lack of any business plan and the utter incompetence of both groups. Neither of them has any understanding or appreciation for the complexities of motor racing. Nor do they care about the fans who they have treated with such contempt for so many years. Attempting to stitch together a rushed and poorly thought-out merger was bound to result in many mistakes and further invite the rapacious effects of the laws of unintended consequences. And of course, the history of corporate mergers is full of stories of failure.

Will the dilettante's who have destroyed American open-wheel racing find a way to fix the mess they've created? As I've written repeatedly, to achieve their goal they must not only resolve the many, many issues resulting from their thirteen-year civil war, but they must invent a technically interesting, 'green' formula which will attract multiple manufacturers and car builders and will also remake the Indy car as a spectacularly impressive racing machine, distinctly different from NASCAR, that will appeal to both race fans around the world as well as a broader audience.

Thus far, I've heard nothing--absolutely nothing!--from anyone in IRL or Champ Car about how to tackle this big question. I'm afraid the whole lot of them are small thinkers, incapable of making the major decisions required to turn around a failed sport. As I've also written many times, I hope I'm wrong, but everything IRL and Champ Car have done over the past thirteen years tells me I'm right. Their miserable roles in the history of racing are almost assured unless they are able to pry themselves off the floor they've sunk to and surprise us with some brilliant solutions and concepts for the future.

Gordon is sounding pretty right to me.

Chaparral66
12th February 2008, 22:08
Gordon is sounding pretty right to me.

CC, Gordon Kirby may not be as controversial as his good friend Robin Miller, but he's often just as accurate. This column is no exception.

Lemmy-Boy
13th February 2008, 21:16
Kirby's work is always a pleasure to read. Unlike his friend R.Miller, he chooses his word carefully but still gets the same message across.

Chaparral66
13th February 2008, 21:19
Kirby's work is always a pleasure to read. Unlike his friend R.Miller, he chooses his word carefully but still gets the same message across.

Sometimes diplomacy loses the message that needs to be heard. I like Robin Miller's direct approach. Sometimes I want the real story without the sugarcoating. Miller is fine with me.

garyshell
13th February 2008, 23:37
Sometimes diplomacy loses the message that needs to be heard. I like Robin Miller's direct approach. Sometimes I want the real story without the sugarcoating. Miller is fine with me.

And sometimes the messenger thinks he is as important, if not more important than the story. I am glad we get to hear from BOTH of them. Please note I said SOMETIMES. Robin doesn't always do that, but he has had his moments.

Gary

Chaparral66
14th February 2008, 01:27
And sometimes the messenger thinks he is as important, if not more important than the story. I am glad we get to hear from BOTH of them. Please note I said SOMETIMES. Robin doesn't always do that, but he has had his moments.

Gary

Take it from me, since I work in the media and I've seen them, anyone who writes a celebrated column like Robin Miller has some diva in him. You get used to getting that kind of attention, it comes with the territory. IMHO, we and the sport are better with Robin than without him.

garyshell
14th February 2008, 05:14
Take it from me, since I work in the media and I've seen them, anyone who writes a celebrated column like Robin Miller has some diva in him. You get used to getting that kind of attention, it comes with the territory. IMHO, we and the sport are better with Robin than without him.

No arguement with ANYTHING in those comments.

Gary

ZzZzZz
14th February 2008, 12:37
I agree with Kirby. What's going on now doesn't sound like a merger to me. There's no guarantee a majority of the teams would go to the IRL!

How many would make it long term? How many existing IRL teams would be displaced (like the last couple influxes)? Sure, this time the IRL won't see a net loss of entrants, but I'd be really surprised if the net gain is more than 4 cars, after things settle out in a couple years. Not that I'd mind.

millencolin
14th February 2008, 16:20

well said.

What i can't understand is why both series aare working towards a merger now. why not wait and get every fine detail sorted for 2009? teams, tracks, sponsors, cars etc. merging now would lead to a host of problems (i'm sure assen, jerez and mexico city would not be happy)... one more year of Champcar/IRL... THEN merge into the...

INDYCAR WORLD SERIES!!!! (in which Will Power or Ryan Briscoe will become champion)

Wraith
14th February 2008, 16:37
I think the reason for trying to shove them together now...is surprisingly well-connected to the Long Beach Grand Prix, and the notion of losing it the rhythm of its running, even for only one year. Also, if CCWS dies and IRL wins, will many fans feel as happy (or even REMOTELY close) as they would if their series (the former, specifically) was merged, and thus capable of being considered half of the new whole?

Emotions, here. Nevermind the realities Kirby points out, which serve to illuminate the stark differences between open-wheel and That Other Form that so many seem to want to recast open-wheel's image in.

garyshell
14th February 2008, 16:41
What i can't understand is why both series aare working towards a merger now. why not wait and get every fine detail sorted for 2009? teams, tracks, sponsors, cars etc. merging now would lead to a host of problems (i'm sure assen, jerez and mexico city would not be happy)... one more year of Champcar/IRL... THEN merge into the...

Then what becomes of 2008? Do you try to run it or shut it down? Neither will REALLY work. If you shut it down, the tracks, teams and promoters you want for 2009 will loose a year of revenue. And if you do try to run it, who will want to participate in a known "lame duck" series? Its a no win situation either way.

Gary

rabf1
14th February 2008, 17:26
There is never going to be a "merger." CC will fail and some teams and races will be absorbed by the IRL. All it will take is 1 or 2 teams switching this year and CC will not be able to answer the bell.

Chaparral66
15th February 2008, 00:04
Then what becomes of 2008? Do you try to run it or shut it down? Neither will REALLY work. If you shut it down, the tracks, teams and promoters you want for 2009 will loose a year of revenue. And if you do try to run it, who will want to participate in a known "lame duck" series? Its a no win situation either way.

Gary

This was a no-win situation when this BS started in 1996...

LTalbot
15th February 2008, 01:02

Agreed. There is no way there is a Win Win in this. It's that old saying "you can't make an omlet without breaking an egg" Lots of folks are going to get hurt in this, but it just has to be. From the tracks where the champ car races would have been held in 2008 to the Atlantics. They will really get screwed. Personally, I'll also miss the Portland and Cleveland races, and the return to Laguna Seca, but some could return in 2009.

It's a necessary evil, no matter how half thought out the merger is. Of course it's just my opinion.

garyshell
15th February 2008, 06:21

No argument there, my friend!

Gary