PDA

View Full Version : Best Vodka in the world

agwiii
12th January 2007, 17:59
There is an excellent discussion of the growth of “super premium” brands of vodka in a recent issue of Cigar Aficionado. Some of these vodkas are over $50. for a fifth, which seems extreme for neutral spirits. The New York Times conducted their double blind taste test and the winner was the triple-distilled Smirnoff vodka. So, three questions.

1. What do you consider the best vodka in the world.
2. If you can’t get/afford the best, what is your favorite vodka?
3. How do you like to drink it?

Finally, I’ve seen a number of articles on using a carbon filtering system like Pur or Brita to filter the “el cheapo” brands of vodka. Has anyone given this a whirl, and what were your results?

LotusElise
12th January 2007, 18:16
There is a beautiful rose petal flavoured vodka from Poland called Lanique. They used to sell it in Revolution bars but not any more. The "turkish delight" flavoured vodka they do is no replacement at all.
If you can get hold of Lanique, it's great just with soda, for a sweet and fragrant vodka experience.

However, my favourite ever vodka drink is a Swedish cocktail called Wolf's Paw, which is warm berry juice with a generous slug of Absolut. goes down wonderfully on a cold day.

odykas
12th January 2007, 18:26
Anyone tried this?

http://www.vodkakalashnikov.com/images/kal2_b.jpg

:D

jim mcglinchey
12th January 2007, 18:44
..you can empty that clip into me any old time...Barman, give me a shot etc etc

agwiii
12th January 2007, 18:53
Anyone tried this?

http://www.vodkakalashnikov.com/images/kal2_b.jpg

Fantastic! I want it!

jim mcglinchey
12th January 2007, 19:07
Bet ya its Absolut piss and tastes Vladivar awful (got to stop those crappy puns ) but who could resist that presentation.

Gannex
12th January 2007, 19:21
I cannot tell the difference between one vodka and another. So when a bartender asks me what vodka I would like, I always reply "the cheapest you've got", which annoys my wife intensely! She thinks I am an embarrassment.

schmenke
12th January 2007, 19:30
Koskenkorva ;) :D

Tomi
12th January 2007, 19:39
Koskenkorva ;) :D

good choise, other good are, Stolishnaja, Wyborova, Subrovka is good too.

viper_man
12th January 2007, 22:20
Smirnoff Norsk is by a long way the best Vodka ever. I also like a bit of Skyy or Grey Goose once in a while

schmenke
12th January 2007, 22:59
Grey Goose is actually not bad. Taken with just a dash of cold water :up:

Valve Bounce
12th January 2007, 23:05
There is an excellent discussion of the growth of “super premium” brands of vodka in a recent issue of Cigar Aficionado. Some of these vodkas are over $50. for a fifth, which seems extreme for neutral spirits. The New York Times conducted their double blind taste test and the winner was the triple-distilled Smirnoff vodka. So, three questions.

1. What do you consider the best vodka in the world.
2. If you can’t get/afford the best, what is your favorite vodka?
3. How do you like to drink it?

Finally, I’ve seen a number of articles on using a carbon filtering system like Pur or Brita to filter the “el cheapo” brands of vodka. Has anyone given this a whirl, and what were your results?

It all depends if you mix it or drink it straight. If you make a Bloody Mary or a Screwdriver or even mix it with beer, then it really doesn't matter what brand you get - the cheapest is the best provided it is not the home brewed stuff.

I strongly advise those not used to Vodka to ve very careful with this drink - it is the only drink that affected me in the following manner: I would have a mental blackout and could still cary on with conversations and even dance. My host allowed me to drive home; she thought I was not drunk. I could not remember driving home at all.

millencolin
13th January 2007, 03:50
they all taste the same to me... just put some red bull in it and ill be right

Bulldog#1
13th January 2007, 04:30
i prefer bourbon but if im drinking vodka i like Absolut
Absolut is smooth and mixs good so i tried no more
used to like screwdrivers but now its red bull and Absolut

fly_ac
13th January 2007, 08:27
I drink either Absolut , Smirnoff, Russian Bear or Count Pushkin as is

agwiii
13th January 2007, 19:00
they all taste the same to me... just put some red bull in it and ill be right

That is what I once thought too. I though that neutral spirits = neutral spirits. Then a friend set up a vodka tasting and I was shocked at the differences among the better brands. The inexpensive ones that are sold in plastic jugs are simply much closer to being grain and are harsh.

DonJippo
13th January 2007, 22:22
Danzka currant, straight from that aluminium bottle :up: http://www.danzka.com/

agwiii
14th January 2007, 01:38

I have two questions. Is the currant a bit sweet? Do you keep this in the freezer? Is the aluminum bottle annodized or somehow protected from the vodka? (Okay - three questions.)

agwiii
14th January 2007, 01:42
Ok, it's my turn. I don't actually have a favorite, but I enjoy:

Blavod
Tito's Handmade
Rain
Grey Goose

And -- el cheapo that has gone through 20 passes through a fresh Brita filter. I also have two flavorings that I use to create two flavore vodka. The first is the orange - I use orange zest and let it steep for about two weeks. The second is dangerous. Chili. I split open the following and allow them to steep more than two weeks. Two Savina Habanero chilis. Four Serrano. Two New Mexico green chili. This must be used with care and can only be stored in a glass bottle.

hammer
14th January 2007, 04:16
i dont drink vodka cause i dont trust a liquor with no color

Rowdy
14th January 2007, 04:18
if it can be mixed i will drink it

V-8power
14th January 2007, 04:20
give me beer and keep your rotka

drcritical
14th January 2007, 04:42
hard liquor to excess will kill your liver

rimryder
14th January 2007, 04:47
beer flushs your kidneys so that makes it good for you
right doc? heehee

agwiii
14th January 2007, 11:38
hard liquor to excess will kill your liver

Anything to excess is bad for you.

agwiii
14th January 2007, 11:39
i dont drink vodka cause i dont trust a liquor with no color

Then you'll like Blavod. It is as black as ink.

DonJippo
14th January 2007, 11:54
I have two questions. Is the currant a bit sweet? Do you keep this in the freezer? Is the aluminum bottle annodized or somehow protected from the vodka? (Okay - three questions.)

1. it's not sweet it has the flavour but not sweetness
2. yes and due to aluminium is chills a lot faster than glass bottle
3. i believe it is but don't know for sure

agwiii
14th January 2007, 12:16
1. it's not sweet it has the flavour but not sweetness
2. yes and due to aluminium is chills a lot faster than glass bottle
3. i believe it is but don't know for sure

1. Sounds interesting. I don't care for sweet drinks.

2. Yes - glass is a great insulator and aluminum is a great conductor.

3. Some beer drinkers claim to taste the difference between beer in a bottle and beer in a can. I would imagine they spent more money/time on their aluminum bottle.

Now the trick is to track this down locally!

jim mcglinchey
14th January 2007, 12:36

Are you saying that Vodka will dissolve aloominum?

FrankenSchwinn
14th January 2007, 18:05
Ok, it's my turn. I don't actually have a favorite, but I enjoy:

Blavod
Tito's Handmade
Rain
Grey Goose

And -- el cheapo that has gone through 20 passes through a fresh Brita filter. I also have two flavorings that I use to create two flavore vodka. The first is the orange - I use orange zest and let it steep for about two weeks. The second is dangerous. Chili. I split open the following and allow them to steep more than two weeks. Two Savina Habanero chilis. Four Serrano. Two New Mexico green chili. This must be used with care and can only be stored in a glass bottle.

damn, a connaiseur! i'm glad to see that i am not the only vodka fan here!

3. Some beer drinkers claim to taste the difference between beer in a bottle and beer in a can. I would imagine they spent more money/time on their aluminum bottle.

Now the trick is to track this down locally!

aluminum cans have a ceramic coating (very very thin) so, technically, the metal is never in contact with the liquid. as far as i remember they do this for every metal stored food (look inside your refried beans cans, it's easy to see the coating there). the beer drinkers that i've encountered who claimed this would usually drink Nat'l Ice and usually out of ripped cans anyway. i think if Guinness and Saporo can put their beers in cans then that technique is probably ok.

as far as vodka, if it's just for some social times then either the Svenka or Skyy will do. if it's more for special times then i usually go for some Grey Goose or Belvedere (that was the name of the house that i grew up in!). i did find a vodka in France that i forgot the name of (it was that good!) which was great. i was also rather impressed with Reyka vodka which is supposed to be distilled through lava rocks and made with the pure Icelandic water. i have seen the Danzka but never tried it. to tell you the truth, i was a bit apprehensive because of the metal bottle. but if a Finn says it's good vodka then i should take a trip to the store.

Storm
15th January 2007, 06:24
Absolut, Stolichnaya or Smirnoff :)

Janne
15th January 2007, 14:23
Russki Standard, hands down winner ...

agwiii
15th January 2007, 15:12
Tasting Report: In the Best-Selling Category, a Best Seller Stands Out

BEST VALUE
Smirnoff United States Grain
80 proof
$13
Pure, clean and ultrasmooth, with pleasing texture and classic vodka aroma.

Wyborowa Poland Single Estate Rye
80 proof 1 liter
$30
Elegant and intriguing, with mild flavors and great persistence.

Belvedere Poland Rye
80 proof 1 liter
$34
Great smoothness and purity, with good texture and body.

Absolut Sweden Level Grain
80 proof
$24
** 1/2
Smooth and substantial, with flavors of flowers, lemon grass or nuts.

Hangar 1 United States Straight Wheat and Grain
80 proof
$30
** 1/2
Pleasing, with complex flavors and a suggestion of sweetness.

Vox Netherlands Wheat
80 proof
$23
** 1/2
Smooth and neutral, with savory flavors and a touch of alcoholic heat.

Olifant Netherlands Grain
80 proof 1 liter
$17
Subtle, yet rich and complex.

42 Below New Zealand Wheat
84 proof
$24
Straightforward, pure and smooth.

Skyy United States Grain
80 proof 1 liter
$16
Unusual flavors of mint and lime.

Teton Glacier United States Potato
80 proof 1 liter
$20
Clean and light on the palate; odorless and tasteless.

The entire article's URL is http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/26/dining/26wine.html?pagewanted=2&ei=5088&en=5913ec796f54a33c&ex=1264482000&partner=rssnyt

SteveA
15th January 2007, 16:09
Then you'll like Blavod. It is as black as ink.

Actually its very dark green.

Kaiser
15th January 2007, 16:33
Chopin is a VERY VERY good vodka and has won a number of taste tests. A little on the pricey side though.

jim mcglinchey
15th January 2007, 16:51
Tasting Report: In the Best-Selling Category, a Best Seller Stands Out

BEST VALUE
Smirnoff United States Grain
80 proof
$13
Pure, clean and ultrasmooth, with pleasing texture and classic vodka aroma.

Wyborowa Poland Single Estate Rye
80 proof 1 liter
$30
Elegant and intriguing, with mild flavors and great persistence.

Belvedere Poland Rye
80 proof 1 liter
$34
Great smoothness and purity, with good texture and body.

Absolut Sweden Level Grain
80 proof
$24
** 1/2
Smooth and substantial, with flavors of flowers, lemon grass or nuts.

Hangar 1 United States Straight Wheat and Grain
80 proof
$30
** 1/2
Pleasing, with complex flavors and a suggestion of sweetness.

Vox Netherlands Wheat
80 proof
$23
** 1/2
Smooth and neutral, with savory flavors and a touch of alcoholic heat.

Olifant Netherlands Grain
80 proof 1 liter
$17
Subtle, yet rich and complex.

42 Below New Zealand Wheat
84 proof
$24
Straightforward, pure and smooth.

Skyy United States Grain
80 proof 1 liter
$16
Unusual flavors of mint and lime.

Teton Glacier United States Potato
80 proof 1 liter
$20
Clean and light on the palate; odorless and tasteless.

The entire article's URL is http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/26/dining/26wine.html?pagewanted=2&ei=5088&en=5913ec796f54a33c&ex=1264482000&partner=rssnyt

Yeah, but will any of them dissolve aloominum... I only want it if it can dissolve a 4-piston Brembo brake caliper overnight.

agwiii
15th January 2007, 20:09
Actually its very dark green.

Not the bottle I have in my bar, or what they serve as a "Black Martini" at the Breakers. Perhaps it changes - curiously, it is from the UK.

FrankenSchwinn
16th January 2007, 02:11
Yeah, but will any of them dissolve aloominum... I only want it if it can dissolve a 4-piston Brembo brake caliper overnight.

hehe, that's my kind of talk!

anyway, have any of you seen what this moron put out: http://www.gawker.com/news/donald-trump/trump-launches-super-premium-ultra-fantastic-vodka-139895.php

agwii, taste them. i've tasted most of them (NZ and the teton are the only ones i think i havent tasted) and i cannot agree on most of what you pasted.

FrankenSchwinn
16th January 2007, 02:15

i went to the store today and picked up one of the last bottles of the fruity cranberry/rasberry kind. i hate to give the h**os props but the Svenska has better rasberry vodka. i'll keep an eye out for the currant kind.

agwiii
16th January 2007, 02:18
hehe, that's my kind of talk!

anyway, have any of you seen what this moron put out: http://www.gawker.com/news/donald-trump/trump-launches-super-premium-ultra-fantastic-vodka-139895.php

agwii, taste them. i've tasted most of them (NZ and the teton are the only ones i think i havent tasted) and i cannot agree on most of what you pasted.

We groaned together over the Trump excrement! I've tasted a few of them. You don't agree with the NY Times test? I wonder about their testing, but the Smirnoff is quite good. What also come to mind with flavored vodkas -- Gin is nothing more than flavored vodka. Where do we draw the lines?

Tomi
16th January 2007, 06:17
Traditionally Vodka is distilled from grain or potatoe, theese cranberry flavored and other simular "childrens vodka" are quite new phenomen.

DonJippo
16th January 2007, 10:31
i went to the store today and picked up one of the last bottles of the fruity cranberry/rasberry kind. i hate to give the h**os props but the Svenska has better rasberry vodka. i'll keep an eye out for the currant kind.

Maybe I should have added the following..."when enjoyed on cold wet Saturday morning at 5:30 am next to Moksi-Leustu stage in 1000 Lakes"... ;)

agwiii
16th January 2007, 13:43
Traditionally Vodka is distilled from grain or potatoe, theese cranberry flavored and other simular "childrens vodka" are quite new phenomen.

Exactly right Tomi. Since vodka is by definition, neutral spirits, anything could be used. If you steep juniper and some other herbs in the neutral spirits, you have gin, but you no longer have neutral spirits. It makes me wonder if these new "flavored" vodkas are still vodka, or if they have morphed into a new form. I think I'd call them "Ladies vodka." It is an interesting phenomenon to add the fruit flavor (or whatever) to the vodka, rather than using the mixer to bring in the flavors.

Tomi
16th January 2007, 14:25
Yes, but if distilled from grapes or something else as well it does not count as vodka here, France and other countries who have huge overproducion of wine would want to start to distill, and sell it as vodka, other sell the stuff made from grapes as Grappa or Palinka for instance, Vodka is not only a name but also a name that includes a process, made of grain or potatoe + water, what comes to the others it's made up by marketmen to sell crap.

agwiii
16th January 2007, 14:39
Yes, but if distilled from grapes or something else as well it does not count as vodka here, France and other countries who have huge overproducion of wine would want to start to distill, and sell it as vodka, other sell the stuff made from grapes as Grappa or Palinka for instance, Vodka is not only a name but also a name that includes a process, made of grain or potatoe + water, what comes to the others it's made up by marketmen to sell crap.

I believe Three Olives vodka is made from grapes, which blurs the distinction between grappa and vodka. And then there's Raki, which seems to be an anise flavored grape vodka/grappa/palinka. Oh well! Bottoms Up!

stevcatter
26th July 2013, 11:18
My point of Eristoff vodka is one of the best vodka in the world.

airshifter
26th July 2013, 17:04
Talk about bumping an old thread! :laugh: I wondered how or why so many people responded about a Vodka thread, as I never recalled seeing it when it was posted. Many of the members should be added to the "where are they now" thread sadly.

But to stay on topic... I don't drink much Vodka. Recently I did do a couple shots of some brand a buy brought back from Russia, and it was the best Vodka I remember drinking. Smooth with some good bite at the end. Kinda like good moonshine. :)