Hybrid View

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Miami GP: Verstappen beats Leclerc in Saturday Sprint.
    Max Verstappen didn't have the best of starts to Saturday's Sprint race in Miami, but he rebuffed any ideas that Charles Leclerc might have had of taking the lead into turn 1 and from there went on to maintain a firm grip on proceedings.
    04/05/2024 at 17:46
    Andrew Lewin
    F1i.com

The race saw an early safety car after a four-wide incident sparked by a move down the inside into turn 1 by Lewis Hamilton caused the Aston Martin cars to make contact with Lando Norris coming to a halt by the trackside. Hamilton had made a move down the inside of turn 1 after a flying start in the Mercedes but escaped unscathed despite being the primary instigator.

However Alonso needed to pit for a new front wing as Stroll also headed to pit lane - to retire. Meanwhile Ocon cheekily pitted to serve his ten-second penalty under the safety car. Some fantastic driving enabled Ricciardo to narrowly secure fourth and pick up his first points of the season ahead of Sainz and Piastri. Hulkenberg crossed the line in seventh ahead of Hamilton who had managed to get the jump on Tsunoda on the final lap.

However instead of picking up a point, Hamilton was subsequently handed a drive-thru penalty for speeding in pit lane during the race. That restored Tsunoda to eighth in the final classifications as Hamilton dropped to P16.

‘He rebuffed any ideas that Charles Leclerc might have had’;

https://f1i.com/news/506964-miami-gp...ay-sprint.html

Miami Grand Prix 2024 – F1 Sprint Race Results
    Red Bull driver Max Verstappen continues to reign supreme in Miami and took victory in the Sprint Race at the 2024 Miami Grand Prix. Full Sprint Race results
    4 May 2024
    By John Smith
    Total Motorsport

F1 Miami GP 2024 – Sprint Race Results
    Pos Driver Team Time
    1 Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing 19 Laps
    2 Charles Leclerc Ferrari +3.371
    3 Sergio Perez Red Bull Racing +5.095
    4 Daniel Ricciardo RB +14.971
    5 Carlos Sainz Ferrari +15.222
    6 Oscar Piastri McLaren +15.750
    7 Nico Hulkenberg Haas F1 Team +22.054
    8 Yuki Tsunoda RB +29.347
    9 Pierre Gasly Alpine +29.816
    10 Logan Sargeant Williams +31.303

‘Red Bull driver Max Verstappen continues to reign supreme’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...-race-results/

Verstappen collects sprint race win from pole as Norris crashes out at start
    4th May 2024, 17:5
    Written by Will Wood
    RaceFans

Max Verstappen converted sprint race pole into victory in the sprint race of the Miami Grand Prix ahead of Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc. The championship leader extended his advantage at the top of the table with eight points for victory in the sprint race, three seconds ahead of Leclerc.

Sergio Perez completed the top three behind the Ferrari driver after overtaking Daniel Ricciardo, who had got ahead of him at the start. Carlos Sainz Jnr was fourth after being unable to pass the RB driver, with Oscar Piastri sixth for McLaren, Nico Hulkenberg in seventh for Haas.

Lewis Hamilton originally claimed the final point in eighth after passing Yuki Tsunoda on the final lap. But the Mercedes driver was hit with a post-race drive-through penalty for speeding in the pit lane during a Safety Car period. That was converted to a 20-second penalty which That dropped Hamilton to 16th place and promoted Tsunoda to the final point in eighth.

‘Verstappen collects sprint race win’;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/05/04/...-out-at-start/

Lewis Hamilton shrugs off scrappy driving standards in Miami GP Sprint
    The Mercedes driver was involved in contact with four different cars throughout the race
    4 May 2024
    By Brandon Sutton

Lewis Hamilton went through the wars at the Miami International Autodrome as he survived Lap 1 contact with Fernando Alonso, before facing Kevin Magnussen’s extreme defence in the 2024 Miami GP Sprint Race, but he parried it away by saying he enjoyed the racing.

“Yeah, I did,” Hamilton said after being asked if he gave it everything on the track. “I feel okay. I mean it’s obviously tough battling out there and Turn 1 wasn’t intentional to be touching with anyone. But everyone’s pushing as much as possible and I went for a gap, but then I think those guys went wide and then came back across. So that’s kind of where we connected.”

‘In contact with four different cars’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...ami-gp-sprint/

Zak Brown not impressed by Lewis Hamilton driving after Lando Norris DNF at Miami Grand Prix
    Sat 4 May 2024 19:00
    David Comerford
    F1 Oversteer

At one stage, Lando Norris looked the favourite to qualify on pole for the sprint race in Miami. But he ended up walking away without a single point. Norris was electric in SQ1 and SQ2 in his heavily-upgraded McLaren car on Friday. In fact, the lap time he set in the second segment would have been good enough for pole position.

The McLaren Racing CEO said: “It looked like Lewis got overly aggressive, couldn’t get it slowed down for the first corner and drove into a couple of cars that were already driving into themselves already.” McLaren did at least salvage something from the 19-lap race. Oscar Piastri came home in sixth, which earns him three points heading into the main race on Sunday.

‘Not impressed’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/zak...mi-grand-prix/

Max Verstappen ‘not entirely happy’ and wants Red Bull answers despite Miami GP Sprint victory
    The Dutchman converted his pole into a victory in the 2024 Miami GP F1 Sprint but still wasn't entirely happy with his Red Bull car
    4 May 2024
    By Joe Krishnan
    Total Motorsport

Max Verstappen has admitted he is still not satisfied with the balance of his Red Bull car despite winning the F1 Sprint race at the Formula 1 2024 Miami Grand Prix on Saturday.

“I’m still not entirely happy with the balance of the car, so we need to look into that,” Verstappen told the written press in Miami, including Total-Motorsport.com. “A bit too much oversteer, I would say, so we’ll try to fine tune that before qualifying, because I had the same problem yesterday in [sprint] qualifying.”

“So it definitely highlights that what we have at the moment is probably not the best for quali and race. Nevertheless, we won the [sprint] race, which I think is the most important thing and we’ll try to just make it a bit more solid.”

‘Not entirely happy’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...print-victory/

Ricciardo's heroics and Hamilton's misery: Miami GP sprint takeaways
    May 4, 2024
    by Ben Anderson
    The Race

Max Verstappen took his almost inevitable victory in Formula 1’s 2024 Miami sprint race but, like in sprint qualifying, he seemed not to enjoy driving his Red Bull all that much in the process.

Charles Leclerc’s Ferrari survived a pre-race pitlane collision with Esteban Ocon’s Alpine to give Verstappen’s Red Bull some genuine hassle through the opening lap. But the safety car neutralised any momentum Leclerc built up.

And after the restart the Ferrari driver was never able to get within DRS range so ended up driving the remaining 16 of the 19 laps in effective stalemate with Verstappen. Even with Verstappen complaining his Red Bull felt “terrible, zero rear grip, like quali yesterday”, there was just no opening for Leclerc.

‘RICCIARDO HANGS WITH THE BIG DOGS, NORRIS’S MESSY WEEKEND CONTINUES, HAMILTON'S FRUSTRATING RACE’;

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/m...ton-magnussen/

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Max Verstappen beats Charles Leclerc in Miami to claim 7th consecutive F1 pole.
    Max Verstappen will start Sunday’s F1 Miami Grand Prix on pole position after beating Charles Leclerc by 0.141s. Max Verstappen made it seven pole positions in a row as he topped qualifying for the Miami Grand Prix.
    04 May 2024
    Connor McDonagh
    Crash.Net

Like in sprint qualifying, no one could get close enough to Verstappen’s 1m27.241s on the final runs. Verstappen and the two Ferraris failed to improve on their final laps in Q3, ensuring the order remained the same. Sergio Perez did improve on his final lap but narrowly missed out on third by 0.005s.

It means the top four were separated by just 0.219s in qualifying with Verstappen leading Leclerc, Carlos Sainz and Perez. After showing outstanding pace on the mediums in sprint qualifying, Lando Norris attempted to do his first lap in Q3 on them, rather than the favoured softs.

The gamble didn’t pay off as he trailed his teammate after the first run in Q3 before getting ahead of Oscar Piastri to secure fifth. Piastri will start sixth ahead of the two Mercedes drivers of George Russell and Lewis Hamilton.

‘7th consecutive F1 pole’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/104789...cutive-f1-pole

2024 Miami Grand Prix - Qualifying results
    22:18 Sat, 04 May 2024.
    Andrew Lewin
    F1i.com

Full results from qualifying for the Miami Grand Prix at Miami International Autodrome, round 6 of the 2024 Formula 1 season.

2024 Miami Grand Prix - Qualifying results
    Pos Driver Team Q1 Q2 Q3
    1 Max Verstappen Red Bull 1:27.689s 1:27.566s 1:27.241s
    2 Charles Leclerc Ferrari 1:28.081s 1:27.533s 1:27.382s
    3 Carlos Sainz Ferrari 1:27.937s 1:27.941s 1:27.455s
    4 Sergio Pérez Red Bull 1:27.772s 1:27.839s 1:27.460s
    5 Lando Norris McLaren 1:27.913s 1:27.871s 1:27.594s
    6 Oscar Piastri McLaren 1:28.032s 1:27.721s 1:27.675s
    7 George Russell Mercedes 1:28.159s 1:28.095s 1:28.067s
    8 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:28.167s 1:27.697s 1:28.107s
    9 Nico Hülkenberg Haas 1:28.383s 1:28.200s 1:28.146s
    10 Yuki Tsunoda RB 1:28.324s 1:28.167s 1:28.192s

‘Full results’;

https://f1i.com/news/507040-2024-mia...g-results.html

F1 - 2024 Miami Grand Prix - Post-Qualifying Press Conference Transcript
    FIA (Press Release)

DRIVERS
    1 – Max VERSTAPPEN (Red Bull Racing)
    2 – Charles LECLERC (Ferrari)
    3 – Carlos SAINZ (Ferrari)

Q: Here with your pole sitter, Max Verstappen. Max, 38th career pole, six out of six for the season in Grand Prix qualifying. Great start to this weekend. Well, not start, you've already started! You've already done very well so far. But yesterday, you were surprised in qualifying to get the pole based on how the car felt. Did it feel a little bit better today? It looks pretty hooked up?
    Max VERSTAPPEN: I think we definitely improved the car a bit, but I don't know what it is, every single year that we come here, I find it extremely difficult to be very consistent with the car feeling, the tyre feeling over one lap. It's just super hard to make sure that Sector 1 feels good and sector three at the end of the lap. To make that happen together is incredibly tough. And again, today, it was really about finding that balance. I think we did OK. I mean, it's not, let's say, the most enjoyable lap out of my career just because of how slippery it is and how, like… You're not very confident on the lap. But we are on pole, and that's, of course, the most important.

Q: Charles P2, another front-row start this weekend. Same front row as we saw in the Sprint race, but the car looks on the absolute ragged edge out there. How did it feel from in the cockpit? Did you leave anything on the table?
    Charles LECLERC: It felt so much on the limit. Obviously, it was very close until Q3, where when we started to push for the last one or two tenths, we started to lose the tyres in Sector 2 and 3, overheating them quite a bit. Sector 1 was actually feeling really good, but then Sector 2 and 3 we were losing too much. So today, that's where we lost a little bit of time. However, the race is long tomorrow. This morning we showed a good pace. So I hope tomorrow we can put Max under a bit more pressure.

Q: Third place team-mate Carlos Sainz walks up to the cheers of the crowd. Carlos, congrats. Inside row two. Decent step up from Sprint qualifying. How'd the car feel out there?
    Carlos SAINZ: Yeah, honestly, a bit of a shame about this morning. I couldn't get past Daniel, but I know that the pace was there. I knew that with a clean quali, I could be in the top three. And yeah, we managed to do some clean laps. It's really tricky around here with the new Soft. Every lap is a bit of an adventure with the wind. You don't know what's going to happen. And keeping all this in mind, the laps were not too bad.

‘Post-Qualifying Press Conference Transcript’;

https://www.fia.com/news/f1-2024-mia...nce-transcript

Max Verstappen calls for Red Bull to improve after 2024 Miami GP pole
    The Dutchman took pole for the second time at the 2024 Miami GP, but once again he was far from happy
    4 May 2024
    By Brandon Sutton
    Total Motorsport

“I think it’s just just been extremely difficult to put a lap in where everything just works,” Verstappen said to select members of the media, including Total-Motorsport.com. “For some reason, it’s just extremely difficult to make the tyres work around the whole lap. Yet sometimes, you have little moments here and there and it’s just not very consistent.”

“That makes it very difficult to try and hit a perfect lap. So, every lap that you put on the board was a bit of guessing what was going to happen, which doesn’t make it very nice to drive but we think handled the situation really well. We did the best we could and the car definitely felt a little bit nicer compared to yesterday.”

‘Calls for Red Bull to improve’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...miami-gp-pole/

Christian Horner: 'Another phenomenal performance from Max'
    05 May 2024
    Johan Peeters
    Verstappen.nl

Christian Horner, team principal of Oracle Red Bull Racing, reflects after Saturday’s sprint race and qualifying for the Miami Grand Prix: “Overall, a fantastic showing from the Team today with the Sprint race and qualifying here in Miami. We’re always trying to extract the maximum out of our car, and everyone was struggling a bit out there today to find the right balance and set-up on the last run.”

“Max obviously found enough and was able to make it his seventh pole in a row, his sixth of the season, and it was another phenomenal performance from him. Checo put in a really, really strong performance and improved on his second run to put it on the second row, so we’re going into race day in a good position. The Sprint race today gives us a nice window into what the tyres are going to do tomorrow, but we’ll see how it plays out with set-up and conditions on race day.”

'Another phenomenal performance from Max';

https://news.verstappen.com/en/article/5455/

Verstappen sees off Ferraris for Miami GP pole
    May 4, 2024
    Valentin Khorounzhiy
    The Race

Formula 1 points leader Max Verstappen took his first Miami Grand Prix pole position by seeing off a challenge from Charles Leclerc in qualifying on Saturday. Verstappen - who won the two previous Miami Grands Prix without starting either from the front row - beat Leclerc by 0.141s.

‘Verstappen sees off Ferraris’;

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/v...miami-gp-pole/

Max Verstappen ties Alain Prost's record with 6th pole-winning run to open an F1 season
    Sat, May 4, 2024, 10:36 PM
    JENNA FRYER
    Yahoo! UK & Ireland

Max Verstappen: “I don't know what it is, every single year we come here I find it extremely difficult to be consistent with the car feeling, with the tire feeling over one lap,” Verstappen said. “I think we did OK. It's not the most enjoyable lap of my career, but we're on pole and that's the most important.”

The pole-winning run tied Verstappen with Alain Prost in opening the season with six consecutive poles. Prost did it in 1993.

“I think we did OK”;

https://sports.yahoo.com/max-verstap...cRS8Rdf8S-28QX

Ferrari’s double threat to Red Bull and Ricciardo on a charge – What To Watch For in the Miami Grand Prix
    May 4, 2024
    Chris Medland
    Special Contributor
    Formula!.com

Another sweep of the race weekend for Max Verstappen so far but he’s facing a stern challenge from Ferrari in Florida, while McLaren are also loitering with intent. So here are five things to keep an eye on when the lights go out on race day at the Miami International Autodrome…

‘Ferrari’s threat to Red Bull’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...Ma45JhqpjPrbZf